inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Horrid "Accident" Boy Charged Your Thoughts?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 9:43 am

This is a very sad story.

http://www.gazette.com/display.php?secid=2

Subject: Re: Horrid "Accident" Boy Charged Your Thoughts?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 10:51 am

Wait, is the question should he be charged or should he be charged as an adult?  Yes as a minor & No would be the same thing, wouldn't they?

Anyhoo, I think he should be charged, but not as an adult. 
Sorry I didn't make it clearer...yes for the being charged as an adult, Yes but as a minor or no for not at all. I chose as a minor. The kid has a spotless record so I think he'll get probation. He's also showing remorse which is always a good thing, as long as it's genuine :-\\

Written By: Marian on 04/13/05 at 3:07 pm

In the bay area there seems to have been a rash of jerks who drive recklessly and kill someone--some leaving the scene,some not.A woman about a year and a half ago killed 2 kids and left the scene.she said she was getting advice from a friend.No doubt this friend told her to lay low until thje alchohol passed through her system(making it impossible to charge her with drunk driving)People shouldn't think they can get off easier because they're a kid,when the victim is also a kid.A car can be a deadly weapon,like a gun,and if you're a jerk who drives recklessly,you shouild pay for it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 3:25 pm

In the bay area there seems to have been a rash of jerks who drive recklessly and kill someone--some leaving the scene,some not.A woman about a year and a half ago killed 2 kids and left the scene.she said she was getting advice from a friend.No doubt this friend told her to lay low until thje alchohol passed through her system(making it impossible to charge her with drunk driving)People shouldn't think they can get off easier because they're a kid,when the victim is also a kid.A car can be a deadly weapon,like a gun,and if you're a jerk who drives recklessly,you shouild pay for it.
He wasn't drunk, has never been in trouble with the law and is a model student. He was going 9 MPH over the speed limit. I think it's horrible but it was an accident and under the circumstances, I think he should pay for for it, but as what he is, a minor.  :-\\

Written By: Marian on 04/13/05 at 8:28 pm

He wasn't drunk, has never been in trouble with the law and is a model student. He was going 9 MPH over the speed limit. I think it's horrible but it was an accident and under the circumstances, I think he should pay for for it, but as what he is, a minor.  :-\\
Well,yeah,but when you got a weapon,in this case a car,you need to be in control of it.He should have known better than to go over the speed limit.I'm sure the judge has several options in sentencing.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/13/05 at 8:39 pm

I would agree to charge him as a minor, because I believe he is sorry for what he's done. But he deserves some time to think about it in the slammer, then some psychiatric care. :-\\

Written By: Marian on 04/13/05 at 8:51 pm

I would agree to charge him as a minor, because I believe he is sorry for what he's done. But he deserves some time to think about it in the slammer, then some psychiatric care. :-\\
That's a good idea.I think driving is an adult responsibility anyway.With all the large cars and trucks on the road today,I think it's horrifying that there are immature people driving them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 9:44 pm

Well,yeah,but when you got a weapon,in this case a car,you need to be in control of it.He should have known better than to go over the speed limit.I'm sure the judge has several options in sentencing.
Clearly though...he's 16, a good guy...he went 9 over, which yes is speeding, but certainly I don't think he's worthy of being tried as an adult :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 9:48 pm

I agree with you on the minor charge...but the slammer? I think he'd better serve his peers by lecturing about the dangers of careless driving. Since I've been driving I have sped numerous times...I don't think that deems a psychiatric evaluation neccessary.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/14/05 at 8:01 pm

Since this is classified as a vehicular homicide, it should mean at least a year of jail time, or at least in a institution like Boys' School. There needs to be some form of responsibility.
I agree with you on the minor charge...but the slammer? I think he'd better serve his peers by lecturing about the dangers of careless driving. Since I've been driving I have sped numerous times...I don't think that deems a psychiatric evaluation neccessary.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/14/05 at 8:05 pm

Since this is classified as a vehicular homicide, it should mean at least a year of jail time, or at least in a institution like Boys' School. There needs to be some form of responsibility.
I hope the judge sentences him to some form of community service...he wants to tell educate others so that he can help. I don't see anything good....for this particular situation...by placing him in jail :-\\ If one of my kids had been killed like this I'd feel the same. He doesn't belong in with the drunk drivers and murders. Just my opinion though ;)

Written By: EthanM on 04/14/05 at 11:18 pm

I couldn't see the story because it isn't on the site anymore, but from what i can tell this kid is probably pretty upset about this and the guilt in itself is a lot of punishment. It doesn't seem like there was any criminal intent it's not like he was going 25 over the limit. A lot of new drivers drive a lot faster than that which is why insurance rates are so high for teenagers. But in this case he was a lot less fortunate than most kids who do the same thing. Jail time would be ridiculous, but i think it might be a good idea to have him do some community service especially if it helped the family of the victim. Also, wouldn't taking away his license and sending him back to drivers ed until he is clearly a competent driver make a lot more sense than jail time? But i wouldn't be surprised if he does not want to drive for a very long time.

Written By: Marian on 04/15/05 at 2:36 pm

I couldn't see the story because it isn't on the site anymore, but from what i can tell this kid is probably pretty upset about this and the guilt in itself is a lot of punishment. It doesn't seem like there was any criminal intent it's not like he was going 25 over the limit. A lot of new drivers drive a lot faster than that which is why insurance rates are so high for teenagers. But in this case he was a lot less fortunate than most kids who do the same thing. Jail time would be ridiculous, but i think it might be a good idea to have him do some community service especially if it helped the family of the victim. Also, wouldn't taking away his license and sending him back to drivers ed until he is clearly a competent driver make a lot more sense than jail time? But i wouldn't be surprised if he does not want to drive for a very long time.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/15/05 at 6:00 pm

Making sure he's a competent driver before he can take the road again is a good idea.What concerns me is when people are young and get busted for something,being able to put it behind them seems more important to them than pondering the consequences of their actions.i think if you kill someone,you never really put it behind you.it becomes a part of you and your role becomes education people about what not to do,not simply making yourself feel better.

He feels the same. He wants to help educate others and himseld as to the safety and resposibility that comes with driving a vecichle. I just hate it when kids with a history of crime get set free but this kid, who is not in that group whatsoever, is being treated the same as a kid who deals crack, carries a loaded gun and surely between the two has been guilty of taking a life on purpose. The girls parents have come out and said that he has suffered enough and they don't want two lives destroyed from this accident :\'( He should definately do something positive for the community, but putting him in a prison with real criminals just doesn't seem to make any sense :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...