inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dave Chappelle + other Comics

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/06/05 at 2:43 pm

What can i say about the man. He is hilarious, somewhat like Chris Rock + Bill Cosby. He isn't all cuss cuss cuss and he can weave a yarn like anything.

One of my favourite sketches was were he was blind and went to a KKK meeting  ;D I was just crying with laughter.

Who else is a fan of his?

And hey whilst were at it, who else do you think is hilarious?

I am also a big fan of 'The Prophet' Chris Rock, Eddie Murphey and Jimmy Carr. I think Jasper Carrott is hilarious as well, but he really hasn't done anything new for some time now.

Subject: Re: Dave Chappelle + other Comics

Written By: danootaandme on 03/06/05 at 2:46 pm

Richard Pryor.  I still laugh myself sick on some of his sketches.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/06/05 at 2:47 pm

Richard Pryor.  I still laugh myself sick on some of his sketches.

"Is Richard Pryor still alive?"

Sorry couldn't help myself. I have never really been exposed to much that he has done, who would you compare him to, or is he incomparable. I will have a quick hunt for some of his stuff.

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 3:00 pm

Richard Pryor is an odd one for me. I loved his films but I thought his stand-up was weak. He reminds me of a black more understandable Billy Connelly. If anyone asks, I don't think much of him either . . .

My favourites are Rodney Carrington ('Morning Wood' cracks me up), Bill Hicks (a complete genius) and obviously Dave Chappelle ('Come own buddy, everybody here knew you were gonna eat the chicken'.  ;D).

Written By: danootaandme on 03/06/05 at 3:04 pm

"Is Richard Pryor still alive?"

Sorry couldn't help myself. I have never really been exposed to much that he has done, who would you compare him to, or is he incomparable. I will have a quick hunt for some of his stuff.

Just barely alive.  He was the Chris Rock of the 70's.  I disagree with Bobby on this.  I thought his movies were pretty lame, but I loved his stand up. Try Richard Pryor in Concert (1979) the best of what he did

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/06/05 at 3:05 pm

Richard Pryor is an odd one for me. I loved his films but I thought his stand-up was weak. He reminds me of a black more understandable Billy Connelly. If anyone asks, I don't think much of him either . . .

My favourites are Rodney Carrington ('Morning Wood' cracks me up), Bill Hicks (a complete genius) and obviously Dave Chappelle ('Come own buddy, everybody here knew you were gonna eat the chicken'.  ;D).

Rodney Carrington is class, nearly as good as Rodney Rude.

George Lopez as well as George Carlin are also pretty freakin funny.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 3:10 pm

Dave Chappelle is a new name to me.

I know the ones from Whose Line Is It Anyway, Ryan Stiles, etc, but I would like to hear some earlier material from Richard Pryor and Robin Williams.

Written By: Apricot on 03/06/05 at 3:13 pm

Dave Chappelle, Dane Cook, Gabriel Iglesias, Slovin and Allen, Wanda Sykes, Gregg Rogell, Jackie Kashian, and a few others I can't remember right now.

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 3:22 pm

Just barely alive.  He was the Chris Rock of the 70's.  I disagree with Bobby on this.  I thought his movies were pretty lame, but I loved his stand up. Try Richard Pryor in Concert (1979) the best of what he did

I'll give it a shot, Danoota.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 3:23 pm

I know the ones from Whose Line Is It Anyway, Ryan Stiles, etc, but I would like to hear some earlier material from Richard Pryor and Robin Williams.

My favourite pairing was definitely Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie. These two should, if they don't already, have a show all to themselves - incredible.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 3:25 pm

My favourite pairing was definitely Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie. These two should, if they don't already, have a show all to themselves - incredible.
So was our favourite, there was another on talent comedian (American) on the show, but we cannot remember his name.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/06/05 at 3:26 pm

Ryan Stiles is amazingly funny.. he can just take that ball & run with it

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 3:27 pm

He always had the right expression on his face the improvised situation.

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 3:32 pm

Oh Mitch Hedburg, Steve Wright, Dennis Leary and Carlos Mencia are hilarious too.

As for the British comedians, I love Jack Dee (this guy is incredible, he came onto the stage to a thunderous applause and he responded by saying 'Thank you. Of course, you weren't to know I have a headache.'  ;D), Peter Kay, Eddie Izzard and, controversy time, I even enjoy Roy 'Chubby' Brown and Bernard Manning.

I have heard people like David Cross and Bill Engval ('Here's your sign') and I think these guys are very lukewarm if you know what I mean.

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 3:33 pm

So was our favourite, there was another on talent comedian (American) on the show, but we cannot remember his name.

I liked Tony Slattery too but that was because he had a blatant disregard for the rules.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 3:35 pm

I liked Tony Slattery too but that was because he had a blatant disregard for the rules.  ;D

He was then great, and has now recovered for drink problems that beset him.  Did you see him on The Weakest Link?

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 3:35 pm

That is definitely the man's strength. The guy can think on his feet. I think I saw him on 'The Drew Carey Show' and, even though he was alright, was not a patch on his 'Whose line is it anyway?' performances.

Drew Carey on that show is very funny.

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 3:36 pm

He was then great, and has now recovered for drink problems that beset him.  Did you see him on The Weakest Link?

Wow! I didn't know he had a drink problem. I wished I saw him on 'The Weakest Link'. It would probably be one of the few times I would enjoy that show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 3:39 pm

Wow! I didn't know he had a drink problem. I wished I saw him on 'The Weakest Link'. It would probably be one of the few times I would enjoy that show.

He was his usual self, he reached the final two.

By the way, I think it was drink, by he did disappear from the scene for a while for some reason.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/06/05 at 3:46 pm

Drew Carrey is bloody funny. He can't think on his feet but has great facial expressions and knows how to deliver a line

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 4:41 pm

Drew Carrey is bloody funny. He can't think on his feet but has great facial expressions and knows how to deliver a line

I watched an episode about a Thanksgiving dinner that went wrong because he found out his relative was a transvestite. I hurt laughing at that.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 03/06/05 at 5:25 pm

Oh Mitch Hedburg, Steve Wright, Dennis Leary and Carlos Mencia are hilarious too.

I love Eddie Izzard, but I am curious to know how you know Steve Wright.  He is from Boston
and has a radio show here, but I didn't know he was international. 

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 6:09 pm

I love Eddie Izzard, but I am curious to know how you know Steve Wright.  He is from Boston
and has a radio show here, but I didn't know he was international. 

Eddie has a rambling style all of his own.  ;D

Steve Wright is not international, Danoota. I found out about him by accident when I was looking for stand-up comedy to listen to at work on Kazaa. Amongst the list was Steve Wright and I thought I would give it a listen. I love the deadpan, clever way he delivers his one-liners:

"I went to the hardware store and bought some used paint . . . It was in the shape of a house."

"When I get really bored I like to drive downtown and get a great parking spot, then sit in my car and count how many people ask me if I'm leaving."

;D

Written By: Snuff on 03/06/05 at 6:57 pm

Dave Chappelle makes me laugh when I'm down! I love it!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/05 at 9:27 pm

My favorites...

Chris Rock
Dave Chappell
Dennis Leary
Harland Williams
Steve Martin
George Carlin
Richard Pryor

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/07/05 at 11:05 am

Back in the day, (70's, 80's) you could always see standup on late night shows and variety shows on network TV.  Today, it's so rare.  You always used to be able to see people like Steven Wright, Steve Landesberg, Roseanne Barr, Rita Rudner, Louie Anderson, Ellen DeGeneres, Sam Kinison, Paula Poundstone, Elayne Boosler...  But there seem to be very few outlets for clean material anymore.  Or maybe there's just not that much good clean comedy anymore.

Eddie Murphy's standup was always way too blue for TV, but I've caught him on video.  "Raw" is hilarious.  Chris Rock can be wickedly funny with his take-no prisoners social commentary.  I've never seen Chappelle.

Check for new replies or respond here...