inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie centre of a Tootsie Pop?

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/06/05 at 8:58 pm

???

Subject: Re: How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie centre of a Tootsie Pop?

Written By: circumcision boy on 05/06/05 at 9:03 pm

approximately 5,922 licks.

Subject: Re: How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie centre of a Tootsie Pop?

Written By: AL-B on 05/06/05 at 9:07 pm

Oh, come on now!  Don't you remember the commercials with the wise old owl? Everyone knows it's 3! 
http://www.4antennaball.com/bin/img/product/0080316_tootsie_pop_lollipop_owl_antenna_topper_ball_candy_lick.jpg

("One, two-hoo, thu-ree!" *CRUNCH!* Three!")  ;)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/06/05 at 9:10 pm

Oh, come on now!  Don't you remember the commercials with the wise old owl? Everyone knows it's 3! 
http://www.4antennaball.com/bin/img/product/0080316_tootsie_pop_lollipop_owl_antenna_topper_ball_candy_lick.jpg

Yeah, but that's just a cartoon commercial.

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/06/05 at 9:12 pm

I actually counted in junior high, and I got through at least with a few more than 500 licks.

Written By: AL-B on 05/06/05 at 9:19 pm

Yeah, but that's just a cartoon commercial.
Hey, I was satisfied with the owl's answer.  ;D

Written By: saver on 05/07/05 at 3:40 pm

:-X you must take into account the saliva output in conjuction with the tounge dimensions and divide by the pop circumference with concideration of the mass of the 'tootsie nugget' encased.

You will get different answers from kids and grown ups. :o

If anyone else recalls...The owl only counted 3 as the pop was bitten to reach the center.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/05 at 3:54 pm

:-X you must take into account the saliva output in conjuction with the tounge dimensions and divide by the pop circumference with concideration of the mass of the 'tootsie nugget' encased.

You will get different answers from kids and grown ups. :o

If anyone else recalls...The owl only counted 3 as the pop was bitten to reach the center.
I always found the owls calculation to be correct...at least for me ;)

Written By: Kyle on 05/07/05 at 4:06 pm

;D Sounds like Sesame Street to me!  The number 3 is brought to you by Tootsie Pops, and the NFL, which is a proud sponsor of Super Bowl 40!  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/05 at 10:17 am

I'm gonna go with 3.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 10:28 am

What is a Tootsie Pop?

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/08/05 at 4:00 pm

What is a Tootsie Pop?

A yummy, delicious, sweet, teeth-rotting treat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/05 at 4:00 pm

A yummy, delicious, sweet, teeth-rotting treat.
Something tells me, that I do not wish to know now.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/05 at 10:27 pm

It is a lollipop with a tootsie roll at the center, Philip.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/05 at 2:08 am

It is a lollipop with a tootsie roll at the center, Philip.
Then again, what is a tootsie roll?

Written By: Kryllith on 05/09/05 at 8:59 am

Don't think I ever really licked them. I mean, come on, it's a sucker. You lose a lot of taste if you're just licking it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/09/05 at 9:54 am

For me it's at least 40 or more.

Written By: bj26 on 05/09/05 at 11:21 am

Then again, what is a tootsie roll?
lol, good one Phil, you probably also don't know what a Hershey Bar is ;)

Anyway, there are too many licking techniques to define which one can get you to the center faster or slower :P
http://www.tootsie.com/image-sb/licks/howmany7.jpg    http://www.tootsie.com/image-sb/licks/howmany9.jpg  How many licks?  The world may never know.

Written By: gemini61 on 05/09/05 at 4:35 pm

Check this out! We might finally get the answer  ;D 

http://www.gagworks.com/browseproducts/Tootsie-Pop-Lick-O-meter.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/05 at 4:48 pm

Now own up those that brought on of these?

Written By: darktower on 05/25/05 at 2:24 pm

Whe we were kids, my brother got there in 396. :P

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/14/05 at 7:37 pm

Woah!! Sweet!!!!!!  :D

~Beth

Written By: saver on 06/14/05 at 8:21 pm

Now we have an IDEA: But as I always said..the world may never know...EVEN THEY SAID IT!!!

We are aware of three studies that have been conducted. Each group contacted us to inform us of the results of their experiments:
A group of engineering students from Purdue University recorded that their licking machine, modeled after a human tongue, took an average of 364 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. They tried the same licking test on 20 volunteers and found that the average licks to the center were 252 licks.

Plans for the Purdue licking machine

A chemical engineering doctorate student from the University of Michigan recorded that his licking machine required an average of 411 licks per Tootsie Pop.
A group of students at Swathmore School used human lickers in a scientific experiment and determined it took an average of 144 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Junior high students at Swarthmore School conducting their study in sweets

Based on the wide range of results from these scientific studies, it is clear that the world may never know how many licks it really takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop.

Written By: saver on 06/14/05 at 10:24 pm

Looks like everyone gets a new answer!

They can find a cow that has a disease and which stall it lives in, who it's children are and pinpoint its exact location and who it had contact with and yet the world can't figure the same answer for the question posed here...I was emailed this older result:

Tootsie Roll Pops
how many licks to get to the center:from geocities.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics:
Boys Total Mean: 1239, Total Median: 1246, Total Range: 764-1891, Total Standard Deviation: 399.37
Trial #1 - Mean: 1228, Median: 1233, Range: 764-1891, Standard Deviation: 441.8
Trial #2 - Mean: 1250, Median: 1259, Range - 887-1887, Standard Deviation: 404.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/05 at 2:02 am

I dunno, I always masticated the shell and then had to pick all that sticky sweet gunk out of my teeth!
;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/05 at 2:16 am

I have never had the the pleasure of ever  licking a tootsie centre of a Tootsie Pop!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/05 at 3:17 am

Tootsie Pops are awful anyway.  Tootsie Rolls rock!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/05 at 9:14 am

Tootsie Pops are awful anyway.  Tootsie Rolls rock!
I will bear that in mind whenever I come across one.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/15/05 at 5:38 pm

Oh I could go on and on with this one but I would probably end up banned for life ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/05 at 5:41 pm

Oh I could go on and on with this one but I would probably end up banned for life ::)

Are you insinuating something about Philip's choice of verbage?
Shame on you!
:P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/15/05 at 7:29 pm

I used to love Tootsie Pops....but Type 2 Diabetes ended that!

Written By: NullandVoid on 06/15/05 at 8:12 pm

I don't know about licks, but after sucking for about seven minutes it gave way.

Written By: Guiness on 06/16/05 at 2:34 pm

I don't know about licks, but after sucking for about seven minutes it gave way.

Depends how big your tung is, and how much spit you generate.

Written By: DJDiG on 06/21/05 at 2:30 pm

3  duh! ;)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/06/05 at 10:54 pm

It took me 1,114 licks. :o

Written By: Watcher29 on 07/11/05 at 1:10 pm

My wife said when she was a kid she counted how many licks it took, and sent off her answer to the people that make Tootsie Rolls. They sent her back a piggy bank full of Tootsie Rolls. She still has the bank, only now it houses her penny collection.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/12/05 at 4:40 am

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/12/05 at 10:15 am

It depends on hw I feel that day!  ;)

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...