inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TAKE A HINT: TODAY'S MUSIC DOES NOT SUCK

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 12:46 am

Why live in the past. The 80's and 90's are way gone. Why can't people enjoy the music of today from bands such as Stereophonics, U2, Ash, Britney Spears, Christina Aguleria, Hives and Feeder. So come on people, get your head of the cloud and listen to today's music

Subject: Re: TAKE A HINT: TODAY'S MUSIC DOES NOT SUCK

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/27/05 at 12:56 am

I don't hate all of today's songs, just those by the women on your list. I'm glad you didn't add N'Sync or Backstreet Boys to the list. ::)
Why live in the past. The 80's and 90's are way gone. Why can't people enjoy the music of today from bands such as Stereophonics, U2, Ash, Britney Spears, Christina Aguleria, Hives and Feeder. So come on people, get your head of the cloud and listen to today's music

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 12:59 am

Nah, I think I'm happier with my head in the cloud...  if they took the "ghetto" out of the music, I might actually start to enjoy it..

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 1:00 am

Nah, I think I'm happier with my head in the cloud...  if they took the "ghetto" out of the music, I might actually start to enjoy it..

How old are you just out of interest?

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 1:00 am

I don't hate all of today's songs, just those by the women on your list. I'm glad you didn't add N'Sync or Backstreet Boys to the list. ::)

I was thinking about it but they are practically non-existant now.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 1:01 am

How old are you just out of interest?

I'm 33.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 1:06 am

I'm 33.

I'll let you off then

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 1:07 am

I'll let you off then

Thanks!  :)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 1:08 am

Thanks!  :)

No problemo dude!

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 1:30 am

I can tolerate a little bit of 00's music... like Coldplay...

but that one song, I think from 2000 they kept playing on the radio all they kept saying was PLEASE STAND UP, PLEASE STAND UP, PLEASE STAND UP

irritating.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 1:35 am

but that one song, I think from 2000 they kept playing on the radio all they kept saying was PLEASE STAND UP, PLEASE STAND UP, PLEASE STAND UP

irritating.

lol. That would be Eminem with "The Real Slim Shady". I like that song alot. I am an Eminem fan.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/05 at 1:53 am

I think today's culture is too "ghetto", too much ghetto slang, ghetto music, etc. I like some rap and hip-hop, but I don't go around using ghetto language and calling everything "pimp" or whatever. It's the last 2 or 3 years that it seems that the ghetto culture has completely taken over. Even in 2000, kids did not use the ghetto speak at levels like today.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/27/05 at 12:01 pm

I like some of the music today like Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Ashlee Simpson, even Nsync.  And I'm not a kid I'm 29.  I dont know why but I love Pop music..but 80's is my favorite  :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/27/05 at 12:16 pm

90% of the music in the 80s sucked, IMHO. i just listen to what i liked then as i do with this decades music.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/27/05 at 1:06 pm

I think today's culture is too "ghetto", too much ghetto slang, ghetto music, etc. I like some rap and hip-hop, but I don't go around using ghetto language and calling everything "pimp" or whatever. It's the last 2 or 3 years that it seems that the ghetto culture has completely taken over. Even in 2000, kids did not use the ghetto speak at levels like today.

agreed...

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/27/05 at 1:12 pm

U2 has songs from the 80's like...I still havent found what im lookin for...todays U2 vertigo...i love as much...but to reply to your comment of "today music doesnt suck"...today doesnt suck...but!...im sure i agree on the rap scnece and kindergateners saying F*ck you...and shut up D**kface...im just suprized their parents let them listen to rap and hip-hop...cuz really i dont see U2 or Yellowcard say F*ck and B**ch in the same sentence...so why are little children, teenagers even some adults being "ghetto"...with all talk and no walk...i just laguh..but people shouldnt be like this..im sorry...

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 1:26 pm

90% of the music in the 80s sucked, IMHO. i just listen to what i liked then as i do with this decades music.

I do agree with you. I love todays music especially bands like Stereophonics and Scissor Sisters.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 2:13 pm

I'm 45 but do like SOME of today's stuff. My kids turned me on to Weezer and Godsmack and I also like other stuff, it's only my opinion that I don't think music is as good as it used to be...with some exceptions.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 2:17 pm

I'm 45 but do like SOME of today's stuff. My kids turned me on to Weezer and Godsmack and I also like other stuff, it's only my opinion that I don't think music is as good as it used to be...with some exceptions.

Weezer are good. Not heard of Godsmack though. Are they a rock band?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 2:20 pm

Weezer is still around??  Wow.  I don't keep up on today's music at all, but I remember liking "Buddy Holly" by Weezer in the 90's...

Is their music still the same style?  I might actually like that, if they haven't gone ghetto too..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 2:23 pm

Weezer is still around??  Wow.  I don't keep up on today's music at all, but I remember liking "Buddy Holly" by Weezer in the 90's...

Is their music still the same style?  I might actually like that, if they haven't gone ghetto too..
http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/artists_lounge/featured_artists/images/weezer.jpg

They released "The Green Album" in 2001...."Island In The Sun, Hash Pipe...I love the whole CD...you should check it out ;)

www.weezer.com

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 2:24 pm

Weezer are good. Not heard of Godsmack though. Are they a rock band?
Yes...kinda like Metalicca but without an anal drummer ;)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 2:39 pm

Yes...kinda like Metalicca but without an anal drummer ;)

Is that Gobsmack your on about? I like Matalica. I might just take a listen to them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 5:32 pm

Is that Gobsmack your on about? I like Matalica. I might just take a listen to them.
I prefer Godsmack to Metallica...simply because of Lars Ulrich :P

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/27/05 at 5:56 pm

I'm 17, and I can say I really have nothing for the popular music of today. Note that I do say popular music, because I like a lot of the stuff being put out right now in the NUjazz genre. Other than that I don't care for current popular American music. Also, notice here that I said American, because there is some current foreign music that I like.

As far as Rock goes,it iis dead to me. I just don't like the style of today's Rock; it just doesn't have the same soul(like somebody said in a good song once). I've even tried checking out all of the "underground" bands(i.e. the stuff not getting play on Mtv or Fuse), but I just cannot find a current band or artist I like.

The only thing rap related I like is a band called "Goldie Looking Chain", who are an alternative Welsh rap band. But even so, I only LIKE them, they aren't all that great.

I stick to classic rock for the most part.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/27/05 at 8:15 pm

19 here... I really can't stand most pop music and all rap that is out today. Of course looking back at Top 40 over the past 20 years, not much has changed. Although music today does tend to be more about image, what people (don't) wear in music videos and how much money (bling bling) the singer (rapper) has.

But I think in order to fully appreciate music, you need to have an understanding and appreciation of music from years gone by.

Written By: zcrito on 03/27/05 at 10:19 pm

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/artists_lounge/featured_artists/images/weezer.jpg

They released "The Green Album" in 2001...."Island In The Sun, Hash Pipe...I love the whole CD...you should check it out ;)

www.weezer.com

I checked out "The Green Album". Sounds pretty good. I forgot all about their "Buddy Holly" song from '94. Thanks for your "enlightenment" (and you too, ADH).

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 11:18 pm

I prefer Godsmack to Metallica...simply because of Lars Ulrich :P

Isn't Lars Ulrich in Matallica?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 11:21 pm

I checked out "The Green Album". Sounds pretty good. I forgot all about their "Buddy Holly" song from '94. Thanks for your "enlightenment" (and you too, ADH).

yeah Buddy Holly was right around the time of the infamous "if you want to destroy my sweater, pull this thread as i walk away..." lol

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 11:34 pm

yeah Buddy Holly was right around the time of the infamous "if you want to destroy my sweater, pull this thread as i walk away..." lol
;D ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/28/05 at 11:57 am

irritating.

..and who was that nugget who kept shouting  "All SIT DOWN... SIT DOWN...  SIT DOWN NEXT TO ME-E-E..blah blah...James wasn't it..??

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/28/05 at 12:01 pm

..and who was that nugget who kept shouting  "All SIT DOWN... SIT DOWN...  SIT DOWN NEXT TO ME-E-E..blah blah...James wasn't it..??

Fantastic song, but it was released in 1991 and then again in 1998.

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 12:02 pm

Fantastic song, but it was released in 1991 and then again in 1998.

Absolutely. I like that song too.  :)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/28/05 at 12:06 pm

Absolutely. I like that song too.  :)

Glad somebody does :) It's such a big disappointment that Mr Tumnus doesn't like :(

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/28/05 at 4:18 pm

Dunno why it should be a disappointment? 

plus I didn't say I disiked it..HUH?

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 5:56 pm

Glad somebody does :) It's such a big disappointment that Mr Tumnus doesn't like :(

We all like different stuff. That's the way. :)

Written By: the_omega on 03/29/05 at 2:24 am

I'm 18 and hate most of todays music it realy gets to me all this 'ghetto' attitude, i don't seee the point in it, I do like a couple of recent bands (depends what you think recent is) like linkin park, birthday massacre, korn etc but i mainly like bands that have been around for a while and got new stuff liike marilyn manson (although im not as keen on his new stuff) and ICP, mushroomhead, nightwish etc.

maybe in a couple yars music will get better.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/29/05 at 3:59 am

Dunno why it should be a disappointment? 

plus I didn't say I disiked it..HUH?

I realize that now. Sorry

Written By: Kyle on 03/29/05 at 6:58 pm

Do you know what group started that "ghetto" crap?  A little dinky little group called *NSYNC, then came Eminem, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, and the rest of the gang!  ;D 

Written By: Robbo on 03/29/05 at 8:23 pm

lol. That would be Eminem with "The Real Slim Shady". I like that song alot. I am an Eminem fan.

That explains alot.

I have alot of problems with today's music. One of them is that you have to be sexy to get a record deal these days. Artists focus way too much on image then music.
Another thing that concerns me is melody. Where the hell did melody go? Great melodies live on forever, that's why people still love to listen to Mozart, Beethoven, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Motown, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Abba, Bee Gees, Michael Jackson, Prince etc.
There is a seriosu lack of melody in songs today. I can't understand it. Melody and rhythm go together hand in hand. It's the basics of music. People aren't even doing the basics anymore. The lack of melody in today's music is a big problem.
I would also love some real musicians. Real instruments. In most new songs (with the exception of rock music), the drumkit has been replaced with a drum machine or a computer. Some songs, every instrument is conputerized. That's not how it's supposed to be. Even some singers have there voice edited. If they don't hit a note, or if they sing off key, the sound guy can push the off notes up a bit so that they're on pitch.
Today's music sucks, and there's not alot we can do but put up with it. The proof that today's music sucks is that when an old artist from the 60's-80's releases a greatest hits album it always outsells new albums. U2's new album is cleaning up! They are outselling any new artist or group. People like old music more than new music.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 8:52 pm

That explains alot.

I have alot of problems with today's music. One of them is that you have to be sexy to get a record deal these days. Artists focus way too much on image then music.
Another thing that concerns me is melody. Where the hell did melody go? Great melodies live on forever, that's why people still love to listen to Mozart, Beethoven, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Motown, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Abba, Bee Gees, Michael Jackson, Prince etc.
There is a seriosu lack of melody in songs today. I can't understand it. Melody and rhythm go together hand in hand. It's the basics of music. People aren't even doing the basics anymore. The lack of melody in today's music is a big problem.
I would also love some real musicians. Real instruments. In most new songs (with the exception of rock music), the drumkit has been replaced with a drum machine or a computer. Some songs, every instrument is conputerized. That's not how it's supposed to be. Even some singers have there voice edited. If they don't hit a note, or if they sing off key, the sound guy can push the off notes up a bit so that they're on pitch.
Today's music sucks, and there's not alot we can do but put up with it. The proof that today's music sucks is that when an old artist from the 60's-80's releases a greatest hits album it always outsells new albums. U2's new album is cleaning up! They are outselling any new artist or group. People like old music more than new music.

You are a ok in my book, my friend. 8)

I miss music with melody so much. :(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/29/05 at 9:06 pm

Not ALL of todays music sucks....but I will admit that the majority of it does.

Now the POP genre,....ALL OF IT SUCKS.....Hands down.

it's the epitome of lame.

~Beth

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 9:18 pm

maybe some people just dont like it? hmm heres a thought......maybe some people do listen to it but still likes hearing the old sounds too...of course mostly everything back then is ripped off today so you dont really have to listen to older music anymore do you???

Written By: Alana on 03/29/05 at 9:50 pm

I'm 13, but I can only tolerate certian bands from this decade! I like Peter Schilling's english and german stuff from the 80's and his german stuff from the 90's and 00's! I also like The Cure and Tears For Fears and Thomas Dolby as well. But when I go to school with kids who listen to Good Charlotte and whoever else I cannot stand, I barely feel like an outsider both in fashion and musicial taste because I have my own little simple luxuries!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/29/05 at 10:00 pm

Being an "outsider" is a good thing....who really wants to mesh with the teeny boppers of today.....its cool to have your own style.

~Beth

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/30/05 at 1:25 pm

Do you know what group started that "ghetto" crap?  A little dinky little group called *NSYNC, then came Eminem, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, and the rest of the gang!   ;D 

...and not to mention the likes of Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, D-12 etc.

Written By: Alicia on 03/30/05 at 1:27 pm

Do you know what group started that "ghetto" crap?  A little dinky little group called *NSYNC, then came Eminem, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, and the rest of the gang!   ;D 

isnt NSync pop? how is that ghetto?

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/30/05 at 1:30 pm

isnt NSync pop? how is that ghetto?

"Girlfriend" by NSYNC featured Nelly, so I guess you could say that that song was "from the ghetto".

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/30/05 at 2:29 pm

Being an "outsider" is a good thing....who really wants to mesh with the teeny boppers of today.....its cool to have your own style.

~Beth

Man if i were the king of England i would so knight you right now for that staement. it might be to some carzy & stupid...But i love it!!

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/30/05 at 2:31 pm

You are a ok in my book, my friend. 8)

I miss music with melody so much. :(

same here!

Written By: Alicia on 03/30/05 at 7:08 pm

"Girlfriend" by NSYNC featured Nelly, so I guess you could say that that song was "from the ghetto".

ok just because it had some black guy singing it it esp since it's Nelly doesnt mean its ghetto...also what about that one song by Tim Magraw and that one guy I think it is Nelly..is that Ghetto..it has a country star and rap star in i...wait the "ghetto" side wins....

Written By: Johnny Vega on 03/30/05 at 7:14 pm

Nelly being ghetto, plz, he didn't come from the ghetto despite how he portrays himself.... a true rap artist wouldn't collaborate with "Tim McGraw" although he had a much harder life then Nelly ever had.... Today's music offers more variety then ever before, but at what price? The quality seems to have severely diminished and whatever original artists do emerge are either lost in the shuffle that is the music business or they usher in about 100 other artists who sound exactly the same..... Rap has become intolerable to listen to because it seems that the more it's embraced, the more originality it loses.... oh, well, I guess that's the price you pay for fame, you make creative compromises for the almighty dollar.

Call me a cynicist, but today's world is just too self absorbed.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/30/05 at 8:11 pm

I hate the "Pop" of all the little teen "girls"...and the boy bands. But really, some  music over the years has ALWAYS sucked, it's just I think more of it sucks now than ever before. I don't count rap as it is NOT music....but not ALL of it sucks either.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 7:59 pm

Today's music mainly sucks.  I miss the music of long ago.  I will admit that there are some bands/musicians that are good today....but most of the mainstream stuff is crap.

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/07 at 8:31 pm

Most mainstream stuff in America and Canada is complete garbage, I agree.  Most of today's music I listen to comes out of the UK and International.  They know what good music is.  In America, it's nothing but (c)rap and hip-hop, and in Canada, it's mostly Alternative Rock songs that sound the same

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/12/07 at 8:58 pm

Nelly being ghetto, plz, he didn't come from the ghetto despite how he portrays himself.... a true rap artist wouldn't collaborate with "Tim McGraw" although he had a much harder life then Nelly ever had.... Today's music offers more variety then ever before, but at what price? The quality seems to have severely diminished and whatever original artists do emerge are either lost in the shuffle that is the music business or they usher in about 100 other artists who sound exactly the same..... Rap has become intolerable to listen to because it seems that the more it's embraced, the more originality it loses.... oh, well, I guess that's the price you pay for fame, you make creative compromises for the almighty dollar.

Profound point.  Society is too materialistically absorbed to concern themselves with the true message of their media.  As I am writing this, some high-falootin' record company executive is undoubtedly basking in a Jacuzzi surrounded by his "ho-train", flaunting a massive erection not from his sexual excitedness but from his self-pride at hijacking popular culture for his benefit.     

With an apparent consensus established here on the ever-declining quality of popular music, I'd be interested to know who is actually buying this verbal refuse.  I shake my head in befuddlement whenever I see one of my white contemporaries getting their kicks off of a rap song.  It obviously relates to image and their lack of individuality, and their insecurity in listening to other forms of music that the "bad boy" class might ridicule (i.e. '80s new wave songs).  Rap music has no value for suburban society, and its merits for the urban community are also highly questionable.  Whenever I see a white dude carousing around shouting out "'Sup homie Gs!?!?", I immediately mutter under my breath, "Real cool, halfwitted ghetto wannabe."   

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 9:01 pm

Most of today's music I listen to comes out of the UK and International.

We obviously have VERY different tastes.

Most good music today is coming from Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland and some of the baltic states.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/12/07 at 9:23 pm

Most music I listen to today tends to come from the UK, Europe or Australia/New Zealand. I agree with Jason when he said that most "alternative rock" sounds the same. All the bands like My Chemical Romance & Panic at the Disco are bland and uninteresting. Go over the the UK and you have the likes of Muse, Kaiser Chiefs, Radiohead, Blur, and many more. What we need (what we've needed since about 1997 or so) is a return to the far more interesting rock of the late 60s and early 70s.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/12/07 at 9:28 pm

Today's mainstream music sucks, but you can still find lots of good stuff out there.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/07 at 9:47 pm

There's a lot of crap out there now, it's been pretty bad the last 3 years or so. However artists like Christina Aguilera, the Fray, Kelly Clarkson, Evanescence do not suck. Do you guys not remember some of your 80s pop music (*cough*New Kids on the Block*cough*), a lot of that stuff is way worse than some of the popular artists I have mentioned. I like some of Nelly Furtado's stuff. The Chili Peppers are still popular making good music. There's still some decent non-emo alternative rock on the rock charts as well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 10:03 pm

There's a lot of crap out there now, it's been pretty bad the last 3 years or so. However artists like Christina Aguilera, the Fray, Kelly Clarkson, Evanescence do not suck. Do you guys not remember some of your 80s pop music (*cough*New Kids on the Block*cough*), a lot of that stuff is way worse than some of the popular artists I have mentioned. I like some of Nelly Furtado's stuff. The Chili Peppers are still popular making good music. There's still some decent non-emo alternative rock on the rock charts as well.

Hey! Don't you be dissin' the New Kids on the Block!!! ;) :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/07 at 10:03 pm

We obviously have VERY different tastes.

Most good music today is coming from Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland and some of the baltic states.

Those countrues have some great Alt Rock groups.  

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/07 at 10:03 pm

Hey! Don't you be dissin' the New Kids on the Block!!! ;) :D

As long as you don't diss Christina!  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 10:04 pm

oh hell no...I <3 Christina!! :)

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/07 at 10:05 pm

oh hell no...I <3 Christina!! :)

yay!!  8)  :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/07 at 10:06 pm

Christina is no Debbie Gibson :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 10:07 pm

hahhaaa....ok, Felly Nertado! ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/07 at 10:07 pm

Yeah I know, Christina actually has talent.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/07 at 10:10 pm

Yeah I know, Christina actually has talent.  :P

;D

Debbie Gibson to many guys is a hasbeen.  Christina Aguilera has been with many guys

I like a few Aguilera songs.  I like "Ain't No Other Man" the best.  What a video! :o

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/07 at 10:11 pm

;D

Debbie Gibson to many guys is a hasbeen.  Christina Aguilera has been with many guys

I like a few Aguilera songs.  I like "Ain't No Other Man" the best.  What a video! :o

I happen to like that one too, for a couple reasons lol.  :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 10:12 pm

hmmm...I wonder what THOSE reasons could be? ;) :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/07 at 10:13 pm

Two BIG reasons? lol

Written By: KKay on 01/12/07 at 10:13 pm

Half the people I know work in some aspect of music. I hear a lot of great music, current music that never gets on the radio, and a lot of crap that does.
Sure, there are good things. I just don't prefer it...
(I'm 41).

Hives and Christina are great.
U2 has been recording more than 15 years. Maybe 20. They ahave proved themselves.  Timberlake is great.
But when i'm in the car, I"m going to put on Pretenders or Eagles or Buzzcocks or Replacements.
when you are my age, you will do the same.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/07 at 10:13 pm

Two BIG reasons? lol

very BIG.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 10:15 pm

very BIG.  ;D

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/downtown.gif???

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/07 at 10:22 pm

very BIG.  ;D

http://www.emoticonzone.com/msn-display-images/animated/boobs.gif

Written By: Tam on 01/13/07 at 1:38 am

... There's still some decent non-emo alternative rock on the rock charts as well.

Karma +1!

I am so tired of hearing about the Emo revolution.
They need to take their Prozac and start writing better stuff IMHO!

Written By: tv on 01/13/07 at 1:41 am

19 here... I really can't stand most pop music and all rap that is out today. Of course looking back at Top 40 over the past 20 years, not much has changed. Although music today does tend to be more about image, what people (don't) wear in music videos and how much money (bling bling) the singer (rapper) has.

But I think in order to fully appreciate music, you need to have an understanding and appreciation of music from years gone by.

The Top 40 over a 20 year period. Your saying that hasn;t been any innovation in the past 20 years of music. Please go more deep for me to understand music hasn;t changed much 20 years. I agree that some music does tend to be about image and most of the bling bling is not tolerable at all.

Written By: tv on 01/13/07 at 2:02 am

Rap was on the decline in 2006 even though its still but not as popular as it was from 2003-2005 when 50 Cent was getting Top 5 hits with every single song he released.

Anyway getting back to todays music I mean I like The Fray, The Killers, Evansense, Nelly Furtado, Nas, Kanye West.  Ciara's new song is cool "Promise". Nas's song is cool and the title of it is "Hip-Hop Is Dead." I think people should take a listen to Nas's new song "Hip-Hop Is Dead" because people on these boards would like it I think. I agree today's music doesn;t all suck but there is alot of room fir improvement in my opinion.

Where is good rock music this decade? There was good rock music in the 90's. There's basically none now. Rock music needs to step up to the mainstream and make an impact. Its hard to believe how far rock music has fallen off the Billboard Charts in favor of rap and girl-pop since 2003. Rock music was still in alright shape in 2002 but once rapper 50 Cent came out in 2003 Rock music took a backseat in the bleachers it seemed like anyway.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/13/07 at 2:19 am

Rap was on the decline in 2006 even though its still but not as popular as it was from 2003-2005 when 50 Cent was getting Top 5 hits with every single song he released.

Anyway getting back to todays music I mean I like The Fray, The Killers, Evansense, Nelly Furtado, Nas, Kanye West.  Ciara's new song is cool "Promise". Nas's song is cool and the title of it is "Hip-Hop Is Dead." I think people should take a listen to Nas's new song "Hip-Hop Is Dead" because people on these boards would like it I think. I agree today's music doesn;t all suck but there is alot of room fir improvement in my opinion.

Where is good rock music this decade? There was good rock music in the 90's. There's basically none now. Rock music needs to step up to the mainstream and make an impact. Its hard to believe how far rock music has fallen off the Billboard Charts in favor of rap and girl-pop since 2003. Rock music was still in alright shape in 2002 but once rapper 50 Cent came out in 2003 Rock music took a backseat in the bleachers it seemed like anyway.

I think the perceived weakening of rap is mainly do to the addition of downloads in the hot 100. Look at the hot 100 airplay, it's totally different, significant more in favor of rap & hip-hop. Under 2004 chart rules, the hot 100 airplay was basically the exact same as the hot 100.

Hot 100:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=The+Billboard+Hot+100

Hot 100 airplay:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=Hot+100+Airplay

The hot 100 airplay is a joke imo, especially number 9, that song is not even that popular, I've never heard it on the radio. Billboard has to recalculate their airplay formula because it's very inaccurate.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/13/07 at 6:17 am

Wow, this thread is ancient, I remember this. ;D

Yeah, as much as I like old-school music, I sometimes get mildly annoyed when people lump all current popular music together and say "it sucks" without giving it a chance.

You know I actually agree (and I say this from the inside, obviously being a huge '80s music buff), there was some pretty cheese-oriented stuff that came out of the late '80s. The best Eighties styled music was from 1979-1986/'87, and I'm more into arena rock, ballads and pop/rock anyway. Well okay, some of that is corny too, but it has a charm to it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/13/07 at 6:56 am

Wow, this thread is ancient, I remember this. ;D

Yeah, as much as I like old-school music, I sometimes get mildly annoyed when people lump all current popular music together and say "it sucks" without giving it a chance.

You know I actually agree (and I say this from the inside, obviously being a huge '80s music buff), there was some pretty cheese-oriented stuff that came out of the late '80s. The best Eighties styled music was from 1979-1986/'87, and I'm more into arena rock, ballads and pop/rock anyway. Well okay, some of that is corny too, but it has a charm to it.

I do like some new music. Mostly newer rock though, I don't really care for modern pop too much, and I don't like really any rap songs released within the last 10 years or so. I mostly like music from the 1964-1997 or so time period, even though I do like some early rockabilly songs from the '50s too.

One important thing too remember though is that, while most of today's mainstream music may suck, there's actually alot of great songs out there that aren't mainstream and don't get a whole lot of attention.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/13/07 at 7:08 am

I know/like Stereophonics, they're pretty good.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/13/07 at 7:19 am

Karma +1!

I am so tired of hearing about the Emo revolution.
They need to take their Prozac and start writing better stuff IMHO!

For example the number 1 song on alternative right now is "Anna-Molly" by Incubus, not emo at all.

Written By: La Roche on 01/13/07 at 7:37 am

Hives are great.
Timberlake is great.

:o

LEAVE..NOW!!

How anybody can pick that shiit over some of the great stuff coming out of Aryan Europe I don't know!

Just from the very North I can pick out Arch Enemy, In Flames, Meshuggah, Therion and Opeth in Sweden, Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon in Norway, Children of Bodom, Amorphis, Apocalyptica, Stratovarius in Finland, Rammstein, Nargaroth and Kreator in Germany.. METAL IST KREIG! Those who defy the Metal Gods shall see Death, Destruction & Chaos come to them and their beloved! Heed the warning, embrace it!

Written By: tv on 01/13/07 at 2:02 pm

I think the perceived weakening of rap is mainly do to the addition of downloads in the hot 100. Look at the hot 100 airplay, it's totally different, significant more in favor of rap & hip-hop. Under 2004 chart rules, the hot 100 airplay was basically the exact same as the hot 100.

Hot 100:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=The+Billboard+Hot+100

Hot 100 airplay:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=Hot+100+Airplay

The hot 100 airplay is a joke imo, especially number 9, that song is not even that popular, I've never heard it on the radio. Billboard has to recalculate their airplay formula because it's very inaccurate.
Song #9 is getting tons of airplay on R&B/Hip-Hop stations in the New York/New Jersey area but its not popular on Top 40 radio though. You maybe right though maybe Billboard does have to tweek their airplay formula though. I mean like I said before Nas's new song is doing well but its nowhere to be found on the airplay or Hot 100 chart. What about "Last Night" by Diddy and Keyshia Cole that song is recieving tons of airplay on R&B/Hip-Hop radio.

Written By: tv on 01/13/07 at 2:21 pm

:o

LEAVE..NOW!!

How anybody can pick that shiit over some of the great stuff coming out of Aryan Europe I don't know!

Just from the very North I can pick out Arch Enemy, In Flames, Meshuggah, Therion and Opeth in Sweden, Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon in Norway, Children of Bodom, Amorphis, Apocalyptica, Stratovarius in Finland, Rammstein, Nargaroth and Kreator in Germany.. METAL IST KREIG! Those who defy the Metal Gods shall see Death, Destruction & Chaos come to them and their beloved! Heed the warning, embrace it!
I've heard of Rammstein because they had that hit in 1998 called "Du Du Hast".

Written By: Brian06 on 01/13/07 at 2:51 pm

Song #9 is getting tons of airplay on R&B/Hip-Hop stations in the New York/New Jersey area but its not popular on Top 40 radio though. You maybe right though maybe Billboard does have to tweek their airplay formula though. I mean like I said before Nas's new song is doing well but its nowhere to be found on the airplay or Hot 100 chart. What about "Last Night" by Diddy and Keyshia Cole that song is recieving tons of airplay on R&B/Hip-Hop radio.

I'm just saying that the huge difference between sales charts and airplay makes it seem like the way they're calculating radio popularity is off. Digital sales are the true indication of popularity imo.

Written By: La Roche on 01/14/07 at 8:11 pm

I've heard of Rammstein because they had that hit in 1998 called "Du Du Hast".

Indeed. Quality.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 01/16/07 at 10:47 am

I listen to a lot of today's acts.  Some of the rock is much better than when it was say 10 years ago in the 90's.  Big fan of Snow Patrol, Emimem 50 Cent and others.

Saddened they took away top of the pops though here in the UK. :(

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 01/18/07 at 9:01 am

I'm only 21 and I keep my radio station tuned to the oldies.  Or I have some classic rock in the CD player.  I do like SOME of today's music: Kanye West, and some rock stuff.  But waiting amongst the other crap on the rock/pop/hip hop stations to find something good hurts my head. 

I hate "EMO"- it's either people whining or screaming.  Either way, I don't consider it music. 

And today's hip/hop is so stupid.  Ok, so of course rappers aren't singers, but some hip/hop artists way back in the day actually had some talent.  People like Tupac or Dr. Dre- sure, maybe they were violent, lyrics weren't the cleanest in the world.  But they (or at least Tupac) rapped about some real-life stuff (like the song "Baby Don't Cry").  Nowadays, all I hear is people rapping about rimz and grillz and other superficial stuff.

Written By: spaceace on 01/18/07 at 9:52 am

Yes it does!!! :P

Written By: Brian06 on 01/18/07 at 10:00 am

What "sucks" is all subjective, people like what they like and it's as simple as that. What sucks to one person, is the best to another. I can almost like ANY kind of music, depending on the mood I'm in at a particular time. Sometimes I'm in the mood for music that's just fun and catchy (a lot of today's music), but not really quality. And then other times I want to listen to music that is of higher quality level. I usually don't take music very seriously like some people, I don't go around analyzing lyrics and stuff, I just listen and enjoy. I know not everybody's like that though.

Written By: spaceace on 01/18/07 at 10:03 am

Right, and I was stating my opinion. :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 01/18/07 at 10:04 am

I won't refuse to listen to a song because I think it's crappy - indeed, I can almost enjoy listening to crappy music, depending on the context. Like stupidly dancing to the Pussycat dolls or something in a club, lol. But most of the time, I prefer fine wine to cheap tequila, Madonna to Britney, Belgium chocolates to Cadbury, I think you get the picture, lol.

Written By: tv on 01/23/07 at 12:03 am

I listen to a lot of today's acts.  Some of the rock is much better than when it was say 10 years ago in the 90's.  Big fan of Snow Patrol, Emimem 50 Cent and others.

Saddened they took away top of the pops though here in the UK. :(
Rock is better than 10 years ago? You could be the first person to say that. Rock music hasn;t been alive since 2002 in my opinion. 10 years we had bands like Sevendust, Filter, Nine inch Nails(the're still around), Faith No More, INXS(they did have a hit in 1997), The Walflowers, The Deftones(they;re still around but I don't hear their songs on the radio) Stabbing Westward, and Foo Fighters(well they're still around) and Everclear when they were still making good music.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/24/07 at 10:27 am

Heavy Metal and rap give me a headache... I'm serious, it really does. D=!

Written By: Mushroom on 01/24/07 at 2:16 pm

For the most part, most "Pop" has pretty much sucked since the early 1990's.

I was brought up in the 1970's and 1980's.  Back then, you had a varied and dynamic music industry.  And most radio stations covered everything, from Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder, to Van Halen, the Rolling Stones, and Duran-Duran.  Today, it is all homogonized, pre-packaged, and done according to the "hit record formula".

To give a good example, I DJed a party for a friend a few months ago.  And one of the complaints that the kids had was that there were no good songs to slow dance to.  So out came my "Oldies", and they had a blast.  It was actually kind of funny to me, since these kids were "bumping and grinding" to some of the same songs that my ex and I danced to before they were even born.

Foreigner, Journey, Wham, these were groups that could go between hard and soft rock, and frequently did.  Even Guns & Roses were able to do it.  But today, the idea of a "Soft Rock" song is probably along the line of "She fudgeing Hates Me" by Puddle Of Mudd.  :D

Written By: tv on 01/24/07 at 10:55 pm

For the most part, most "Pop" has pretty much sucked since the early 1990's.

I was brought up in the 1970's and 1980's.  Back then, you had a varied and dynamic music industry.  And most radio stations covered everything, from Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder, to Van Halen, the Rolling Stones, and Duran-Duran.  Today, it is all homogonized, pre-packaged, and done according to the "hit record formula".

Foreigner, Journey, Wham, these were groups that could go between hard and soft rock, and frequently did.  Even Guns & Roses were able to do it.  But today, the idea of a "Soft Rock" song is probably along the line of "She fudging Hates Me" by Puddle Of Mudd.   :D
Well, In the 90's radio would played varied songs. For example in 1995 they would play a Sheryl Crow song, a Green Day song, or a Dance song on one station. I think since the 1996 Telecommunications act playing varied music genre wise kinda faded out.

I think todays record labels are too conservative and don;t take any chances on anything groundbreaking either. Usually it would be a label could wait 2 records for an artist"to breakthrough"  but now you have to have a hit single right out of the box. I think Rap music exploding in popularity in 2003 rerally took alot of other music genres off the radio. Rock music has done nothing in the last 4 -5 years. There are just alot of factors in fact that have I listed why the "quality" has gone down I say maybe the last maybe 2 years. I thought in October of 2006 maybe music was headed in a clear right direction but we always get more boring rap songs that are hits to keep the glam rap trend alive(to a certain extent) even if Glam Rap wasn;t  as popular as it was in 2005 currently. I liked 1994-1998 and 2001-mid 2005 were ok but once the snap-rap like "Laffy Taffy" came out I haven;t shared the same enthusiam for music that I had in previously had and I'm 27 years old.

I'm tired of EMO. Can they stop whining already? I don't understand the EMO trend. That doesn;t even qualify as real rock music.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/24/07 at 11:24 pm

Well, In the 90's radio would played varied songs. For example in 1995 they would play a Sheryl Crow song, a Green Day song, or a Dance song on one station. I think since the 1996 Telecommunications act playing varied music genre wise kinda faded out.

I think todays record labels are too conservative and don;t take any chances on anything groundbreaking either. Usually it would be a label could wait 2 records for an artist"to breakthrough"  but now you have to have a hit single right out of the box. I think Rap music exploding in popularity in 2003 rerally took alot of other music genres off the radio. Rock music has done nothing in the last 4 -5 years. There are just alot of factors in fact that have I listed why the "quality" has gone down I say maybe the last maybe 2 years. I thought in October of 2006 maybe music was headed in a clear right direction but we always get more boring rap songs that are hits to keep the glam rap trend alive(to a certain extent) even if Glam Rap wasn;t  as popular as it was in 2005 currently. I liked 1994-1998 and 2001-mid 2005 were ok but once the snap-rap like "Laffy Taffy" came out I haven;t shared the same enthusiam for music that I had in previously had and I'm 27 years old.

I'm tired of EMO. Can they stop whining already? I don't understand the EMO trend. That doesn;t even qualify as real rock music.

I agree that snap rap and that Chain Hang Low garbage is ruining hip-hop, totally hate it. When will this crap go away?

Check for new replies or respond here...