inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scott Peterson to be sentenced to death.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/16/05 at 7:28 pm

Peterson Judge Sentences Him to Death

2 hours, 30 minutes ago  Top Stories - AP

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - A judge sent Scott Peterson (news - web sites) to death row Wednesday for the slaying of his pregnant wife, Laci, after a turbulent court session in which his father-in-law warned him in a trembling voice: "You're going to burn in hell for this."

Judge Alfred A. Delucchi accepted the jury's recommendation that Peterson be sentenced to death, calling the killing of Laci Peterson (news - web sites) and her fetus "cruel, uncaring, heartless and callous."

Peterson, 32, was invited to make a statement. After several minutes of discussion with his attorneys, he declined.

Wearing a dark suit and shackled at the waist, Peterson stared at Laci's mother without emotion as she told him he deserved to be put to death "as soon as possible."

"You decided to throw Laci and Conner away, dispose of them like they were just a piece of garbage," Sharon Rocha told her former son-in-law. Rocha sobbed as she read from a statement, looking directly at Peterson. "We had to bury Laci without her arms to hold her baby and without her head," Rocha said, her voice breaking.

Laci's father, Dennis Rocha, told Peterson: "You're going to burn in hell for this."

And Laci's brother, Brent Rocha, said he bought a gun during the investigation into Laci's disappearance and contemplated killing Peterson. "I chose not to kill you myself for one reason, so you would have to sweat it out and not take the easy way out," he told Peterson.

The former fertilizer salesman will probably be sent within 48 hours to death row at San Quentin State Prison, overlooking the bay where Laci Peterson's body was discarded, officials said. Peterson became the 644th person awaiting lethal injection in California.

The judge had the option of rejecting the jury's recommendation and imposing a sentence to life without parole, but such a move is all but unheard of. The judge also denied a defense request for a new trial.

He ordered Scott Peterson to pay $10,000 restitution for funeral expenses and an additional $5,000, though the reason for that amount was unexplained.

An eight-months-pregnant Laci Peterson disappeared on Christmas Eve 2002, and prosecutors said Peterson killed her and then dumped her body in San Francisco Bay. The badly decomposed bodies of Laci and her fetus washed ashore four months later.

Prosecutors said Peterson strangled his wife to escape marriage and impending fatherhood and return to the bachelor life. At the time of his wife's disappearance, he was carrying on an affair with Amber Frey, a massage therapist.

Peterson's attorney, Mark Geragos, tried to get the judge to allow Peterson's parents to speak, on the basis that they were related to Conner. But Delucchi said the hearing was an opportunity for only Laci's relatives to speak.

At one point during the family testimony, Brent Rocha recounted a conversation he said he had with Peterson long before Laci vanished. Rocha said the former fertilizer salesman lamented about his life not being what he had hoped it to be.

Scott Peterson's father, Lee, shouted, "What a liar!" He walked out of the courtroom after being admonished by the judge.

Ten of the 12 jurors who recommended the death penalty returned to court Wednesday for the sentencing, four months after the panel found Peterson guilty of murder.

"We wanted to see it all the way through to the end," juror Richelle Nice said outside the courthouse.

As prosecutors and Laci Peterson's family left the courthouse, a crowd of about 100 people cheered and clapped.

"Our family is going to make it," said Ron Grantski, Laci's Peterson stepfather. "We're stronger because of this, and Scott got what he deserved."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=2&u=/ap/20050316/ap_on_re_us/laci_peterson_18

Subject: Re: Scott Peterson to be sentenced to death.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/16/05 at 7:35 pm

I have no symphathy for Scott Peterson.....sayonara,pack your bags for the Eternallly Burning Basement.....!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/16/05 at 7:41 pm

About fricking time, burn in hell, Scott.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/16/05 at 8:12 pm

I don't support the death penalty.

And for those who are so happy he got sentenced to deathrow, keep in mind that he will probably be there 20 years(or more). If he was given life and put in with the general population, he'd be dead in a year.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/16/05 at 9:44 pm

Enjoy Saint Quinton (spelled right?) Scott!  The hardest death row prison not only in the state of California, but in the United States.  Enjoy sitting on death row, in a 3X5 cell, 24 hours a day, no human contact, no recess, no television or radio, bad tasting meals, worrying about when your execution will take place.  Have fun, Scott!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/05 at 11:38 pm

Enjoy Saint Quinton (spelled right?) Scott!  The hardest death row prison not only in the state of California, but in the United States.  Enjoy sitting on death row, in a 3X5 cell, 24 hours a day, no human contact, no recess, no television or radio, bad tasting meals, worrying about when your execution will take place.  Have fun, Scott!

Well, you don't spell it so much as you sit there and stare at it until your last appeal runs out!

So there's one Scott who didn't get off, uh, scot free!

I'm with the Dude, I ain't down with the Death Penalty.

But I don't get to make that decision, do I?  So welcome to the Hotel California, Scott!  You can check out any time you like but you can't never leave!
:o

Peterson is one guy I thought was guilty from the get-go!  A lot of the ladies still go crazy for him because he's soooo cute, and it's tough to a fertilizer salesman who murders his wife!  I suppose if he'd been a better "fertilizer" salesman, he would have gotten off the hook.
;D

Oh yeah, regarding, San Quentin, the reporter from Court TV points out he's going to be 300 yards from where he dumped the bodies.
How do you like them apples?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/05 at 6:16 am

I have a proposal for how we might at least reduce the number of death penalties actually meted out.

In my proposal, we would put on a reality TV show, sort of like "Fear Factor".  On the show, three death row inmates would compete for the grand prize of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Contest events would consist of getting blasted out of a REAL cannon, being run over by an M1-A1 tank, holding your breath under water for, say, 30 minutes, and playing Mexican Roulette (where the revolver has ONE empty chamber instead of five).

The first contestant to survive the event gets a commutation to life in prison.

And the advertising proceeds?  They go to a death row legal defense fund.

Written By: bj26 on 03/17/05 at 7:40 am

I know you all will jump on me, I'm sorry, I just see things in a different light, sometimes I wish I didn't.  Anyway, the death penalty isn't logical to me.  Peterson was convicted, he did it, okay - I believe a minimum 30 or more years mandatory in prison is logical.  He's a young guy, he can be trained to contribute back to society payment for his crime.  What he produces may even end up helping the world and saving lives by thwarting potential other murderers. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/05 at 6:18 pm

I know you all will jump on me, I'm sorry, I just see things in a different light, sometimes I wish I didn't.  Anyway, the death penalty isn't logical to me.  Peterson was convicted, he did it, okay - I believe a minimum 30 or more years mandatory in prison is logical.  He's a young guy, he can be trained to contribute back to society payment for his crime.  What he produces may even end up helping the world and saving lives by thwarting potential other murderers. 

Or... he could turn out like any number of murderers who, upon release from their prison sentencing, turn right around and kill somebidy else.  >:(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/17/05 at 9:44 pm

He deserves it!  >:(

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/17/05 at 9:49 pm

Good ... I don't see any hope for people like him.  Now just leave us alone about the case, dumb news guys!

That guy killed a woman and a baby and showed NO remorse.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/17/05 at 11:33 pm

I have a proposal for how we might at least reduce the number of death penalties actually meted out.

In my proposal, we would put on a reality TV show, sort of like "Fear Factor". On the show, three death row inmates would compete for the grand prize of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Contest events would consist of getting blasted out of a REAL cannon, being run over by an M1-A1 tank, holding your breath under water for, say, 30 minutes, and playing Mexican Roulette (where the revolver has ONE empty chamber instead of five).

The first contestant to survive the event gets a commutation to life in prison.

And the advertising proceeds? They go to a death row legal defense fund.

Herr Himmler? Is that you?

Written By: Howard on 03/18/05 at 2:25 pm

Susan Caudillo: Lee Peterson's daughter from a previous marriage, born in 1960
Mark Peterson: Lee Peterson's son from a previous marriage, born in 1962
Joe Peterson: Lee Peterson's son from a previous marriage, born in 1963
John Peterson: Jackie Peterson's son who was about five years old when Jackie & Lee married in 1971
Scott Peterson: The only child of both Jackie & Lee, born in 1972

The Peterson Family Tree if anyone's interested.^

Howard

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/18/05 at 2:31 pm

Peterson Judge Sentences Him to Death

2 hours, 30 minutes ago   Top Stories - AP

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - A judge sent Scott Peterson (news - web sites) to death row Wednesday for the slaying of his pregnant wife, Laci, after a turbulent court session in which his father-in-law warned him in a trembling voice: "You're going to burn in hell for this."

Judge Alfred A. Delucchi accepted the jury's recommendation that Peterson be sentenced to death, calling the killing of Laci Peterson (news - web sites) and her fetus "cruel, uncaring, heartless and callous."

Peterson, 32, was invited to make a statement. After several minutes of discussion with his attorneys, he declined.

Wearing a dark suit and shackled at the waist, Peterson stared at Laci's mother without emotion as she told him he deserved to be put to death "as soon as possible."

"You decided to throw Laci and Conner away, dispose of them like they were just a piece of garbage," Sharon Rocha told her former son-in-law. Rocha sobbed as she read from a statement, looking directly at Peterson. "We had to bury Laci without her arms to hold her baby and without her head," Rocha said, her voice breaking.

Laci's father, Dennis Rocha, told Peterson: "You're going to burn in hell for this."

And Laci's brother, Brent Rocha, said he bought a gun during the investigation into Laci's disappearance and contemplated killing Peterson. "I chose not to kill you myself for one reason, so you would have to sweat it out and not take the easy way out," he told Peterson.

The former fertilizer salesman will probably be sent within 48 hours to death row at San Quentin State Prison, overlooking the bay where Laci Peterson's body was discarded, officials said. Peterson became the 644th person awaiting lethal injection in California.

The judge had the option of rejecting the jury's recommendation and imposing a sentence to life without parole, but such a move is all but unheard of. The judge also denied a defense request for a new trial.

He ordered Scott Peterson to pay $10,000 restitution for funeral expenses and an additional $5,000, though the reason for that amount was unexplained.

An eight-months-pregnant Laci Peterson disappeared on Christmas Eve 2002, and prosecutors said Peterson killed her and then dumped her body in San Francisco Bay. The badly decomposed bodies of Laci and her fetus washed ashore four months later.

Prosecutors said Peterson strangled his wife to escape marriage and impending fatherhood and return to the bachelor life. At the time of his wife's disappearance, he was carrying on an affair with Amber Frey, a massage therapist.

Peterson's attorney, Mark Geragos, tried to get the judge to allow Peterson's parents to speak, on the basis that they were related to Conner. But Delucchi said the hearing was an opportunity for only Laci's relatives to speak.

At one point during the family testimony, Brent Rocha recounted a conversation he said he had with Peterson long before Laci vanished. Rocha said the former fertilizer salesman lamented about his life not being what he had hoped it to be.

Scott Peterson's father, Lee, shouted, "What a liar!" He walked out of the courtroom after being admonished by the judge.

Ten of the 12 jurors who recommended the death penalty returned to court Wednesday for the sentencing, four months after the panel found Peterson guilty of murder.

"We wanted to see it all the way through to the end," juror Richelle Nice said outside the courthouse.

As prosecutors and Laci Peterson's family left the courthouse, a crowd of about 100 people cheered and clapped.

"Our family is going to make it," said Ron Grantski, Laci's Peterson stepfather. "We're stronger because of this, and Scott got what he deserved."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=2&u=/ap/20050316/ap_on_re_us/laci_peterson_18

Who's Scott Peterson? Sorry for asking this by the way.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/05 at 2:39 pm

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/photos/scott-peterson.jpg

This is Scott Peterson^

Howard

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/18/05 at 2:47 pm

http://www.tabloidcolumn.com/photos/scott-peterson.jpg

This is Scott Peterson^

Howard

Tell me a bit more about him. Was he a con man?

Written By: Howard on 03/18/05 at 2:53 pm

Tell me a bit more about him. Was he a con man?

He was the one who murdered Laci Peterson.Yes I believe he was a con man.  >:(

Howard

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/18/05 at 2:56 pm

He was the one who murdered Laci Peterson.Yes I believe he was a con man.  >:(

Howard

Good. Guys like him should not be allowed to walk this planet. Glad he's gone  ; :D

Written By: Apricot on 03/18/05 at 3:03 pm

As much as I oppose th' death penalty, I'm glad this is over. If he went to jail, they'd still find some way to put him in the news. I am just soooooo glad he'll finally go away, dead or not.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/05 at 3:43 pm

Good. Guys like him should not be allowed to walk this planet. Glad he's gone   ; :D

He's not quite gone yet.He will be in jail till his sentence is up.

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/18/05 at 4:16 pm

As much as I oppose th' death penalty, I'm glad this is over. If he went to jail, they'd still find some way to put him in the news. I am just soooooo glad he'll finally go away, dead or not.

Yeah, I don't really care what they do to him as long as he can't kill again and we don't have to hear about this random yuppie psycho!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/05 at 6:19 pm

Mr. Brown had to ask who Scott Peterson is.  Lucky fellow.  That means he lives where the media didn't obsess about Scott and Laci.

One more thing, Peterson is a sociopath.  He couldn't bring himself to express any emotion about Laci's death.  He's also a narcissist (they go hand-in-hand).  The only time he cried was when his defense was talking about HIM and what a hard upbringing HE had.
There's no teaching Peterson a lesson.  Whether he's put away until natural death or executed, the only good it will do is keeping that dumb animal off the street!
::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/18/05 at 6:57 pm

Mr. Brown had to ask who Scott Peterson is.  Lucky fellow.  That means he lives where the media didn't obsess about Scott and Laci.

One more thing, Peterson is a sociopath.  He couldn't bring himself to express any emotion about Laci's death.  He's also a narcissist (they go hand-in-hand).  The only time he cried was when his defense was talking about HIM and what a hard upbringing HE had.
There's no teaching Peterson a lesson.  Whether he's put away until natural death or executed, the only good it will do is keeping that dumb animal off the street!
::)

That's what I've been saying, evil is a DISEASE.  That's not to say they shouldn't be held responsible for their actions, it's just saying that "evil" is not caused by the devil and criminals do not have normal minds.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 03/18/05 at 7:02 pm

The thing that has always puzzled me about this case is why people are so amped up about it.  It was a terrible crime, of course, but what about that women who drowned her babies in the car a few years ago?  People shook there heads and said, "yeah, that's a shame... what's for dinner?"  And the guy that got dragged behind a truck by those bigots?  People shook there heads and said, "yeah, that's a shame... hey, pass the ketchup".  Not to mention all the horrible crimes you hear about every single day.  But for this guy, everyone's blood boils and they want to see him die the worst possible death.  Why is that?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/18/05 at 7:35 pm

The thing that has always puzzled me about this case is why people are so amped up about it.  It was a terrible crime, of course, but what about that women who drowned her babies in the car a few years ago?  People shook there heads and said, "yeah, that's a shame... what's for dinner?"  And the guy that got dragged behind a truck by those bigots?  People shook there heads and said, "yeah, that's a shame... hey, pass the ketchup".  Not to mention all the horrible crimes you hear about every single day.  But for this guy, everyone's blood boils and they want to see him die the worst possible death.  Why is that?

I really don't get it.  Although the baby drowning was from insanity most likely, and the Laci Peterson murder was a cold sociopathic murder. 

Am I the only one who would not get mad pleasure out of seeing Peterson drawn and quartered?  I'm glad he's gotten justice but it seems like even anti-dp people often change their agenda for this case.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/19/05 at 1:17 am

He's not quite gone yet.He will be in jail till his sentence is up.

Howard

Good. We don't guy's like walking our planet.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/05 at 7:18 am

Good. We don't guy's like walking our planet.

Then it's time for the execution chamber where he'll be fried like chicken >:(

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/05 at 7:39 am

Howard

Let's hope that they use canola oil when he's fried.  It has no transfats and less saturated fat than conventional cooking oils.  Much healthier.

;D ;D

LB

Written By: 90s boy on 03/19/05 at 1:21 pm

yea i do think hes guilty but there was no hard evidence that he killed her outher than shady behavior so why hes getting put to death there no real proufe that he did it

Written By: Brian Damaged on 03/19/05 at 2:12 pm

Hard evidence is optional.  You just have to pick the right jury.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/19/05 at 2:17 pm

Howard

Good. But when will that be?

Written By: Howard on 03/19/05 at 8:10 pm

Good. But when will that be?

Hopefully when this year is up,most likely. >:(

Howard

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/05 at 8:58 pm

I really don't get it.  Although the baby drowning was from insanity most likely, and the Laci Peterson murder was a cold sociopathic murder.   

Am I the only one who would not get mad pleasure out of seeing Peterson drawn and quartered?  I'm glad he's gotten justice but it seems like even anti-dp people often change their agenda for this case.

Yeah, but she still killed a baby.

And yes, you are the only person, you sadistic sumbitch.  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/19/05 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, but she still killed a baby.

And yes, you are the only person, you sadistic sumbitch.  ;D

True, there's no excuse.  I would not want Scott drawn and quartered, I worded it vaguely.  I meant I would not find pleasure in such business.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 10:57 pm

Okay....so he tells guards as he's being transfered to San Quentin that he's excited..or something to that effect. What a frickin' loser. AND today some moronic defense attorney justified Petersons actions saying he was justy happy to be out of county....and when asked why Peterson had NOTHING to say to Lacie's mother..no apology....OR even a "I'm innocent"...the defense attorney said that he had already said that when he entered his not guilty plea.....I cannot STAND "Defense" attorneys :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/05 at 11:09 pm

Okay....so he tells guards as he's being transfered to San Quentin that he's excited..or something to that effect. What a frickin' loser. AND today some moronic defense attorney justified Petersons actions saying he was justy happy to be out of county....and when asked why Peterson had NOTHING to say to Lacie's mother..no apology....OR even a "I'm innocent"...the defense attorney said that he had already said that when he entered his not guilty plea.....I cannot SATND "Defense" attorneys :P

You didn't happen to notice over the course of this trial that Scott Peterson is dumb as a bag of doorknobs?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/19/05 at 11:36 pm

Okay....so he tells guards as he's being transfered to San Quentin that he's excited..or something to that effect. What a frickin' loser. AND today some moronic defense attorney justified Petersons actions saying he was justy happy to be out of county....and when asked why Peterson had NOTHING to say to Lacie's mother..no apology....OR even a "I'm innocent"...the defense attorney said that he had already said that when he entered his not guilty plea.....I cannot SATND "Defense" attorneys :P

I find Scott Peterson to be of the worst of murderers.  He is just so cold and emotionless. 

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 4:17 am

Hopefully when this year is up,most likely. >:(

Howard

It should be sooner rather than waiting until this year is up  >:(

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/20/05 at 4:42 pm

It should be sooner rather than waiting until this year is up  >:(

I really couldn't care as long as they don't set him free or treat him like royalty.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/05 at 6:17 pm

I really couldn't care as long as they don't set him free or treat him like royalty.

No,Devo he'll get his just desserts >:(

Howard

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/20/05 at 8:28 pm

I live for the day Scott dies or gets the crap beat out of him. I hate him so friggin much  >:(

Written By: Apricot on 03/20/05 at 8:34 pm

I find Scott Peterson to be of the worst of murderers.  He is just so cold and emotionless. 

That's a sociopath for ya.

But still, I don't find him to be the worst. He only killed a woman and a baby. People like Son of Sam and th' like killed a Hell of a lot more. I think they're worse.

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/20/05 at 8:35 pm

But still, I don't find him to be the worst. He only killed a woman and a baby. People like Son of Sam and th' like killed a Hell of a lot more. I think they're worse.

"only?"  :o

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/20/05 at 8:59 pm

when this year is up,most likely. >:(

Howard

There is no way.  It will take five years just for the California state supreme court to hear the appeal.  According to Fox News, the average death penalty takes 11 years and the average death penalty in the state of California takes 16 years.  That's the estimates for how long it will take for him to get his death penalty; 11-16 years!  Remember, he just became number 644 on San Quinten death row, meaning he has 643 people ahead of him.

It's sad it takes that long to get the death penalty.  If it was Texas, it would only take their average of 6 years.

Written By: ski_luvr on 03/20/05 at 9:25 pm

I don't support the death penalty.

And for those who are so happy he got sentenced to deathrow, keep in mind that he will probably be there 20 years(or more). If he was given life and put in with the general population, he'd be dead in a year.
EYE FOR AN EYE  In Prison We the tax payers pay for all the inmates How do you think they eat! NOT CHARITY! Death Penalty Or death by inmate dead is dead and all who get the death penalty are given this for a reason.  If someone was to do this to your family you may think differently!  My second cousin was kidnapped and found strangled and it took two years to find the SOB and he got 20 years and is now a free man! He is free to be with his family! What about my Family we'll never see Mark again he was only 11 God gave Man  the ability to rationalize and this is what separates us from the Animals.  He chose to be irrational and take the lives of His wife and child so he could mess around!  For every action there is a reaction and his is DEATH BY LETHAL INJECTION!  Her family has some closure what little closure this is its well deserved considering the circumstances. Lacie and Connor got Justice and the Pig that took their lives will get his!!!!!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/20/05 at 9:37 pm

EYE FOR AN EYE  In Prison We the tax payers pay for all the inmates How do you think they eat! NOT CHARITY! Death Penalty Or death by inmate dead is dead and all who get the death penalty are given this for a reason.  If someone was to do this to your family you may think differently!  My second cousin was kidnapped and found strangled and it took two years to find the SOB and he got 20 years and is now a free man! He is free to be with his family! What about my Family we'll never see Mark again he was only 11 God gave Man  the ability to rationalize and this is what separates us from the Animals.   He chose to be irrational and take the lives of His wife and child so he could mess around!  For every action there is a reaction and his is DEATH BY LETHAL INJECTION!  Her family has some closure what little closure this is its well deserved considering the circumstances. Lacie and Connor got Justice and the Pig that took their lives will get his!!!!!

El Duderino will probably argue that the death penalty costs more, but I have a couple of questions for him.  First, is it the death penalty that costs more than life in prison without parole, or is it the lengty appeals that the democrat party has demanded.  Second, isn't it in the interest of the morals of the average American taxpayer to pay taxes so that the murderer gets death, and not a comfy jail cell with three meals a day where he lives better than half of the outside world?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/21/05 at 12:02 am

True.  Mass murderers are pretty obvious though.  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 12:02 pm

Whether it's one, two or 50 thousand that die...a murderer is a murderer

Written By: Howard on 03/21/05 at 4:04 pm

There is no way.  It will take five years just for the California state supreme court to hear the appeal.  According to Fox News, the average death penalty takes 11 years and the average death penalty in the state of California takes 16 years.  That's the estimates for how long it will take for him to get his death penalty; 11-16 years!  Remember, he just became number 644 on San Quinten death row, meaning he has 643 people ahead of him.

It's sad it takes that long to get the death penalty.  If it was Texas, it would only take their average of 6 years.

Why so long GW? ???

Howard

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/22/05 at 6:06 am

Why so long GW? ???

Howard

Because of the long appeals process.  Texas has stopped that by passing a bill that says if you kill someone, and three credible witnesses see you kill that person and testify, you will be executed in 90 days, no appeals. 

The appeals process for the death penalty is absurd, and only serves to make the death penalty costly to the states.  You can blame the...... :-X

Written By: bj26 on 03/22/05 at 6:47 am

I think we're all missing the point, probably me most of all!  The way I see it, the penalty for a crime should not have anything to do with measures of death, torture, cost, etc.; ithe penalty should be comensurate to the level of debt owed for the crime committed.  If we inject Peterson to death, what debt has he repaid?  Nothing. He needs to repay society for his crime, and the way I see it, he owes us for the lives of an innocent young woman and her unborn baby.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/22/05 at 1:59 pm

I think we're all missing the point, probably me most of all!  The way I see it, the penalty for a crime should not have anything to do with measures of death, torture, cost, etc.; ithe penalty should be comensurate to the level of debt owed for the crime committed.  If we inject Peterson to death, what debt has he repaid?  Nothing. He needs to repay society for his crime, and the way I see it, he owes us for the lives of an innocent young woman and her unborn baby.

I've said before that I think lifers should be able to help society, perhaps be obliged to do it.  It's not fair for them to live so good, but there's no need to make their stay any more of a nightmare than it really is.  All the hate in their life covers all the torture they deserve.  It's their freedom they've forfeited, not their humanity.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/22/05 at 7:40 pm

u guys are forgeting that there wasent many evdice to provie he really did it so the death sentenced is stuped to do if theres no real facts

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/22/05 at 9:19 pm

El Duderino will probably argue that the death penalty costs more, but I have a couple of questions for him.  First, is it the death penalty that costs more than life in prison without parole, or is it the lengty appeals that the democrat party has demanded.  Second, isn't it in the interest of the morals of the average American taxpayer to pay taxes so that the murderer gets death, and not a comfy jail cell with three meals a day where he lives better than half of the outside world?

First of all it's not the "Democrat" party, it is the "Democratic" party, althout the Dems are enslaved to the fascist corporations NEARLY as much as the GOP, but at least they try to behave as though they were in a "democratic" country.
Secondly, your second statement informs me you don't have a grip on the basic tenets of this thing we call "morality."
Thirdly, very little of the total amount of money American taxpayers shell out to the prison-industrial complex goes to sustain the lives of murderers.  There are far more people in prison on drug-relate charges, petty larceny, simple assault, and burglary than murder.
And finally, the rapid increase in the number of prisons and the number of incarcerated citizens over the past 25 years has been a boon to the capitalists.
They get to make scads of money off prison contracting and staffing, and outsourcing service jobs to prison labor.  The capitalist class also gets to cow the working class into submission through fear of going to prison.  As one homeless woman in Springfield, Mass., said recently, there are often no beds in the shelters and no beds in the drug-treatment programs, but there's always a bed in jail.
Building "a lot more prisons" was a major theme in the George H.W. Bush campaign, but improving the terrible conditions under which poor Americans try to survive was NOT!

While the Rightie hypocrites expound their political grandstanding about Terri Schiavo, they continue to seek easier ways of putting to death the incarcerated and the chronically ill indigent.

If I was captain of the town, I would send any citizen who whined about "country club prisons" to the nearest maximum security facility for a week in order to relieve them of their silly delusions.
:P

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/23/05 at 6:22 am

Thirdly, very little of the total amount of money American taxpayers shell out to the prison-industrial complex goes to sustain the lives of murderers.  There are far more people in prison on drug-relate charges, petty larceny, simple assault, and burglary than murder.

I guess that you don't know many people who have died because of drugs peddled to them by dirt-bag drug dealers.

And nearly half of inner-city murders are directly related to drug dealing.

Selling drugs is very similar to "depraved indifference leading to death".  >:(

Written By: Howard on 03/23/05 at 4:13 pm

I always wondered what would've happened if Laci and Scott had lived a better life with each other? ???

Howard

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/23/05 at 7:49 pm

I always wondered what would've happened if Laci and Scott had lived a better life with each other? ???

Howard

Laci would still be alive and they'd have a little boy and we'd never know that they existed.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/24/05 at 2:35 am

I guess that you don't know many people who have died because of drugs peddled to them by dirt-bag drug dealers.

And nearly half of inner-city murders are directly related to drug dealing.

Selling drugs is very similar to "depraved indifference leading to death".  >:(

Great post.  We'll see if anyone responds.

"If we legalize drugs, the drug dealers won't have anything to do, so they'll become law-abiding citizens, get jobs, pay taxes, and live happily ever after."  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/24/05 at 1:59 pm

Laci would still be alive and they'd have a little boy and we'd never know that they existed.

But,let's say if he only had taken care of his wife and none of this crap wouldn't have happened,maybe we wouldn't have seen them on television.

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/05 at 3:58 pm

Great post.  We'll see if anyone responds.

"If we legalize drugs, the drug dealers won't have anything to do, so they'll become law-abiding citizens, get jobs, pay taxes, and live happily ever after."  ::)

There are deeper sociological and philosophical questions as to why people sell drugs, why people buy drugs, and why people take drugs.

I agree with what you are implying to a certain extent.  Legalizing drugs won't solve all our problems with drug abuse.  If criminals could no longer make money off of selling drugs, they would find some other malfeasance to earn a crooked dollar. 
However, the current drug codes give tremendous power to international drug cartels and make street dealing of drugs from heroin to marijuana extremely profitable.
I never implied drug dealers were a harmless lot.

Check for new replies or respond here...