inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Membership Cards

Written By: texasairman on 04/28/05 at 9:17 am

How many membership cards are in your wallet (and I don't mean "credit cards"). Every place you go, they want you to take a membership and carry a card - Sam's Clubs, Kroger, Randalls, Barnes and Noble, Walden Books, Blockbuster Video, and the list goes on and on! At least, Hollywood Video stopped the madness. They use a very exclusive card - your drivers license! Wow, how low tech can you get!?! I finally decided to quit carrying all the cards. I think we should all ban the stupid things, as they can simply use our drivers license anyway. Of course, now, many places are going to fingerprint readers. George Orwell would be proud! Smile, you're on candid spy camera!

Subject: Re: Membership Cards

Written By: danootaandme on 04/28/05 at 9:46 am

I had a bunch of them until my pocket book was lifted a couple of weeks ago.  Now I have had time to think about it and decided I can get along without most of them.  I go to a local video store where they know me, I don't tend to use any of the cards they give you even if you don't want them, and forget that finger printing stuff.  To many are being lulled into the use of cards that track everything you buy and everyplace you go.
You know the ones from the supermarket, have some fun and randomly exchange them with people who are willing. I would like to see that on a wide scale basis to really screw up the marketing people. It has gotten way out of hand

Written By: karen on 04/28/05 at 9:55 am

I have loyalty cards for 3 stores.  Sainsbury's, Tescos and Boots.  I don't rent video's so don't have a Blockbusters card.

At least, Hollywood Video stopped the madness. They use a very exclusive card - your drivers license! Wow, how low tech can you get!?! I finally decided to quit carrying all the cards. I think we should all ban the stupid things, as they can simply use our drivers license anyway.

What about those who don't drive?  Are they just not allowed a life?

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/28/05 at 10:12 am

Game (Formerly Electronics Boutique)
WH Smith
Barnes & Noble - Although they wouldn't accept it when i used it in London
Nectar (Sainsburys, Debenhams, Some gas Stations)
Safeway (I don't know if it counts now they have been bought out)
O2 - Cell Phone Top Up Card (You earn rewards for useing the special card)

Some more but those are the ones i had in my wallet

Written By: Stompgal on 04/28/05 at 3:15 pm

Fitness First
Boots Advantage Card
WH Smith Club Card
Jelly Belly Taste Bud Club UK card (Never in my purse)

Written By: Marian on 04/28/05 at 3:37 pm

Safeway,Rasputin Music,Tower records,Albertson's,PW Super

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/28/05 at 4:34 pm

Here's my list:
Stop N Shop - From Massachusetts
Pathmark
Subway - with four sandwich stamps
Hollywood Video
Village Voice - (even newspapers have cards)
Kinko's - I used to use the computers and copiers alot
Several Metrocards - For the Subway

and obviously being a videogame fiend

EB Value card  and a Gamestop Value Card

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/28/05 at 8:55 pm

AMC Movie Watcher
Petro Canada Petro Points
Blockbuster
Oakville Public Library
Playdium Play Card
Rogers Video

Check for new replies or respond here...