inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Live instruments vs. Electronic instruments

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/05/05 at 9:53 pm

I do alittle of both, so I'd go with the 3rd option.

Subject: Re: Live instruments vs. Electronic instruments

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/06/05 at 12:08 am

The day that ALL music is composed on the computer will be virtually the death of music. The live music scene is for me, the heart and soul of music - although thankfully that is extremely unlikely. I'm a bit ambigious on the topic, while computer music can provide interesting sound effects and is useful for sequencing, I much prefer music with 'real' instruments and real people singing. Can you imagine a computer releasing a top selling album?

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/06/05 at 12:42 am

The day that ALL music is composed on the computer will be virtually the death of music. The live music scene is for me, the heart and soul of music - although thankfully that is extremely unlikely. I'm a bit ambigious on the topic, while computer music can provide interesting sound effects and is useful for sequencing, I much prefer music with 'real' instruments and real people singing. Can you imagine a computer releasing a top selling album?

Unfurtunately.......yes. :-\\

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/06/05 at 7:59 am

all the music i listen to now is electronic but i don't see the end of live instruments anytime soon. playing an instrument is a challenging artform and people will always seek them out. besides, as long as other forms of music exists like classical or jazz, live instruments will always be around.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/06/05 at 3:20 pm

all the music i listen to now is electronic but i don't see the end of live instruments anytime soon. playing an instrument is a challenging artform and people will always seek them out. besides, as long as other forms of music exists like classical or jazz, live instruments will always be around.

Nicely said. 8)

Written By: DevoRule on 04/06/05 at 5:14 pm

Agreed.  I think if done right, synths sound better than anything else.  I don't like bassy stuff much though. 

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/07/05 at 11:22 pm

im currently taking a course about the history of Electronic music.  The professor of this course is none other than Herb Deutsch, the guy who helped Robert Moog invent the Moog Synthisizer. 

anyway, one thing Ive realized while taking this course, is that some of the most avant-guard music can be made on electronic instruments, whether that be a mini-moog, a therimin, a hammond organ, or a ondes martenot.  Electronic instruments, when used correctly, can create some of the best sounding music Ive heard, but of course, this is no swip at live instrumentation, nothign can beat them.  THey can work together. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 11:30 pm

I've tried listening to some electronica, and it just sounds like the same line repeated 1000 times during the whole song. It gets very irritating after a while. (with the exception of a few decent electronica artists) I reckon electronic music belongs in the club, not on the radio.

Edit: I'm thinking more techno than electronic.

Written By: Powerslave on 04/08/05 at 2:03 am

Techno is only one type of electronic music.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/08/05 at 3:45 am

im currently taking a course about the history of Electronic music.  The professor of this course is none other than Herb Deutsch, the guy who helped Robert Moog invent the Moog Synthisizer. 

anyway, one thing Ive realized while taking this course, is that some of the most avant-guard music can be made on electronic instruments, whether that be a mini-moog, a therimin, a hammond organ, or a ondes martenot.  Electronic instruments, when used correctly, can create some of the best sounding music Ive heard, but of course, this is no swip at live instrumentation, nothign can beat them.  THey can work together. 

Very well put my man.  I think both can do some major good together.  I love taking the Rhodes keyboard and working it over with electronics to get some crazy synth sounds.  At the same time, making it sound organic.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/08/05 at 4:32 am

I've tried listening to some electronica, and it just sounds like the same line repeated 1000 times during the whole song. It gets very irritating after a while. (with the exception of a few decent electronica artists) I reckon electronic music belongs in the club, not on the radio.

Your thinking is with good intention.  I also thank you you for being honest and making some exceptions  about decent electronic artists.  I agree, most "techno" IS repetative and keeps going on and on and on.  But that's just it....it's a total club sound for a club environment.  Some, if not most people know that techno/dance came out of the disco era.  As in todays dance music, there's very heavy disco influence that is in fact...looped to no end.  That's how it was designed.  Since about 1996 techno was getting old and was in desparate need of a new name for itself.  Around that time, people were getting sick of hearing the likes of 2 Unlimited and Technotronic type sounds.  The evolution continues with more bolder and newer sounds and even lyrics.  As early as 1992 the underground artists tried so hard NOT to let techno become commercialized.  Slowly, techno evolved into a sub-genre of the recently coined "Electronica".  1989-1992 would fall into Techno today, well at least for me.  You have many different catagories in the techno to electronica transition.  This is how they go:
1974-1977~live disco(bands)--------------------------------------------
1977-1982~synth disco(programmed)
1982-1988~synth pop(Euro-pop)
1984-       ~break beats
1985-       ~house
1986-       ~Chicago house
1989-1992~techno---------------------------------------------------------
1992-       ~jungle                                                   
1992-       ~hardcore                                             
1993-       ~French house
1993-       ~trance                                                 
1994-       ~drum and bass                                       
1994-       ~happy hardcore                                   
1995-       ~NRG                                                     
1996-       ~filtered house, funky house, pre-hard house------------   
1996-1999~speed garage                                         
1997-2000~2-step garage                                         
1997-2002~hard house
1998-       ~progressive house
1999-       ~break house
2000-2005~A whole melting pot of many different styles and sub-genres.

There's more than what I mentioned, but for the sake of NOT boring people....I'll refrain.
I grew up listening to this music.  I will be faithful to it and cherish this music that is, yes constant, repetative, loopy, and even annoying.  It's cool though.  I just like bringing something new, or different to the table of opinions and theories.  Whew..... 8)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/08/05 at 8:45 am

for the most part i don't listen to a lot of mainstream techno. i listen to EBM, industrial dance and synth pop.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/08/05 at 9:57 am

for the most part i don't listen to a lot of mainstream techno. i listen to EBM, industrial dance and synth pop.

I knew I forgot something........thank you for naming "industrial". 
I'm starting to get into synth pop, but not too hard.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/08/05 at 10:08 am

Techno is only one type of electronic music.

Okay, no it's not...I mean, it IS, but not the only music that's electronic What is most pop music made with?  What about hip hop, what was it made with?  Certainly not trumpets and snare drums.  Sorry I didn't clarify enough, but I'm talking about any type of music, not just techno/electronica. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/08/05 at 5:48 pm

I KNOW many bands where synthesizers AND live instruments have helped create some pretty AWESOME music...

Yes.. Emerson, Lake and Palmer...Pink Floyd...Genesis...Styx..just to name a few.

Dance stuff...Billy Preston had some really cool songs like "Outa Space"and "Will It Go Round in Circles"

as for modern electronic stuff...Depeche Mode is always cool.

anyone remember Walter(his THEN name)Carlos and "Switched-On Bach"?

Written By: AL-B on 04/08/05 at 6:13 pm

One of my favorite albums, "Who's Next" by the Who (1971), was one of the first really major albums to extensively use synthesizers.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/08/05 at 8:44 pm

Even though electronic instruments can make some pretty cool sound effects, nothing will ever be as great as seeing a live band with live instruments. That's why I have an appreciation for "The Roots".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/05 at 11:40 pm

One who truly loves music would not want to see either old technology or new technology obviate one or the other.

I see those who are still dismissive of electronic instruments to be prejudiced in favor of the a rigid opinion of music, whereas technofiles who say the orchestra is outmoded lack appreciation of "conventional" instruments and music.

I always say the best kind of music to be into is ALL kinds of music!  Great music is great music whether you're using computers or a couple of spoons a hollow log!
:)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/09/05 at 2:55 am

Even though electronic instruments can make some pretty cool sound effects, nothing will ever be as great as seeing a live band with live instruments. That's why I have an appreciation for "The Roots".

I agree.  I love The Roots!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/09/05 at 3:52 am

The first band I ever heard of that used synthesizers as a HUGE part of their sound was Emerson,Lake,and Palmer...."Lucky Man" really was one of the coolest songs of the early 70's..

Back then synthesizers were way different....all those huge boxes with numerous dials and wires plugged in EVERYWHERE....until the mini-Moog was created....which simplified things a LOT!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 4:06 am

The first band I ever heard of that used synthesizers as a HUGE part of their sound was Emerson,Lake,and Palmer...."Lucky Man" really was one of the coolest songs of the early 70's..

Back then synthesizers were way different....all those huge boxes with numerous dials and wires plugged in EVERYWHERE....until the mini-Moog was created....which simplified things a LOT!

The earlier generation of synthesizers didn't even have a keyboard, you were using info cards, switches, and wires you could program with a prmitive computer.  Peter Schickle (PDQ Bach) tells a story of waiting for 1/2 and hour at the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center while Milton Babbitt demonstrated the synthesis of a C-tone!  A few e-music pioneers such as
Ten years later the biggest thing in electronic music was the $100,000 Fairlight CMI computer.  Now you can downoad all that stuff onto any PC!

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/09/05 at 1:49 pm

I love synthesizers.  But most of all I love the Rhodes.  That is the best sound I've ever heard.  I have alot of live bands from the late 60s and 70s with that beautiful sound of the Rhodes keyboard.  One of my favourites is "Red Clay" by Freddie Hubbard(1970).  One of the best underground Avant Garde/Fussion jazz artists of his time.  Check it out sometime if you're into some spine tingling sounds. 8)

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/09/05 at 8:58 pm

The earlier generation of synthesizers didn't even have a keyboard, you were using info cards, switches, and wires you could program with a prmitive computer.  Peter Schickle (PDQ Bach) tells a story of waiting for 1/2 and hour at the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center while Milton Babbitt demonstrated the synthesis of a C-tone!  A few e-music pioneers such as
Ten years later the biggest thing in electronic music was the $100,000 Fairlight CMI computer.  Now you can downoad all that stuff onto any PC!

synthasizers first got a keyboard with the Moog in 1964.  It was put on at the request of Herb Deutsch (gee, I mentioned his name earlier lol).  THe first non-modular synthasizer was the mini-moog in 1968.  THats without all those wires and patch cables. 

Buchla still makes music boxes modular and without keyboards though. 

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/09/05 at 8:59 pm

anyone remember Walter(his THEN name)Carlos and "Switched-On Bach"?

or his/her's (walter and Wendy Carlos are the same person) later soundtrack to "A clockwork orange"?

Check for new replies or respond here...