inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Will Thel "Ghetto Era" End?

Written By: Kyle on 03/28/05 at 4:29 pm

When will this ever end?  >:(  Ever since the late '90s, people were chomping their cigarretes, swear words came into the mainstreams, and rap music killed off almost every other genre of music expect for pop-punk and some teen pop.  Where are the good artists such as *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, (they may be coming back this year?  :)), Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and Will Smith.  All has been eaten up by 50 Cent, The Game, Snoop Dogg, Lil' John, Baby Bash, Justin Timberlake, Green Day, the Killers, and those RapMetal artists.  :P  I say about 2012.  When do you think?

Subject: Re: When Will Thel "Ghetto Era" End?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/28/05 at 10:23 pm

When will this ever end?  >:(  Ever since the late '90s, people were chomping their cigarretes, swear words came into the mainstreams, and rap music killed off almost every other genre of music expect for pop-punk and some teen pop.   Where are the good artists such as *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, (they may be coming back this year?  :)), Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and Will Smith.  All has been eaten up by 50 Cent, The Game, Snoop Dogg, Lil' John, Baby Bash, Justin Timberlake, Green Day, the Killers, and those RapMetal artists.  :P  I say about 2012.  When do you think?

Hilary Duff and Lohan are current, personally I think they suck, though I found myself listening to "Rumors" a lot. Will Smith has a new song, "Switch". I've also heard about the Backstreet Boys coming back, who knows. Green Day and the Killers are good. Crossfade, Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand, Green Day, the Killers are all good. I actually am finding myself liking a lot of this new rock stuff coming out.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/29/05 at 12:58 am

Where are the good artists such as *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, (they may be coming back this year?  :)), Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and Will Smith.

Huh??  ???

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/05 at 1:40 am

What ^ said.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/29/05 at 6:26 am

You mention that Justin Timberlate is one of the ghetto guys.

But wasn't he one of the Backdoor Boys or In-Synch?

I'm not a fan of most of the rap cr@p either, but there is still plenty of good music out there.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/05 at 8:50 am

What's with the term Ghetto Era?

Tanya

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/29/05 at 11:56 am

You mention that Justin Timberlate is one of the ghetto guys.

But wasn't he one of the Backdoor Boys or In-Synch?

I'm not a fan of most of the rap cr@p either, but there is still plenty of good music out there.

He probably did that because Timberlake did a song with Snoop Dogg, which does not mean he's "ghetto".

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/05 at 11:58 am

He probably did that because Timberlake did a song with Snoop Dogg, which does not mean he's "ghetto".

I know. I lost all respect for Snoop when he worked with that freak of nature. :P

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/29/05 at 12:05 pm

I know. I lost all respect for Snoop when he worked with that freak of nature. :P

lol

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/29/05 at 1:24 pm

i hope rap never dies. you can't have a rebellion without something to rebel against.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/29/05 at 1:31 pm

As long as Ebonics stays around ::) :P

Written By: AL-B on 03/29/05 at 2:26 pm

The "ghetto era" will end when poverty is completely eradicated from this country.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/29/05 at 5:51 pm

The "ghetto era" will end when poverty is completely eradicated from this country.

When I was a kid way back when, I had a "ghetto pass" before that term even came into vogue.

At the time I did not understand why my buddies were amazed that me and my brothers could go up to the projects and see friends without getting beaten up.  But my Mom and Grandmother were well-known up there and so we were always welcomed.

But 40 years later... not any more.  :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/05 at 6:21 pm

When I was a kid way back when, I had a "ghetto pass" before that term even came into vogue.

At the time I did not understand why my buddies were amazed that me and my brothers could go up to the projects and see friends without getting beaten up.  But my Mom and Grandmother were well-known up there and so we were always welcomed.

But 40 years later... not any more.  :\'(

The funny thing is that those who think they have it, don't!  :P

As long as Ebonics stays around ::) :P

I guess as long as we have trailer parks, wife beaters (the shirts and the men), beer and pickups, country will still be around!  ;D

Tanya

Subject: Re: When Will The "Ghetto Era" End?

Written By: Kyle on 03/29/05 at 6:55 pm

When will that happen?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/29/05 at 7:46 pm

When will that happen?

As long as a Republican or Democrat is in power, the year Two Thousand and Never.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/05 at 7:49 pm

As long as a Republican or Democrat is in power, the year Two Thousand and Never.

Here, here!

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 7:51 pm

I guess as long as we have trailer parks, wife beaters (the shirts and the men), beer and pickups, country will still be around! ;D

Tanya

Yeah but those things aren't taking over pop culture. The only "redneck" culture that I see in the mainstream is those Blue Collar Comedy guys, and they avoid the negative stuff like racism. Most of the rappers do not avoid the negative stereotypes about life in the ghetto.

If I was black I'd feel ashamed over that stuff.

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 9:14 pm

When will this ever end?  >:(  Ever since the late '90s, people were chomping their cigarretes, swear words came into the mainstreams, and rap music killed off almost every other genre of music expect for pop-punk and some teen pop.   Where are the good artists such as *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, (they may be coming back this year?  :)), Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and Will Smith.  All has been eaten up by 50 Cent, The Game, Snoop Dogg, Lil' John, Baby Bash, Justin Timberlake, Green Day, the Killers, and those RapMetal artists.  :P  I say about 2012.  When do you think?

the "ghetto" Era will end when "i'm a slut/whore who has to have my tits falling out in order to be considered good" Era is over..which will never be so sucks for you buddy  :D

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 9:16 pm

the "ghetto" Era will end when "i'm a slut/whore who has to have my tits falling out in order to be considered good" Era is over..which will never be so sucks for you buddy  :D

It's their choice(to show cleavage).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/29/05 at 9:19 pm

"Singing" about killing cops...beating women and "Blowing" your nose has absolutely NOTHING to do with politics ::)

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 9:19 pm

It's their choice(to show cleavage).

yeah and its the peoples choice to use obsceneity in their music...whats your point? and also I'm not really complaining I'm just staing a fact....I mean we all love boobage right?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:20 pm

yeah and its the peoples choice to use obsceneity in their music...whats your point? and also I'm not really complaining I'm just staing a fact....I mean we all love boobage right?

I certainly do. I don't see anything inherantly wrong with obscenities in music either. Its just that when they are overused they become cheesy and annoying. One of the greatest rock songs ever recorded, "The End" by the Doors, makes clear use of the "f word".

"F--- me baby!"(repeated about a dozen times lol)

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 10:22 pm

I certainly do. I don't see anything inherantly wrong with obscenities in music either. Its just that when they are overused they become cheesy and annoying. One of the greatest rock songs ever recorded, "The End" by the Doors, makes clear use of the "f word".

"F--- me baby!"(repeated about a dozen times lol)

I know the same with boobs its gets annoying aftwer awhile also..everything gets annoying no matter what....

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:27 pm

I know the same with boobs its gets annoying aftwer awhile also..everything gets annoying no matter what....

Boobs never get annoying to me. ;D  :D

And I dunno, we better cut out the boob top. Chuck has been cracking down on this sort of thing as of late.

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 10:29 pm

And I dunno, we better cut out the boob top. Chuck has been cracking down on this sort of thing as of late.

yeah I know enough about boobs :(  I wish I had boobs...but I'm not goinbg to feel bad most of todays boobage is fake anyways :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:32 pm

yeah I know enough about boobs :( I wish I had boobs...but I'm not goinbg to feel bad most of todays boobage is fake anyways :)

Did you have them removed or something? ???

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 10:37 pm

yeah I did......lol no I have boobs just not nice ones in my opinion thats why I"M going to get a boob job too! yay for plastic surgery!

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:38 pm

yeah I did......lol no I have boobs just not nice ones in my opinion thats why I"M going to get a boob job too! yay for plastic surgery!

If its safe and its what you want, go for it. :)

Written By: Alicia on 03/29/05 at 10:41 pm

If its safe and its what you want, go for it. :)

yeah It might be I dunno...dont really care....I have nothing to lose anyways

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:42 pm

Good luck. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/30/05 at 6:35 am

Are you going to get those double-sized implants put in like Anna Nicole Smith did ?  ???

Written By: Alicia on 03/30/05 at 11:23 am

Are you going to get those double-sized implants put in like Anna Nicole Smith did ?  ???

not THAT big lol

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/30/05 at 11:44 am

^^^ LOL. ^^^

Anyway, I don't quite agree with Kyle's assessment of what's Ghetto and what's not. For example, he says N'Sync, BSB, Hilary Duff and the like are 'good old artists,' but then goes on to claim they've been taken up by rap metal artists (rap/metal died in like 2002, dude. Traces of it are still around, but I think Limp Bizkit's heyday is over!) and Green Day & the Killers. Heck, Green Day has been popular since '94, and the Killers are like an 80's influenced pop/punk/indie band, so he's got it backwards in some ways, imho.

I do agree with what he said in the first few sentences, though. I'd identify the "Ghetto era" as any time since it's been cool to blare the bass-pumping gangsta rap and sing about "hos" and "pimps" and "Drive-by's". That's been since around 1993.

However, I do think it's heyday is slightly going down, but it's not gone. 1993-2001 was probably the biggest years (it's a 90's thing to me), but 2002 to now, it's gone down a little. I'd say it'll end in about 2010-15, when the original generation of "gangsta"s are 20 years older and start becoming the mainstream. By virtue of age alone, it will be seen as uncool.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/30/05 at 2:35 pm

^^^ LOL. ^^^

Anyway, I don't quite agree with Kyle's assessment of what's Ghetto and what's not. For example, he says N'Sync, BSB, Hilary Duff and the like are 'good old artists,' but then goes on to claim they've been taken up by rap metal artists (rap/metal died in like 2002, dude. Traces of it are still around, but I think Limp Bizkit's heyday is over!) and Green Day & the Killers. Heck, Green Day has been popular since '94, and the Killers are like an 80's influenced pop/punk/indie band, so he's got it backwards in some ways, imho.

I do agree with what he said in the first few sentences, though. I'd identify the "Ghetto era" as any time since it's been cool to blare the bass-pumping gangsta rap and sing about "hos" and "pimps" and "Drive-by's". That's been since around 1993.

However, I do think it's heyday is slightly going down, but it's not gone. 1993-2001 was probably the biggest years (it's a 90's thing to me), but 2002 to now, it's gone down a little. I'd say it'll end in about 2010-15, when the original generation of "gangsta"s are 20 years older and start becoming the mainstream. By virtue of age alone, it will be seen as uncool.

maybe by 2010...cuz as you know.."history has its way of repating itself"...so yeah just like all the other decade ...ghetto music should be dont by 2010...then will new genre of music will take over from 2010-2020...its jsut a matter of time...id say punk rocjk..is on the rise though...and maybe other  old music aswell 70's & 80's...more poepl seem to listne to oldies now...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/30/05 at 5:19 pm

I'd hate/love to see what the next popular style of music will be...  :o

Written By: Kyle on 03/30/05 at 7:03 pm

Maybe we'll have everybody vote for Ralph Nader; then the ghetto era will be last weeks kitty box.  ; :)

Written By: Kyle on 03/30/05 at 7:08 pm

And please don't forget those "ghetto" and redneck ladies who nearly show off their whole a**. I hope I don't see thongless a**es on TV pretty soon.  :P  Actuallly, these girls look pretty good without any thongs!  ;D :-*

Written By: Johnny Vega on 03/30/05 at 7:22 pm

The Ghetto Era, an interesting way to put it... Most rappers can only imagine what living in the ghetto is like and what they tel you in interviews are stories that they heard from the "'hood"... It will never end, because like it or not, and I actually do like it, rap and r&b will always be around, I can't say the same for hip-hop, it's like new jack swing, just living a little bit longer then it should've. Nas needs to step up his game, he did great on Street's Disciple, but it wasn't up to par with Illmatic or even Stillmatic :o and Pharrell should stay in the booth, I don't need to see a fugly guy who produces on the track make a cameo or even worse, try to spit out a few "verses", like P. Diddy did and still does on occasion.... I would like to see techno emerge as the dominant music genre, but so long as people are enamored by "Fiddy" and his G-Unit boy band, expect more senseless songs and half-naked women.

Money makes you or breaks you

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/30/05 at 8:10 pm

Most rappers can only imagine what living in the ghetto is like and what they tel you in interviews are stories that they heard from the "'hood.

Quite interesting being that most of them were raised in the environment.

Tanya

Written By: Johnny Vega on 03/30/05 at 8:36 pm

They could have grown up "near" it, but being near it and in the actual ghetto are two completely different things. They also glamorize "ghetto life" and give people this impression that by rapping, you can get out of the ghetto, so in order to be "successful", you have to rap or play basketball, I don't know, when the children are being taught that these are the "ideal" jobs, no wonder why there's a major shortage of African-Americans in the medical and legal professions...

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/12/06 at 3:43 am

When will this ever end?  >:(  Ever since the late '90s, people were chomping their cigarretes, swear words came into the mainstreams, and rap music killed off almost every other genre of music expect for pop-punk and some teen pop.  Where are the good artists such as *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, (they may be coming back this year?  :)), Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and Will Smith.  All has been eaten up by 50 Cent, The Game, Snoop Dogg, Lil' John, Baby Bash, Justin Timberlake, Green Day, the Killers, and those RapMetal artists.  :P  I say about 2012.  When do you think?

Up yo ass! Where they belong!  ;D

Written By: packerhawk24 on 08/12/06 at 1:10 pm

Amen....as long as the Republicrats are still in power, the gap between rich and poor will keep growing in the US. Anything glorifying good looks, hedonism, consumption and an easy life will be sought out by people as their own lifestyle continues to decline. Glam-rap, like reality TV, is here to stay.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/12/06 at 10:28 pm

I know this is an ancient post, but this is funny.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...