inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question about gas prices (was just wondering what your thoughts might be)

Written By: Circus on 04/28/05 at 10:45 am

Lately, gas prices have been increasing as we all know, I was just wondering:

1)  How many of you drive, and rely on your personal vehicle in order to operate on a daily basis?

*If you answered no to question one, I ask you to give your thoughts on the following questions regardless.

2)  If there were to be a nationwide strike in response to our current gas prices, how many of you would be willing to convene and participate in such an event?  Why or why not?

3)  What do you think is a reasonable price to pay per gallon for the grade of gas you use?

Subject: Re: Question about gas prices (was just wondering what your thoughts might be)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/05 at 11:13 am

Hi there...

Yes, I rely on my vehicle for transportation daily....my husband and I only have 1 vehicle.....so I have to drive him to work....in order to have a vehicle during the day...and then pick him back up....

I would probably participate in a strike for a few days....but not if it was an elongated process...it just wouldn't be feasible for us and our situation.

I remember when I started to drive (about 12 years ago)....the prices were under a dollar a gallon....I was very happy with that....I would even be content if they were at like $1.25/gallon....but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Erin :)

Subject: Re: Question about gas prices (was just wondering what your thoughts might be)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 04/28/05 at 10:41 pm

I remember my senior year in high school, 1994, it was like 1.01 a gallon...now its 2.05$ a gallon...CRAZY!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/29/05 at 1:30 pm

I remember my senior year in high school, 1994, it was like 1.01 a gallon...now its 2.05$ a gallon...CRAZY!

sh*t back in the day it was  like .79 here  (Oklahoma ya know...)  now it's already up to $2 and still going    some people r saying though that in some smaller towns its still like 1.79......must be nice

Written By: Kenlos on 04/29/05 at 2:25 pm

1. Yes I do drive though not really on a daily basis, pretty close though.

2. I doubt it, there are certian times when you just have to go someplace and plus I highly doubt even a nation wide strike would change prices.

3. Well since I have to use premium in my car as long as it is am around $1.50 or lower a gallon I do not complain to much but now I am paying a min. of $2.20 a gallon for premium, cost me about $30 to fill the tank up.

Wish we could go back to the early 90s when I remember seeing gas for as low as .69 cents a gallon.

The people who make the hybrid cars are probably loving these prices.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/29/05 at 2:27 pm

sh*t back in the day it was  like .79 here   (Oklahoma ya know...)   now it's already up to $2 and still going    some people r saying though that in some smaller towns its still like 1.79......must be nice

here in Ohio too it got about that low, sometime in the late '90s when the economy was good. When I was in California in 2000 gas was about $1.90 there and I thought that was very expensive.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/30/05 at 6:07 pm

1)  How many of you drive, and rely on your personal vehicle in order to operate on a daily basis?

I do drive everywhere, but since I live in the NY metro area, I always have public transport to fall back on.

2)  If there were to be a nationwide strike in response to our current gas prices, how many of you would be willing to convene and participate in such an event?  Why or why not?

I'd be willing to refrain from driving unless I was leaving the city.

3)  What do you think is a reasonable price to pay per gallon for the grade of gas you use?

I really don't know enough to answer this, but I sure as hell know it ain't $2.65 for regular.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/01/05 at 12:01 am

America has it good on gas prices. Ask other countries what their prices are on gasoline ( in general they pay 2-4 times as much per currency exchanged dollar ). Yes, it's about 2.25 a gallon on the East Coast. I have always used smaller/more efficient vehicles, but will NEVER buy a hybrid as if you keep it and something breaks after the warranty you will fork over and arm a leg and possible your first-born child for the repairs.

If you can afford a $40,000+ Suv/truck/RV/luxury car do not cry about the fact it gets 6-14 miles to the gallon. Suck it up.

Amazing is the fact that my 1993 Chevy S-10 with a 4.3 liter V-6 ( stick shift ) got 23/27 MPG and a 2005 S-10 with a 4 cylinder with MUCH better engine efficiency gets like 17/22.

What baffles me a bit is that oil is located, drilled, pumped, piped, distilled, refined, shipped, stored,tranferred, distributed, marketed and then finally pumped into your vehicle as gasoline for roughly $2.00 a gallon ( coming halfway around the world nearly on its way - most oil does not come from the U.S. ) whereas milk from cows 200 miles from my house is $4.00 a gallon. I know it is spoilable and needs refrigeration ( and most importantly must be safe to drink ) but I do not consider even $3.00 a gallon for gasoline excessive ( NOT that I would want to pay that ).

Bottled water is even more ridiculous. Some of the name brands only go through some type of osmosis filtering and cost more than a dollar per 16 oz bottle. That is over $10 a gallon for FREAKING WATER!!!

If they discover oil in China I'm sure we could get it for 30 cents a gallon but would probably blow up your car like running Pemex gas in Mexico will cause engine problems. ;D ( I think their octane is around 82 or so ).

It is just a matter of perspective. I remember here it was 69 cents a gallon for a while. Also, in the original movie " Die Hard ", when the cop is leaving the station I believe the sign says like 79 cents.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/25/06 at 9:34 am

Latest petrol prices in the UK have crept up to 99.9p per litre - why don't they just say

Written By: Jessica on 07/25/06 at 9:40 am

Latest petrol prices in the UK have crept up to 99.9p per litre - why don't they just say

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/25/06 at 9:49 am

Ummm....our gas prices run about $3.11 a gallon in my part of the country. So we aren't really that far behind you. And not all of use drive those stupid gas guzzling cars. We own a VW Jetta, which gets about 37 miles to a gallon. A hybrid would have been better, but at the time of purchase, we couldn't really afford anything beyond the VW. :P

Blimey I didn't realise petrol was that much over there, this damned war has really caused prices to escalate imo
VW are really good on consumption, that is the only foreign car brand I've ever seen in the US alongside US makes

Written By: Jessica on 07/25/06 at 9:52 am

Blimey I didn't realise petrol was that much over there, this damned war has really caused prices to escalate imo
VW are really good on consumption, that is the only foreign car brand I've ever seen in the US alongside US makes

Oh yes. Before we left California, it was at about $3.30 a gallon. So it cost us a small fortune to drive across the country to our new place.

And the VW is a great car, although we had a bit of trouble with her after we got here. Personally, I think she was just p*ssed that we made her drive that far in hot weather to a place where the humidity sucks. ;D

Written By: karen on 07/25/06 at 10:06 am

Just done a quick conversion and 99.9 p per litre is nearly $7 per US gallon

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/25/06 at 11:57 am

Oh yes. Before we left California, it was at about $3.30 a gallon. So it cost us a small fortune to drive across the country to our new place.

And the VW is a great car, although we had a bit of trouble with her after we got here. Personally, I think she was just p*ssed that we made her drive that far in hot weather to a place where the humidity sucks. ;D

still those VW's run forever and ever

Written By: Mushroom on 07/25/06 at 1:24 pm

Lately, gas prices have been increasing as we all know, I was just wondering:

1.  I drive 2 vehicles.  My car is a 1997 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.0 liter engine.  I mostly drive that when it is bad weather, or I have to carry something.  My normal transportation is a Honda CB900F Super Sport motorcycle.  I go through an average of $5-10 a week in premium between both vehicles.

2.  No, because they are pointless.  People simply shift their buying to the days before or after the "strike".  If you want to make a difference, stop buying gasoline alltogether, or use transportation that uses noticeably less gasoline then you do now.  Personally, I have no pitty for the people that drive around in huge SUVs or trucks.  After all, they are the ones that stupidly bought a gas pig in the first place.

3.  Well, that is not in my control, neither is it in the control of the gas companies.  Gasoline is a comodity, just like corn, wheat, and Orange Juice.  The price of gasoline is set on the comodities markets, and the producers and importers simply have to fallow along with what the market demands.

A decade or so ago, we had some record low gas prices.  I even remember in the early 1990's when it was as low as 79 cents a gallon.  And I bet nobody was bitching then.  But we also had several companies on the verge of bankruptcy (Texaco, Exxon, Gulf-Western, Connoco).  In fact, some of those companies are no longer with us anymore, having been bought out by a foreign company, BP.  They were sometimes even selling gasoline at a loss, because the price on the commodity markets was so low.

If you really want to break the stranglehold on import oil, you have to increase the domestic supply.  In the last 15 years our use has increased over 35%.  And at the same time, our imports have increased by even more.  We have had no oil fields developed in over 20 years, and many of the ones we had are no longer in use for various reasons.

To make it worse, we have had no new refinieries built in almost 20 years.  For the last several years, the refineries that we do have are working at maximum production, and still can't keep up.  This has lead to the need to import not just crude oil, but gasoline itself.  And as everybody should know, it is more expensive to import a finished product then it is to import the raw material.

If you want to blame somebody for the high cost of gasoline, talk to countries like Venexuela, and the speculators that drive up the price on the commodities markets, hoping to make a buck.  And of course the vanity people who just can't live with an economical car, so buy Hummers and Ford Expeditions.

Check for new replies or respond here...