inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crowded House/Split Enz

Written By: mandamoo on 03/27/05 at 7:58 pm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=47060

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Crowded House

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/27/05 at 8:17 pm

Read about this this morning.

Very sad.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Crowded House/Split Enz

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/27/05 at 11:51 pm

RIP Paul.

Devestated to read this in this mornings paper.

I never got to see Crowded House live - but saw Paul with Split Enz on their Enz With A Bang tour.

A real talent has been lost :(   :\'(

modified to add link to Herald Sun article

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12676912%255E2902,00.html

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/05 at 6:27 am

Split Ends rocked.  I remember when they came out... they had a completely different sound than what was playing back then.

Written By: maddog on 03/28/05 at 3:11 pm

RIP Paul, that's a shocking and sad way to go  :(.

I was lucky enough to see Crowded House play live on 3 occasions here in the UK. My favourite was in 1991 when "Woodface" had just been released but the band were not yet globally successful. They played a small venue here in Manchester, all standing with only about 350 people there. It was a fantastic night, one of the most enjoyable and intimate gigs I've ever been to with the whole band engaging the crowd in good humoured conversation between songs. When they played "Chocolate Cake", someone passed a real chocolate cake up to the bass player (Nick Seymour) and he ate the whole thing!

Paul Hester was a truly talented drummer and vocalist, I'll remember that gig with affection for as long as I'm listening to music :(.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/28/05 at 3:35 pm

This is terribly sad news to me.  I have a lot of affection for Split Enz/Crowded House/Finn Brothers.  I always enjoy their songs, and they seem like such nice lot.
I hope they can pull together and weather this tragedy.

R.I.P. Paul!
:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/02/05 at 4:21 am

The Finns and Nick flew back to Melbourne from the UK yesterday for tomorrows funeral.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/03/05 at 1:42 am

Out of the multitude of articles written about Paulie this week - this one by friend and comedian Brian Nankervis really touched me.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/04/01/1112302235511.html

Did anyone see Paul on Rock Wiz (SBS) last night ?  I usually forget to flick over after The Bill to watch it - but something made me change channel to it just as he was being introduced.  It was filmed two weeks before he died and I found myself searching his words and mannerisms for clues.

At the end he sung Jaggers "Dont Look Back" - and the lyrics really hit me. I am sure they werent meant to be a message - but they really felt like it when watching after the fact.

If it's love that you're running from,
There's no hiding place
Just your problems, no-one else's problems,
You'll just have to face

But if you just put your hand in mine,
We're gonna leave all the trouble behind

Keep on walking - Dont look back!

If your first lover let you down,
There's something that can be done
Don't fear the faith and love,
Remembering what will come

So, if you just put your hand in mine,
We're gonna leave all the trouble behind

Keep on walking - Dont look back!

Written By: jaytee on 04/03/05 at 7:21 am

Very, very sad.  I've been in Melbourne this past week with my nephew and his wife Sally.  Sal had played a few gigs with Paul Hester and was very upset when she got the news.  Did any of the Aussies see "It's A Long Way To The Top" last night?  Every time I saw Crowded House, I got a tear in my eye.  Some of the videos where Paul really was playing up to the cameras made me so sad :\'(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/10/05 at 3:07 am

Every time I saw Crowded House, I got a tear in my eye.  Some of the videos where Paul really was playing up to the cameras made me so sad :\'(

Yeah that was what he did best wasnt it. Always the clown.

Check for new replies or respond here...