inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: BREAKING NEWS: Pope John Paul II has died

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/05 at 2:01 pm

On CNN right now. It appears to be official this time. RIP Pope John Paul. He was a great man. Vatican announces that he died at 9:37 PM (2:37 EST).

Subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Pope John Paul II has died

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 2:02 pm

On CNN right now. It appears to be official this time. RIP Pope John Paul. He was a great man.
So sad, especially if you have even been close to him.

RIP

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/02/05 at 2:04 pm

I'll never forget his visit to Denver :\'(

Written By: jiminy on 04/02/05 at 2:11 pm

is he really dead this time? I've heard he has died at least five times...RIP

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/05 at 2:15 pm

Yes the Vatican has confirmed it this time.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/02/05 at 2:17 pm

Fox news is confirming it as well, as did the Vatican.  The Pope's personal doctor has certified his death.

http://www.drudgereport.com

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/02/05 at 2:28 pm

It is indeed a sad day :\'( , but it is also a time for celebration of a life extraordinarily well lived.  :)

I remember Pope John Paul as a stong, vibrant man who had the courage and the stamina to face down the communist regimes, and in doing so he became the spiritual core of the peaceful revolution that destroyed the menace of communist totalitarianism in Central Europe.

When the dictators sent an agent to assasinate him, John Paul recovered.  And he later came to visit the would-be assasin and sincerely forgave him for his transgression.

John Paul was the first Pope to visit a Mosque or a Synagogue.

Karol Joseph Wojtyla, Rest in Peace.  You did it right.  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/02/05 at 2:32 pm

A very sad farewell indeed. Although it was expected, it still tragic. RIP Pope John Paul II.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 04/02/05 at 2:33 pm

Karol Joseph Wojtyla, Rest in Peace.  You did it right.   :)

No kidding.  What a way to die in dignity and respect.  What a great man.

Written By: gemini61 on 04/02/05 at 3:38 pm

Rest In Peace  :\'( 

Written By: Paul on 04/02/05 at 4:32 pm

Religion's not my thing, but I am at least glad that the man's suffering is over...

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/02/05 at 5:47 pm

I know. I found out 6 minutes after his death was announced on Yahoo news. I think I posted it in the thread "Where were you when..."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/05 at 6:20 pm

Where was I?  I was probably in the production studio mixing my radio program.  When I turned on the radio driving back into town at about 5:30 ET I heard the commentators discussing Pope John Paul in the past tense on the BBC.
:\'(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/02/05 at 9:35 pm

Read this this morning. Very sad, although not unexpected.  :\'(

Although I never agreed with most of his views or the Catholic Church, I have to say the world has lost a great man.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/05 at 1:53 am

Now, the Vatican City and no doubt the rest of the world, sees an offical nine days of mourning.

Written By: AL-B on 04/03/05 at 5:00 am

My parents took my family to see Pope John Paul II when he came to Des Moines, IA in 1979. There had to have been at least 250,000 people there. Honestly I don't remember much of what he said, since I was only 8 years old and didn't fully grasp the importance of what I was seeing, but when I first heard the news that his condition had worsened and that he was probably nearing the end, I remembered that crowd back in Des Moines chanting, "Long live the Pope!"
    Although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I too believe that we have lost a truly great man who used his position to try and make the world a better place. The next pope has some giant shoes to fill.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/03/05 at 9:53 am

The fact that there have been reports of Muslim Clerics praying for him tells me he was very well respected by all religious individuals.

Full of Grace, Dignity and Respect to all until the end. A Great Man.

Written By: Marian on 04/03/05 at 3:45 pm

:DI was born into a catholic family and although I don't agree with everything the church does,it is part of my heritage and the Pope,being Polish,was also very great to many of us.He became a priest under the threat of the nazis,and also inspired the fall f the iron Curtain.I wouldn't expect there to be a pope like him.

Written By: Kyle on 04/09/05 at 7:10 pm

:D

Right now, he is already dead, after 5 attempts.  Maybe you can just, like, hit 'em in the head with a sledgehammer to make sure he's really dead.  Who knows, this might be another rumor, like Britney Spears is pregant, and she's HOT, man! 

Check for new replies or respond here...