inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oklahoma City Bombing: 10 years on

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/18/05 at 11:04 pm

Today, April 19th marks the 10th anniversary of the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Okahoma City. I was just a little kid nearly 8 years old at the time, but I remember the significance of the event. It sparked a concern about security. I remember the federal building downtown being closed for a week or so, and after that all the increased security at federal buildings. Timothy McVeigh was found guilty of the bombing and was executed back in 2001. In memory of those that died in the attack a decade ago.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Oklahoma City Bombing: 10 years on

Written By: danootaandme on 04/18/05 at 11:09 pm

The sight of the babies still makes me cry.  To me the terrorist within is more scarier than the
terrorist outside.

Written By: Kenlos on 04/18/05 at 11:12 pm

I was 12 and in 6th grade when it happened.  I remember hearing about it in homeroom that day.  Hard to believe it has been ten years now.  A sad day in US history and a day that will not be forgotten nor those who lost their lives.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/19/05 at 8:40 am

I was 17 at the time of the bombing.  I remember we watched the whole coverage and then we went home early that day.  I agree that domestic terrorism is just as scary as international terrorism.  Especially when it's for silly causes.

Written By: Guest on 04/19/05 at 8:49 am

I was 11 going on 12 at the time and was in 5th grade.  I remember staying home from school that morning and seeing the coverage of it on the news.  Hard to believe that was 10 years ago.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/19/05 at 3:49 pm

I was 24 and at work.  It still freaks me out how easy it was for him to park the truck and leave it.  Then there is that picture of the firefighter holding the little girl that haunts me.  So sad.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/19/05 at 6:49 pm

I was in 4th grade and we were having inside recess when I found out.  Someone had been listening to the reports on the radio and came and told us.  I remember we were worried because my older sister was downtown at the time it happened.
I've been to the memorial a few times and it makes me cry every time.  Inside there is a room where you listen to a recording of a meeting that was held in the building next to the Murrah building.  I just can't imagine what that would be like.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/19/05 at 7:07 pm

It happened in the Spring semester of my Freshman year of college. Was I surprised that it happened? No, our country unfortunately points their fingers at everyone else while schizos walk our land only to spring such chaos our way. Was I saddened by the loss of innocent life? Yes, more so for the children.

Will it happen again? Of course. Domestic terrorism isn't new to our country. Look at the Klan, Neo-Nazis, "militia" (yeah, right) groups, etc. They've been doing it for years.

Let's not shift our focus from them either!

Tanya

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 7:19 pm

Truly a terrible event, I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I or someone I loved died in it. 

I don't know if I'd say it's more scary than terrorism from without though, it'd be awful hard for a US citizen to get hold of a nuke.  It is harder to stop though.

Check for new replies or respond here...