inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cookie Monster to start eating healthy.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/08/05 at 6:44 pm

Seasme Street has change Cookie Monster's eating to now include, fruits and vegtables, and less cookies.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/04/07/entertainment/e123204D96.DTL

Subject: Re: Cookie Monster to start eating healthy.

Written By: AL-B on 04/08/05 at 6:47 pm

Next thing you know they'll be changing his name to "Rice Cake Monster." 

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/08/05 at 6:48 pm

it was bound to happen. he's getting older and he needs more fiber and fruit in his diet.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/08/05 at 6:50 pm

What about Tofu Monster?  ::)  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 04/08/05 at 7:02 pm

And in a related story, the Childrens' Television Workshop has announced that they are going to change Oscar The Grouch's name to "Oscar The Hygenically-Challenged Misanthrope."  ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/08/05 at 8:42 pm

Whatever! They should concentrate on making sure the food goes down his throat and no falling down in crumbs all over his face.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 1:56 am

To be futuristic, instead of progressive, Cookie Monster says:
Hungry? Eat them dogs, you do-nothing proles!
If I explained why I say this might be futuristic, I'd have to take it over to the politics board.

Look, Cookie Monster represents the child's nascent ID.  Kids and 99 out of 100 adults would rather eat a bag of cookies than a bag of carrots. But I mean, what's the point in talking of symbols, of archetypes, of metaphor to these clowns. It is obvious to me these clowns' brains got lockd up at an early age. 

You know, that's why Sesame Street worked!  Not everybody acted out of their best interest, not every situation had a happy ending, end even--bad things happend to good people.  Some how this agenda was causing young girls to become sexual precocious or something.  I mean, that's why they had to prove the corporate exectutives could provide better children's entertaiment than FANCY EDUCATORS FROM MASSACHUSETTS and pinko-puppeteers like Jim Henson.  What did they give us?  That's right, you got it.  BARNEY!  The brought forth a toothless, gelded dinosaur who talks like Barney Rubble on Quaaludes and always says "I love you!"  Well, the world ain't like that!  Everybody ever the age of six who does not believe Barneys world view is devoid of anything productive to say to children, raise your hands.  Say Hey!  See I told you!  Thank's a lot Barney, for socializing my four year-old-son* believe there ain't no bad dudes with bad intentions! 
Over and above the obvious sexual allegory in "Little Red Riding Hood," it is an anxiety-making process to realize there are such terrible people in the world.  That's why children have nightmares** and to have the use of allegory such as the "Big Bad Wolf" to be able to process this anxiety in a tangible form.
Sesame Street did do some of those, IMHO not quite enough, but if a child has the knowledge that those in authority may be wrong, he or she is less malleable to the notion that the there are bodies coming home in coffins and your president doesn't want you to see them, but he says everything over there is going swell, and instead of saying "I SMELL A RAT!," they say, "Gee, he's a man of God and he's the President, he must be right, right?"
Who is to blame when my sixteen*** year old daughter doesn't know enough to steer clear of a psychopathic boyfriend?

Barney didn't say, "Obey big daddy," he just loved 'em all into it.  Is Michael Jackson the Cookie Monster?  Ever seen them both in the same room?
:o

*Oy, I have no son, this is hypothethical!
**This is debatable by dream experts
*as above

Written By: Howard on 04/09/05 at 7:12 am

How about some vegetable cookies? ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/09/05 at 10:27 am

Is PETC (People for the Ethical Treatment of Cookies) behind this?  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 04/09/05 at 11:12 am

Look, Cookie Monster represents the child's nascent ID.  Kids and 99 out of 100 adults would rather eat a bag of cookies than a bag of carrots. But I mean, what's the point in talking of symbols, of archetypes, of metaphor to these clowns. It is obvious to me these clowns' brains got lockd up at an early age. 

You know, that's why Sesame Street worked!  Not everybody acted out of their best interest, not every situation had a happy ending, end even--bad things happend to good people.  Some how this agenda was causing young girls to become sexual precocious or something. 
I haven't watched Sesame Street in years, so I don't know how the show is today, but looking back I can remember moments when I was a kid that suggested that there were writers on the Children's Television Workshop who had somewhat of a subversive streak in them. Case in point: One of the running gags on the show was that Big Bird could never pronounce Mr. Hooper's name right. He usually would call him "Mr. Looper," and Mr. Hooper would be quick to correct him. ("It's HOOPER! Mr. HOOPER!" he'd say in a somewhat peeved manner.) But I can remember a couple of times when Big Bird called him "Mr. Pooper," which, when you're six years old, is more than enough to throw you into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/05 at 2:27 pm

They should let him eat unhealthy.It was funny the way he gobbled those cookies down in one gulp then almost chewed on the plate. ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/09/05 at 2:51 pm

What next? Cookie Monster eating Soylent Greens? :P :D

"The cookies are people!!! People!!!"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/09/05 at 3:20 pm

;D

Written By: AL-B on 04/09/05 at 3:58 pm

This just in: "Cookie Monster Accused Of Eating Manure!"  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 04/09/05 at 4:07 pm

It doesn't surprise me one little bit, lol.  ;D

Written By: Kenlos on 04/09/05 at 4:12 pm

No whats next is they are going to but Big Bird on diet and rename him/her "Skinny Bird".  ;D

Written By: Harmonica on 04/09/05 at 5:14 pm

Anyone ever notice how Cookie Monster never actually eats the cookie? He just crumples it up against his mouth.

I had a discussion with a bunch of college kids about this the other night, talk about laugh, and laugh hard.

Written By: Kyle on 04/09/05 at 7:19 pm

How about some vegetable cookies? ;D

:P

Good point, Howard! Cookie Monster will still be himself inhaling about 1,000 pounds of cookies per day, which is 365,000, or 182.5 tons per year and encourage healthy eating too.  But where is old school cookie monster.  If he eats nothing but carrots and bananas, he will be called "veggie monster", not Cookie Monster!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/05 at 7:26 pm

I haven't watched Sesame Street in years, so I don't know how the show is today, but looking back I can remember moments when I was a kid that suggested that there were writers on the Children's Television Workshop who had somewhat of a subversive streak in them. Case in point: One of the running gags on the show was that Big Bird could never pronounce Mr. Hooper's name right. He usually would call him "Mr. Looper," and Mr. Hooper would be quick to correct him. ("It's HOOPER! Mr. HOOPER!" he'd say in a somewhat peeved manner.) But I can remember a couple of times when Big Bird called him "Mr. Pooper," which, when you're six years old, is more than enough to throw you into a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

And Cookie Monster is necessary because he teaches a valuable lesson, "everything in moderation, including excess."

Written By: whitewolf on 04/09/05 at 8:22 pm

C is for celery, that's good enough for me, Oh celery, celery, celery starts with C.

Nope not quite the same is it.  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/09/05 at 9:20 pm

C is for celery, that's good enough for me, Oh celery, celery, celery starts with C.

Nope not quite the same is it.  :D

Ditto C is for Carrot, soon Oscar will be maded into a neat freak!  ::)  ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 04/09/05 at 9:24 pm

Ditto C is for Carrot, soon Oscar will be maded into a neat freak!  ::)  ;D

How about Telly, he is a panic ridden monster. They gonna put him on Paxil.
Little Elmo on Ritlin.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/09/05 at 9:26 pm

How about Telly, he is a panic ridden monster. They gonna put him on Paxil.

LOL....

Big Bird... on growth hormones?  :o  ::)  ;D

Written By: whitewolf on 04/09/05 at 9:28 pm

LOL....

Big Bird... on growth hormones?   :o  ::)  ;D

Snufflellaufagus...in a weight loss program.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/09/05 at 10:02 pm

Bert has an unhealhy "pigeon fetish".  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/10/05 at 7:04 am

Ernie will be put on medication for his OCD. ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/10/05 at 7:05 am

This just in: "Cookie Monster Accused Of Eating Manure!"  ;D

Would CTW sue if that happened? ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/05 at 3:48 pm

It's the letter selling trenchcoat guy, everone has to worry about..

"Pssssst.... Do you wanna buy an O?"  ;D

Written By: Kyle on 04/11/05 at 7:03 pm

You forgot Oscar!  He should be on Lysol!  Fact:  Oscar the Grouch may be one of the oldest member of the Sesame Street cult because he is the master of disaster!  LOL

Written By: Kyle on 04/11/05 at 7:05 pm

It's the letter selling trenchcoat guy, everone has to worry about..

"Pssssst.... Do you wanna buy an O?"  ;D

Maybe you can add a few more vowels to this word/phrase.  Of course, you can spin the wheel!

Check for new replies or respond here...