inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will the human race become extinct?

Written By: jiminy on 03/15/05 at 12:37 am

So when will our little party called humanity finally come to a screaching halt, don't just vote, tell us how it will all end or if it will end at all   ;D

Subject: Re: When will the human race become extinct?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/15/05 at 12:40 am

I said 2250-3000.  I don't think this is the place to explain my answer in detail..but it would have to do with terrorism, nuclear weapons, and certain people who think it is wrong to take action to stop terrorism.  I'll leave it at that.

Written By: AL-B on 03/15/05 at 1:45 am

In the year 2525.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/05 at 2:14 am

From the state of the younger generation it finished about ten years ago!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/15/05 at 7:49 am

soon, very soon. the forces of chaos have been consolidating their powers for seven millenia. these pitiful humans and their "faith in god" will know the true meaning of suffering when the skies bleed, the seas froth and the earth rends.... :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/15/05 at 7:55 am

When the blood of those Canadians falls on foreign soil, Satan himself will rise up and take the earth and all that inhabit it.

Failing that, my Bean Machine is coming along well.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/15/05 at 11:56 am

In the year 2525.

Strangely enough... there's a song called that.  ::)

ARTIST: Zager and Evans
TITLE: In the Year 2525

In the year 2525
If man is still alive.
If woman can survive, they may find.

In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies.
Everything you think, do and say, is in the pill you took today.

In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes.
You won't find a thing to chew.
Nobody's gonna look at you.

In the year 5555
Your arms hanging limp at your sides.
Your legs got nothing to do.
Some machine doing that for you.

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife.
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too.
From the bottom of a long glass tube. Whoa-oh

In the year 7510
If God's a-comin, he oughta make it by then.
Maybe he'll look around himself and say.
Guess it's time for the judgment day.

In the year 8510
God is gonna shake his mighty head.
He'll either say.I'm pleased where man has been.
Or tear it down and start again. Whoa-oh

In the year 9595
I'm kinda wonderin if man is gonna be alive.
He's taken everything this old Earth can give.
And he ain't put back nothing.Whoa-oh

Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew,
now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night.
The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away.
Maybe it's only yesterday.

In the year 2525
If man is still alive.
If woman can survive, they may find.

In the year 3535 {fade

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/05 at 2:08 pm

Wow! What an intrequing question. But, I'm not too sure how to answer it. I think if man continues the way he is going (i.e. polution-that leads to global warming, using up resources, etc), it may sooner than we like it to be. However, with improvements in science, we may find other solutions-or as you suggested, colonized another planet (or a moon). I don't want to say that we will destroy ourselves in a nuclear holicaust-I HAVE to believe that we won't. But, I think that we need to start changing our ways otherwise, it will be "Life, Jim but not as we know it."  ;) 

BTW, I LOVE the song, "In the Year 2525"

Cat

Written By: Arvig on 03/15/05 at 2:28 pm

Wow! What an intrequing question. But, I'm not too sure how to answer it. I think if man continues the way he is going (i.e. polution-that leads to global warming, using up resources, etc), it may sooner than we like it to be. However, with improvements in science, we may find other solutions-or as you suggested, colonized another planet (or a moon). I don't want to say that we will destroy ourselves in a nuclear holicaust-I HAVE to believe that we won't. But, I think that we need to start changing our ways otherwise, it will be "Life, Jim but not as we know it."  ;) 

BTW, I LOVE the song, "In the Year 2525"

Cat

Interesting you mention polution.  Larry Niven wrote a series of short stories about a time traveller set roughly 1000 years in the future, along with the novel "Rainbow Mars".  One thing the time traveller encountered is that he had to wear a breathing bubble around his head that actually contained carbon monoxide and concetrated more carbon dioxide then what was in non-poluted air, since his body, along with the rest of his contempories had adapted to polution.  They even have a scene on his first trip where he almost passes out until he remembers to put the breathing bubble over his head, due to the lack of polution helping to trigger his lungs to function.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/05 at 2:35 pm

Interesting you mention polution.  Larry Niven wrote a series of short stories about a time traveller set roughly 1000 years in the future, along with the novel "Rainbow Mars".  One thing the time traveller encountered is that he had to wear a breathing bubble around his head that actually contained carbon monoxide and concetrated more carbon dioxide then what was in non-poluted air, since his body, along with the rest of his contempories had adapted to polution.  They even have a scene on his first trip where he almost passes out until he remembers to put the breathing bubble over his head, due to the lack of polution helping to trigger his lungs to function.

You do bring up a good point. Maybe the human body will evolve to adapt to current conditions. You never know.

Cat

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/15/05 at 2:37 pm

Who knows.

Written By: Paul on 03/15/05 at 2:38 pm

Who knows.

And if so, who'd be around to tell us...?!!

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/15/05 at 3:20 pm

I decided to give us the benefit of the doubt and that Humanity will meet its' doom after 3000. If not, it's definitely going to go when the SUN burns out. I'm glad I won't be around to witness that horror.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/05 at 4:28 pm

When the sun finally decides to not burn anymore energy and we go dark.Let's not worry till it happens.

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/15/05 at 5:12 pm

When the sun finally decides to not burn anymore energy and we go dark.Let's not worry till it happens.

Howard

Well, with luck whomever owns that big gaseous ball of fusion remembered to have the sucker refilled recently.  ;)

Written By: jiminy on 03/15/05 at 5:38 pm

I'll go with never, I think terrorism and nuclear war would take a heavy toll on the race but won't completely wipe it out, in a way the the earth it's self might decide to cut the population because I think it might see us as a threat, there might be a day when humans are no longer around physically but I believe a life force never dies out, it just evolves...but who knows when and where?

Written By: Mona on 03/15/05 at 5:51 pm

My daughter gets her driver's license in August, sooooo it could possibly be September that the world as we know it comes to an end.  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 03/15/05 at 6:34 pm

Strangely enough... there's a song called that.  ::)
I know. Zager and Evans were from my hometown of Lincoln, NE and they were the only group from there ever to score a #1 hit.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 03/15/05 at 6:39 pm

I say it'll be around 2151 - 2250 time. The sun will probably fall to the earth and roast all of our little bodies till they become pieces of burnt crispiness.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/15/05 at 6:40 pm

Well, with luck whomever owns that big gaseous ball of fusion remembered to have the sucker refilled recently.  ;)

CRAPDANGIT!

I knew i was supposed to do something yesterday

Written By: Howard on 03/15/05 at 6:49 pm

Does this mean we'll all implode?

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/05 at 8:14 pm

I don't know when, but it can't start soon enough for me!!!
:-X

Barring atomic annhilation or collision with a comet, mankind's current activities could render the planet uninhabitable for humans within the next 300 years.  I said 2250.

Who knows? It might take less than a century if certain dire ecological predictions are correct.

There are many people in our government who are literally banking on the end of the world coming soon to a theater near you!  These men and women believe they will be "raptured" up to heaven with Christ's chosen few, and the rest of us will be cast into the pits of hell.

If mankind is to survive his own wicked designs, he (and I mean that gender neutrally, construed plural collective) will have to find a peaceful and cooperative way of coexisting with his fellow humans.  We can no longer afford the age of testosterone!
::)

Written By: Arvig on 03/16/05 at 8:54 am

I don't know when, but it can't start soon enough for me!!!
:-X

Barring atomic annhilation or collision with a comet, mankind's current activities could render the planet uninhabitable for humans within the next 300 years.  I said 2250.

Who knows? It might take less than a century if certain dire ecological predictions are correct.

There are many people in our government who are literally banking on the end of the world coming soon to a theater near you!  These men and women believe they will be "raptured" up to heaven with Christ's chosen few, and the rest of us will be cast into the pits of hell.

If mankind is to survive his own wicked designs, he (and I mean that gender neutrally, construed plural collective) will have to find a peaceful and cooperative way of coexisting with his fellow humans.  We can no longer afford the age of testosterone!
::)

Shrugs...unfortuntly that also depends on who's data you believe, and what theory sounds right to you, to be honest.  I can probably dig up almost as many people predicting another ice age soon as much as global warming, it's just that saying that isn't as vogue right now, so it's not noted as much by the general public.

Now am I saying we have carte blanche to trash the Earth?  No.  Of course not.  But we also need to not just make assumptions on the world's fate based on whatever hypothesis seems to be popular this decade.

If I may, please read the novel "Fallen Angels" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle...there was a third author involved with the book, but his name escapes me.  Even if you do find the theories, hypothesis and givens within the novel's setting to be a load of crap, it is a good read, and at least some of it is as likely as the current "in vogue" theories about global warming I've seen.  Although the book was also done with a lot of the co-authors friends written in as cameos, so if you're not familiar with any of their previous works some of the inside jokes may fall flat.

As for comet hitting the planet, and if mankind will survive, another Niven & Pournelle book, "Lucifer's Hammer".  Much better then the Hollywood films about such a large object striking the earth too, IMO.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/05 at 11:27 am

THE WORLD WILL END AT 10:00

Details at 11:00

;) :D ;D

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/16/05 at 11:48 am

Year 10,000 (unless we already lived 10,000 years.)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/16/05 at 12:04 pm

nobody knows what the future may bring...and nobody knows for sure when it will end

Erin :)

Written By: Arvig on 03/16/05 at 1:48 pm

Cat

This would REALLY suck if this is yesterday's broadcast! 

Written By: Howard on 03/16/05 at 4:40 pm

Cat

If the world ends at 10,We'll all be dead by 11 so how could that be Cat? ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 03/16/05 at 4:41 pm

nobody knows what the future may bring...and nobody knows for sure when it will end

Erin :)

That's why you've got to take it one day at a time. :)

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 03/16/05 at 7:28 pm

Never...we are like cockroaches.

Written By: Arvig on 03/16/05 at 8:11 pm

Never...we are like cockroaches.

Well...that would explain some of the blind dates I went on a few weeks ago!  ;)

Written By: Kryllith on 03/17/05 at 10:02 am

Baring an unexpected natural planet-wide extinction event, I'd say never (or still the universe implodes, depending on what you believe in). Sure the sun will burn out eventually, but that's estimated to be millions or billions of years in the future and I figure come that time we'll be halfway across the universe, pillaging other planets.

Course, if the aliens get us first... :)

Kryllith

Written By: Rodog on 03/17/05 at 11:53 am

The world will end in 2012...December 2012 is the year that the Mayan calender ends. Actually, Yes in theory the world will end in 2012, not only is it the year of the myan calender ending, but it is also a year of Great distructuion where a Comet is supposed to hit the earth similar to the dinosaour extinction. Another theory is we are supposed to be knocked off the north and south poles axis and will then fall into a multi demension realm where we will take on spirits, or demons, and any other entities that roam in the 4th and 5th demensions. Right now a great war is starting in the other demension between angels and demons. If you have ever heard of the war that happened in the past like this you will know what i am talking about. Its in the bible as well. Check it out

Written By: Arvig on 03/17/05 at 3:19 pm

The world will end in 2012...December 2012 is the year that the Mayan calender ends. Actually, Yes in theory the world will end in 2012, not only is it the year of the myan calender ending, but it is also a year of Great distructuion where a Comet is supposed to hit the earth similar to the dinosaour extinction. Another theory is we are supposed to be knocked off the north and south poles axis and will then fall into a multi demension realm where we will take on spirits, or demons, and any other entities that roam in the 4th and 5th demensions. Right now a great war is starting in the other demension between angels and demons. If you have ever heard of the war that happened in the past like this you will know what i am talking about. Its in the bible as well. Check it out

It's in the Bible?  :D

And knocked off the North & South pole axis.  It's not like there's an actual rod going through the Earth keeping the sucker in place.  :p

Don't know the exact verse, but I think there's a bit in the Bible saying that man won't know the exact time of "the end" either.

Oh well, if it is only 7 years off, I'd better stock up on beer and some popcorn, should be quite a show.  Maybe see if I can get Pay Per View rights.  :p

I'll stop now, I want to keep this at mild flame/overt disbelief/teasing, not overt taunting and insulting.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/17/05 at 3:22 pm

tomorrow at 1159am ;D

Howard

Written By: jiminy on 03/17/05 at 7:11 pm

tomorrow at 1159am ;D

Howard
what time zone? ???

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/17/05 at 9:50 pm

2250-3000 A.D.  I dunno, I just feel there won't be Mankind as we know it in the year 3000.

Written By: Arvig on 03/17/05 at 10:00 pm

2250-3000 A.D.  I dunno, I just feel there won't be Mankind as we know it in the year 3000.

I don't know about that...depending on your beliefs as to how and why we're on this ball of rock called Earth, we've had at least a few thousand years to make ourselves extinct, and despite our foolishness, manage to not do it.  Okay, we have higher tech ways of doing it, but well...when the crossbow was first invented, it was considered a doomsday weapon, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think one Pope banned it's use on other Christians due to it being such an efficient weapon.  That ignores some of the plagues that completly decimated whole towns in the middle ages.  Not saying we won't someday be extinct...maybe we will, but I think it will be in more then 1000 years personally.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/17/05 at 10:35 pm

I don't know about that...depending on your beliefs as to how and why we're on this ball of rock called Earth, we've had at least a few thousand years to make ourselves extinct, and despite our foolishness, manage to not do it.  Okay, we have higher tech ways of doing it, but well...when the crossbow was first invented, it was considered a doomsday weapon, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think one Pope banned it's use on other Christians due to it being such an efficient weapon.  That ignores some of the plagues that completly decimated whole towns in the middle ages.  Not saying we won't someday be extinct...maybe we will, but I think it will be in more then 1000 years personally.

It's just a gut feeling to me more than anything, I just can't see right now being ancient relative to any time. I just have doubts for some reason.

Written By: Arvig on 03/18/05 at 12:42 am

It's just a gut feeling to me more than anything, I just can't see right now being ancient relative to any time. I just have doubts for some reason.

Well I can see this civilization falling, sooner or later it probably will...most do, and a new one arises to take it's place, using the last one as a foundation.  So seeing what we consider to be modern civilization continuing for even 1000 years?  Probably not...although it will be interesting to see if the people in 3000 can even agree on when ours fell...if it fell.  I would suspect that the average Roman citizen (Eastern or Western) in AD 600 felt the Roman Empire had fallen, or at least that it was the same as dead, it even had a mild resurgance via Emperor Justanian.  But as in us becoming extinct...no.  We might go from a population of billions to a population of millions due to something apocolyptic, but not become extinct IMO.

Then again, would be nice if we could get some people off of this planet.  Not even talking about reaching another star...I'd take people doing crap like mining asteroids.  Dangerous to have all of one's eggs in one basket so to speak.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/05 at 2:20 pm

what time zone? ???

I don't know but be prepared ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...