inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tommy Vance, British radio rock DJ, has died

Written By: goodsin on 03/07/05 at 5:22 am

Sadly, Tommy Vance has died at age 63 of a stroke. The name may not be familiar to those outside the UK, but he was the host of "The Friday Rock Show" on BBC Radio 1 for years. He was instrumental in forwarding the careers of many new artists, and personally influenced the "metal thrashing madness" period of mine, and my peers. I first heard thrash metal on this show (Pulling Teeth & Whiplash, by Metallica), and it continued to provide interesting new sources of listening throughout my teenage years. I never thought I'd be saddened by the death of a Radio jock as much as I am today- we lost John Peel last year, it seems like all the people who were involved in my early music influences are leaving us; my fear is that, in the modern climate of radio, that they will never be replaced as brave innovators, thus depriving generations to come of hearing anything other than chart-topping mainstream pop crap.

RIP Tommy, and thanks, mate. Hope they greeted you with loud power-chords on electric harps at the pearly gates. :\'(

Subject: Re: Tommy Vance, British radio rock DJ, has died

Written By: Paul on 03/07/05 at 7:15 am

Very sad loss, a genuine gentleman...

Apart from 'The Friday Rock Show', his other claim to fame was 'The Top 40 Countdown' whch he did for a couple of years...I vividly remember his dulcet tones announcing such delights as 'Oriville's Song' and Musical Youth...surreal...!!

Yes, sadly along with Peely, another distinctive broadcaster gone...

Written By: goodsin on 03/07/05 at 7:28 am

It says in a national newspaper that he also hosted VH1's Friday Night Rock Show, so people outside the UK may be familiar with him. I know it's a different style of music, but I can't see Tim Westwood being as readily missed- many of my mates know it's time to go out when he comes on the radio on a Friday- the ones that stay in turm the radio off!

Written By: Paul on 03/07/05 at 7:31 am

It says in a national newspaper that he also hosted VH1's Friday Night Rock Show, so people outside the UK may be familiar with him.

Can't quite remember that, but I know he hosted a show on VH1 called 'The Nightfly' back in the mid-90s (when I was doing night work...!) - that was also a rock-based programme, so whether it was a forerunner of 'FNRS' I couldn't say...

Written By: goodsin on 03/07/05 at 8:07 am

Can't quite remember that, but I know he hosted a show on VH1 called 'The Nightfly' back in the mid-90s (when I was doing night work...!) - that was also a rock-based programme, so whether it was a forerunner of 'FNRS' I couldn't say...

Hmm, got that info from The Sun, so it may not be correct. They may have meant BBC Radio, rather than VH1, but I've got a vague feeling I've seen him on satellite TV somewhere- actually, my colleague (who is a real big metal fan) has just said that he has witnessed Tommy doing the FNRS on VH1, and he's more reliable than The Sun!

Check for new replies or respond here...