inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Lazy have we become?

Written By: Harmonica on 05/02/05 at 12:52 am

Here's a rant for you....

I've about had it with going into Wal Mart Parking lots and seeing shopping carts scattered about because people we too damn lazy to put them where they belong.  How hard is it to walk from your car to the holding area for carts and shove it into there.  What is so hard about that?

This isn't the only place I've seen the laziness of people.  I've seen it all over, but enough examples.

Subject: Re: How Lazy have we become?

Written By: Climber on 05/02/05 at 1:59 am

I've noticed that Wal-Mart tends to put the cart corrals closer to the fronts of their buildings.  Not to defend the cart deserters, but it can be a hassle, especially in bad weather with a baby, having to walk almost back to the store to put the d*** cart away!  (That's my rant!  ;D)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/05 at 5:53 am

First I will say that I do not enter a Wal-Mart, and if that should happen it will only be under duress.
I (usually) return my cart, but I remember when that was a good job for a high school kid, carrying bundles to the cars, getting the carts from the parking lot, keeping the parking lot clean. Now they are replacing the checkout people with self service check-out, and self-service bagging.  I refuse to do those things because I don't work for them and I believe that it is stealing someones job.  Considering what these corporations pay upper management they can at least pay someone to ring the stuff in and bag it, and maybe pay a kid to keep the parking lot up to snuff.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/05 at 7:21 am

People have been leaving carts anywhere since I was a kid.  People have always been lazy, I don't think it is new.  (I try to park close to a corral so I don't have to walk far, but I always bring the cart back.  It is common courtesy.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/02/05 at 9:26 am

First I will say that I do not enter a Wal-Mart, and if that should happen it will only be under duress.
I (usually) return my cart, but I remember when that was a good job for a high school kid, carrying bundles to the cars, getting the carts from the parking lot, keeping the parking lot clean. Now they are replacing the checkout people with self service check-out, and self-service bagging.  I refuse to do those things because I don't work for them and I believe that it is stealing someones job.  Considering what these corporations pay upper management they can at least pay someone to ring the stuff in and bag it, and maybe pay a kid to keep the parking lot up to snuff.

I agree with you on the bagging and check out lines. I also agree that a kid should have the full job of being in the parking lot.

However, I do not excuse getting a humongous dent in my car due to the fact that someone was to lazy to walk from there car to the holding area for carts.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/02/05 at 9:27 am

I've noticed that Wal-Mart tends to put the cart corrals closer to the fronts of their buildings.  Not to defend the cart deserters, but it can be a hassle, especially in bad weather with a baby, having to walk almost back to the store to put the d*** cart away!  (That's my rant!  ;D)

It's one thing to have a kid strapped to your waist on a blizzardly cold afternoon, and another thing to have it 80 degrees outside and your just plain too lazy.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/02/05 at 9:27 am

People have been leaving carts anywhere since I was a kid.  People have always been lazy, I don't think it is new.  (I try to park close to a corral so I don't have to walk far, but I always bring the cart back.  It is common courtesy.

I'll agree to a certain extint, but I say MORE people are lazy today.

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/02/05 at 9:40 am

Here's a rant for you....

I've about had it with going into Wal Mart Parking lots and seeing shopping carts scattered about because people we too darn lazy to put them where they belong.  How hard is it to walk from your car to the holding area for carts and shove it into there.  What is so hard about that?

This isn't the only place I've seen the laziness of people.  I've seen it all over, but enough examples.

its like that here in the u.k to

Written By: Climber on 05/02/05 at 11:26 am

It's one thing to have a kid strapped to your waist on a blizzardly cold afternoon, and another thing to have it 80 degrees outside and your just plain too lazy.

I've only left my cart once or twice, and only because it was bad weather.  If it's nice out, I don't mind walking back to put it away.  It would just be nice if Wal-Mart (and other stores!) would put cart corrals farther out in the lots for those bad weather days.   :)

BTW, I live in Minnesota, so there are a lot of "blizzardly cold afternoons", even in spring and fall.  Today is May 2, and it's about 25 degrees f, and yesterday we had sleet and snow.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/05 at 11:35 am

I try and avois Wal-Mart...I try to give as much patronage as I can to Denver Based King Soopers. When me and my family lived in our house from 1988-2003 I often would find carts blocks from the store, so we'd load them up and take them back :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/05 at 11:41 am

A detail of my supermarket bagger job at fifteen was collecting the carriages from the parking lot.  We called it "chariot chasing."  Corrals for shopping carts were non-existent until about ten years ago. 
I remember one market in my home town was perched at the top of a hill leading into the town square.  The occasional stray shopping cart would roll out of the lot, down route 13, and collide with a car!
Americans are lazier than most people in the world because we can be lazier!  I always remembered my 8th grade history teacher, a Vietnam vet, talking about these 80-pound Vietnamese women in the village juggling five children, livestock, produce, and baskets of rice that weighed as much as the women themselves did!  Americans (and Western Europeans) have very low-exertion, high-leisure lives compared the rest of humanity.  For many decades we've been told be advertisers that our lives are too hard, and we are entitled to even less effort and even more luxury. "Calgon take me away!"  I mean, good grief!
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/05 at 11:44 am

I agree with you here-but unfortunately I have enter a Wal-Mart a few times (because I was with friends who would shop there) but I have NEVER, EVER bought anything-nor will I.

As for carts, sometimes I do bring them back but sometimes I don't.  When I do, I will always put them in between parking spots-so they do not block the spot if someone wants to park there or so it won't roll into someone else's car.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/05 at 11:52 am

I agree with you here-but unfortunately I have enter a Wal-Mart a few times (because I was with friends who would shop there) but I have NEVER, EVER bought anything-nor will I.

As for carts, sometimes I do bring them back but sometimes I don't.  When I do, I will always put them in between parking spots-so they do not block the spot if someone wants to park there or so it won't roll into someone else's car.

Cat

I generally don't go to Wal-Mart because there's very little there I want to buy there.  Sometimes I go in there for CD-Rs or a cheap household appliance.  I resent that my friends who are single (like me) berate their friends who have families for shopping at Wal-Mart.  We single guys have the luxury of not having to meet a family budget.  I tell them to imagine living on their current salaries with three children to bring up.  They'd be going to Wal-Mart alright!

Written By: Climber on 05/02/05 at 12:13 pm

I generally don't go to Wal-Mart because there's very little there I want to buy there.  Sometimes I go in there for CD-Rs or a cheap household appliance.  I resent that my friends who are single (like me) berate their friends who have families for shopping at Wal-Mart.  We single guys have the luxury of not having to meet a family budget.  I tell them to imagine living on their current salaries with three children to bring up.  They'd be going to Wal-Mart alright!

That's exactly why I shop at Wal-Mart.  Cereal there is almost half the price of our local supermarket.  Don't get me wrong, I do the bulk of grocery shopping at the local one, but when I do go to Wal-Mart, I stock up on what I can.

Speaking of lazy, what about the people who spend so much time driving around the lots looking for a close parking spot, when they might have been in & out in that time.  It's not like we can't use the exercise...  I used to do that, but there's no point.  It's a waste of time, money and gas.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/05 at 12:40 pm

Cat
I have purchased some things there...when my ex-wife worked there but after ahe quit we never went back.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/02/05 at 1:04 pm

Same here.  When there are no cart corrals, I have to admit that I have left the carts in the lot, but I usually try to leave them somewhere they won't blow into someone's car.  I just have a problem with leaving my kids in the car by themselves or dragging them back through the parking lot so I can take the cart all the way back up to the store if I'm parked near the end of the lot.  Although, I DO have to say that most of the stores around here are pretty good about always having someone out in the parking lot to clean up the carts.  Our Jewels even have kids who will take the groceries out to the car and load them in for you.

Community run Hy-Vee's have those people that go out to your car with you.  Aldi I think it is has it where you get a number and drive your car up right next to the store and the boys...in this day in age sometimes girls...load them into your car.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/05 at 1:09 pm

Community run Hy-Vee's have those people that go out to your car with you.  Aldi I think it is has it where you get a number and drive your car up right next to the store and the boys...in this day in age sometimes girls...load them into your car.
They have a Hy-Vee where my brother lives in Norfolk, Nebraska....I've always liked going there when I visit him :)

Written By: Harmonica on 05/02/05 at 3:12 pm

Our Aldi's don't.  You have to pay a deposit to take a cart so if you don't take it back, you don't get your deposit back ::)

The 25 cents will add up for that donut or cigarettes or coffee they plan on buying a little while later. 

Written By: zcrito on 05/02/05 at 5:23 pm

You want to talk about shopping carts, what about litter? Is it just my imagination or has the amount and occurrence of litter increased each year?
It's all over the place. I've seen people just dump things out of their cars like the world was their private garbage can. One person was even driving a Volvo.

I'm sure there are better ways to judge a person than as to whether or not they returned a shopping cart, but when you litter it tells me a whole lot more.

Where I live they now have people walking down the interstates picking up the trash on the sides. I've never seen this before until last year. It doesn't matter because within two months it's all back again.

Written By: Harmonica on 05/02/05 at 10:41 pm

You want to talk about shopping carts, what about litter? Is it just my imagination or has the amount and occurrence of litter increased each year?
It's all over the place. I've seen people just dump things out of their cars like the world was their private <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=garbage%20can" onmouseover="window.status='garbage can'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">garbage can</a>. One person was even driving a Volvo.

I'm sure there are better ways to judge a person than as to whether or not they returned a <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=shopping%20cart" onmouseover="window.status='shopping cart'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">shopping cart</a>, but when you litter it tells me a whole lot more.

Where I live they now have people walking down the interstates picking up the trash on the sides. I've never seen this before until last year. It doesn't matter because within two months it's all back again.

Littering is a major problem a major problem.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/02/05 at 10:43 pm

It's all over the place. I've seen people just dump things out of their cars like the world was their private garbage can. One person was even driving a Volvo.

I'm sure there are better ways to judge a person than as to whether or not they returned a shopping cart, but when you litter it tells me a whole lot more.

What about cigarette butts. LOTS of inconsiderate smokers flick them anywher and everywhere! We had the worst fire in history here a few years ago "Haymen" and though it wasn't started by wayward butts, firemen found a ton of them during cleanup :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/02/05 at 11:39 pm

That's exactly why I shop at Wal-Mart.  Cereal there is almost half the price of our local supermarket.  Don't get me wrong, I do the bulk of grocery shopping at the local one, but when I do go to Wal-Mart, I stock up on what I can.

Speaking of lazy, what about the people who spend so much time driving around the lots looking for a close parking spot, when they might have been in & out in that time.  It's not like we can't use the exercise...  I used to do that, but there's no point.  It's a waste of time, money and gas.   :)

I notice that, too, about the parking lots.  I think I got used to parking in urban areas where you expect to have to walk a few blocks.  Same thing at the universities where permits are oversubscribed, and any space remotely convenient is reserved for faculty and bureaucrats!  When I go to the mall I get psyched just to see an abundance of empty spaces no matter how far afield they are!  I walk, they circle!

Check for new replies or respond here...