inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: McDonald's Offers Money To Artists....

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 7:29 am

<Taken direct from another forum>

McDonald's has offered to pay hip hop artists to incorporate the 'Big Mac' into their song lyrics.
According to Advertising Age magazine, the fast food chain will pay rappers up to £2.80 ($5) every time a song namechecking the burger is played. McDonald's said the US deal reflected the appeal of hip hop to young people. Everyone remember McDonald's' TV commercial whose cast only featured negroes?

Critics say the scheme is "deceptive" given that the songs would appeal to children, for whom obesity levels have become a major concern. A whole string of products has enjoyed huge success in the United States after rappers started dropping brand names into songs - how pathetic. Among the happy beneficiaries were brands like Courvoisier, Gucci, Dom Perignon, Bentley and Porsche. Artists who have 'referenced' well-known products include Jay-Z, 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg.

McDonald's said the initiative was in line with its 2003 global marketing campaign aimed at 18-34 year olds, which launched the slogan 'I'm loving it'. Personally, I'm f---ing hating it (the campaign). Where's censorship when you need it?

The marketing plan was criticised by some consumer groups, which claimed that children would not be aware that the artists had been paid to promote the burger. McDonald's and other fast food chains have faced criticism that they are helping to fuel an obesity epidemic, particularly among children.

I get called da' Big Mac 'cause I eat da' Big Macs...I eat da' Big Macs all mothaf---in' day long!
Where's my $15, Ronald?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4389751.stm

Subject: Re: McDonald's Offers Money To Artists....

Written By: Howard on 04/07/05 at 1:51 pm

Who in the heck wants to sing about a Big Mac? ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/07/05 at 8:00 pm

The movie Super Size Me puts everything into prospective.

Written By: Powerslave on 04/07/05 at 8:35 pm

Remember when the Kinks had to change the lyrics of "Lola" from "Cola-Cola" to "cherry cola" so they wouldn't get sued? Now companies are paying guys to sing about their products. Why does it not surprise me that the world's largest and most corrupt fast "food" chain is doing this?

Written By: AL-B on 04/08/05 at 8:22 am

Me! Me! I do!!!

Big Macs taste like crap
Big Macs are made out of recycled bat guano
I found a cockroach in my Big Mac
I wanna throw up, I really wanna

(Easiest $15 I ever made.)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/08/05 at 12:02 pm

Well Howard, they had a slogan in the 70's about the Big Mac...

Written By: Howard on 04/08/05 at 2:14 pm

2 all beef patty special sauce,lettuce,cheese,pickles,onions on a sesame seed bun,YO! ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/08/05 at 8:47 pm

The movie Super Size Me puts everything into prospective.

I haven't touched McDonald's since I saw that movie. Just seeing him blow up like that make me sick to my stomach. Now all I need to see is a person die from cancer in front of my face and I'll quit smoking.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 1:15 am

Yeah that movie really changed my mind on McDonald's, Every time I want to go to McDanld's, I think of that movie!  Hey!  WTF!  It's the other way around!
:\'( >:(
Daaaaahhhmnnn! You Ronald!!! You have deceived me again!!!

Written By: Lazy Jessica on 04/09/05 at 4:20 am

Meh. I can't stomach McDonald's anymore. It has to be Booger King or Jack in the Crack.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/05 at 5:34 am

I've given up on most, if not all major fast food companies (McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, subway, etc)
It's all rubbish as far as I'm concerned.  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/09/05 at 7:07 am

I've given up on most, if not all major fast food companies (McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, subway, etc)
It's all rubbish as far as I'm concerned.  :P

So,where do you go for your fast food enjoyment? ???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/09/05 at 9:44 am

Too me that place doesn't even exist :P >:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/09/05 at 10:28 am

Which rappers are they try trying to get?  ???

Written By: goodsin on 04/09/05 at 10:32 am

Hey, in the UK a "Big Mac" is what 'flashers' wear- Mac being short for Mackintosh, a type of long waterproof overcoat. I've often thought Ron McDon is a bit of a Michael Jackson figure (likely to be dangerous to children in the wrong circumstances), am writing a parody based on this link but think it's a bit too ribald for the audience here, plus I hear Macky D's are pretty darn litigious...I'll leave it to your imagination...

We used to have a tosspot wannabee gangsta pap 'star' in the UK called Mark Morrison. He had a song called "return of the mack" out some time ago, I'm sure a parody could be wrought from that somehow...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/09/05 at 10:41 am

Me! Me! I do!!!

Big Macs taste like crap
Big Macs are made out of recycled bat guano
I found a cockroach in my Big Mac
I wanna throw up, I really wanna

(Easiest $15 I ever made.)
Naw...it's hip-hop, rap-crap peolle they try to appeal to now, so this might be a better fit...

In my ride I throw my ho,
On the way we'll snort some blow,
To Mickey Dee's, Big Macs to go,
With all the druggies screaming, Yo!

Written By: Howard on 04/09/05 at 2:29 pm

They're already rapping about "I'm Lovin' It ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...