inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will "The Simpsons" get canned?... It's been over 15 years...

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 05/15/05 at 10:05 pm

Does anybody know how many seasons of "The Simpsons" are left?  ???

The show hasn't been any good since the 8th season.  :P

Even most of their hardcore fans agree.

http://www.jumptheshark.com

Subject: Re: When will "The Simpsons" get canned?... It's been over 15 years...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/05 at 12:16 pm

The Simpsons "jumped the shark" years ago.  What has kept the series afloat is great writing and un-aging animated characters.  Unfortunately, the cultural paradigm to which the program belongs has passed by.  Homer and Marge belonged to the Baby Boom generation when the program started, making Bart and Lisa latter Gen-Xers, maybe Generation Y.  Either way, Generation X is rapidly becoming the "mom & dad" generation, leaving Homer and Marge behind.

While the writing is still good, Simpsonian style is becoming cliched and predictable.  The most vigorous comedy on TV in the '90s is going limp in the '00s.  I say it's time to wrap it up before everybody starts to groan.

I said the same thing about Saturday Night Live.  The difference is SNL has been wretched for ten years.  The program started out as a hip alternative for losers who didn't have dates on Saturday Night.  It caught on as a collection in-jokes and shibboleths shared by the SNL-initiated.  Nobody in the rag-tag first cast with it's ultra-cheap sets thought it would be around 30 years later.  Great comedians from Martin Short to Dana Carvey, and the writing talents of comics such as Al Franken and Harry Shearer kept made the program superb in the '80s.  It was a more polished and professional approach ten years later, but it still rocked.  Twenty years later, SNL was clearly out of steam and just perpetuating itself as a staple of the entertainment industry.  Today it's just tedious, oh, that again!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/16/05 at 12:35 pm

The Simpsons just finished their 16th boring season.  I never liked the show from the start.

I remember reading that the creator said he wasn't going to quit until there are at least 365 episodes of The Simpsons, that way there is at least one episode for every day of the year.

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/16/05 at 1:25 pm

Fox has stated that it will not cancell the Simpsons.  The SImpsons will only end when Matt Groening wants them too. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/16/05 at 3:03 pm

a bad episode of the Simpsons beats out most good episodes of other programs, even after 16 years.  What else is even left on broadcast TV? American Idol? Reality programming?  no thanks.

Part of the reason people say "it hasn't been good since..." is because they've seen so many episodes, it begins to lose any impact it has.  Plus lame imitations such as Family Guy help to dilute it. 

Written By: saver on 05/16/05 at 3:53 pm

Heard the cast was signed up for at least 3 more seasons.... :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/16/05 at 3:56 pm

a bad episode of the Simpsons beats out most good episodes of other programs, even after 16 years.  What else is even left on broadcast TV? American Idol? Reality programming?  no thanks.

Part of the reason people say "it hasn't been good since..." is because they've seen so many episodes, it begins to lose any impact it has.  Plus lame imitations such as Family Guy help to dilute it. 

While I don't enjoy it quite as much as I used to, I agree that a "Bad" Simpson's episode still kicks butt over most of the lousy network shows nowadays :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/16/05 at 6:02 pm

As much as I still like the show, it's time to go. I can think of only 2 episodes so far this season (we are half way through) that I really enjoyed.  :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/16/05 at 7:36 pm

As much as I still like the show, it's time to go. I can think of only 2 episodes so far this season (we are half way through) that I really enjoyed.  :-\\
I understand and respect your opinion...but to those who don't like the show anymore....do what I do when I come across something I don't like on television...watch something else ;)

Written By: jiminy on 05/17/05 at 8:39 am

It seemed the during the early seasons Bart was the bad boy and in the later seasons Homer took more of this role away from Bart and also when Bart gets in trouble in the later seasons they kind of have to smooth it out, almost apologize for his bad behavior i think it's more edgy when it's less politically correct

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/17/05 at 9:15 am

Plus lame imitations such as Family Guy help to dilute it. 

HEATHEN!!! Family Guy is without a shadow of a doubt the best animated show around.

We're a couple series behind you guys here (although due to different networks getting episodes it's very messed up) so one night we will have an episode from say season 6 and then one from season 12.

The difference is there to see.. they are obviously struggling for ideas. But i'll still watch it.

It's one of the highest rated shows on Fox isn't it?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/17/05 at 10:14 am

HEATHEN!!! Family Guy is without a shadow of a doubt the best animated show around.

We're a couple series behind you guys here (although due to different networks getting episodes it's very messed up) so one night we will have an episode from say season 6 and then one from season 12.

The difference is there to see.. they are obviously struggling for ideas. But i'll still watch it.

It's one of the highest rated shows on Fox isn't it?
I WAS gonna say that but don't want to be banned! I also LOVE Family Guy :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/17/05 at 11:55 am

I WAS gonna say that but don't want to be banned! I also LOVE Family Guy :)

I never ban anyone for disagreeing with me.  It's not one of the rules.

Family Guy is fairly weak.  It's all gross out humour, without any kind of social commentary at all.  American Dad is even worse, and clearly a sign the creator hasn't got the ability to do anything except rip himself off. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/17/05 at 12:10 pm

Family Guy is fairly weak.  It's all gross out humour, without any kind of social commentary at all.  American Dad is even worse, and clearly a sign the creator hasn't got the ability to do anything except rip himself off. 
I know...I was kidding ;) I like Family Guy but can't stand American Dad  :P

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/17/05 at 12:28 pm

It's childish.. that's what's so funny.

Your right, there isn't much in the way of social commentary, but they do let loose a few zingers here and there.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/17/05 at 2:04 pm

It seemed the during the early seasons Bart was the bad boy and in the later seasons Homer took more of this role away from Bart and also when Bart gets in trouble in the later seasons they kind of have to smooth it out, almost apologize for his bad behavior i think it's more edgy when it's less politically correct

They went politically correct when they stopped making Barney the town drunk.

And Family Guy is lame.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/17/05 at 3:02 pm

They went politically correct when they stopped making Barney the town drunk.

And Family Guy is lame.

he's back off the wagon... during the spelling bee episode he asks Lisa how to spell relapse as he's laying on the ground with a beer in his hand.

considering there were at least three religious themed episodes this season, I think they're anything but politically correct this past season.

they didn't show Bart back at Springfield elementary at the end of the episode, so I wonder if they'll keep him in the Catholic school.  That would be rather odd.

Written By: woops on 05/17/05 at 6:37 pm

Stan Smith (American Dad") should be on the next "Drawn Together"... with other characters based from  Inuyasha, Kim Possible, Looney Tunes, etc. :D

I like "Family Guy".

The Simpsons is barely watchable since the late '90's...

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/18/05 at 5:43 am

While I agree its peak was about 1991-2001, it's still funny and entertaining -- alot moreso than much of the Reality TV on the airwaves now.

I keep going further back on my predictions. In 1998, based on stuff I read online about the (then) current status of the show, it seemed to me that it only had a couple years left in it. I remember thinking, I bet it's off before 2003. Obviously my past self was wrong on that! ;)

I figured then -- and even up until a couple years ago -- it would be branded as kind of a "90's" show, but it's proven that it can handle the decade change (even if 2005 isn't that culturally different from 1999), so I'd give it till 2008, maybe even as late as 2010.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/05 at 11:07 am

While I agree its peak was about 1991-2001, it's still funny and entertaining -- alot moreso than much of the Reality TV on the airwaves now.

THAT is so true ;)

Written By: Chica on 05/18/05 at 11:59 am

Ummmmm, excuse me.... I absolutly love the simpsons.  I hope they don't stop making shows.  You all are a bunch of knuckle heads, expechily u person who started this topic! >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( :\'( :( >:(

Written By: Marian on 05/18/05 at 2:54 pm

Ummmmm, excuse me.... I absolutly love the simpsons.  I hope they don't stop making shows.  You all are a bunch of knuckle heads, expechily u person who started this topic! >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( :\'( :( >:(
Hi!I like the show,too.I like the continuity iof the characters.

Written By: Kyle on 05/18/05 at 7:10 pm

Maybe around 2009, when The Simpson Movie will come out?  If they continue to make new episodes after that, I have a feeling that will go on only for a couple of years - like about 2011. If they cram a lot of Simpson's material into one average 2-hour movie, the producers would have very few ideas to put into individual episodes, so I say the death of the Simpsons will happen when this year 6th grade class will gradulate from high school.

Written By: Apricot on 05/18/05 at 7:16 pm

The Simpsons just finished their 16th boring season.  I never liked the show from the start.

I remember reading that the creator said he wasn't going to quit until their are at least 365 episodes of The Simpsons, that way their is at least one episode for every day of the year.

Didn't you once have Chief Wiggum As your Avatar? Was that simply for lack of a Better Avatar?

But anyway, if 365 is the case, it should die in the next few seasons, if not the one approaching.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/18/05 at 10:01 pm

Maybe around 2009, when The Simpson Movie will come out? If they continue to make new episodes after that, I have a feeling that will go on only for a couple of years - like about 2011. If they cram a lot of Simpson's material into one average 2-hour movie, the producers would have very few ideas to put into individual episodes, so I say the death of the Simpsons will happen when this year 6th grade class will gradulate from high school.

Good point - I completely forgot about the long-discussed "movie".

I remember -- also in '98 -- reading on one of the show's fansites, that the movie was "tenatively scheduled for 2002", but as with many things like that, it always gets pushed back further than originally thought, LOL.

BTW, I have noticed that when most TV shows have movies, it usually means that's about the tail end of their popularity. Not because of the movie, per se, but it just seems to be the case. Like when Beavis & Butthead Do America came out in '96 - a year later, B & BH got cancelled.

So yeah, if the movie comes out in 2009 - I'd say it won't last beyond 2012.

It would be cool if it could last at least till 2010 because we can technically say it was on in FOUR decades (the pilot was in December '89 - then the 90's and 2000's, and if it makes 2010, the start of the 10's). ;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/19/05 at 4:01 pm

Didn't you once have Chief Wiggum As your Avatar? Was that simply for lack of a Better Avatar?

For a short time when I first registered, that was before I figured out how to put your own avatar on.  I had to real choice but to use an avatar that you could select for a list or have no avatar at all.

Written By: FireBrand79 on 06/03/05 at 4:41 am

"The Simpsons" aren't ending until 2009.The announc ement was made the same week Jay Leno said he was leaving in 2009 and giving the show over to Conan O'Brien,who is very funny.So,you'll have to wait until 2009 to get rid of "The Simpsons".

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/05 at 5:25 am

For a short time when I first registered, that was before I figured out how to put your own avatar on.  I had to real choice but to use an avatar that you could select for a list or have no avatar at all.

Ah, I see now. My ex used to be here, and she was in the same situation. She had that same avatar, in fact. It was kinda creepy, before I saw the name, I thought YOU were PM-ing me letters. Believe me, her letters would only be somewhat... unsettling coming from you to me!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...