inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Velvet Revolver or Audioslve

Written By: woops on 04/06/05 at 11:49 pm

Gotta be Velvet Revolver (3/5 Guns N' Roses with Scott Weiland of STP)  8)

Their album Contraband" ROCK!!!

Audioslave is OK, though "Like A Stone" is a  decent song.

Subject: Re: Velvet Revolver or Audioslve

Written By: Powerslave on 04/07/05 at 12:18 am

Contraband was one of the most over-rated albums of 2004. Soul-less, bland production and ordinary songs. The Audioslave album was great, mostly because Chris Cornell could sing the phone book and it would sound awesome. :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 2:26 am

Velvet Revolver, mainly cause I was/am a huge fan of Stone Temple Pilots.

Both of them are very good though (as far as today's music is concerned). Tough choice.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/07/05 at 9:11 am

I actually purchased 'Contraband' (I don't usually 'buy' CD's) i think i took it back after 3 days.

What a piece of crap.

It was exceptionally samey and dull.

Audioslave gets one thumb up, they aren't bad..

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/07/05 at 11:11 pm

Velvet Revolver is a poor excuse for a supergroup.  Their music has no substance, and reminds me of a combination of GNR's worst moments with Slash's snakepits' best (which arent many)

Audioslave isnt much better.  They are just another band on the neo-grunge bandwagon.  THe only difference between Audioslave and Saliva though, is that Audioslaves music is better.  Its rooted more in original grunge, than neo-grunge (probably because of grunge legend Chris Cornell, and also RATM always had a little grunge in them)...Audioslave is better, but not by much.....

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 11:15 pm

They will never be as good as the Rolling Stones

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/08/05 at 9:55 am

Audioslave! Cris Cornell from Soundgarden....can't go  wrong there.

At least Velvet Revolver didn't bring along that jerk, macho pig, girl beater Axl  :P

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/09/05 at 9:14 pm

At least Velvet Revolver didn't bring along that jerk, macho pig, girl beater Axl  :P

yeah, but with not bringing along Axl, they also didnt bring along most of the reasons GNR were good

Written By: Everlong on 04/11/05 at 12:59 am

Neither.  Ugh, I've seen Velvet Revolver on Leno twice, and their lead singer is AWFUL.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/11/05 at 1:02 am

Velvet Revolver suck live  >:(

Written By: jackas on 04/11/05 at 2:19 am

Contraband was one of the most over-rated albums of 2004. Soul-less, bland production and ordinary songs. The Audioslave album was great, mostly because Chris Cornell could sing the phone book and it would sound awesome. :)

I'd have to agree with this one.  Chis Cornell has an awesome voice. :)

Velvet Revolver sounds like the late 80s/early 90s music, nothing new or special.

Written By: joedeertae on 04/11/05 at 10:24 am

Velvet Revolver because... \/

Velvet Revolver sounds like the late 80s/early 90s music

the 80's and early 90's is what I gerw up with and still listen to most. I dig it, man. ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/05 at 11:20 am

My vote is for Audioslave.

Written By: jackas on 04/11/05 at 11:52 am

Velvet Revolver because... \/

the 80's and early 90's is what I gerw up with and still listen to most. I dig it, man. ::)

Yeah, that's when I grew up too and I really like music from that time, but I guess I'm not digging the fact that it's supposed to be new music and it sounds old.  Don't get me wrong, Velvet Revolver isn't a bad group, I guess I just figure if I wanted to hear old music, I would listen to old music.  :-\\  Sorry Joe :-[

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/05 at 11:56 am

Off topic... when Guns N' Rose finally released "Chinese Deomcracy" as an album?  Velvet Revolver will probally release another 3 albums before Axl finishs recording  "Chinese Deomcracy"!  ::)

Written By: joedeertae on 04/12/05 at 8:01 am

Yeah, that's when I grew up too and I really like music from that time, but I guess I'm not digging the fact that it's supposed to be new music and it sounds old.  Don't get me wrong, Velvet Revolver isn't a bad group, I guess I just figure if I wanted to hear old music, I would listen to old music.  :-\\  Sorry Joe :-[

No probs there jacks ;) ... it's NEW old music.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/12/05 at 11:19 am

yeah, but with not bringing along Axl, they also didnt bring along most of the reasons GNR were good
He has talent but he's such a jerk!

Written By: J on 04/20/05 at 9:00 pm

Cornell vs. Weiland... Morello vs. Slash... Soundgarden vs. STP... RATM vs. G'N'R... Can i just be happy these guys are making records unlike Zack or Axl?  Gotta say, I've seen 'em both live a couple times and even though Sucker Train Blues is sick, I gotta give the nod to Audioslave.  Be yourself, baby.  -j

Written By: Rainwater on 05/14/05 at 11:37 pm

8)    Scott Weiland former band wasn't called Stone Gossard Piarates for nothing. Audioslave is by far better listening than V.R! I do have a soft spot for slash from back in the day but Tom Morello has stollen it these days.  Chris is a far better lyricist and voalist than the other guy.  I raise my glass to AUDIOSLAVE .

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/16/05 at 5:21 pm

This is a very tough call.  I do not like GNR but loved STP,  and was ok with Rage against the Machine but Loved Soundgarden

I voted for AudioSlave.

It's interesting how the guitars definitely keep in touch with the previous band.  Morello on one hand and the other Slash.

In short Both these singers I respect in very different ways.

Cornell is an awesome singer with lots of heart soul and some of the best lyrics out there ( at least in his days in Sundgarden)
Whereas, Weiland, he statred out mimicking bands like Pearl Jam but themn created his own drug abused personality.  (he's a great performer more so than a writer.

Check for new replies or respond here...