inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Biggest band right now

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 8:34 pm

I'd say Green Day or 50 Cent.

Subject: Re: Biggest band right now

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/05/05 at 8:36 pm

I'd say Green Day or 50 Cent.

Does 50 cent really count as a band? lol.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/05/05 at 9:10 pm

Foghat!

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/05 at 9:12 pm

Green Day

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/05/05 at 9:16 pm

I'll say Green Day in terms of top 40 music, they are topping the charts now.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/05/05 at 9:16 pm

D@mn, Green Day can't stay away, eh?  Those guys ripped sh!t up 11 years ago.  Their comeback 8 years ago was cool, but not the best.  Now there back......hell yeah 8)

Written By: DeutscherGirl on 04/05/05 at 9:24 pm

Even though I'm not very into whats going on with todays music, I do pay attention to my old favourites that come back....

Green Day definitely. They were awesome when I first heard them 11 years ago, and whenever I hear them today, whether it be "Basket Case" or "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", it is still very refreshing to hear them break the monotony of today's "music".

Blondie

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 11:16 pm

Does 50 cent really count as a band? lol.

50 Cent's good, it's G(ay) Unit I don't like.  ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/05/05 at 11:39 pm

50 Cent's good, it's G(ay) Unit I don't like.  ::)

Well I guess compared to the current rap artists out there, 50 cent is good.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/06/05 at 12:05 am

50cent is a band now, is he??  :D Yeah the age of the supergroup has long passed, replaced by a steady stream of dim flames who burn out as they are getting known. I'd say Greenday would be a good bet. Although U2 is possibly the once biggest band still actively recording (though not in their peak). I don't think you could really count faded groups like the Rolling Stones, ACDC however.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/06/05 at 12:45 am

Although U2 is possibly the once biggest band still actively recording (though not in their peak).

The best group in the world!!!!!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/06/05 at 4:27 am

U2 and Green Day are doing quite well at the moment, and for good reason.

Written By: jiminy on 04/06/05 at 6:58 am

Dimmu Borgir
http://www.dimmu-borgir.com/

Written By: Kenlos on 04/06/05 at 10:10 am

Dimmu Borgir
http://www.dimmu-borgir.com/

haha, Dimmu Borgir I am sure over half the people on this board don't even know who Dimmu Borgir is.

But If you are talking about what bands are big here in the US right now then yeah probably Green Day right now, But world wide there are defiinitly other bands that could be added to that list.  Like in Europe especially over the fall bands like Nightwish (A gothic metal band from Finland) www.nightwish.com was tearing up the charts in just about every country over there, yet almost no one here in the US even knows who they are.

Written By: jiminy on 04/06/05 at 10:31 am

haha, Dimmu Borgir I am sure over half the people on this board don't even know who Dimmu Borgir is.

But If you are talking about what bands are big here in the US right now then yeah probably Green Day right now, But world wide there are defiinitly other bands that could be added to that list.  Like in Europe especially over the fall bands like Nightwish (A gothic metal band from Finland) www.nightwish.com was tearing up the charts in just about every country over there, yet almost no one here in the US even knows who they are.

keeping with Finland there is

Children of Bodom
http://www.cobhc.com/

HIM http://www.heartagram.com/

Written By: Kenlos on 04/06/05 at 10:39 am

keeping with Finland there is

Children of Bodom
http://www.cobhc.com/

HIM http://www.heartagram.com/

Most of todays better music in my opnion has been coming from bands that are from Europe.  Like for example another band I have been listening to lately is Within Temptation http://www.within-temptation.com/ from The Netherlands

Written By: the_omega on 04/06/05 at 12:25 pm

I think it all depends where you are, i cant say what the biggest band here because i dont liten to radio unles its internet radio and even then only van richter radio and i dont watch alot of music channels (they dont play what i like)

but the bands making the biggest noise from what i gather are
>:( Greenday  >:( over played to hell as far as i'm told, everyone i know complains that they are always on every hour or so on every vhannel/ radio station)

blink 182 still got a good hold down here aswel,l alot of followers, very big

Hmm i wonder why it is punk rock that has the hold on most people i personaly dont like most of it

Written By: DevoRule on 04/06/05 at 4:59 pm

I think it all depends where you are, i cant say what the biggest band here because i dont liten to radio unles its internet radio and even then only van richter radio and i dont watch alot of music channels (they dont play what i like)

but the bands making the biggest noise from what i gather are
>:( Greenday  >:( over played to hell as far as i'm told, everyone i know complains that they are always on every hour or so on every vhannel/ radio station)

blink 182 still got a good hold down here aswel,l alot of followers, very big

Hmm i wonder why it is punk rock that has the hold on most people i personaly dont like most of it

I'm not a fan of Punk myself.  Offspring, Blink and Green Day are the only exceptions, although hardcore punk fans would tell you the former two aren't real punk. 

Written By: DevoRule on 04/06/05 at 5:00 pm

50cent is a band now, is he??  :D Yeah the age of the supergroup has long passed, replaced by a steady stream of dim flames who burn out as they are getting known. I'd say Greenday would be a good bet. Although U2 is possibly the once biggest band still actively recording (though not in their peak). I don't think you could really count faded groups like the Rolling Stones, ACDC however.

U2 probably reached their peak around 1991 with Achtung Baby.  Metallica in 1991 too with the Black Album.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/06/05 at 5:10 pm

U2 is still a pretty good band.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/06/05 at 5:12 pm

U2 is still a pretty good band.

They're ok.  I personally think all their songs sound exactly the same as New Year's Day  ;D

Written By: Kyle on 04/06/05 at 6:54 pm

Green Day.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/06/05 at 7:06 pm

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir  ;D

No, I'd have to say Black-Eyed Peas or Usher right now.

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/07/05 at 11:16 pm

I'm not a fan of Punk myself.  Offspring, Blink and Green Day are the only exceptions, although hardcore punk fans would tell you the former two aren't real punk. 

Offspring isnt anywhere near punk...not good punk anyway....they boarder between neo-grunge and pop-punk.

Blink started punk...for one album...then they went crap, doing pop-punk garbage.,....their last album was more punkish, and better than their others...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 11:17 pm

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir  ;D

No, I'd have to say Black-Eyed Peas or Usher right now.

Yeah...

Written By: DevoRule on 04/08/05 at 12:49 am

Offspring isnt anywhere near punk...not good punk anyway....they boarder between neo-grunge and pop-punk.

Blink started punk...for one album...then they went crap, doing pop-punk garbage.,....their last album was more punkish, and better than their others...

Offspring aren't grungy or poppy.  Although I can see fans or either likng hem.  I agree with Blink 182 though.

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/08/05 at 12:59 am

Offspring aren't grungy or poppy.  Although I can see fans or either likng hem.  I agree with Blink 182 though.

egh, I dont have a better definition for Offspring then....I can't, in sane mind, call them punk

Written By: tv on 06/05/05 at 11:44 pm

Last year it was Green Day. This year its Nine Inch Nails. Nice too see the mid 90's bands come back a little bit anyway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/05 at 1:45 am

Cold Play
Green Day
Over-played
I don't care
Go away!
::)

Written By: jiminy on 06/06/05 at 9:57 am

Cold Play
Green Day
Over-played
I don't care
Go away!
::)

well said fred :D

Written By: goodsin on 06/07/05 at 1:53 am

Are The Zutons big anywhere other than the UK? Or Kaiser Chiefs? (Although neither of these bands I'd consider to be the 'biggest' band over here right now, they are the ones that seem to be making the most exciting new music on the 'real music' side of things.)

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/07/05 at 12:34 pm

Are The Zutons big anywhere other than the UK? Or Kaiser Chiefs? (Although neither of these bands I'd consider to be the 'biggest' band over here right now, they are the ones that seem to be making the most exciting new music on the 'real music' side of things.)

neither of them has caught on outside of the Indie scene here in the US....unfortunatly

Written By: limblifter on 06/07/05 at 12:56 pm

A band that are big here in Montreal, and starting to build up some momentum throughout Canada are The Arcade Fire. Not too sure if anyone outside of Canada has ever heard of them though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/05 at 1:51 pm

well said fred :D

I think that's Right Said Fred!
http://www.backstage7.de/band2/rightsaidfred/rightsaidfred.jpg

Written By: chaka on 06/07/05 at 2:17 pm

yes,yes I can see it coming:
oh god,not boring old COLDPLAY!

but YES!! Coldplay for me is the biggest band right now and I'm proud to say I love all there albums so there  :P
;)  ;D

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/08/05 at 12:39 pm

A band that are big here in Montreal, and starting to build up some momentum throughout Canada are The Arcade Fire. Not too sure if anyone outside of Canada has ever heard of them though.

I love the Arcade Fire....but once again, theyre only big in the Indie scene here

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/05 at 8:05 pm

For a while, here in Canada, it was Billy Talent.  I hate those guys.  LOL

Written By: Criz on 09/09/05 at 1:35 pm

There are quite a few big Indie bands here- I dont know why they don't seem to catch on in the US (apart from a few I've mentioned), some have already been mentioned but I'd say these lot are getting quite  alot of recognition:

Kaiser Chiefs *** 1/2
Bloc Party ** 1/2
Athlete *
Embrace  **
Hard-Fi  ****
Maximo Park ****
The Futureheads *****
Editors *****
the Departure ****
The Killers *****
The Ordinary Boys *****
Oasis *** (Thought they'd lost it up until they're latest song offering 'The Importance of Being Idle'
The Bravery *** 1/2
The White Stripes **
Idlewild ***** +
Greenday *****
Razorlight ***
Keane ****
Snow Patrol ****

Apart from those lot, I'd say the Scissor Sisters are huge! ***** :)

Written By: RGC3 on 09/09/05 at 6:43 pm

"Apart from those lot, I'd say the Scissor Sisters are huge! *****  :)"

Yeah, huge in the pants after staring at eachother... ::)

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/10/05 at 12:08 am

I don't know who Kaiser Chiefs are, but I've heard of a German singer from way back named Roland Kaiser!

Message to Whistledog:

Yes I hate Billy Talent too! And Simple Plan and Good Charlotte!

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/05 at 1:07 am

Message to Whistledog:

Yes I hate Billy Talent too! And Simple Plan and Good Charlotte!

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...