inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the 00s

Written By: Andy on 03/27/05 at 8:25 am

Hey

I am interested in writing a story on looking back at the 00s. Like to get some feedback.

Why look back at the 00s now? Has so much happened that they are ready? What was the defining year of the 00s so far?

look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Andy

Subject: Re: the 00s

Written By: whitewolf on 03/27/05 at 8:37 am

To me the 00s are about music with cursing in it (more than usual), terrorists, (I think this will stand out the most when looking back on the 00s) and teens out of control-(at least in my neck of the woods, they are almost all juvenile delinquents) more dope addicts and more stronger drugs on the streets.

Mind you some of todays music is good, Hoobastank, Kelly Clarkson
-Love the Idol series-helps singers break into the business that might not have otherwise been able to

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/27/05 at 11:46 am

I blame Elvis and his suggestive dancing for corrupting the kids.  The Beatles are up to no good either.  It's all the devils music.

Written By: Andy on 03/29/05 at 5:26 am

So, is it a bit of fun  or is there some real value in looking at the 00s so soon? Some people say that 9/11 was so devastating and defining that it sped up the urge to look back?

Written By: Kyle on 03/29/05 at 6:46 pm

To me, the '00s are all about hip-huggers, boy bands/girly pop (which started to go out of style somewhere between the years 2000 and 2002), teen pop, trucker hats, hoop earrings, the "bun" look (which is like, hello, in the sync in 1999), and almost every other freaking song is a rap song.  :D  Not all things are bad; some teen pop is pretty darn good and Bowling for Soup rocks!!  *NSYNC had halfway so-called like, decent music until they started to get gangsta' and sing about Playboy and boobs.  :P ;D  Also, some of the new music (non-rap music, of course!) is pretty good.  The Geek's Get The Girls (2005) is a pretty cool song.  8)  If I was to take out my journal right now, I'll write about all the kool things this second half of the decade may have to offer.

Kyle

Written By: DevoRule on 04/04/05 at 10:08 pm

I think the 2000s will be remember for 2006 to 2009 and perhaps the early 2010s also.  2000 to 2005 will most likely be seen as a campy degeneration of the nineties. 

Has enough happened to look back on?  I'd say no for pop culture.  The early 2000s were very slow for pop culture.  History is another story: 2000 to 2004 was VERY historic.  Although I think it's just beginning.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/04/05 at 10:22 pm

One thing you can say about the '00s is that these 5 years have been very historic. Our nation was attacked by terrorists, we've had a pretty large war in Iraq and a war in Afghanistan as well. Iraq is the largest military conflict the US has been involved in since Vietnam. There was the recession, and the huge stock market growth of the '90s turned into record losses after 9/11, there was a recovery, but the stock market isn't really going anywhere now it's just hanging around 10,000 or so. Very high gas prices, again beginning after September 11, 2001, compared to the very low prices seen in the late '90s. I think September 11 has really shaped this decade very much, a lot of the happenings in the decade are tied in someway to 9/11. This has been a very historic decade for sure.

Written By: Trimac20 (yes, it's me) on 04/05/05 at 2:37 am

I don't think the 00s have 'developed' a character of their own (tho, we are still only halfway through them) like the 60s, 70s, 80s and a lesser extent 90s. Culturally they are just like the 90s, but with improved technology. If anything, they will be remembered as the first decade of the 'true digital age' where most peoples' lives were absolutely dependant on computers. To me they are still very much 90ish and it will not be until about 2010 when another distinct or identifyable 'popular culture'will emerge.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 1:00 pm

I don't think the 00s have 'developed' a character of their own (tho, we are still only halfway through them) like the 60s, 70s, 80s and a lesser extent 90s. Culturally they are just like the 90s, but with improved technology. If anything, they will be remembered as the first decade of the 'true digital age' where most peoples' lives were absolutely dependant on computers. To me they are still very much 90ish and it will not be until about 2010 when another distinct or identifyable 'popular culture'will emerge.

I don't think so.  Sure there are some 90s holdoffs, such as the Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond, Green Day, Avril Lavigne, and baggy pants (all of which date before 1997 I believe except maybe Raymond), but the atmosphere is very different from the 90s, even 1999.  The music is different too.  In fact, the only thing that's really the same is the clothes, and in the early and mid 90s there was some difference too, like sunglasses, overalls, and backwards caps. 

What do you mean the 90s didn't develop a character of their own? Do you mean they were copied by the 2000s (which wouldn't be valid even if true) or they were just a cheap ripoff of the eighties?

But yes, the Zero Decade could have a better flavor.  And stuff from 1996 on could take place today if you didn't know otherwise, but that's more the clothes than anything else.  1990-95 is 80% different in pop culture terms, I'd say.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/05/05 at 2:24 pm

Culturally, the 1970s caterred to young people under the age of 30.  The '80s caterred to young people under 30.  The '90s was all about the angry 20-somethings.  Now in the 2000s it's the tweens and teens.  You are expired at the age of 20 by most culture labeling sources.  Kids today haven't really changed, they've only gotten more ballsier and brassier than us 90's kids.  And who do we thank for this......drum roll please..........the baby boomers! 

Musically, contemporary rock (light rock), hard rock, metal, and pop dominated the '70s and '80s.  Grunge, alternative, gangsta rap, hip hop, rap-rock and more revamped styles of the rock element controlled the '90s and the early '00s.  Now we have a melting pot of styles that allows us to be more open, at the same time be like everyone else.  So the 2000s is a "be different like everyone else decade"

Worldly, of course, the most remembered day in the soon-to-be history of this decade was September 11, 2001.  And as someone quoted in a previous post...a lot has happened in the past 5 years.  I do believe this is a magical time for the world and we have the mindset and technology to go places, do things, meet people, and change the planet.  We understand that we still can't voice our own opinions to the world leaders(baby boomers), but we can still p!ss 'em off with our views and theories until they break down and listen.  It won't be long...

Socially, family values in the 2000s are not there, it seems, anymore because of high divorce rates, family abuse, and child custody battles daily.  The term "global family" erected in the 1980s as a busy family, where mom and dad worked and the kids learned to take care of themselves.  The 1990s was the "nuclear family", which started using technology in the house hold to make things easier...though I don't notice a difference.  Now way too many young people getting married, trying to rekindle alittle bit of that old value to raise their own families.  Some it's working, most are dealing with their worst nightmare.  There's still racism, sterotyping, bigotry, and the like in the world.  We still hate and wish death and misery to those who do us wrong.  All us us have a ways to go before we realize that this frame of mind is old and needs to be rid of itself.  Technically, we're all still children and one day (in this millenium) we will have to grow up.

Right now I think we haven't really changed much, and we will probably be the same way for another 5-10 years, but I know that when the time comes....we will know and start thinking about what lies in front of us and let the past alone. 
I hope some of this can help man... 8)

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 8:09 pm

Culturally, the 1970s caterred to young people under the age of 30.  The '80s caterred to young people under 30.  The '90s was all about the angry 20-somethings.  Now in the 2000s it's the tweens and teens.  You are expired at the age of 20 by most culture labeling sources.  Kids today haven't really changed, they've only gotten more ballsier and brassier than us 90's kids.  And who do we thank for this......drum roll please..........the baby boomers! 

Musically, contemporary rock (light rock), hard rock, metal, and pop dominated the '70s and '80s.  Grunge, alternative, gangsta rap, hip hop, rap-rock and more revamped styles of the rock element controlled the '90s and the early '00s.  Now we have a melting pot of styles that allows us to be more open, at the same time be like everyone else.  So the 2000s is a "be different like everyone else decade"

Worldly, of course, the most remembered day in the soon-to-be history of this decade was September 11, 2001.  And as someone quoted in a previous post...a lot has happened in the past 5 years.  I do believe this is a magical time for the world and we have the mindset and technology to go places, do things, meet people, and change the planet.  We understand that we still can't voice our own opinions to the world leaders(baby boomers), but we can still p!ss 'em off with our views and theories until they break down and listen.  It won't be long...

Socially, family values in the 2000s are not there, it seems, anymore because of high divorce rates, family abuse, and child custody battles daily.  The term "global family" erected in the 1980s as a busy family, where mom and dad worked and the kids learned to take care of themselves.  The 1990s was the "nuclear family", which started using technology in the house hold to make things easier...though I don't notice a difference.  Now way too many young people getting married, trying to rekindle alittle bit of that old value to raise their own families.  Some it's working, most are dealing with their worst nightmare.  There's still racism, sterotyping, bigotry, and the like in the world.  We still hate and wish death and misery to those who do us wrong.  All us us have a ways to go before we realize that this frame of mind is old and needs to be rid of itself.  Technically, we're all still children and one day (in this millenium) we will have to grow up.

Right now I think we haven't really changed much, and we will probably be the same way for another 5-10 years, but I know that when the time comes....we will know and start thinking about what lies in front of us and let the past alone. 

I think the early 90s were the last viable period for pop culture (like it's ever been good really).  By 1993/94-97 pop culture transitioned from bad to unbearable.

As for family values, they've never been great.  I happen to come from a great family, but there's been crappy families for all time.  I think 1994-present or so is more polluted by media than actually less safe.

We've become more paranoid, not meaner, in the past 10 years or so.  Would any agree?  I can't deny youth crime has gone up, but every time has problems.  Just different ones.

Written By: Andy on 04/10/05 at 12:20 pm

I'd like to quote you in my article. Could I have your full name? maybe the State you live in?

thanks

Andy

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/10/05 at 3:38 pm

I'd like to quote you in my article. Could I have your full name? maybe the State you live in?

thanks

Andy

Well, I'm quite flattered.  No problem man. I'll just message it to you. :)

Written By: Andy on 04/11/05 at 3:27 pm

I thought you might be big Seinfeld fan. thanks again for the quotes.

best Andy
Well, I'm quite flattered.  No problem man. I'll just message it to you. :)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/11/05 at 4:06 pm

I thought you might be big Seinfeld fan. thanks again for the quotes.

best Andy

;D ;D ;D........Why do you think I would be a Seinfeld fan?  I like watching the show when I'm bored, but a fan....nah! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...