inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The FCC Have Some Really Stupid Rules!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/20/05 at 8:16 pm

I'm sick of the FCC...at least these two rules:

1. I live in Colorado Springs and pay for cable. Yet, I cannot watch Denver Channels. Years ago, my brother had satelite and could watch networks such as NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox from up ro 5 different cities of his choice. They cracked down saying that if you could pick up those networks locally then you weren't "Entitled" to the priviledge of watching other locations. I used to have satelite and found a way around this law. I told them I lived way up in the mountains and couldn't get the local Colorado Springs channels, therefore I was allowed to choose up to 3 different cities to get NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox. I chose Denver, Chicago and Pittsburgh. This way I was able to not only get a taste of these towns but was able to see all the Broncos/Bear and Steelers games :)

2. I used to listen to internet radio stations. I had a friend who lived near Poughkeepsie, New York and we listened to the same station "Together". Now not only do you rarely get to hear stations anymore but they also cut out the local adds. I liked hearing the local stuff. Also, there's a weekly syndicated show called "It's Flashback" that I can't get on the internet anymore >:(

Why must the FCC be such jerks?

Subject: Re: The FCC Have Some Really Stupid Rules!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/20/05 at 8:29 pm

Believe me, Mark, it's the same thing in other smaller markets too. You can't even get Indianapolis stations in Terre Haute, or Chicago stations in Southern Illinois (where they probably only get St. Louis or Evansville channels. I never even heard that you can choose stations from satellite. I would probably choose Indy, Baltimore (or DC), and Atlanta stations, since I have ties to Balto.-DC and Northern Georgia. I'm sorry the FCC is ruining your experience. I hope you can work things out that you can return to what you desire. 8) 

1. I live in Colorado Springs and pay for cable. Yet, I cannot watch Denver Channels. Years ago, my brother had satelite and could watch networks such as NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox from up ro 5 different cities of his choice. They cracked down saying that if you could pick up those networks locally then you weren't "Entitled" to the priviledge of watching other locations. I used to have satelite and found a way around this law. I told them I lived way up in the mountains and couldn't get the local Colorado Springs channels, therefore I was allowed to choose up to 3 different cities to get NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox. I chose Denver, Chicago and Pittsburgh. This way I was able to not only get a taste of these towns but was able to see all the Broncos/Bear and Steelers games :)

2. I used to listen to internet radio stations. I had a friend who lived near Poughkeepsie, New York and we listened to the same station "Together". Now not only do you rarely get to hear stations anymore but they also cut out the local adds. I liked hearing the local stuff. Also, there's a weekly syndicated show called "It's Flashback" that I can't get on the internet anymore >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/20/05 at 8:34 pm

Believe me, Mark, it's the same thing in other smaller markets too. You can't even get Indianapolis stations in Terre Haute, or Chicago stations in Southern Illinois (where they probably only get St. Louis or Evansville channels. I never even heard that you can choose stations from satellite. I would probably choose Indy, Baltimore (or DC), and Atlanta stations, since I have ties to Balto.-DC and Northern Georgia. I'm sorry the FCC is ruining your experience. I hope you can work things out that you can return to what you desire. 8) 
Thanks Jonathan, I'm definately going back to Dish Network. All I have to do is tell them I live in the boonies and I can have my pick ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/20/05 at 9:29 pm

I happy for the CRTC here in Canada, sort of...  ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/20/05 at 9:35 pm

Well, the first one sounds more like a dispute between cable/dish network providers ( or possible blackout/overlap situations ). The second one may have nothing to do with the FCC at all. Perhaps it wasn't profitable. Of course, I may be wrong on both accounts.

MY main concerns with the FCC are it's selective censorship policies on what THEY deem appropriate. For example, the " F " word isn't allowed on regular cable here, but there have been 3 VERY noticeable excpetions:

1: On Comedy Central " Secret Stash " ( usually on at 1 am here on early Sunday morning ) ANYTHING flies. The South Park movie probably says the " F " word 100+ times in the first 10 minutes of the movie, and uses several " banned " 4 letter words in the movie. Comedy shows are also uncensored.

2: At a FAMILY time ( around 8 pm here ), I think A & E showed " The Exonerated " and it used many no-no words as well.

3: HBO is a basic channel here and they do not censor ( from what I've seen ).

When it comes to radio the FCC is cracking down as well and many songs that my station used to play ( even with distorted words ) are now on the unofficial ban list.

Of course, it's perfectly acceptable to show advertisements at dinner time on erectile dysfunction. I can only imagine a parent explaining that to their children. ( " Bobby, that's for you to worry about in 40 years. Now finish your dinner " ).

Now, I don't want to hear every other word out of the TV or radio to be a curse word, but it's getting out of hand.

PS- A LOT of retailers will not have any music that has foul language in it or is explicit ( noteably Wal-Mart ), but that is their choice and was done by the music industry at the hands of the PMRC. It is MY choice not to go to Wal- Mart and buy their goods.

Actually the FCC has basically no rules to follow as far as govenment agencies go ( which is why they are so F**KED UP ).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/20/05 at 10:53 pm

Well, the first one sounds more like a dispute between cable/dish network providers ( or possible blackout/overlap situations ). The second one may have nothing to do with the FCC at all. Perhaps it wasn't profitable. Of course, I may be wrong on both accounts.

MY main concerns with the FCC are it's selective censorship policies on what THEY deem appropriate. For example, the " F " word isn't allowed on regular cable here, but there have been 3 VERY noticeable excpetions:

1: On Comedy Central " Secret Stash " ( usually on at 1 am here on early Sunday morning ) ANYTHING flies. The South Park movie probably says the " F " word 100+ times in the first 10 minutes of the movie, and uses several " banned " 4 letter words in the movie. Comedy shows are also uncensored.

2: At a FAMILY time ( around 8 pm here ), I think A & E showed " The Exonerated " and it used many no-no words as well.

3: HBO is a basic channel here and they do not censor ( from what I've seen ).

When it comes to radio the FCC is cracking down as well and many songs that my station used to play ( even with distorted words ) are now on the unofficial ban list.

Of course, it's perfectly acceptable to show advertisements at dinner time on erectile dysfunction. I can only imagine a parent explaining that to their children. ( " Bobby, that's for you to worry about in 40 years. Now finish your dinner " ).

Now, I don't want to hear every other word out of the TV or radio to be a curse word, but it's getting out of hand.

PS- A LOT of retailers will not have any music that has foul language in it or is explicit ( noteably Wal-Mart ), but that is their choice and was done by the music industry at the hands of the PMRC. It is MY choice not to go to Wal- Mart and buy their goods.

Actually the FCC has basically no rules to follow as far as govenment agencies go ( which is why they are so F**KED UP ).

Yeah, some of it's the "Blackout" garbage...which I don't agree with at all. As for cuss words...Oh boy, where do I begin?! We have a rock station here that has ALWAYS cut out the "H" in the Weezer song "Hash Pipe"...and yet they play Eric Clapton's "Cocaine"...same kinda thing with the now abonible MTV and VH1...they cut words like B*tch but freely have G*d D*amn as well as those lovable rappers saying the "F" word in every other sentence :P

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 1:18 am

Yeah, some of it's the "Blackout" garbage...which I don't agree with at all. As for cuss words...Oh boy, where do I begin?! We have a rock station here that has ALWAYS cut out the "H" in the Weezer song "Hash Pipe"...and yet they play Eric Clapton's "Cocaine"...same kinda thing with the now abonible MTV and VH1...they cut words like B*tch but freely have G*d D*amn as well as those lovable rappers saying the "F" word in every other sentence :P

Yeah, curse words have no ending of examples. 3 that stick out in my mind are completely alternate lyrics to songs such as " My Name Is..." by Eminem ( which not only uses different lyrics but even when he says " Drugs " it get scratched over ). Drugs is a bad word? DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe the FCC will ban me now ( F**K THEM ). The second is a Rage Against The Machine song that ends with " F**k you I won't do what you tell me " about 20 times that is never played ( even censored ). The last is Tool's Aenima where the F word is completely missing, leaving lines like "...L Ron Hubbard and ....all these clones ".

You know it's pretty simple to me ( and George Carlin has made this point as well on censorship ). If you are old enough to drive a car then you are old enough to hear dirty words. If you don't like what you hear you have 2 choices:
A: Change stations or
B: Turn the radio off.

Imagine that. If something offends you change the station, don't be a huge pu$$y and cry to the FCC.

If you are worried about your kid hearing about drugs/violence/cursing/$ex in music, maybe you should have them aborted* as any kid that sheltered will wind up a total train wreck in later years ( I can cite atleast 7 examples of overprotective parents when it comes to music and WITHOUT FAIL ALL THEIR KIDS WERE SCREWED UP ).

*I don't literally mean that but it is ridiculous. As far as todays music goes a lot is not vulgar per se, untill you see the video ( Fiona Apple's " Criminal " sticks out ). Not to mention all the hidden meanings in songs these days.

Another song that is very thinly veiled but gets regular airplay is Stone Temple Pilots " $ex Type Thing ". I guess the FCC hasn't figured that one out in nearly 13 years ( or doesn't listen to much grunge ).

They cut out the H in "Hash Pipe"? So you have "ash pipe", which to me sounds like you just got done smoking something a lot worse than hash. I guess the FCC people must prefer cocaine over hash. ;)

Pretty soon they'll be censoring stuff like Madonna's " Like a Virgin" since that is $exual or Robert Palmer's " Addicted to Love " since addictions of any kind are bad.

Whoever is the head of the FCC need to pull their head out of their a$$ and realize that a few curse words with not ruin America's people. The government is already doing that with all their other policies.

PS- the asterisked words or $ vs s is that ChuckyG has already said that Google is taking notice of the word $ex, even as benign a name as David E$$ex ( it's true ).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/05 at 10:45 am

Whoever is the head of the FCC need to pull their head out of their a$$ and realize that a few curse words with not ruin America's people. The government is already doing that with all their other policies.

The FCC WAS headed by Michael Powell-son of Colin Powell (ex-Sec. of State). But, Michael has stepped down and I'm not too sure who runs it now. But it was under Michael's watch that a lot of these stupid rules were implemented.

DOWN WITH CENSORSHIP!!!!

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/21/05 at 11:50 am

The FCC is a conservative organization anyways. Even if they do away with Powell's rules, I'm sure they'lll be more idiotic one to follow. ::)

The FCC WAS headed by Michael Powell-son of Colin Powell (ex-Sec. of State). But, Michael has stepped down and I'm not too sure who runs it now. But it was under Michael's watch that a lot of these stupid rules were implemented.

DOWN WITH CENSORSHIP!!!!

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 12:01 pm

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that the FCC basically has no jurisdiction over cable channels, it's the cable company that decides what's "appropriate".  It's only those radio/tv stations you can get for "free" that they can do anything about.
No, they are the ones who came up with the "Blackout" law in the late 80's or early 90's. If I want to watch the Denver affiliate for ABC, I'm not allowed if I can recieve my local ABC for free ::)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 12:49 pm

I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that the FCC basically has no jurisdiction over cable channels, it's the cable company that decides what's "appropriate".  It's only those radio/tv stations you can get for "free" that they can do anything about.

Well, I cannot comment on that for sure. I know that Howard Stern got fined for something he said, yet Oprah did not for basically the same thing ( I don't have time to google it ).

The bottom line is I don't want " Big Brother " telling me what is innapropriate language.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 1:15 pm

Well, I cannot comment on that for sure. I know that Howard Stern got fined for something he said, yet Oprah did not for basically the same thing ( I don't have time to google it ).

The bottom line is I don't want " Big Brother " telling me what is innapropriate language.
http://www.thewaterglass.net/archives/000607.html  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/05 at 1:34 pm

I agree. I am an adult and I can decide for myself what I want to watch/hear and what I don't want to.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 1:45 pm

I agree. I am an adult and I can decide for myself what I want to watch/hear and what I don't want to.

Cat
I agree but don't think it's fair for people who broke the rules, such as Oprah, to get away with it because of her "Stature"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/05 at 2:03 pm

I agree but don't think it's fair for people who broke the rules, such as Oprah, to get away with it because of her "Stature"

Which means that this all has a political spin to it, doesn't it? "We don't like this person so we are going to fine him/her. But, this person is ok in our book so we are not going to fine him/her." So it not a matter of WHAT is being said but WHO is doing the saying.  It really sucks!

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 2:18 pm

Which means that this all has a political spin to it, doesn't it? "We don't like this person so we are going to fine him/her. But, this person is ok in our book so we are not going to fine him/her." So it not a matter of WHAT is being said but WHO is doing the saying.  It really sucks!

Cat
Yes it does. I'm not a huge fan of Howard Stern or Oprah but think that they should both be treated as equals.

Check for new replies or respond here...