inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ANTI-RACISM

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/27/05 at 11:00 pm

ok, so people in my school are extremely racist....therefore I decided to do an anti-racism report. I will be going to Pittsburgh and taking pictures of random acts of unity and such....then writing a report concerning the importance of open mindedness to different races/ways of living.....any ideas for my report...I would REALLY appreciate your help.

Thanks!
~Beth

Subject: Re: ANTI-RACISM

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 11:17 pm

ok, so people in my school are extremely racist....therefore I decided to do an anti-racism report. I will be going to Pittsburgh and taking pictures of random acts of unity and such....then writing a report concerning the importance of open mindedness to different races/ways of living.....any ideas for my report...I would REALLY appreciate your help.

Thanks!
~Beth

I don't know if this will help you or not... but I think it is important to realize there is a difference between RACISM, which is the judging of a person by their color, and other types of prejudice which relate to ACTIONS that tend to involve a specific race.  Many will disapprove of what I'm going to say, but it is the way I feel.

1) Ebonics irritates me.  When people say "I wanna AKS you a question", or "Call yo mama", it really gets on my nerves.  It is a true statement that most people that talk this way are African-American.  An African-American who speaks in ordinary English would not irritate me.  A Caucasian person who said "I wanna AKS you a question" would irritate me.

2) Bad drivers irritate me.  90% of the people who cut me off on the highway happen to be Asian.  An Asian who has not cut me off on the highway would not irritate me at all, and a Caucasian, Hispanic, African-American, etc. who cuts me off would irritate me.

Does that make me racist?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 11:23 pm

What about "Reverse Racism?" Though I hate ALL forms of racism :P

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/27/05 at 11:29 pm

No, I don't think that makes you racist. The people at my school think the KKK is a good thing....and some of them draw swastikas on stuff....if a black/asian person would come to the school....he/she would not be accepted.....they fully judge on appearance only...without getting to know the person first....they think it is sinful when a black person marries a white person. And the "n" word is part of their everyday vocabulary. the judgment that they have against people goes farther than just race.....They actually think that God would honor them if they killed gay people. If you don't fit their criteria of a "one tracked, closed minded Christian"....then you are basically screwed.....which is why I am CONSTANTLY in the Principals office.....because I openly dissagree.

what makes me laugh though

..This is supposed to be a Christian school
Go figure.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't we supposed to reach out to ALL people.....

~Beth

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/27/05 at 11:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't we supposed to reach out to ALL people.....

~Beth

No. Only white, European, middle/upper class males

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 11:37 pm

No, I don't think that makes you racist. The people at my school think the KKK is a good thing....and some of them draw swastikas on stuff....if a black/asian person would come to the school....he/she would not be accepted.....they fully judge on appearance only...without getting to know the person first....they think it is sinful when a black person marries a white person. And the "n" word is part of their everyday vocabulary. the judgment that they have against people goes farther than just race.....They actually think that God would honor them if they killed gay people. If you don't fit their criteria of a "one tracked, closed minded Christian"....then you are basically screwed.....which is why I am CONSTANTLY in the Principals office.....because I openly dissagree.

what makes me laugh though

..This is supposed to be a Christian school
Go figure.

~Beth

I certainly don't mean to be racist... but I do admit I catch myself "profiling" sometimes, and I am making an effort not to do that... I'm sure the ebonics and being cut off will always irritate me but sometimes I have to remind myself not to associate it with race...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/27/05 at 11:41 pm

Remember anti-racism can go too far... to the point where wishing all racists dead or something (maybe not that extreme)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/27/05 at 11:41 pm

I certainly don't mean to be racist... but I do admit I catch myself "profiling" sometimes, and I am making an effort not to do that... I'm sure the ebonics and being cut off will always irritate me but sometimes I have to remind myself not to associate it with race...

Well, I think everyone is guilty of doing that sometimes.

..I just don't think I'll ever get through to these people in my school

They were raised to be like this....and it's terrible the things that they say.....I don't know......what I am going to do may be a usless effort and I know I will earn a few more detentions.....but I'm willing to take my chances.

Thanks for your thoughts

~beth

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/27/05 at 11:43 pm

Remember anti-racism can go too far... to the point where wishing all racists dead or something (maybe not that extreme)

Well I don't wish them dead....I do wish I could get through to them and that they would be a little easier to talk to than a brick wall.

~Beth

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/28/05 at 12:08 am

Well I don't wish them dead....I do wish I could get through to them and that they would be a little easier to talk to than a brick wall.

~Beth

Wasn't meaning you personally... just saying that racism is, well, a double-edged sword

Written By: Harmonica on 03/28/05 at 1:00 am

"One day I hope to live in a nation where I can walk beside my brother/sister whether he/she be black white yellow or red"

Not sure who said that, but I like it.  Think it was Martin Luther King Jr.....but whoever said it also meant to include mexicans, and others who don't fit the "color" regime, as well as those who are mixed.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/28/05 at 12:34 pm

Wasn't meaning you personally... just saying that racism is, well, a double-edged sword

oh ok, I understand now

~Beth :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/28/05 at 3:39 pm

I don't know if this will help you or not... but I think it is important to realize there is a difference between RACISM, which is the judging of a person by their color, and other types of prejudice which relate to ACTIONS that tend to involve a specific race.   Many will disapprove of what I'm going to say, but it is the way I feel.

1) Ebonics irritates me.  When people say "I wanna AKS you a question", or "Call yo mama", it really gets on my nerves.   It is a true statement that most people that talk this way are African-American.  An African-American who speaks in ordinary English would not irritate me.   A Caucasian person who said "I wanna AKS you a question" would irritate me.

2) Bad drivers irritate me.  90% of the people who cut me off on the highway happen to be Asian.  An Asian who has not cut me off on the highway would not irritate me at all, and a Caucasian, Hispanic, African-American, etc. who cuts me off would irritate me.

1) That's not Ebonics, that's bad english. For the record, I've heard southerners say "I Wanna Aks you a question". So, it's bad language. Tying it to "most African-American people" isn't racist, it's generalization based on linguistic inexperience.

2) Why don't you say bad drivers period without concern of race. If a caucasian driver would irritate you just the same, just say bad drivers.

Mark, Reverse prejudice exists. There's no such thing as reverse racism b/c I've yet to hear of any white students having to have armed guards protect them as they attend school, blacks/latinos/asians/native americans leaving a school or neighborhood b/c whites are attending or moving in,  or a burning cross in front of a white, anglo saxon protestant home. Racism is a system of hatred focused on financial, educational, real estate and other factors of society. Prejudice/bias of any kind can occur in the smallest to the most extreme forms in any body.

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/28/05 at 3:44 pm

It does exist, but it is WOEFULLY exaggerated by the Right.  The Right needs to constantly renew the case that wealthy white Christian males are victims.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/28/05 at 4:53 pm

I don't know if this will help you or not... but I think it is important to realize there is a difference between RACISM, which is the judging of a person by their color, and other types of prejudice which relate to ACTIONS that tend to involve a specific race.  Many will disapprove of what I'm going to say, but it is the way I feel.

1) Ebonics irritates me.  When people say "I wanna AKS you a question", or "Call yo mama", it really gets on my nerves.  It is a true statement that most people that talk this way are African-American.  An African-American who speaks in ordinary English would not irritate me.  A Caucasian person who said "I wanna AKS you a question" would irritate me.

THAT is well said and I couldn't agree with you more :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/05 at 8:51 am

It does exist, but it is WOEFULLY exaggerated by the Right.  The Right needs to constantly renew the case that wealthy white Christian males are victims.

If it exists, give me an example of it. I will certainly tell you whether it is simple prejudice or not.

Tanya

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/05 at 5:33 pm

Isn't affirmative action reverse racism?

A minority not being admitted into a school because of race certainly is racism.

A white person not being admitted because of the need for certain ethnic groups surely is racism too?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/05 at 6:19 pm

Stop claiming that affirmative action is reverse racism b/c if you look at America's colleges, white students are still the majority. For the record, those students claiming reverse racism are those who assumed they'd automatically get in. Without affirmative action, America's colleges and universities truly wouldn't have illustrated America's diversity (including women). Affirmative action served all groups, including gender, sexual orientation, and/or handicap.

President Bush received an age old version of Affirmative Action as a legacy at Yale.

Tanya

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/05 at 6:22 pm

Stop claiming that affirmative action is reverse racism b/c if you look at America's colleges, white students are still the majority. For the record, those students claiming reverse racism are those who assumed they'd automatically get in. Without affirmative action, America's colleges and universities truly wouldn't have illustrated America's diversity (including women). Affirmative action served all groups, including gender, sexual orientation, and/or handicap.

President Bush received an age old version of Affirmative Action as a legacy at Yale.

Tanya

Wouldn't a true non-racist policy mean that students get in strictly by merit, REGARDLESS of race?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 6:54 pm

Mark, Reverse prejudice exists. There's no such thing as reverse racism b/c I've yet to hear of any white students having to have armed guards protect them as they attend school, blacks/latinos/asians/native americans leaving a school or neighborhood b/c whites are attending or moving in, or a burning cross in front of a white, anglo saxon protestant home. Racism is a system of hatred focused on financial, educational, real estate and other factors of society. Prejudice/bias of any kind can occur in the smallest to the most extreme forms in any body.

Tanya

Sorry but I disagree. Reverse racism most definitely exists, ESPECIALLY in schools.

My older cousin attended a high school that was about 90% black, and the whites there were treated very poorly. He tried to stay to himself but one of his friends was getting crowded and beat up by a group in the hall(a typical occurance, and the administration did little to stop such things), and he tried to intervene, and ended up getting stabbed.

I also once attended a Junior high that was 60-70 percent minority. Although it wasn't as bad as where my cousin went, racist attitudes were pretty open. But, on the flip side, I have gone to schools that are 95% white, and the black and hispanic kids are treated just fine.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 7:00 pm

Tanya

That is such crap. Why can't all people just get in on their own merits? There are lots of white kids from a low socioeconomic background who could use that extra help too, but they don't get it because of their skin color.

I used to support affirmative action, but after thinking about it awhile I realized that it was wrong.

And also, it would make sense that a majority of students are still white. The majority of the country is still white.

The lack of access to college education is NOT a racial issue. It is a socioeconomic issue. As I said, lots of whites are in a poor position vis a vis getting a college education. Don't you see that affirmative action just divides the house of the underadvantaged against eachother based on race? Whites and non-whites from a poor socioeconomic background are BOTH getting screwed by the man. But instead of working together to make college more available, we are fighting eachother over affirmative action.

What a waste.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/05 at 7:49 pm

That is such crap. Why can't all people just get in on their own merits? There are lots of white kids from a low socioeconomic background who could use that extra help too, but they don't get it because of their skin color.

I used to support affirmative action, but after thinking about it awhile I realized that it was wrong.

And also, it would make sense that a majority of students are still white. The majority of the country is still white.

The lack of access to college education is NOT a racial issue. It is a socioeconomic issue. As I said, lots of whites are in a poor position vis a vis getting a college education. Don't you see that affirmative action just divides the house of the underadvantaged against eachother based on race? Whites and non-whites from a poor socioeconomic background are BOTH getting screwed by the man. But instead of working together to make college more available, we are fighting eachother over affirmative action.

What a waste.

For the record, Affirmative Action involves almost everyone, including those from lower social-economic statuses. Stop looking at it as just a racial thing b/c it's not. Thanks to AA, there are more women in the workforce and in school. There are more handicapped individuals seen as viable aspects of society and not those seeking pity. There are scholarships for everyone. Should I feel sad b/c they don't take them? No, if they don't seek them, maybe they shouldn't be there.

Finally, do not condense what I say as crap. It would be ideal that everyone is judged on their merits. But, as we both know that is not the case. Without AA, even the white kids from lower socioeconomic backgrounds get screwed!

Read between the lines.

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 7:53 pm

No, Affirmative Action is for racial minorities and women. I have never heard of whites getting affirmative action. Prove it.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/05 at 8:02 pm

1) That's not Ebonics, that's bad english. For the record, I've heard southerners say "I Wanna Aks you a question". So, it's bad language. Tying it to "most African-American people" isn't racist, it's generalization based on linguistic inexperience.

2) Why don't you say bad drivers period without concern of race. If a caucasian driver would irritate you just the same, just say bad drivers.

Tanya

I'm not sure if you are asking me to be politically correct when I refer to these annoyances... and if that is the case, you are correct, and I am making an effort to not associate these things with race...

1) If you're implying that I am wrong when I say it is mostly African American's who pronounce "ask" as "aks", then I disagree.  (This is after living on both sides of the country)

2)  Once again, I'm not sure if you're just asking me to be politically correct or if you are disputing the truth of my statement...  I didn't just write down a bunch of races on little papers, pull them out of a hat, and say "ok whichever I pick will be the bad drivers".  It is a VERY TRUE statement that most of the drivers who cut me off are Asian.  Here in CA that has been said by many and is a known stereotype. (not sure about other states)

I really am trying not to connect these things with race... however it is like trying not to tie rap or hip-hop to people under age 25.

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 9:26 pm

I would just like to say that I'm not racist..I hate everyone equally :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:19 pm

I would just like to say that I'm not racist..I hate everyone equally :)

Thats original. ::) ;D

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 10:21 pm

Thats original. ::) ;D

yeah it is thats why i said it  ::)  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...