inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do radio stations answer to listeners or artists/producers?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 12:59 am

Sometimes I think the whole music culture is controlled by our radio stations.  Which statement is more accurate?

a) The radio stations will choose its playlist based on what is popular with its audience

b) The audience will like what is being played on the radio, and therefore it will become popular

Couldn't a radio station "make" a song popular by playing it constantly, therefore leading its listeners to believe it is "hot" and causing listeners to go out and buy it, even if its a horrible song?

Just something to ponder...

Subject: Re: Do radio stations answer to listeners or artists/producers?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/28/05 at 7:42 am

thats why i listen to internet radio. thousands of stations made by people in homes that play music that only you want to hear. death to corporate radio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/05 at 7:47 am

Sometimes I think the whole music culture is controlled by our radio stations.  Which statement is more accurate?

a) The radio stations will choose its playlist based on what is popular with its audience

b) The audience will like what is being played on the radio, and therefore it will become popular

Couldn't a radio station "make" a song popular by playing it constantly, therefore leading its listeners to believe it is "hot" and causing listeners to go out and buy it, even if its a horrible song?

There is one popular radio station in the UK, that always has a request weekend, and on successive weekends of listening, it is always the same records that are played.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/28/05 at 10:13 am

There's ONE station here that's not owned by Clear Channel...they play what you ask for...most of the time.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 12:11 pm

The reason for me posing this question, is that it seems to me that the stations convey an image of being "for the listeners"... and that their "job" is to play what listeners want to hear...as listeners are the ones who listen to their commercials and buy the products..

But sometimes I think their "job" is to "make" a certain song popular at the request of artists/producers.  I don't know how ANY of you guys sing, so don't take this as an insult.. I'm sure some of you are good singers... but here's a question.  If YOU recorded yourself singing an 80's song with a bit of a dance/hip-hop beat, took it to a radio station, and said "Make this popular." and the station played it 10-15 times a day, referred to it as the "new up-and coming vocalist", said it had been "requested by many" before playing it, etc. would they be able to make it popular regardless of your talent?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 12:57 pm

I think it depends on what you mean by "popular"....if you're talking in that particular listening area, then yes it most certainly can, but you have to have at least a small amount of talent.  I'm sure if I did that, they'd laugh me off the station as I'm not the greatest singer, but someone who could sing fairly well would have no problem.

Now, if you're talking nation/world wide popularity, then I think that's a different story.  Well, unless the song has some sort of "gimmick" like the Macarena did.  Then, I think it would be possible ;)

Crazymom, you probably wouldn't be laughed off the station...  many artists featured on the radio SHOULD have been laughed off the station and weren't...  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/28/05 at 1:08 pm

The answer is A.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/28/05 at 1:10 pm

My question is.... how did William Hung become so popular?  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...