inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the general theme of the 2000s?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 6:47 pm

60s was revolution, 70s happiness, 80s shallowness and fun, 90s controversy and prosperity, what will/would be the 2000s theme?  I'd say disaster and controversy (although a different type of controversy than the 90s). 

Subject: Re: What's the general theme of the 2000s?

Written By: Kyle on 04/19/05 at 6:53 pm

I say it's technology, less agreeable music (not crappy, but the '90s outweighs the 2000's ;) ), and maybe homeland security.

Written By: texasairman on 04/28/05 at 9:12 am

What's the general theme of the 2000s? I vote for OH OH! That about sums it up, so far. War, famine, disaster - oh, wait, that's been about every decade. Nearly 4 million Chinese were drowned in a flood on the Yellow River in the last century. Over 20,000 died in an avalance in Peru. Hey, its BUSINESS AS USUAL! As they say, only two things are inevitable - DEATH and TAXES. Which goes along with an old Chinese saying: "The truly wise man prepares for his death from the day he is born." No, I don't know the name of the old Chinese person who said it. It was probably Lai Lao, tho.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/28/05 at 9:49 am

I would say aggression.  It seems like everyone wants to tell everyone else how it's gonna be and why
their way is right and everyone elses is "just plain stupid".  That seems to be the tone of the country, and it
is pretty ugly.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/28/05 at 8:56 pm

Fear and Panic

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/28/05 at 9:43 pm

2000s = Technology, the continuation of crappy music trends, fear and aggression (to sum it all up)

Written By: Miss Tainted on 04/28/05 at 11:34 pm

I have to agree with the technology and agression thing but we have BETTER music these days.  ::)

Written By: Kyle on 04/29/05 at 7:34 pm

I have to agree with the technology and aggression thing but we have BETTER music these days.  ::)

Agreed.  Some of the music from the '70s were pretty downright crappy, especially disco music at the end of the decade.  The '80s were OK, but when we enter the '90s, music is pretty darn good.  ;)

Written By: darktower on 05/25/05 at 2:50 pm

Reality/unreality and back again. Unreal reality shows. Reality that seems unreal: planes into buildings--can't believe your eyes--but what is that "enhanced" thing on one of the planes, not to mention the bright flash--and was it really Middle Eastern Terrorists, or...  And Britney/Lindsey/Hillary/Paris...which are they, exactly? What the hey was that I just saw on the road: a car, a station wagon, a van, an SUV? All. And none. Martha Stewart looking fit and trim on the cover of Newsweek..but wait, that's her head, but not her body..."Celebrity Fakes" (a tautology)...documentation of Bush's failure as a Reservist..or not...Information as Art supplies.

Written By: supercute on 05/25/05 at 3:52 pm

Theme of 2000S IMO: Excess to the pt. of alienation.

PS-NOT related to 1980s glam excess...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/05 at 4:43 pm

Theme of the '00s: Death throes of the American republic, ascent of the stateless corporate empire.

President Bush=Darth Idiot

Check for new replies or respond here...