inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: To those who think 2005 is part of the Nineties, when did time freeze?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 8:51 pm

I picked the last option of course.  I want other's input :)

Subject: Re: To those who think 2005 is part of the Nineties, when did time freeze?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 10:29 pm

I don't think anybody thinks 2005 is part of the '90s, if they do they have some serious issues.

Subject: Re: To those who think 2005 is part of the Nineties, when did time freeze?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 11:05 pm

I don't think anybody thinks 2005 is part of the '90s, if they do they have some serious issues.

Many here think today's culture is pretty much the exact same as 90s.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 11:13 pm

2005 seems to have little difference from the late 90s to me, particularly, 99.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 11:21 pm

Many here think today's culture is pretty much the exact same as 90s.

That's different though. They are saying culture hasn't changed much, but that doesn't mean 2005 is part of the '90s, I agree with that observation, for the late '90s anyway.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 11:45 pm

That's different though. They are saying culture hasn't changed much, but that doesn't mean 2005 is part of the '90s, I agree with that observation, for the late '90s anyway.

You'd have to be a bit dense to think that we literally mean 2005 is part of the 90s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/05 at 1:53 am

Do not adjust your sets.  What you are seeing is perfectly normal.  The mainstream styles of entertainment have changed depressingly little since 1990.  I would say '95 is the year it finally ground to a halt.
This is (I speculate) a result of media mega-mergers.  Your entertainment has been handed over to remote corporate boardrooms.  Those suits know better than to mess with the formula, you know, why pressure the business expenses when you can keep churning out the same old drek!
Now say hellow to Barney and Sponge Bob!

However, if you scratch below the surface, below what you can find at the Wal-Mart and the mall (I know you can do it, you found your way to inthe00s.com!), you'll find the "new" stuff, the innovative stuff.

There's the perennial news of today's kids being "oversexed."  Of course, they said so about my generation, my parents' generation, and so on, but I think it might really be true this time!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/14/05 at 5:06 pm

Yeah I'm talking purely culture, not dates.  Date has nothing to do with it really. I say culture has changed little since '98 or so, but 1992 is way different from 1999 and even moreso today.
Do not adjust your sets.  What you are seeing is perfectly normal.  The mainstream styles of entertainment have changed depressingly little since 1990.  I would say '95 is the year it finally ground to a halt.
This is (I speculate) a result of media mega-mergers.  Your entertainment has been handed over to remote corporate boardrooms.  Those suits know better than to mess with the formula, you know, why pressure the business expenses when you can keep churning out the same old drek!
Now say hellow to Barney and Sponge Bob!

However, if you scratch below the surface, below what you can find at the Wal-Mart and the mall (I know you can do it, you found your way to inthe00s.com!), you'll find the "new" stuff, the innovative stuff.

There's the perennial news of today's kids being "oversexed." Of course, they said so about my generation, my parents' generation, and so on, but I think it might really be true this time!

Do you hold a grudge toward today's children/youth?  Or do you blame the media? 

Anyway though, in about 1989 the media began to show bullshhh on TV that would be unthinkable in 1984 but by 1997 or so became the norm with garbage like "South Park".  Ren and Stimpy started the violent cartoon thing but even they seem tame compared to stuff on "Adult Swim", or late night Comedy Central. 

Culture has changed little since 1990?  I can understand you thinking that from your point of view (after all in 1990 you were 21 already, so things would seem little different to you) but things have changed so much culturewise since then.  In 1990 you had Rap but it wasn't like the stuff they have now, Numetal wasn't around yet, there were sitcoms instead of Reality shows being every other channel, you had Bush 1 instead of Bush 2 (okay not much a difference there).  I can name so many ways the world's changed in the past 15 or even 10 years.

I do agree with kids being oxersexed today though, and youth violence has gone up, but one must remember how rare school shootings are.  After all they all get on the news and there's only one about once a year or less.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/14/05 at 6:11 pm

With me it's just a matter of age related dementia. ::)

Written By: Kyle on 03/14/05 at 7:32 pm

2005 seems to have little difference from the late 90s to me, particularly, 99.

I think you're right!  :D ;) :) In 1999, most of the music was centered around boy bands/girly pop and 60's music went back in style for a little while.  We'd also had pop/punk, especially the Foo Fighters, Smashmouth, Good Charlotte, etc.  Rap music was in style, man, but it didn't get out control like is now.  Latin music was huge that year with pearly white teethed Ricky Martin, Santana, etc.  People watched shows such as Who Dosen't Want to Be A Millionaire, and reality TV just started to kick in, but it wasn't big until 2002.  

In 2005; pretty much the same thing, except for the rap music of course.   ;D  Rob Thomas is starting to bring back Latin music with his Lonely No More.  Pop-punk is still popular and girly-pop may start to comeback by the end of this year.  Who Dosen't Want to Be A Millionaire and I'm Sick of this show already is still popular, at least on GSN. That's all I have to say about 1999 vs. 2005- ology, so Peace out, Dogg!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/14/05 at 8:00 pm

I voted for '99. I don't think it's exactly the same now as in '99, but it's pretty close in some ways. Put it this way, 1999 and 2005 are alot closer to each other than 1989 and 1995 are.

As we've said, boy bands -- although losing steam -- are still around and fairly popular; mainstream rap is big; pop/punk is in, so is girl pop (i.e. Ashlee); and reality TV shows were picking up by 1999/2000.

I think 1990 and 2005 are hugely different (not the world itself, but that other 5% - culture, TV & music, etc). Even 1996 and now is a noticeable change. 1997 and 98 were transitional. 1999 was the end of the transition, and I'd say 2000 to now is mostly the same.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/14/05 at 8:08 pm

I voted for '99. I don't think it's exactly the same now as in '99, but it's pretty close in some ways. Put it this way, 1999 and 2005 are alot closer to each other than 1989 and 1995 are.

As we've said, boy bands -- although losing steam -- are still around and fairly popular; mainstream rap is big; pop/punk is in, so is girl pop (i.e. Ashlee); and reality TV shows were picking up by 1999/2000.

I think 1990 and 2005 are hugely different (not the world itself, but that other 5% - culture, TV & music, etc). Even 1996 and now is a noticeable change. 1997 and 98 were transitional. 1999 was the end of the transition, and I'd say 2000 to now is mostly the same.

I don't think there is a big difference between today and 1999 either, but hip-hop and rap were definitely not topping the charts in 1999. 1999 was a big year for pop, so was 2000. Now there is kind of a mix of music on the charts, rock, hip-hop, r&b, pop, it's all out there now. Though hip-hop still dominates.

Check for new replies or respond here...