inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Blockbuster laying off people.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/01/05 at 5:37 pm

April 1, 2005

Dallas (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc., the nation's largest movie-rental chain, plans to lay off up to 20 percent of its headquarters staff, company officials said.

The number of jobs to be eliminated will be 200 to 300, including open positions that won't be filled, company spokeswoman Karen Raskopf said Thursday. She said the reduction should conclude by the end of April.

The cuts are designed to help offset an incremental $70 million that the company said it would spend this year on Blockbuster Online.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/233537-5011-223.html

Subject: Re: Blockbuster laying off people.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/01/05 at 5:39 pm

I knew the "no late fees" policy would be a dumb idea, altough I am aware that other circumstances also played a role in this latest move. :(
April 1, 2005

Dallas (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc., the nation's largest movie-rental chain, plans to lay off up to 20 percent of its headquarters staff, company officials said.

The number of jobs to be eliminated will be 200 to 300, including open positions that won't be filled, company spokeswoman Karen Raskopf said Thursday. She said the reduction should conclude by the end of April.

The cuts are designed to help offset an incremental $70 million that the company said it would spend this year on Blockbuster Online.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/233537-5011-223.html

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/05 at 10:19 pm

i know that around where i live...there are too many other video stores that offer a great deal better "perks" than Blockbuster does. I usually go to Family Video...where you can rent a new release for 2 bucks and a nearly new one for a dollar...ya can't beat that!

Erin :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/02/05 at 8:24 am

I know a better deal: checking DVDs out of the library for free. That is unless you're weary of unlimited people views these over and over again.
i know that around where i live...there are too many other video stores that offer a great deal better "perks" than Blockbuster does. I usually go to Family Video...where you can rent a new release for 2 bucks and a nearly new one for a dollar...ya can't beat that!

Written By: zcrito on 04/02/05 at 11:44 am

Blockbuster always had a good selection but companies like Netflix.com have proabably been hurting them the past couple of years.

http://www.netflix.com/Default

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/05 at 1:12 pm

we have digital cable on our TV....and we can just order movies from there too..and a lot of them are even free

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/02/05 at 1:20 pm

Blockbuster always had a good selection but companies like Netflix.com have proabably been hurting them the past couple of years.

http://www.netflix.com/Default

Netflix is good BUT they never send the special features disc with your movie. IF your movie is 2+ discs they will send you one part at a time.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/02/05 at 1:25 pm

we have digital cable on our TV....and we can just order movies from there too..and a lot of them are even free

Do you have comcast or Time Warner?

I noticed that comcast has(in additon to the premiums) Nick, Discovery, A&E, MTV, and VH1 on demand. Time Warner only has A&E, CNN, FOOD, AOLMusic, HGTV and GOLF(!) on demand. Who watches the golf channel on demand?! I think TIme Warner should replace Golf with Nick or Discovery, that would be great.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/05 at 8:34 pm

we have comcast.....and i really like it because they have lots of free movies......and cheap ones to rent...plus a lot of really neato channels.

Written By: 90s boy on 04/03/05 at 10:11 pm

i see bankruptcy for them thell end up in the retail grave yard with stores like CALDOR MONTGOMERY WARD SERVICE MERCHANDISE AMES BRADLEES GRAND UNION JAMESWAY JEFFERSON WARD ZAYRE LECHMERE DISCOVER ZONE KIDS R US ETC

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/03/05 at 10:12 pm

Hastings is better.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/03/05 at 10:13 pm

And the idea of ordering movies online to rent doesn't appeal to me.

Written By: zcrito on 04/03/05 at 11:09 pm

You obviously haven't seen the selection at my local library.....slim pickins :(

Just, Slim Pickins?
That's not bad. There's always Dr.Stranglelove and Blazing Saddles.

No wait! That's Slim Pickens. Nevermind.  :-[

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/05 at 11:34 pm

Just, Slim Pickins?

No wait! That's Slim Pickens. Nevermind.  :-[

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/05 at 2:58 am

Just, Slim Pickins?

No wait! That's Slim Pickens. Nevermind.  :-http://www.spoothe.com/2001/art/slim_pickens_bomb.jpg
"We didn't come all this way just to dump this thing in the drink!"

Anyway, as online services such as Netflix expand and improve the bricks-and-mortar video store may be an endangered species.  Blockbuster blows anyway.  Unfortunately, it's always the working man who takes it in the shorts loooong before the bosses!

Check for new replies or respond here...