inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music's embarassments

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/10/05 at 9:15 am

Keep in mind.....these are ramdom genres I pulled out of my a$$.  Some of these I like and don't like, so don't think I'm "dissin'" your favourite catagories.  And the era(years) may not be precise... but this is how I view them from my own music listening experiences.

Subject: Re: Music's embarassments

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/10/05 at 9:21 am

i think all of those styles of music are valid. i don't like gangsta rap or boy/girl pop groups but they have their place in music.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/05 at 9:59 am

Boy groups.  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 11:31 am

I voted for rap/rock. That's one genre I'm glad that's basically ended (I got too sick of hearin' my friends blaring Limp Bizkit from 1999 to 2001/02, LOL).

PS: I like the year-spans you put on there. I basically agree with it, and I noticed you highlighted their entire time, not just the peak popularity. With grunge, for instance, it exploded in late '91 or fully in '92, but I guess it was actually around since the late 80's, underground and all.

I guess the "girl power" stuff has ended, although I never thought about that till now. I suppose Avril, etc. could be continuing the streak, but I wouldn't exactly consider that as "rock."

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/10/05 at 3:24 pm

PS: I like the year-spans you put on there. I basically agree with it, and I noticed you highlighted their entire time, not just the peak popularity. With grunge, for instance, it exploded in late '91 or fully in '92, but I guess it was actually around since the late 80's, underground and all.

I studied quite a bit about these genres.  I'll admit, some of them were really quite good (when they were underground).

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/10/05 at 3:27 pm

Girl power pop (an oxymoron)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/10/05 at 7:03 pm

One individual comes to mind right now....

WILLIAM HUNG!!!

The man just CANNOT carry a tune...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 7:06 pm

Boy Bands.  I'm generally not a Gangsta Rap fan but in the early 90s a lot of it was valid.  Cops really were crooked in 1988 when "F*** the Police" came out.  Boy Bands are just preppie mush.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/10/05 at 7:07 pm

Boy bands

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 7:08 pm

I voted for rap/rock. That's one genre I'm glad that's basically ended (I got too sick of hearin' my friends blaring Limp Bizkit from 1999 to 2001/02, LOL).

I guess the "girl power" stuff has ended, although I never thought about that till now. I suppose Avril, etc. could be continuing the streak, but I wouldn't exactly consider that as "rock."

Avril is a bit different from Spice Girls and the like ... less dancey and more gritty.  The year spans are good, although New Wave lasted up to about 1986 imo.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/10/05 at 7:09 pm

Where is 02-present pop-rap? I think it qualifies for the list, anyway yea Boy Bands are probably the worst on there.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 7:49 pm

Where is 02-present pop-rap? I think it qualifies for the list, anyway yea Boy Bands are probably the worst on there.

Yeah I'd pick it as #1 if it was on.  At least Boy Bands didn't pollute society the way Pop-rap does.  It's also destroying any hope for people over 35 to get into good hip-hop like the Beastie Boys and Dr. Dre!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/10/05 at 9:17 pm

While I like grunge, punk and a few rap-rock bands (Rage Against The Machine and (old school) Beastie Boys come to mind), Most new rap, pop-rap, rap, gangsta rap and boy/girl pop groups are imo some of thw worst to ever come out.

Of course it's best not to jst say all bad music came out post 1980 - Disco was pretty bad...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/10/05 at 9:24 pm

Okay listen, I respect everybody's opinions, therefore I don't have a problem with ANY of these. I DO have a problem with people who try to force thier stuff on me! Rappers, turn the crap DOWN! I don't CARE if you have the loudest stereo and will be deaf long before my parents!! Other than that...like if the country music awards are on television...I can just turn to something more interesting....like the a test pattern channel. Seriously though, everybody should have the right to like thier own stuff...so I deem none of it to be embarrassing, persay :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/05 at 9:42 pm

One individual comes to mind right now....

WILLIAM HUNG!!!

The man just CANNOT carry a tune...

::)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/11/05 at 5:27 am

Avril is a bit different from Spice Girls and the like ... less dancey and more gritty.   The year spans are good, although New Wave lasted up to about 1986 imo.

Yeah, come to think of it.....you're right..........*ponders more* :o

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/11/05 at 5:59 am

I hear you on that.....okay, first there was Sugar Hill Gang, back in '79.  Then was the breakdance rap music era of '83-'85.  Rap-rock in '86.  Then in '88, we we're blessed with gangsta rap.  And then was glamour mafioso rap from '96 to '99.  Now as we are in the 2000s, what could we classify hip hop/rap?......hmmmm.  I got it!  "A bunch of keyboarded, drum machined, computerized repetative looped beats and synth designed to brainwash your sons, daughters, little brothers and sisters, and even puppies to sleep around and catch gonnorhea by strangers from dance clubs and house parties, or to smoke so much weed that you start believing that you are black, so you go to the tanning salon to crispen up your skin, so you can look like you're from Compton when in fact you're from a town called Schenectady, New York, or to blow all your "cizzash"(cash) on cheaply made $2 clothes sold for hundreds of dollars because your favourite rapper and rhyme sayer sports it, or maybe learn and keep up-2-d8 on the latest slang words, catch phrases, and learn new defiant ways of twisting a common noun or expression into a negative, and giving ebonics an all time low by adding phrases like "fo' shizzle muh nizzle", or maybe even pimp your car out, so you can conform to the lifestyle and blare nonsensical, unoriginal, all-the-same, conceided, over-sexed beats, just because you think that will get you all the hoes" Rap/Hip hop era.  Whew.......Anyways, in response to your question, That's what I call '02-present.  Sh*t, and people have the nerve to say techno is repetative...? ;D

Written By: Bobby on 03/11/05 at 6:50 am

IMO Gangster Rap. I am realising a slight difference between that and Hip-hop. Hip-hop I can listen to, gangster rap I just can't.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/11/05 at 12:47 pm

or to smoke so much weed that you start believing that you are black, so you go to the tanning salon to crispen up your skin, so you can look like you're from Compton when in fact you're from a town called Schenectady, New York,

I hope no one took offense to this quote from my last post.  I'm NOT stereotypical, or judgemental.  Here's knocking myself.....I'm a multicultural person with many cultures of music I like.  I just don't act on them.  I like to still be my own identity while listening to say, Goth punk, and not pale MY skin and shoot holes in MY body, so I can take up another culture's ways of life just to fit in.  And by the way, I like Eminem, so I DON'T have a problem with white rappers.  They gotta eat too. 8)

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/11/05 at 1:03 pm

80-something Mrs. (Elva) Miller's rendition of "Downtown"
"Little Joe Ritchie" (better known as Joe Pesci)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 1:16 pm

I hope no one took offense to this quote from my last post.  I'm NOT stereotypical, or judgemental.  Here's knocking myself.....I'm a multicultural person with many cultures of music I like.  I just don't act on them.  I like to still be my own identity while listening to say, Goth punk, and not pale MY skin and shoot holes in MY body, so I can take up another culture's ways of life just to fit in.  And by the way, I like Eminem, so I DON'T have a problem with white rappers.  They gotta eat too. 8)

I really hate mainstream rap.  Well since 2000 or so.  I dislike Gangsta Rap too, but in the early 90s some of it was legit.  Anyone today who does it was either around then, a preppie poser, or, worst and most rarely, a true criminal.  Both genres have a bit of good.  Boy bands just suck, although I have a guilty pleasure for NKOTB.  ;D

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/11/05 at 1:20 pm

It's all fine.  Listen to what you like and ignore the rest.  It ain't that deep.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/11/05 at 2:07 pm

I really hate mainstream rap.  Well since 2000 or so.  I dislike Gangsta Rap too, but in the early 90s some of it was legit.  Anyone today who does it was either around then, a preppie poser, or, worst and most rarely, a true criminal.  Both genres have a bit of good.  Boy bands just suck, although I have a guilty pleasure for NKOTB.  ;D

LOL, I used to love underground rap/hip hop, but since all my favourite rappers got hit by the big time record label truck.....they've really let me down.  So sad.... :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/11/05 at 8:03 pm

I blame 'formatted' radio stations as well as MTV for all the LABELS used in music today...and for promoting 'fluff' artists over bands and performers with actual TALENT....When FM stations that made their mark playing cutting-edge stuff in the late 60's and early to mid 70's started using the "AOR"(album oriented rock or adult oriented rock)format...they really pigeonholed themselves AND the listeners.....and started hyping POPULARITY over music that 1)is not 'mainstream' and 2)actually is DECENT!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 11:51 pm

LOL, I used to love underground rap/hip hop, but since all my favourite rappers got hit by the big time record label truck.....they've really let me down.  So sad.... :\'(

Go to www.rhymesayers.com  Just give it a shot!

-DR  :)

Written By: Stompgal on 03/12/05 at 6:38 am

Europop. On Magic today, they're counting down the Top 50 Europop Classics. Some songs of that genre can be quite cringeworthy.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/12/05 at 1:53 pm

Europop. On Magic today, they're counting down the Top 50 Europop Classics. Some songs of that genre can be quite cringeworthy.

The only two euro pop groups I liked from the day was Yaz and Depeche Mode.  I have to agree, I'm not big into Atari made Hans & Frans stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...