inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Two Thousand-"AND" or Twenty--? Let me explain...

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/13/05 at 4:38 pm

Okay, two thousand AND one, two thousand AND twelve, two thousand AND twenty-four, etc...
A lot of people say 2001, 2012, and 2024 with "and" in them, right?  Of course because that's what most, and I do mean most of us learned in school, right?  Others, like myself, like to cut out the middle man and just say "two thousand-one", two thousand-five, and so on, because it's just more convenient and easy to get out.  After the 2000s, most of us will use twenty when we say a year, such as twenty-ten, twenty-thirty-two.  It's a whole lot easier than saying two thousand AND forty-four.  Anyone confused yet?  Let me make it simpler:

2005=two thousand and five, two thousand-five

2011=two thousand and eleven, two thousand-eleven, twenty-eleven

Am I clear now?  Anyways, tell me how you say the years in the new millenium.    :)

Thanks Drewlinc for your post, which gave me the idea for this one.. 8)

Subject: Re: Two Thousand-"AND" or Twenty--? Let me explain...

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/13/05 at 4:40 pm

I say two-thousand five, and when we hit 2020, I will probably say twenty-whatever from then on.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/13/05 at 4:43 pm

Once 2010 hits, I will change to the twenty-_____ form, I just prefer that way, that's the way we used for hundreds and hundreds of years before 2000.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/13/05 at 4:47 pm

Okay, two thousand AND one, two thousand AND twelve, two thousand AND twenty-four, etc...
A lot of people say 2001, 2012, and 2024 with "and" in them, right?  Of course because that's what most, and I do mean most of us learned in school, right?  Others, like myself, like to cut out the middle man and just say "two thousand-one", two thousand-five, and so on, because it's just more convenient and easy to get out.  After the 2000s, most of us will use twenty when we say a year, such as twenty-ten, twenty-thirty-two.  It's a whole lot easier than saying two thousand AND forty-four.  Anyone confused yet?  Let me make it simpler:

2005=two thousand and five, two thousand-five

2011=two thousand and eleven, two thousand-eleven, twenty-eleven

Am I clear now?  Anyways, tell me how you say the years in the new millenium.    :)

Thanks Drewlinc for your post, which gave me the idea for this one.. 8)

The people who include "and" in the two-thousands years, are 100 % incorrect. It is not correct to insert "and" in the number 2005, "and" would be inserted in 2005.5 though, that would be read as "two-thousand five AND five tenths", NOT "two-thousand AND five AND five tenths". Make sure you correct somebody if they put "and" in 2005, because they are just wrong.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/14/05 at 1:57 am

The people who include "and" in the two-thousands years, are 100 % incorrect. It is not correct to insert "and" in the number 2005, "and" would be inserted in 2005.5 though, that would be read as "two-thousand five AND five tenths", NOT "two-thousand AND five AND five tenths". Make sure you correct somebody if they put "and" in 2005, because they are just wrong.

That's very true, and very amazing....thank you!  8)

Written By: karen on 04/14/05 at 3:47 am

I say two thousand and five for this year and will carry on using that form until 2020 I think when I will swap to twenty twenty.

To those saying that the "and" is wrong I want to know how do you say 102 then?  Because I would say a hundred and two.  I don't see how that is grammatically incorrect but am willing to listen to a coherent explanation of the reason.

Written By: bj26 on 04/14/05 at 6:42 am

20 hundred and cinco :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/05 at 10:53 am

I say two thousand and five for this year and will carry on using that form until 2020 I think when I will swap to twenty twenty.

To those saying that the "and" is wrong I want to know how do you say 102 then?  Because I would say a hundred and two.  I don't see how that is grammatically incorrect but am willing to listen to a coherent explanation of the reason.

A lot of people will do it, but it is wrong. 102 is just one hundred two, no "and" in there. And only goes in if there are numbers on the right side of the decimal point in the number, (i.e. 102.25, read as "one hundred two and twenty-five hundredths").

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/05 at 11:09 am

I'll probably continue the two-thousand.  To me, twenty ** just sounds hinky ??? The way I learned it is you would say twenty two for 22, forty six for 46, etc.  When you get to 100, it's no different.  Same for 1000. and so on and so on.  It's based on Roman Numerals (I think).  There's no "and" in them.

The problem I have with the whole two-thousand thing, is that for all these years we used the other way, which I think is more efficient and sounds better. It was "nineteen ninety-nine" of course for example, all of a sudden 2000 comes and everybody changes to the thousand form, why?

Written By: karen on 04/14/05 at 11:12 am

In the case of 102.25 I would say one hundred and two point two five.  maybe it's a British/American thing?

Written By: Powerslave on 04/14/05 at 11:37 am

In the case of 102.25 I would say one hundred and two point two five.  maybe it's a British/American thing?

Could be. Australians say "two thousand AND one". I've yet to hear a Brit or an Aussie say "one hundred one", "two thousand one," etc., but Americans do it all the time. So putting the word "and" in might be wrong in America, but here it's wrong if you don't say it.  :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/05 at 11:43 am

Could be. Australians say "two thousand AND one". I've yet to hear a Brit or an Aussie say "one hundred one", "two thousand one," etc., but Americans do it all the time. So putting the word "and" in might be wrong in America, but here it's wrong if you don't say it.  :)

I know the rule here is there is no "and" in whole numbers, though sometimes a quick "and" comes out when speaking, but if I were formally writing out a number I'd write it without the and.

Written By: karen on 04/15/05 at 7:06 am

If I was writing out a cheque I would write "two thousand and one pounds fifty pence only"

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/15/05 at 3:21 pm

As of the moment I just say Two-Five it's simple and evryone knows what I'm talking about.
When 2020 gets here I'll say Two-twenty. Yeah I know... I'm lazy.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/15/05 at 3:37 pm

As of the moment I just say Two-Five it's simple and evryone knows what I'm talking about.
When 2020 gets here I'll say Two-twenty. Yeah I know... I'm lazy.

I just say "OH-FIVE" myself for short.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 3:45 pm

Probably two-thousand ten eleven twelve etc for the teens, twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, etc for 2020s and beyond.

Written By: darktower on 04/18/05 at 12:05 pm

1705 was "seventeen-oh-five,"
1805 was "eighteen-oh-five",
1905 was "nineteen-oh-five", SO
2005 is "twenty-oh-five".

...maybe this should be a new thread, or maybe one already exists (let me know) -- but those of us with longer historical memories are going to start running into decade trouble soon. Will 2021 be the beginning of "the Twenties"? But that's the Jazz Age, Art Deco, Gershwin, Fitzgerald, Calvin Coolidge, the Marx Brothers...will 2021 be the beginning of The Twenties II?!? God forbid!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/18/05 at 12:45 pm

Cool thread - there was something similar to this on one of my BTTF boards.

Anyway, I suppose the 'correct' way to say the 2000+ years is "Two-thousand five", but, in the past, whenever I was referring to a year that was after 2000, I always said "Twenty oh-five". In 1995 you could do that a little easier than now, LOL!

Even though we're actually in those years now, and it's different than most people say it, I still use my old formula - just sounds cooler for some reason.

Besides, in BTTF 2, Doc referred to 2015 as "Twenty-fifteen". ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/05 at 12:55 pm

What if you're writing a checque?  Would you spell out "two thousand and one dollars and fifty cents"?

Actually, the proper way of writing that out is "Two thousand, one dollars AND fifty cents" or "Two thousand, five hundred, fifty-eight dollars AND ninty-three cent". Oh and btw, you do know how to spell my name for that check?  ;)

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/18/05 at 2:24 pm

I always say "Twenty-O-Five"

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/18/05 at 3:47 pm

I always say "Twenty-O-Five"

I usually say 2K5 and NOT 2K and 5

Written By: karen on 04/19/05 at 4:05 am

I think we've established that it is a country thing.

A random sample at work shows that the Brits and Aussies say two thousand AND five and others randomise between two thousand five and two thousand AND five.  No one from the states here but a mix of Europeans and Asians.

Check for new replies or respond here...