inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: House MD... anyone else watching this?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/11/05 at 12:09 pm

Hugh Laurie is the lead character, and for those anglophiles out there who are familiar with the most excellent Black Adder, you should recognize him (even though he doesn't have a noticable accent in this series).  I ignored this series at first, but stumbled on it a few months ago, and absolutely love the show.  More for the character than the medical drama aspect of the show. 

The House character is really refreshing to see on television, he's brutally honest and non-PC.  He hates his patients, but loves to cure the diseases.  Reminds me a bit of a previous doctor I had really.  There's also a great gallows-type of humour underlying the show, I probably laugh harder during this show than some of the sitcoms I end up watching.

Subject: Re: House MD... anyone else watching this?

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/11/05 at 12:43 pm

Haven't seen it and don't care to.  I see all the previews when I'm watching American Idol and it just looks stupid.

Written By: Return of Jessica on 05/11/05 at 12:52 pm

Haven't seen it and don't care to.   I see all the previews when I'm watching American Idol and it just looks stupid.

Yes, because American Idol is so much MORE interesting. I don't know why I'm even watching that stupid show. I think being a mother has warped my brain. Anyways...

I watch House religiously. Hugh Laurie is great as usual. It's fantastic to see a show on television that doesn't revolve around reality cr*p.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/11/05 at 1:21 pm

Haven't seen it and don't care to.  I see all the previews when I'm watching American Idol and it just looks stupid.

hey, that's exactly how I feel about American Idol! 

I wonder if people really believe they're picking the singers due to their votes still?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/11/05 at 1:41 pm

hey, that's exactly how I feel about American Idol! 

I wonder if people really believe they're picking the singers due to their votes still?
;DSame here!  I love House and have been watching since the 1st episode. I've only seen highlights of American Idol and don't care to waste my time with it :-\\

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/11/05 at 3:46 pm

That show is okay. I'm just wandering why House is such a D---.

Written By: Return of Jessica on 05/11/05 at 4:28 pm

That show is okay. I'm just wandering why House is such a D---.

Apparently we're supposed to find out in the next episode.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/11/05 at 5:31 pm

House is my favorite show on TV right now (except for Arrested Development, which appears to be D.O.A.). I think that Dr. House is the coolest guy on TV whose name is not Jack Bauer. I'm told that I remind people of him all the time (not really a compliment, but it's cool anyway). The show itself is formulaic, which can get a little tired every now and then, but the acting more than makes up for it. I agree with Chucky that the show is much funnier than most sitcoms currently running, too.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/17/06 at 1:13 am

I catch it every once in a while, being a sucker for shows with anti-hero's (thanks to my internal desire to see Capt.Picard lose on a morality issue). Anyway the only problem I see is that it does seem to have a certain pattern to it.

Just out of curiousity, is the senior doctor on Scrubs a parody of House, or is it the other way around?

Written By: karen on 05/17/06 at 3:50 am

I've been watching House since it first started in the UK.  Then they changed the time and I missed one or two episodes  :(.  I need to remember to set the video more often.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 6:42 am

I have watched several episodes, but his personality is nauseating, IMO. I can only take small doses of House. ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:54 am

I have watched several episodes, but his personality is nauseating, IMO. I can only take small doses of House. ;)

Yes, as Dr. Cuttey says he's a 'narcissistic egomaniac.' Refreshing, but only in small doses. After awhile he is quite annoying. At times compelling, at times cliched, often predictable, but seldom boring.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:49 am

Hugh Laurie is the lead character, and for those anglophiles out there who are familiar with the most excellent Black Adder, you should recognize him (even though he doesn't have a noticable accent in this series).  I ignored this series at first, but stumbled on it a few months ago, and absolutely love the show.  More for the character than the medical drama aspect of the show. 

The House character is really refreshing to see on television, he's brutally honest and non-PC.  He hates his patients, but loves to cure the diseases.  Reminds me a bit of a previous doctor I had really.  There's also a great gallows-type of humour underlying the show, I probably laugh harder during this show than some of the sitcoms I end up watching.

I guess some people don't share the subtleties of humour as the producers...I get quite a few laughs out of the show as well. Mainly from Houses brutal honestness, and the other doctors' ineptness!

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 10:53 am

I love all the characters on House..and the more irritated they are with each other, the better.  I also am ahappy to see finally the truth that many people as patients don't do the right thing for themselves...
And Hugh is just too cute when he's angry.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:57 am

I love all the characters on House..and the more irritated they are with each other, the better.  I also am ahappy to see finally the truth that many people as patients don't do the right thing for themselves...

Cute? House is cute? You're pbly the only one who thinks so...(or maybe not)  ;)

Written By: karen on 05/17/06 at 11:21 am

Someone else here (forget who) said you could almost fancy Hugh Laurie in this character!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 11:22 am

Someone else here (forget who) said you could almost fancy Hugh Laurie in this character!

We're all entitled to our fantasies...

Written By: Lazy Jessica on 05/17/06 at 1:56 pm

I agree with them! Although he's cute in a dorky sort of way in the Black Adder, Jeeves & Wooster, etc. :)

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 1:58 pm

he's totally cranky, get the job done, smart guy.....and handsome. i dig him

Subject: Grumpy Doctors

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/17/06 at 2:57 pm

Ok, I'm going to ask a cheezy question- who would win in a medical battle involving a patient- House or Becker?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/17/06 at 5:44 pm

Yeah I watch it.

Subject: Re: Grumpy Doctors

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 8:28 pm

Ok, I'm going to ask a cheezy question- who would win in a medical battle involving a patient- House or Becker?

They're different sort of doctors, for one House works in a Hospital and Becker works in a Medical surgery.

Written By: Apricot on 05/17/06 at 8:32 pm

I don't tend to like hospital shows, minus "Scrubs" (great, great show)

"House" is.. okay, just not exactly my cup of tea.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/18/06 at 5:54 am

One more here for House.  I wouldn't miss it.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...