inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blaxploitation in the 2000s

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/01/05 at 1:41 pm

Remember Shaft, Sanford & Son, The Jeffersons, Eddie Murphy, etc...?  Sure, we all, or most of us do.  All those old shows and movies to depict that even black people have what it takes to be on TV.  Now I'm not dogging black people because I am, in fact, part black myself.  So don't give me any hate posts because of what I say.  Anyways, back to my topic...  Back in the 1970s, black films and TV shows got recognized by loads of urban, inner-city blacks, and even a few white people.  Well thirty years later, it's still going strong with hip hop music being the mecca of all blaxploitation.  Back then, for me, blaxploitation was a tool to lash out at the white man with very racy and controversal post-civil rights era and slavery issues.  Black entertainers were NOT  butlers, maids, cooks or any other lower form of actors.  Since then it seems that blacks in film, music, and others have got the world sewed up and has turned their brand of entertainment into a major enterprise...a corperation even.  Now all we have to do is get a black man to run for and win the presidency and we'll be the coolest damn nation in the entire world.  I figured, we deserve it because of the past 460 years of oppression and slavery.  But sometimes I feel that blaxploitation has gone a bit too far.  Too many rappers are doing really bad movies and we're losing alot of good talent because alot of black entertainers are too wrapped up in the money and not using their talent for the real reasons.  As far as rap/hip hop goes, it ain't like it used to be like it is now.  Now I can't stand it, as I used to live for it.  I fear that when the older and real black actors and musicians move on into the light we will be stuck with others that try to immitate.  C'mon, you can't compair to Morgan Freeman, Denzel, Tupac, maybe Will Smith.....he's not my perfered favourite.  Anyways blaxploitation has become a mighty big influence on everyone, not just youth and young adults.  But it's quite funny to hear an elderly white person say "it's all good", or "fo' shizzle".  All in all, I have alot of respect for blaxploitation in the 1970s because black people made it for.....well........blacks.  Now it's so commercialized and as in one of Dave Chappelle's episodes, "Ask Paul Mooney", white producers and entertainers alike are cashing in on our catch phrases, songs, movies, TV shows, and most of all..........clothes baby, clothes!  Damn I love Chappelle's Show!  People like that know how to keep it real and still make all people, not just blacks, roll out their seats.  Look at Eddie Murphy.  I don't like him anymore because he sold out to the commercialized industry.  Remember when he used to swear alot and he was one of the most raciest entertainers back in the day?  Now he's doing kids movies...good god man!  Now I'm not trying to p!ss anyone off because I sort of have a right to say what I want and I can sort of get away with it because I'm mixed between the two races.  Anyways, I might have things mixed up here, only because I just woke up after a dream I had that had something to do with this topic.  So I just want to know what you, the readers think.  I love that word......BLAXPLOITATION! 8) 

Subject: Re: Blaxploitation in the 2000s

Written By: DevoRule on 04/04/05 at 9:58 pm

Remember Shaft, Sanford & Son, The Jeffersons, Eddie Murphy, etc...?  Sure, we all, or most of us do.  All those old shows and movies to depict that even black people have what it takes to be on TV.  Now I'm not dogging black people because I am, in fact, part black myself.  So don't give me any hate posts because of what I say.  Anyways, back to my topic...  Back in the 1970s, black films and TV shows got recognized by loads of urban, inner-city blacks, and even a few white people.  Well thirty years later, it's still going strong with hip hop music being the mecca of all blaxploitation.  Back then, for me, blaxploitation was a tool to lash out at the white man with very racy and controversal post-civil rights era and slavery issues.  Black entertainers were NOT  butlers, maids, cooks or any other lower form of actors.  Since then it seems that blacks in film, music, and others have got the world sewed up and has turned their brand of entertainment into a major enterprise...a corperation even.  Now all we have to do is get a black man to run for and win the presidency and we'll be the coolest darn nation in the entire world.  I figured, we deserve it because of the past 460 years of oppression and slavery.  But sometimes I feel that blaxploitation has gone a bit too far.  Too many rappers are doing really bad movies and we're losing alot of good talent because alot of black entertainers are too wrapped up in the money and not using their talent for the real reasons.  As far as rap/hip hop goes, it ain't like it used to be like it is now.  Now I can't stand it, as I used to live for it.  I fear that when the older and real black actors and musicians move on into the light we will be stuck with others that try to immitate.  C'mon, you can't compair to Morgan Freeman, Denzel, Tupac, maybe Will Smith.....he's not my perfered favourite.  Anyways blaxploitation has become a mighty big influence on everyone, not just youth and young adults.  But it's quite funny to hear an elderly white person say "it's all good", or "fo' shizzle".  All in all, I have alot of respect for blaxploitation in the 1970s because black people made it for.....well........blacks.  Now it's so commercialized and as in one of Dave Chappelle's episodes, "Ask Paul Mooney", white producers and entertainers alike are cashing in on our catch phrases, songs, movies, TV shows, and most of all..........clothes baby, clothes!  darn I love Chappelle's Show!  People like that know how to keep it real and still make all people, not just blacks, roll out their seats.  Look at Eddie Murphy.  I don't like him anymore because he sold out to the commercialized industry.  Remember when he used to swear alot and he was one of the most raciest entertainers back in the day?  Now he's doing kids movies...good god man!  Now I'm not trying to p!ss anyone off because I sort of have a right to say what I want and I can sort of get away with it because I'm mixed between the two races.  Anyways, I might have things mixed up here, only because I just woke up after a dream I had that had something to do with this topic.  So I just want to know what you, the readers think.  I love that word......BLAXPLOITATION! 8) 

Ever since 2000 or so it's been bling this, East Coast, West Coast player, and a token black guy in EVERY MOVIE. It's definitely overkill and the kids of the 2020s will laugh at it.

Check for new replies or respond here...