inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Every Person Under 12 Today has a weird-a** name

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 11:32 pm

It seems that today anyone before after 1992 has some strange name.  Whatever happened to Michaels, Joshes, Jennifers, and Ashleys?  They're all teens or adults now!  :o Someday they'll be old people names like Bertha or Margaret is now!

Subject: Re: Every Person Under 12 Today has a weird-a** name

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/10/05 at 11:40 pm

Um..example of said names? I don't really know any kids under 13..

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 11:42 pm

Mikaela (sp), Keira, pretty much any name from the Bible.  Madison is common.  Wtf? 

The trend started in the 80s I guess but mg, every kid under 11 has some weird name!

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/10/05 at 11:47 pm

Mikaela (sp), Keira, pretty much any name from the Bible. Madison is common. Wtf?

The trend started in the 80s I guess but mg, every kid under 11 has some weird name!

*Mikayla

Hmm, I see. Well, here are some of my favorite names(one I would use in the future for my children).

Boys: Lachlan, Anthony, and Hunter. I also am partial to Michael(Mike), because of my uncle.

Girls: Emma, Mary, Sunshine(I knew a girl with this name).

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 12:31 am

*Mikayla

Hmm, I see. Well, here are some of my favorite names(one I would use in the future for my children).

Boys: Lachlan, Anthony, and Hunter. I also am partial to Michael(Mike), because of my uncle.

Girls: Emma, Mary, Sunshine(I knew a girl with this name).

Good choices :)

Written By: Robbo on 03/11/05 at 7:59 am

It's worse with celebrities!! ::)
David Beckham and Posh Spice named their son "Cruz".
Gweneth Paltrow named her daughter (or son  :-\\) "Apple"!
And then there's Michael Jackson, who named his three children, "Prince", "Paris", and "Blanket". (I like Prince and Paris is such a beautiful name, but Blanket  ::), Michael must've been on the booze when he came up with that ;D!!)
I known people who've named their kids, "Crash", "Sky", "Caramel", and "Yellow". :P  I've also met people who are about 20+ who have midly strange names, like "Jackson", "Logan", "Eriz", "Kyrstal" and I've even met a "Moses".

Written By: jaytee on 03/11/05 at 9:13 am

My boys are both under 12 and their names are Patrick and Declan (both old Irish names).  Some of their friends and classmates names are Liam, Jordan, Dylan, Christopher, Thomas, Dominic, Jonathon, Oliver, Jeremy, Angus, Hugo, Henry, Jack, Timothy, Simon, Alexander, Lachlan, Mackenzie, Isaac, Cooper (whose father and grandfather are also named Cooper), Josh, Ben, Andrew, Aidan, Thomas,  Daniel, James, Robert, Sean,  Nicholas, Lang, Marcus, Max, David, Brendan, Luke, Sam, Callum, Tristan, Steven and Conor.

The girls in their classes are Georgia, Annabelle, Brittany, Eloise, Elizabeth, Emily, Mary, Michaela, Taylor, Chloe, Molly, Melanie, Catherine, Tara, Bridget, Breeanne, Mataya, Ella, Amanda, Sally, Dana, Amy, Zoe, Ashleigh, Erin, Sarah, Lily, Bronagh, Rebecca, Jessica, Phoebe, Louisa, Emma,  Madeleine, Meg, Lucy, Michelle, Alexandra, Anna, Jane, Olivia, Amelia, Katrina, Celia, Laura, Rachel, Gabrielle, Claudia, Sabrina, Grace and Marie-Clare.

There's a boy in our neighbourhood whose name is Gary  :D- just seems funny for a little boy and yet there are lots of Garys in the 35 - 55 age group.

I don't think there is anything too weird about any of those names, although you can pick that our kids attend a Catholic School !

Written By: maddog on 03/11/05 at 9:40 am

I sort of agree with the title of this thread, insofar as the common names of my children's contemporaries are very different from the common names of my own generation. I think it's pretty cyclic though, my brother called his 2 daughters by old-fashioned Victorian names, which seem to be having a resurgence here in the UK.

Like jaytee, my 3 daughters all attend a Roman Catholic school. I won't go through the complete class lists for all 3 of them but off the top of my head, here are the common boys and girls names I hear:

GIRLS (ages 4 to 10)
Catherine, Catriona, Megan, Claire, Victoria, Rachel, Tara, Anya, Caroline, Laura, Hannah, Isabel, Niamh, Natalie, Erin, Orla, Charlotte, Maisie, Eleanor, Grace, Emily, Georgia, Holly, Molly, Laura, Becky, Natasha, Sarah, Ellen, Courtney.

BOYS (ages 4 to 10)
Nathan, Joseph / Joe, Kyle, Cormac, Cillian, Daniel, William, Jack, Michael, Peter, Luke, Charlie, Brandon, Aaron, Ben, James / Jamie,
Alex, Thomas / Tom.

BOYS (who were in my school class 35 years ago):
David, Graham, Colin, Philip, Nigel, Malcolm, Gary (;)), Rodney, Kenneth, Ian, Christopher, John, Mark, Stephen, Alan
- you don't find boys with any of these names anymore.

GIRLS (who were in my class 35 years ago):
Gillian, Nicola, Maria, Carol, Lindsey, Diane, Rosemary, Elaine, Amanda, Alison, Lisa, Lucy, Jane, Margaret, Sonia, Anne.
- same here, these names appear to have largely been abandoned for 10s and unders.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/11/05 at 10:06 am

Can't be any worse than what celebrites name their kids...  : ::)

Written By: karen on 03/11/05 at 10:23 am

I'm not sure that there are more "weird-ass" names now than when I was at school.  As Maddog says there are some names that were common 30 years ago that you hardly ever hear now (mine for example, at primary school there were two other Karens just in my class).  David, Mark and Steven were about the most common names I think for boys.  Karen, Sharon and Julie were the amongst the most popular girls names at my primary school.  But we had Donnie (a girl) and Kurt which were far from common names.

Written By: AL-B on 03/11/05 at 1:28 pm

:o Someday they'll be old people names like Bertha or Margaret is now!
I was at a bar and grill a couple weeks back with some friends and our waitress was a cute young brunette named Bertha. It caught me off guard because I've always associated that name with little old ladies or fat women in mumus and curlers.

I've often wondered if there is anyone in the United States under 30 named D!ck. Up until about 35-40 years ago (maybe later), D!ck was considered a good, masculine all-American name.  I don't know why "D!ck" caught on so well as the ulitimate phallic slang term, because you could still name a boy Peter or Rod (or have the last name Johnson) and people probably wouldn't make too big of a deal about it.You could also name a boy Richard and shorten it to Rich or Rick and that wouldn't be a big deal, either.  Name your son D!ck, however, and the other kids would start making fun of him as soon as he introduced himself on the first day of kindergarten.  He'd either grow up to be tough as nails or shy and withdrawn.

I don't think it's any coincidence that D!ck Butkus grew up to be one of the meanest SOBs ever to play in the National Football League.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 1:32 pm

I was at a bar and grill a couple weeks back with some friends and our waitress was a cute young brunette named Bertha. It caught me off guard because I've always associated that name with little old ladies or fat women in mumus and curlers.

I've often wondered if there is anyone in the United States under 30 named D!ck. Up until about 35-40 years ago (maybe later), D!ck was considered a good, masculine all-American name.  I don't know why "D!ck" caught on so well as the ulitimate phallic slang term, because you could name a boy Peter or Rod (or have the last name Johnson) and people probably wouldn't make too big a deal about it. Name your son D!ck, however, and the other kids would start in on him as soon as he introduced himself on the first day of kindergarten.  He'd either grow up to be tough as nails or shy and withdrawn.

I don't think it's any coincidence that D!ck Butkus grew up to be one of the meanest SOBs ever to play in the National Football League.

That's true.  There no "Bobs" or "Freds" under like 30 now either.

Written By: AL-B on 03/11/05 at 1:47 pm

I'm sure there's still a few Roberts (Bob, Bobby, Rob, etc.) out there. There was a guy I went to school with named Bob and we called him "Bob-a-loo." Bob is not as common as it once was but I don't think it's extinct by any means. Fred is a much rarer name today because it sounds kind of goofy, like Fred Flintstone or Fred Mertz.  But it's still nowhere near as bad as D*ck.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/11/05 at 1:58 pm

In my family (my neices and nephews) we have 2 roberts, shawn, thomas, darrel, Jocob, Jonathon, and Daniel, for girls we have Natara, Alyssa, Natasha, Heather, Kara, Mandy, Brenna, Hannah, Katelyn, and Katherine.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/05 at 2:35 pm

Latisha
Moesha
Suad
Avril
Nelly

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 3:35 pm

I'm sure there's still a few Roberts (Bob, Bobby, Rob, etc.) out there. There was a guy I went to school with named Bob and we called him "Bob-a-loo." Bob is not as common as it once was but I don't think it's extinct by any means. Fred is a much rarer name today because it sounds kind of goofy, like Fred Flintstone or Fred Mertz.  But it's still nowhere near as bad as D*ck.

Yeah they're around ... but they're more old stoner or 35-yr old blowhard names (I not referring to you  ;) )

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 3:52 pm

And then there's Michael Jackson, who named his three children, "Prince", "Paris", and "Blanket". (I like Prince and Paris is such a beautiful name, but Blanket  ::), Michael must've been on the booze when he came up with that ;D!!)
I known people who've named their kids, "Crash", "Sky", "Caramel", and "Yellow". :P  I've also met people who are about 20+ who have midly strange names, like "Jackson", "Logan", "Eriz", "Kyrstal" and I've even met a "Moses".

Actually, Cruz is a very common Spanish name. Perhaps it seems odd to you as a Brit not having many people of Hispanic origin in your country, but to a Texan..I thought "wtf?" to myself when I read that you thought it was an odd name.

Sky, I have met a few Sky's before, I like the name. But "Crash", "Caramel", and "Yellow"? You must know nothing but a bunch of chavies.  :P

Logan is somewhat common here in the the States, as is Krystal(Crystal is a more common spelling though). I've heard Jackson once or twice, never heard of "Eriz".

Moses was my great grandfather's middle name, lol. I think back in the early 20th century and late 19th century it was fairly popular, in the South at least.

My first name is really uncommon. Its WELL KNOWN, but you don't ever see anyone under 30 with this name. Wallace. Honestly, I have never met ANYONE else named Wallace, regardless of age.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 7:09 pm

When I was in school there were alot of Heathers, Jennifers, Jamies, Alyssons, Jeanines, Christines, Nicoles, Kristins, Dawns, Renees, Desirees, Michelles and Danielles.

But there were some oddball ones then too.  I can remember girls named Papia, Antoinette, Toniann, Randee, Barrie, and Kera.

For boys, I can't remember too many odd ones but we had quite a few Marks, Jimmys and Darrens to name a few...

Written By: Bobby on 03/11/05 at 7:19 pm

There is one Bobby here and I'm under 30.  ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 7:48 pm

I can kind of understand the whole "unusual name" thing, cause I wouldn't want my kids to have the same name as everybody else... but some are a bit extreme.

Personally, I like Yesenia for a girl and Julian for a boy... unusual, but not unusual enough to make people go  "HUH?"

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 7:56 pm

I can kind of understand the whole "unusual name" thing, cause I wouldn't want my kids to have the same name as everybody else... but some are a bit extreme.

Personally, I like Yesenia for a girl and Julian for a boy... unusual, but not unusual enough to make people go "HUH?"

Actually I would go "Huh?" and Yesenia, I have never heard that name before.

Written By: AL-B on 03/11/05 at 8:32 pm

Yeah they're around ... but they're more old stoner or 35-yr old blowhard names (I not referring to you  ;) )
I'll admit, I can be a bit of a blowhard at times. 

(Not in that way, so save your jokes.) ;D

Written By: Bobby on 03/11/05 at 8:39 pm

Alright then.  ;)  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 11:44 pm

;D

Is your avatar a pic of you?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 11:48 pm

;D

Is your avatar a pic of you?

How can you NOT recognize that? That is Walter Sobchak(John Goodman) in The Big Lebowski.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 11:49 pm

How can you NOT recognize that? That is Walter Sobchak(John Goodman) in The Big Lebowski.

I don't watch many movies  :-[

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 11:50 pm

I don't watch many movies :-The Big Lebowski as soon as possible. 8)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 11:51 pm

You should check out The Big Lebowski as soon as possible. 8)

As soon as I can :)  Do they show it on TV?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/11/05 at 11:53 pm

Comedy Central has showed it from time to time. But you really should rent it on DVD or VHS. That way the cursing isn't bleeped out or dubbed, which totally screws up a couple of scenes imo.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 11:56 pm

Actually I would go "Huh?" and Yesenia, I have never heard that name before.

Yesenia is a latina name too... I knew a few in my generation, with different variations on the spelling.. it is pronounced like "yeSENya"

Written By: jaytee on 03/12/05 at 12:59 am

Well there are where I live.  My friend has just had twins and called them Frederick and Xavier.  Her other children are William, Ruby, Henry and George.  My kids know a few Roberts which are usually shortened to Bobby or Robby.  We also know a couple of Richards and have been told in no uncertain terms that their name isn't to be shortened ;) :D

Written By: Howard on 03/12/05 at 5:03 pm

Yeibi is a weird name.I had a woman supervisor named Yeibi Amparo. ;D

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/12/05 at 6:41 pm

Ofcourse lets keep in mind that we are generally being very ethnocentric here with what names are "weird-a**".  Weird perhaps if you are coming from a White Anglo American centric view point. 

But many "exotic" names that are "weird" to the typical American who thinks the universe revolve around him or her fail to realize that these so called messed up names are very common in eastern Europe, or other parts of the world.

I do know that when I was growing up, Ashley and Amber were very popular names for chicks that were born in the 70s.  I knew a ton of Ahsley's and Ambers way back in the day.  And invariably the girls that had name like Amber were super hot.  I don't think too many girls have that name these days.  I think in America, names like Michael, Paul, Thomas and Jon will always be popular.  John has seemed to evolved into Jonathan or Jon for short for many people.  My sister wanted to name her son John after our father John, but my brother-in-law insisted it be "Jonathan" because he felt John was just too boring.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/12/05 at 6:53 pm

I feel sorry for people who unintentionally wind up with the name of a celebrity, especially one who is controversial...  I had a client one time named William Clinton... he said you couldn't imagine how many people would ask him "so how's monica?" and the laugh like they thought they were the first one to make the joke...

I'm sure there are alot of Michael Jacksons out there (many older than Jacko)

I also knew a lady named Marsha Brady...she became a Brady by marriage..she said she had second thoughts about marrying the guy because of the name

Written By: Miss Tainted on 03/12/05 at 11:13 pm

I don't really find any of the names posted strange....But then again I love different names   :)

And because I'm SO obsessed with names here is a list of my faves.... (hold on to your seat!) heh

For Boys:

Jade/Jaden

Kage

Blade

Raphael

Tristan

Jace

Raidon

Dai

Jalen

Mackenzie

Jamison/Jamie

Kaiden

Talon

Keegan

Liam

Hawk

Hayden

Caleb

Draven

Malachi

Joel

Iroquois

Kyo

Phoenix

Ash/Asher

Tidus/Titus

Kai

Don't want to flood you all with too much so I'll keep my girl names away for a while... ^_^

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/12/05 at 11:14 pm

;D Miss Tainted if we had children the only way I'd let you use any one of those names is if you agreed to let me name one of them Aragorn.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 03/12/05 at 11:19 pm

;D Miss Tainted if we had children the only way I'd let you use any one of those names is if you agreed to let me name one of them Aragorn.

Ahhh....so if we had children I could name one of them Jade!? XD

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/12/05 at 11:24 pm

Actually..thats not a bad name, if its for a girl. ;D

Written By: Miss Tainted on 03/12/05 at 11:33 pm

Actually..thats not a bad name, if its for a girl. ;D
  :P

Written By: 90s boy on 03/13/05 at 1:40 am

Dont Forget Cortney Cox named her Baby Coco lol  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/13/05 at 12:43 pm

I worked at a day camp this past summer...in the entire camp, out of about 60 kids ages 3-7, there were 3 "Solange"s, 4 "Skylar"s, and approximately 47 "Madison"s.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 03/14/05 at 1:30 am

I worked at a day camp this past summer...in the entire camp, out of about 60 kids ages 3-7, there were 3 "Solange"s

Solange? wow that IS a weird name.  :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/14/05 at 3:48 am

I don't really find any of the names posted strange....But then again I love different names   :)

And because I'm SO obsessed with names here is a list of my faves.... (hold on to your seat!) heh

For Boys:

Dai

at last, someone who knows how to spell my husband's name!  we've been together for 16 years and some of my family still spell it either Di or Dia.

You seem to have a real mix of  Welsh, Irish and Scottish names in that list, Miss Tainted, as well as some more novel ones

Written By: jaytee on 03/14/05 at 7:14 am

I don't really find any of the names posted strange....But then again I love different names   :)Jade/Jaden
Tristan
Jace
Mackenzie
Jamison/Jamie
Keegan
Liam
Caleb
Malachi
Joel
Kai

My kids have either been to school or played sport with boys with those names.  Our neighbour's daughter is Jaydn.

My god-daughter called her son Kynan and her daughter Tayissa both of which I think are truly awful.  :P  (The names .... not the kids  :D)

Written By: Arvig on 03/14/05 at 9:30 am

I feel sorry for people who unintentionally wind up with the name of a celebrity, especially one who is controversial...  I had a client one time named William Clinton... he said you couldn't imagine how many people would ask him "so how's monica?" and the laugh like they thought they were the first one to make the joke...

I'm sure there are alot of Michael Jacksons out there (many older than Jacko)

I also knew a lady named Marsha Brady...she became a Brady by marriage..she said she had second thoughts about marrying the guy because of the name

LOL, reminds me of a kid in my grade school.  Name was "Jimmy Carter".  ;)  Even worse, Carter was president at the time.  :D

My dad worked with a guy named "Michael Jordan" for about two or three years too.

And like a few others have said...what is weird in a name, really?  Mind you, I was raised in fairly small towns until I was about 14 or 15, but I never met another Evan (my real first name) until I was in my early 20's.  Now of course, Evan is pretty common, but in 1967, when I was born it possibly wasn't in the USA.  I even remember teachers calling me "Evans" because they had heard the last name, but not Evan as a first before, and assumed like some kids I was named after someone else's last name.  (As an aside, a name like Brooke for a girl would have one time possibly been odd, I heard Brooke Shields was named after her mother's maiden name...throwing this out as a question, was it odd to name someone after a last name at one time?  Now it isn't, but at one time...maybe?)

Arvig is my grandfather's first name, dad's side.  Danish ancestry, have no idea if it's common or not in Denmark or other Scandinavian countries...err...I guess if we have any Danish posters here, I'll let them answer.  ;)

Then again, there are names that some celebrities have, like Soleil and Moon Unit.  ;)  And although Thora doesn't sound weird to me, one could argue it is, feminine form of "Thor" from what I've read about Thora Birch.  But again...what's weird?  ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/14/05 at 4:15 pm

Loquacious
Avril
Selena

Howard

Written By: guest on 03/17/05 at 1:46 pm

when i was teaching in the early 90's there were actually 3 fred's in my school.  that kind of surprised me.  there are still plenty of bob'b out there.

Written By: kairi747 on 03/17/05 at 1:52 pm

Personally, I like Yesenia for a girl and Julian for a boy... unusual, but not unusual enough to make people go  "HUH?"

yes, but then the uncommon become common.  there are like 10 "kaighleigh" at my kids school - kaylee, kayley, kayly, etc.  then there are kayla's, kaylin's, etc.

Written By: Arvig on 03/17/05 at 3:15 pm

Loquacious
Avril
Selena

Howard

*shrugs*

Never seen Loquacious as a name, Avril & Selena are obviously famous singers, don't know if Selena is also a common name with the Latino community, but Avril is just French for "April", which is a pretty common girl's name. 

Out of the three you give as examples, I'd find "Loquacious" odd, Selena & Avril, even before either girl became famous don't sound "odd" to me.  Maybe uncommon in my little corner of Idaho...but I also used to be active in the "SCA", Society For Creative Anachronism, Middle Ages recreationist group, kind of sort like the Renn Faire groups, except the time period is a bit earlier then most Renn Faires are set, we use about AD 600 to AD 1600 or so for our setting.  Anyway, my point with mentioning the SCA is that one got used to people using old European names for their persona...quite often one would only see a lot of people at events, and only meet them in persona so thus never hear their real name...so I got used to hearing a name like "Thorvald' for instance, and not thinking much of it.  Then again, as I said in another post, Arvig was my grandfather's name, and since it is Danish, I used it for my SCA persona...I was "Arvig Eriksen The Confused" in the SCA.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/17/05 at 3:19 pm

Yngwie Malmstein ;D

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/17/05 at 10:03 pm

Yngwie Malmstein ;D

Howard

Yngwie isn't that odd to the right culture...I think it's Scandinavian.

Then again, Cool MacCool is a perfectly legit old Celtic name, at least hypothetically.

For that matter, Bubba is actually old Saxon.  There probably were a few Bubba's fighting against William the Conqueror during the Battle of Hastings.  A couple hundered years later, there very well could have been a knight named "Sir Bubba".

Written By: Howard on 03/18/05 at 2:28 pm

Yngwie isn't that odd to the right culture...I think it's Scandinavian.

Then again, Cool MacCool is a perfectly legit old Celtic name, at least hypothetically.

For that matter, Bubba is actually old Saxon.  There probably were a few Bubba's fighting against William the Conqueror during the Battle of Hastings.  A couple hundered years later, there very well could have been a knight named "Sir Bubba".

http://www.yngwie.org/gallery/images/zlozower1.jpg

Yngwie Malmstein is a heavy metal rocker.

Howard

Written By: Apricot on 03/18/05 at 2:33 pm

My cousin named her baby Amara.

Funny thing? Amara, in some religions, is the equivalent of Satan.  ;D No joke.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/05 at 2:35 pm

I know a doctor where I work and his name is Bhoomie. ;D

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/18/05 at 3:47 pm

http://www.yngwie.org/gallery/images/zlozower1.jpg

Yngwie Malmstein is a heavy metal rocker.

Howard

Yes Howard, I knew that.  :p

I simply assumed that by posting his name, you were saying it was weird.  My point was that in (I think) some Scandinavian cultures, it wouldn't be.  Or otherwise, what's weird to you isn't always weird to everyone.

Written By: Kyle on 03/21/05 at 7:26 pm

I know a few fellas in the 6th grade who actually have the darnest first names in the history of first names.  :D :D  Where all the Ashleys, Brittany's, Christina's, Mandi's, and Hillary's gone.  ;D (It sounds like I'm naming girly-pop stars)  Now they're all replaced by weird names such as Kane, Kaija, Hunter, Tyler, and Carly and Kyle is getting a little too overrated.  Almost every other person in the 3rd-5th grade is a Tyler or something similar to that.  Could people start naming children so-called "decent" names.  Names like Staci, Jessica, Brittany, Ashlee, Mary, Greg, John, Mark, etc. not Book, Kane, Hunter, Shoe, Clay,  ;D :D  -- whatever!!!

Written By: Feiticeira on 03/21/05 at 7:40 pm

Most of the names that are mentioned as weird I actually don't find that strange.

The only thing that bugs me is when parents decide to be "cool" and change a letter or so.

I tried finding a story in the paper recently where a family, with 12 kids, of spongers have weird names. 6 kids belong to the ex and have normal names like Mark etc.  The other 6 are from the new husband and they have weird names with this letter change lark.

Like Kalifornya, Skye-Crystall, Caitee etc blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Although I must admit I have looked up weird names, but I went for their meanings....

Written By: jaytee on 03/21/05 at 7:49 pm

My cousin named her baby Amara.

My son has an Amara in his class.

Written By: Howard on 03/22/05 at 3:49 pm

Ione Skye

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/22/05 at 7:14 pm

Ione Skye

Howard

Yes.  She's an actress. 

Ione is a Greek name if I remember right.  Skye is probably Scottish, if it's from the Isle of Skye.  There's a teen pop-punk singer with the name Skye Sweetnam too.

Then again, I know of a person (not famous) named Arwen, same as the character in the Lord Of The Rings.  Then again, Tolkein took much of the names either directly or indirectly from the Celtic and Norse, so it could be that a name like Arwen is common in some dialect of Gaelic for instance, I never looked into it.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/05 at 4:15 pm

Sukanya Christian

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/24/05 at 12:48 am

Sukyana Christian

Howard

Well, I don't know whom you're refering to, but I know from a Google search that Norah Jones' father, Ravi Shankar remarried someone with the first name "Sukyana", so unless that is the same person, at least two people have that name.  Otherwise, it's not a weird name in some culture, as I've been pointing out with the other "weird" names you've been posting.

Here, I've got a weird name for you:

Howard.

In some cultures, it would be quite bizarre.  :p

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/05 at 10:34 am

Yeah, the names mentioned aren't really THAT weird. Now, your names like "Destiny", "Apple", "Lashaneequah", "Jebus", "Golden", and crap like that are weird, and I see them all the time.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/05 at 1:54 pm

Well, I don't know whom you're refering to, but I know from a Google search that Norah Jones' father, Ravi Shankar remarried someone with the first name "Sukyana", so unless that is the same person, at least two people have that name.  Otherwise, it's not a weird name in some culture, as I've been pointing out with the other "weird" names you've been posting.

Here, I've got a weird name for you:

Howard.

In some cultures, it would be quite bizarre.  :p

Arvig,Sukanya Christian is a news reporter for Channel 7 Eyewitness News.

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/25/05 at 2:07 am

Arvig,Sukanya Christian is a news reporter for Channel 7 Eyewitness News.

Howard

Great.  So there's at least two people with the name "Sukanya".  ;)  If I ever meet them or meet a third, I'll have to ask the person if they feel their name is odd. 

Apricot, if you meant "Jesus" instead of "Jebus", that's a pretty common as a Hispanic name. 

Used to know a guy who's middle name was "Denver Colorado".  His mother was still a bit drugged from giving birth, and was thinking about a business trip that his father was still on, if I remember the story right.  When they asked his mom what his full name was, she said "Jason...Denver Colorado"...and wrote that down.  I don't know if he legally changed it, but the few times he's even used his middle name around me he just said "Denver", his license said "Jason Denver (his last name)" for instance.  (And no, his last name isn't "his last name", I'm doing that to for the sake of his privacy.  :)  ).

EDIT:  Then again, now that I think of it...Channel 7 Eyewitness News?  Wouldn't that be someone who's only known in your local region?  My local Channel 7 is a PBS station.

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/25/05 at 10:49 am

My daughter attends school with a Prescott.  It's seems so old for such a little boy.  He'll need to grow into that name!

Written By: Howard on 03/25/05 at 2:03 pm

How about Chloe Sevingy? What kind of last name is Sevingy? ???
Or with a first name Bhoomie. ;D

Howard

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/05 at 2:07 pm

How about Chloe Sevingy? What kind of last name is Sevingy? ???
Or with a first name Bhoomie. ;D

Howard

I think I wll pass on the name Chloe Sevingy!

Written By: Howard on 03/25/05 at 2:11 pm

I think I wll pass on the name Chloe Sevingy!

Why? ???

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/25/05 at 3:18 pm

My daughter attends school with a Prescott.  It's seems so old for such a little boy.  He'll need to grow into that name!

Proof I'm a computer geek, when I saw "Prescott", first thing I thought of is the current Pentium 4 core.  ;)

Okay, more on topic...let's see...Howard asked something.  About Chloe Sevigny.  To answer your question, I got this from a Google search, took the first hit I saw:

>Her father, who died in 1996, was a distant descendant of a 17th-century French aristocrat, the Marquise de Sevigne, and was a major influence and love in Chloë's life.<

Original article if you're interested:

http://www.chloesevigny.com/biography.html

Otherwise, it's an Anglicization of a French name.  Or maybe just a modernization, could be the name as her family spells it is a common modern French spelling, and not just one seen in English speaking areas.  Anyway, Anglicization of a last name was common, have a friend with the last name of "Beers" but the original German name was "Von Beers" or some such, I'd have to ask him again.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/05 at 4:23 pm

Thanks Arvig ;)

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/25/05 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Arvig ;)

Howard

You're welcome.

I still say Howard is a weird name.  :p  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/26/05 at 6:56 am

You're welcome.

I still say Howard is a weird name.  :p   ;D

Howard is a popular first name and I think people that have the last name Howard is not quite as popular as it was.

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/27/05 at 3:30 am

Howard is a popular first name and I think people that have the last name Howard is not quite as popular as it was.

Howard

Howard, I think you're missing my point.

Okay, you kept on coming up with names you felt were weird.

I kept on trying to say that with most of your examples, there would be a culture, race or nation where it would be a common name.

My point in saying "Howard is a weird name" is to say that in some culture other then a Western one, it would be an uncommon and weird name.

Or to put it another way, how many people born in let's say Tibet would have the first or last name of "Howard"?

Written By: Howard on 03/27/05 at 7:07 am

Ron Howard. Did you forget about that one? ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/05 at 7:09 am

Frankie Howard the UK Comedian.

Written By: Arvig on 03/28/05 at 2:57 am

Le sigh.

Okay, is my point still sailing over your head on it's way to splattering against the wall behind you, or are you being obtuse intentionally?

Or to put it another way, did you read my post, or are you asking if Ron Howard is from Tibet?  :P

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/15/06 at 1:05 am

Today for me it seems that half the little male toddlars today answer to Dylan.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 1:35 am

Today for me it seems that half the little male toddlars today answer to Dylan.

Or Jacob.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/06 at 6:26 am

Or Jacob.

My dads name was Jacob, I named my son after him. Then Melrose Place came up with a character named
Jake so the televison set started naming their sons Jake(the same ones that named their daughters Krystal,
and Tiffany).  Then 9-11 happened and people heard that the nickname for firefighters was Jake, and every
one with a John started nicknaming them Jake instead of Jack, and when they had babies they started
naming them Jacob.  Right now it is the most popular boys name.  If I hadn't named my son after my father I
would seriously consider changing his name because I have gotten tired of hearing it.

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/15/06 at 7:29 am

Here are some names of people in my school:

Vshoun
Newport
Laprell
Shawanda
Christopher
Jennine

any other ghetto name out there.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 7:48 am

Vshoun
Newport
Laprell
Shawanda
Christopher
Jennine

so the list that you made above, you consider those to be, "ghetto?" ???

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/06 at 8:16 am

so the list that you made above, you consider those to be, "ghetto?" ???

He's from Nantucket, to them everything off-island is ghetto

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 8:18 am

He's from Nantucket, to them everything off-island is ghetto

I was just surprised because he put the name, "Christopher" on there.  That, to me, is one of the most non-ghetto names ever (also my husband's name). ;)

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/15/06 at 8:38 am

You don't live on Nantucket alright? is that alright with you?

I meant to say that Christopher is the most un-ghetto name out there, it's orginal.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 8:41 am

I meant to say that Christopher is the most un-ghetto name out there, it's orginal.

nope, I don't. I live in Pennsylvania.  The name Christopher/Chris is very common around here.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/15/06 at 2:45 pm

No, I don't live on Nantucket, it is way alright with me.  Christopher, although not "ghetto" isn't very original,
is is quite common. 

Written By: Tia on 05/15/06 at 2:51 pm

Vshoun
Newport
Laprell
Shawanda
Christopher
Jennine

christopher? that IS weird.

Written By: Tia on 05/15/06 at 2:55 pm

Some of my favorite names from our work roster:

sarabeth snuggs
betsy butters
bacon gnanaboopathy
joe baltimore

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/15/06 at 5:30 pm

Names don't have to be original.  I've noticed several posters saying they're tired of typical and common names.  My name is very typical and very common.  It's also a family name.  Many members of my family have had it as either their first name or their middle name.  So decrying something as "typical" or "common" might be removing value the name has to the family.  I much prefer old-fashioned Victorian names to anything "hip" or "new" to be honest. 

Written By: Schillingfan on 05/15/06 at 10:14 pm

my actual name is Alana- AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE IT!!!!

I always think my name sounds a bit bland and I don't like my middle names much either. My mom gave those names because I was my grandmother's only grandkid- my mom won't be able to say that anymore because her brother now has a child (really cute and has a better name than I do!  :) )

When I get a job in the real working world- I'll probably change it to something else like Romana (Doctor Who assistant), Sandra, Karen or Nicola- they all sound better on me than Alana :) :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 10:17 pm

my actual name is Alana- AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE IT!!!!

I always think my name sounds a bit bland and I don't like my middle names much either. My mom gave those names because I was my grandmother's only grandkid- my mom won't be able to say that anymore because her brother now has a child (really cute and has a better name than I do!  :) )

When I get a job in the real working world- I'll probably change it to something else like Romana (Doctor Who assistant), Sandra, Karen or Nicola- they all sound better on me than Alana :) :)

I think Alana is a very pretty name! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/15/06 at 10:22 pm

The other day I heard some woman call her son Jelvin.  That's a strange name

other weird names I've heard ...

Bexel
Pockie
Kelbert

Written By: karen on 05/16/06 at 3:19 am

Karen only sounds interesting to you because it's slightly unusual in young people.  Trust me, when there's three of you in a class/group of parents/whatever it gets boring!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:06 am

Karen only sounds interesting to you because it's slightly unusual in young people.  Trust me, when there's three of you in a class/group of parents/whatever it gets boring!

Karen doesn't sound remotely interesting to me (sorry, karen  ;))...half of my female high school teachers were called 'Karen' lol

Written By: karen on 05/16/06 at 7:07 am

Karen doesn't sound remotely interesting to me (sorry, karen  ;))...half of my female high school teachers were called 'Karen' lol

My point exactly!

Written By: babieblugurl on 05/16/06 at 9:55 am

i understand...my friend jus names her babieboy...finagun?...it means white boy...lol

Written By: karen on 05/16/06 at 10:01 am

finnegan is an irish name

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 10:17 am

Weirdest thing just happened then...as I read the words 'white boy' (it means 'white boy'), the same words were sung by Lou Reed on the Velvet Underground song I was listening to. Anyway, just rambling. Is Finnegan a common modern Irish name? Or more old-fashioned?

Written By: CeeKay on 05/16/06 at 10:32 am

Weirdest thing just happened then...as I read the words 'white boy' (it means 'white boy'), the same words were sung by Lou Reed on the Velvet Underground song I was listening to. Anyway, just rambling. Is Finnegan a common modern Irish name? Or more old-fashioned?

I know a guy named Finn.  I don't know if his full name is Finnegan.

Here's a funny name story.  My mom used to work on the maternity ward in a hospital.  There were many immigrants there who did not speak English.  Sometimes, when choosing a name for their babies, they'd hear an English word that they thought had a pretty sound and want to use it as their child's name.  This sometimes backfired.  Like the time my mother had to communicate to a Middle Eastern woman that she definitely should NOT name her daughter "Vagina"  ;D

(when the woman finally understood what the word meant, a look of horror came over her face and they all had a good laugh)

Written By: karen on 05/16/06 at 10:34 am

I know a guy named Finn.  I don't know if his full name is Finnegan.

Here's a funny name story.  My mom used to work on the maternity ward in a hospital.  There were many immigrants there who did not speak English.  Sometimes, when choosing a name for their babies, they'd hear an English word that they thought had a pretty sound and want to use it as their child's name.  This sometimes backfired.  Like the time my mother had to communicate to a Middle Eastern woman that she definitely should NOT name her daughter "Vagina"  ;D

(when the woman finally understood what the word meant, a look of horror came over her face and they all had a good laugh)

I heard somewhere about some woman who wanted to call her daughter Chlamydia  :o

Written By: babieblugurl on 05/16/06 at 10:42 am

not knowing if its weird or not but my name is...Tamara Sheree

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 10:56 am

not knowing if its weird or not but my name is...Tamara Sheree

Another Tam?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/06 at 10:57 am

finnegan is an irish name

In the past 6 months I have heard of two babies in my small circle being named Finnegan.  Wonder what's
up with that?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 10:58 am

In the past 6 months I have heard of two babies in my small circle being named Finnegan.  Wonder what's
up with that?

In Kalispell, Montana there's a restaurant called Finnegan's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:47 am

I heard somewhere about some woman who wanted to call her daughter Chlamydia  :o

She sure must've hated her daughter...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:48 am

She sure must've hated her daughter...

I know jeez ... might as well name them Diarrhea  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 11:53 am

Kids in my family: Deire(pronounced "dee-air-uh"), Danika, Cason, and Sadie.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:58 am

Imagine if you had Star Wars/LOTR/Trekkie geeks as parents...

'Hi, this is my family: Frodo, my eldest, followed by Anakin, followed by Luke - Skywalker, that is.'

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:59 am

Imagine if you had Star Wars/LOTR/Trekkie geeks as parents...

'Hi, this is my family: Frodo, my eldest, followed by Anakin, followed by Luke - Skywalker, that is.'

;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:00 pm

;D

Not as funny as it seems. There ARE actually people who do that. lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:02 pm

Not as funny as it seems. There ARE actually people who do that. lol.

Some of the more obscure Tolkien names, like the Elven ones are actually kind of attractive. But I'm not a fan of really obscure names anyways.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:06 pm

Some of the more obscure Tolkien names, like the Elven ones are actually kind of attractive. But I'm not a fan of really obscure names anyways.

At times I often think it would be cool to officially change my name - no, not to Trimac (  ;D), but a really cool sounding made-up name, like Mathduin Aekelsian, or Selegna Sol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:08 pm

At times I often think it would be cool to officially change my name - no, not to Trimac (  ;D), but a really cool sounding made-up name, like Mathduin Aekelsian, or Selegna Sol.

I kind of like the idea of changing my name ... but the problem is I'm such a Michael.  But if I did change my name, Donnie would be a good choice.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 12:12 pm

I kind of like the idea of changing my name ... but the problem is I'm such a Michael.  But if I did change my name, Donnie would be a good choice.

I'm partial to the name Michael/Mike.

The only bad thing about Michael is its what I call a "nagging name".  Its easy for it sound very annoying if someone is nagging you.

"Miiiichael!"

I'm actually thinking of Jackie off of That 70s Show with this. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:13 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:18 pm

Oh yeah ... I hate that.  Michael sounds better with some last names than others ... it can either sound uber cool (as in Michael J Fox) or really lame (like in Michael Jackson).

What about Mick or Mickey? ...nah, don't really see it happening lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:18 pm

My name is Michael Thomas, which could be bastardized to Mickey Tam, if I was gay  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 12:19 pm

Oh yeah ... I hate that.  Michael sounds better with some last names than others ... it can either sound uber cool (as in Michael J Fox) or really lame (like in Michael Jackson).

Anthony Michael Hall?

I kinda like Mick.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:20 pm

Mick ... interesting ... I'm not a Mick though. I'm kind of a Mike. Not a Mikey, except to Mom  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:22 pm

Mick ... interesting ... I'm not a Mick though. I'm kind of a Mike. Not a Mikey, except to Mom  ;D

Awww...

If I ever meet you in real life, don't blame me if I keep calling you 'Donnie'.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:23 pm

Awww...

If I ever meet you in real life, don't blame me if I keep calling you 'Donnie'.  ;D

No prob ... after all Donnie Darko and "Michael" aren't exactly the same person, if that makes any sense. Naturally there's similarities, but Donnie Darko is more "voiced" by Michael than an actual digital carnation of Michael.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:25 pm

No prob ... after all Donnie Darko and "Michael" aren't exactly the same person, if that makes any sense. Naturally there's similarities, but Donnie Darko is more "voiced" by Michael than an actual digital carnation of Michael.

Oh, so we're not talking to the 'real' Michael? What's the 'real' Michael like, then?

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 12:25 pm

Mikey is always a cute nickname for kids.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:26 pm

Oh, so we're not talking to the 'real' Michael? What's the 'real' Michael like, then?

Similarly dorky, but more nervous, less patient, more nuts.  Actually come to think of it Donnie and Mike are pretty similar ...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:26 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 12:28 pm

Reminds me of The Goonies...

Thats what it makes me think of too.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:29 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 12:36 pm

I wouldn't mind the name change, actually, but it would be weird to ask people to call me "Mikey" instead, since I'm so used to Michael...

Why the heck don't you use Mike?

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 12:36 pm

Btw I'm thinking of switching from Alex to Lex.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:37 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:37 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:41 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 12:50 pm

And so the making of Lex Luthor begins...

;D ;D

(I'm a comic geek)

Lex Luthor's name IS actually shortened from Alex.  His name is Alexander Luthor.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:51 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:52 pm

Does anyone think your name actually affects your personality? I definitely think so.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 12:53 pm

Does anyone think your name actually affects your personality? I definitely think so.

Nah, I don't really think so. My name's such a common name it doesn't really mean anything.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 12:55 pm

Nah, I don't really think so. My name's such a common name it doesn't really mean anything.

Well the thing is I relate to other Michaels. Michaels tend to be artistic and eccentric.

John though, is different. A John could be anyone.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/16/06 at 8:59 pm

My husband's name is Christopher...but he sometimes calls himself/goes by Topher.  I really like the name Aslan, but then everyone would automatically think of the lion in Narnia. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/06 at 9:30 pm

My husband's name is Christopher...but he sometimes calls himself/goes by Topher.  I really like the name Aslan, but then everyone would automatically think of the lion in Narnia. :D

I had a childhood friend who was a Christopher called Topher. He got killed in a motorcycle crash a few years ago. I mean, I didn't know him, I lost touch with him and my other childhood friends when I was fourteen and my family moved. I often scan the online papers from my old hometown. Lots of people I knew growing up have died!
:o

Anyway, I there does seem to be a higher proportion of kids with "weird names" today than when I was growing up. However, it is not all, not most, not even half.  Anyway, names that were "weird" 20 years ago are terribly overused today. When I was a kid, there were no girls named McKenzie, Taylor, or Madison, but today....
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...