inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mainstream Rap is Starting to Die

Written By: Kyle on 04/10/05 at 2:51 pm

This may be it... after approxiamately 3 months of all this non-stop freaking mainstream crap, we are gradually changing to something else.  :)  While I was going to church this morning, the new "hits" are not rap, they are more of a Pop/Punk and Adult Contemporary type genre.  :o
I was shocked, manny!

You may not agree with me; but what do you think is gonna come up next on our trusty Billboard Chart.  Is it gonna be another 1999 wit teen pop/Pop-Punk/RapMetal/and Adult Comtp.  8) or we're going back to the 20's-70s.  What do you think?

Subject: Re: Mainstream Rap is Starting to Die

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 3:32 pm

I guess I'm glad to hear rap is taking a dive, but I don't really like whats in it's place.

As far as I'm concerned rock has been dead for 15 years.

Written By: gord on 04/10/05 at 3:33 pm

or we're going back to the 20's-70s.  What do you think?

going back ? I never left ;) not the 20s-50s,that's too far back :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 3:43 pm

going back ? I never left ;) not the 20s-50s,that's too far back :)

Not for me. I love jazz, big band, classic blues, rock from the 50s, sinatra etc.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/10/05 at 3:51 pm

Not for me. I love jazz, big band, classic blues, rock from the 50s, sinatra etc.

Give this dude 2 thumbs up and a round of applause.  Bebop, big band, avant garde, and Cuban jazz are my favs. 8)

As far as Kyle's post...I'm glad that rap/hip hop is starting to phase back a bit.  Seriously, I love old rap (1979-1999), but since 2000 it's become too commercialized and it needs to take a lengthy break.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/10/05 at 4:15 pm

20s-40s Classical music will make a comeback.

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/10/05 at 4:22 pm

LOL..Id like to see John Cage and Edgard Varese come back to the mainstream lol

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 4:37 pm

Wishful thinking.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/10/05 at 5:15 pm

I guess I'm glad to hear rap is taking a dive, but I don't really like whats in it's place.

As far as I'm concerned rock has been dead for 15 years.
;)I couldn't agree more...with a few exceptions.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 6:00 pm

;)I couldn't agree more...with a few exceptions.

Well I don't mean there are ABSOLUTELY no good rock songs in the last 15 years, but they are very few. And there aren't really any good bands, a few bands have made some good songs here and there, but no overall good bands imo.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 6:00 pm

I am listening to a good song right now called "Cells(Instrumental)" by a band called "The Servant",  and its good. It was used in the Sin City trailers.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/10/05 at 6:13 pm

Well I don't mean there are ABSOLUTELY no good rock songs in the last 15 years, but they are very few. And there aren't really any good bands, a few bands have made some good songs here and there, but no overall good bands imo.
Oh, I knew what you meant...and I agree ;)

Written By: Apricot on 04/10/05 at 8:29 pm

It is? YAY!!!

I think we'll replace it, with, like, a new, even crappier genre. Like rap metal combined with polka.  :D

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/10/05 at 8:31 pm

Yes it's about time for mainstream to go. I've just about had it with formulaic play by the numbers rap music. If I turn to BET and see another Huge Butt swinging on the screen I'm gonna throw up.
Artists need to focus more on the CONTENT of their Rhymes rather than just whether the hook is catchy enough.
I miss the days when Rap arstists wore clothes just for style rather than just plain showing off. Not only is that shallow and tasteless, but it's also disrespectful to some of their fans. Rappers have the nerve to sit there and say that "Oh money means nothing" Keep it Real" but then they have half of Fort Knox hanging off of their necks. Some of them even say "Oh you wish you had this, or you can't afford I what I got". What kind of message are they trying to send to young people?!
I'm not even going to start say how mainstream rap has dissected  beautiful women into nothing but gyrating body parts.

Rock needs to be careful too. It seems like bands are sounding and looking like each and everything is starting to sound the same to me, then again I'm not a well educated rock fan.

That's my 2 cents

Written By: Apricot on 04/10/05 at 8:56 pm

Yes it's about time for mainstream to go. I've just about had it with formulaic play by the numbers rap music. If I turn to BET and see another Huge Butt swinging on the screen I'm gonna throw up.
Artists need to focus more on the CONTENT of their Rhymes rather than just whether the hook is catchy enough.
I miss the days when Rap arstists wore clothes just for style rather than just plain showing off. Not only is that shallow and tasteless, but it's also disrespectful to some of their fans. Rappers have the nerve to sit there and say that "Oh money means nothing" Keep it Real" but then they have half of Fort Knox hanging off of their necks. Some of them even say "Oh you wish you had this, or you can't afford I what I got". What kind of message are they trying to send to young people?!
I'm not even going to start say how mainstream rap has dissected  beautiful women into nothing but gyrating body parts.

Rock needs to be careful too. It seems like bands are sounding and looking like each and everything is starting to sound the same to me, then again I'm not a well educated rock fan.

That's my 2 cents

Don't you mean 50 CENTS?  :o

But anyway, any mainstream music gets to sound the same. They have to be careful, lest their followings turn on them because they get "weird". Mainstream listeners tend to sway easily and forget their "favorite songs" as soon as another comes out. You can't do anything CRAZY or you'll lose fans.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/10/05 at 10:52 pm

I don't know I still hear a lot of rap on the radio, but it's all from 50 cent, lol. Let's see Candy Shop, Disco Inferno, This is how we do. Each of those songs is played about every 2 hours or so here. 50 cent rap is absolutely dominating the hip-hop/rap of 2005. I don't think there is much other rap on the charts right now. 50 cent did this in 2003 as well, and here he goes again in 2005. This guy just can't be stopped.

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/11/05 at 12:09 am

I think we'll replace it, with, like, a new, even crappier genre. Like rap metal combined with polka.  :D

that...well, that would be hell....i can just imagine Linkin Park with an accordian.....wait, didnt Weird Al Do that? lol

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/11/05 at 12:10 am

I don't know I still hear a lot of rap on the radio, but it's all from 50 cent, lol. Let's see Candy Shop, Disco Inferno, This is how we do. Each of those songs is played about every 2 hours or so here. 50 cent rap is absolutely dominating the hip-hop/rap of 2005. I don't think there is much other rap on the charts right now. 50 cent did this in 2003 as well, and here he goes again in 2005. This guy just can't be stopped.

lets try 10 bullets this time?  :P

Written By: Kyle on 04/11/05 at 6:47 pm

::)

I don't think so! You mean classical music of the style of Igor Stravinsky and Aaron Copland will come back, this may happen and I hope it dosen't!  :P

BTW, some of the music by the composers on Sibeliusmusic. com (Here's the link: http://www.sibeliusmusic.com) are pretty cool.  You probably never heard of Derek Bourgous and Glen Jones, don't ya!

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/13/05 at 3:34 pm

Don't you mean 50 CENTS?  :o

But anyway, any mainstream music gets to sound the same. They have to be careful, lest their followings turn on them because they get "weird". Mainstream listeners tend to sway easily and forget their "favorite songs" as soon as another comes out. You can't do anything CRAZY or you'll lose fans.

oooo...Don't get me started on that concrete jawed fool >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...