inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The McDonaldization of Music

Written By: Everlong on 04/20/05 at 11:08 pm

I was reading this book that I found in my locker called the McDonaldization of Society today.  And it got me to thinking.  Music, mainstream music, is no longer simply music- it's a whole production of performance, acting, makeup, etc.

Back in the 60s or 70s, although most bands did have a distinct performing style or even a 'look', their music carried itself, and was a seperate and completely self-supporting entity.  In lamest terms, the sh!t was good.  Musicians (maybe besides Mick Jagger) didn't have to put on elaborate set-ups, dance routines, theatrics, and the like, to entertain and please their audience.

Now it's a different story.  With MTV and the ever-popularity of music videos, performers now don't seem to worry about their music, as much as how they look, how they act, and the way they move.  Their main goal seems to be to overwhelm the viewer with false beauty (make-up, skimpy clothing), complicated dancing, entertaining story lines, and so on, so that by the time you're immersed in your viewing, you forget that the main purpose was for them to market their music, and that in reality, if these performers were simply standing there in a white room with no make up, and plain clothing, the music would really be dismal and lackluster.  Pop culture today is trying to distort our views on music- no longer is it as important for the perfomer to have inate musical talent, as much as it is for that person to be able to be cute, to act, and to dance, and with synthesizers and the like, it's hard to see any fine lines of reality.  Music has become a circus aiming to delight us with terrific theatrics while the truth of the matter is that the actually quality of it has really declined, and could never stand on its own two feet.

Subject: Re: The McDonaldization of Music

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/20/05 at 11:31 pm

I agree that MOST music today is without it's own identity....unles sucking is an identity. BTW, the guy in your avatar understood what life is about and wrote some wonderful stuff that described it to perfection ;)

Written By: Everlong on 04/20/05 at 11:46 pm

BTW, the guy in your avatar understood what life is about and wrote some wonderful stuff that described it to perfection

Word :D.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/20/05 at 11:54 pm

Word :D.
;) Though I loved ALL The Beatles...George was the most "Spiritual" :)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 12:43 am

I was reading this book that I found in my locker called the McDonaldization of Society today.  And it got me to thinking.  Music, mainstream music, is no longer simply music- it's a whole production of performance, acting, makeup, etc.

Back in the 60s or 70s, although most bands did have a distinct performing style or even a 'look', their music carried itself, and was a seperate and completely self-supporting entity.  In lamest terms, the sh!t was good.  Musicians (maybe besides Mick Jagger) didn't have to put on elaborate set-ups, dance routines, theatrics, and the like, to entertain and please their audience.

Now it's a different story.  With MTV and the ever-popularity of music videos, performers now don't seem to worry about their music, as much as how they look, how they act, and the way they move.  Their main goal seems to be to overwhelm the viewer with false beauty (make-up, skimpy clothing), complicated dancing, entertaining story lines, and so on, so that by the time you're immersed in your viewing, you forget that the main purpose was for them to market their music, and that in reality, if these performers were simply standing there in a white room with no make up, and plain clothing, the music would really be dismal and lackluster.  Pop culture today is trying to distort our views on music- no longer is it as important for the perfomer to have inate musical talent, as much as it is for that person to be able to be cute, to act, and to dance, and with synthesizers and the like, it's hard to see any fine lines of reality.  Music has become a circus aiming to delight us with terrific theatrics while the truth of the matter is that the actually quality of it has really declined, and could never stand on its own two feet.

WOW! This is EXACTLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT TODAY's " MUSIC "!! No need to quote any of this or elaborate because you nailed it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/05 at 4:36 am

I tend to agree. The singer is becoming greater than the song. Even in the early 70s, when theatrics was at its height Ziggy Stardust, Alice Cooper, Slade.etc still produced very good music in addition to the gaudy costumes and routines.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/21/05 at 9:12 am

McDonaldization????????????  More llike Wal Martization! ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/21/05 at 9:46 am

I agree that MOST music today is without it's own identity....unles sucking is an identity. BTW, the guy in your avatar understood what life is about and wrote some wonderful stuff that described it to perfection ;)

No.... sucking is an indentity!  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 11:57 am

No.... sucking is an indentity!  ;D
;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 11:58 am

It's also been the McDonadization of culture here in America. They use ads that promote kids partying all night, going for a breakfast at "Mickey Dees" and then sleeping all day...Yo :P

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 12:53 pm

McDonaldization????????????  More llike Wal Martization! ;)

Well both are valid points, but McDonald's Slogan " I'm lovin' it " when spelled without contractions is an anagram for " ailing vomit ", which is a fitting slogan for most music today as well as McD's " food ". ;D ;D ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/21/05 at 1:13 pm

Well both are valid points, but McDonald's Slogan " I'm lovin' it " when spelled without contractions is an anagram for " ailing vomit ", which is a fitting slogan for most music today as well as McD's " food ". ;D ;D ;D
;DAs well as thier ad campaigns :P

Written By: Everlong on 04/22/05 at 4:51 am

I just thought of that name because the book that made me think about this was the McDonaldization of Society, by George Ritzer, but that's another great point Red Ant :D.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/22/05 at 4:57 am

Really? I made a great point? Somebody agrees with me? Today I am going to play the lottery and win big as the odds of someone saying that to me are greater than the odds of winning the lottery!!

Just kidding. Thank you. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...