inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Memorial Run For Blaine?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/12/05 at 9:19 pm

As most of you already know, my son Blaine was murdered at a subway restaraunt on the night of April 26, 2001 at age 17. I have thought of doing something for him and lately it's been on my mind to do an annual "Blaine Steele Memorial 10k Run/Walk especially since he and I used to run together a lot. . Do you think I should try and organize it or let it go? That horrid day of 4 years ago is fast approaching and I have a lot of stuff flooding through my mind lately, you're advice/suggestions/help would greatly and deeply be appreciated ;)

Subject: Re: A Memorial Run For Blaine?

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/12/05 at 9:26 pm

Definatley.

I bet it would be about the most fitting tribute that could be made, and plus it would keep your mind occupied during this tough time.

Go for it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/12/05 at 9:30 pm

Definatley.

I bet it would be about the most fitting tribute that could be made, and plus it would keep your mind occupied during this tough time.

Go for it.
Thanks :) I actually don't know when I want it to be held. I have a hard time putting it in this month...and his birthday of January 24 is usually too cold for something like this :-\\

Written By: ADH13 on 04/12/05 at 10:15 pm

Yes, I think it's a great idea!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/12/05 at 10:34 pm

I think it's a good idea.  You'd probably have to get approval from the city, though.  Maybe get a radio station or newspaper to sponsor it ???  You'd also have to have ALOT of people helping you with it.  There's also the question of whether or not you'd charge people to participate and what you would do with the proceeds, etc.  I think April is a good month for it as, like Alchoholica said, it would give you something positive to focus on, but it's probably too late to plan something like this for this year.  Maybe shoot for next year since it will be the 5 year anniversary ??
Thanks, Kim :) Yes, next year will probably work better. I want the proceeds to go to an organization called "The Victim's Fund" which helped us with his funeral....I really have a hard time with this month but perhaps it would be the right time...

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/12/05 at 10:56 pm

absolutely go for it  :)

Written By: jackas on 04/12/05 at 10:58 pm

That's a great idea Mark.  It will take a lot of work to get something like that off the ground, but it would definitely be worth it.  

The American Cancer Society does something called "Relay For Life".  Maybe you could do a condensed version of that.  You could probably go to the American Cancer Society web site for a better understanding of what it's about.  Perhaps there has been a Relay For Life in your area and you may be able to talk to one of the people who helped coordinate it.

Written By: Tam on 04/12/05 at 11:15 pm

I think that is an excellent idea Mark.
Of course I agree that aiming for next year would be your best option - however getting the ball rolling will help you focus on the positive as opposed to the negative that this month brings.
Some ideas for you - there are many Gov't Grants available to Non-profit orgs.
That way you could cover all of your expenses with it and still have the cash to keep constantly taking Beth out!  ;)
As was suggested about what to do with the money afterwards - why not have someof the proceeds go to the Make a Wish Foundation or another type that generally caters to children along with The Victim's Fund? AND - if you actualy get in touch with some of those orgs. they might take your idea and run with it (no pun intended) so then you wouldnt need to apply for the grants and stuff!

I think it is an excellent idea Mark - and I am glad to see you are trying to remain as positive as you can!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/13/05 at 12:52 am

Wow Mark.....

that is an awesome idea!!!!!!!! Since running is something that you and Blaine loved to do together...how appropriate for you to honor him with a memorial run....I say GO FOR IT!!

Erin :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/13/05 at 1:40 am

Go for it, Mark!  :)

Written By: Bobby on 04/13/05 at 2:51 am

Of course! That's a very good idea.  :D

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/13/05 at 3:19 am

Go for it, Mark. We are all pulling for you. :)

Written By: karen on 04/13/05 at 3:34 am

I say go for it too Mark.  Next year as the five year anniversary would be a good year to do the first one.  It gives some focus as to why you are starting to do them.

As an alternative perhaps you could consider just getting personal sponsorship to run in a big race (like NY marathon) in Blaine's memory.  A friend of mine did something like that on the 20 year anniversary of her husbands death.

Written By: gemini61 on 04/13/05 at 5:23 am

Yes, absolutely do it! It's a great idea, Mark!  :) 

Written By: Paul on 04/13/05 at 7:39 am

Excellent idea, Mark...but I'd leave it until next year as you may find it pretty difficult to get things organised in such a short space of time...

But whatever you decide...go for it...

Written By: bj26 on 04/13/05 at 7:52 am

I voted yes but feel the walk should be a positive and memorable experience - not a time to express anger against the company he worked for or society's problems.  Race participants will have their own awareness and personal feelings as to the reasons they are racing.  Your son still lives within you and your family, and you'll very probably see him again in your grandkids and even further on down the line :)

Written By: jaytee on 04/13/05 at 9:12 am

Just do it!  ;) :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 9:18 am

Thanks to everyone for being so positive! I've got my work cut out for me but I think a year will be enough time for me to organize this ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/13/05 at 10:53 am

I think you should go ahead with plans, Mark. Not just for Blaine, but for all victims of senseless violence and their families. That should make them very satisfied, if not completely consolated.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 12:42 pm

I think you should go ahead with plans, Mark. Not just for Blaine, but for all victims of senseless violence and their families. That should make them very satisfied, if not completely consolated.
Thanks Jonathan :) I'm looking into starting a non-profit organization and then having the run as part of it. Money raised, I want earmarked for the Victims Fund so that it will indeed cover everyone ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...