inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Revenge Of The Sith

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/19/05 at 3:27 am

I am going to go join the que to see this movie in about 20 minutes.. it's opening day here, presumably it is all over the world.

Anyway, i was curious as to if anybody else was going to go and see it?

I heard that tickets are basically sold out all over the states, somebody here must have one  ;D

Anyway, i will report back with what i thought when it's finished.

Don't worry, i'll make sure not to give anything away.  ;)

Subject: Re: Revenge Of The Sith

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/19/05 at 7:35 am

We've got tickets for Saturday night for the oldest's birthday so I'll let ya know too ;)

Superb.

I just got in...

Words. . . should have sent...a...poet.

Moving, Scary, Amazing, Graphic, Dark (VERY DARK!), The plotlines worked fabulously in to 'A New Hope' that was without a shadow of a doubt the movie of the decade! I'd love to see anything try and top it.

Written By: jiminy on 05/19/05 at 6:11 pm

http://home.nc.rr.com/nctrafficman/images/nerdwars.jpg
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2456970?refsite=7063&ns=1

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/19/05 at 10:34 pm

It will be topped June 15th.. ;)

Written By: Robbo on 05/20/05 at 2:26 am

I saw it about 3 hours ago. It's not bad. I wont give too much away, as most people probably haven't seen it yet. But I will tell you that it's probably the best movie out of the three new movies. It tells you how everything from episode one and two link up to the three old movies. It did that very well. I liked it alot.

Written By: McDonald on 05/20/05 at 1:44 pm

I just got out almost two hours ago, and I freakin' loved it. I am very critical when it comes to films (especially big budget ones) and I was blown away. It reminded me why I loved the original three. I so did not expect to be thrown back into geekdom like that. See it, if you haven't already.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/05 at 10:56 pm

I saw it last night.  It was better than I thought it would be.  I had low expectations.  I was so let down by "Phantom Menace" I didn't even see "Attack of the Clones." 
What I enjoyed most is the questions answered in episode III left unclear in IV-VI. 
:)
The special effects are marvelous, but I'm less dazzled than I was when I was eight or twelve.  The acting and the simplistic dialogue are a problem.  Critics always said Lucas took great actors and got mediocrity out of them.  True in "Sith," but two of the leads are mediocre to start with!  The takes they put into the movie with Hayden Christiensen (Anakin) and Natalie Portman (Padme) were sometimes laughable.  Christiensen is a remarkably crummy actor, but even a first year film student wouldn't have put up with some of his woodenness.  Put some life in it, boy!
Yoda never looked convincing with a light saber either!  Funny, Yoda got younger, Frank Oz got older!
My favorite performance by a longshot was by Ian McDiarmid (Supreme Chancellor Palpatine).  Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan is great too.  Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu, Jedi bigshot) and Jimmy Smits (Sen. Bail Organa) were good picks for their respective roles, but again, Lucas didn't work them to their full potentials.
I'm definitely glad I saw it.  "Star Wars" has been part of my consciousness since I was eight years old.  Now it's over...or is it?
Lucas says he wants to return to making the kind of movies he wanted to do in film school, the kind he says "no one wants to see."  Think "THX-1138" (1971).  If you haven't seen it, by all means do, especially if you like dystopian visions and Robert Duvall. 
I wish Lucas was going to make episodes VII--IX, but I know it's never gonna happen.
:\'(

Written By: Vicodin Jessica on 05/22/05 at 2:39 am

I saw that today. It was awesome, even if the two leads sucked monkey balls. And this coming from a person that used to profess hatred for the whole series of movies. :D

Yoda rules!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/05 at 2:40 am

It will be topped June 15th.. ;)
What by?

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/22/05 at 8:43 am

I just saw it. Incredible. Its as good as one of the old films. Infact, ROTS is now tied as my favorite Star Wars movie along with The Empire Strikes Back(which is widely accepted as the best of the original three).It was very sad though, I cried. Because Hayden's acting was so wooden in AOTC, I thought there was no way I'd feel for him. Well I was wrong. I also felt Padme's pain too, and DEFINITELY Obi-Wan's. I think all three gave great performances.

And yeah, Palpatine was the best. McDiarmid OWNED that role. He was so evil..I think he was even more threatening in this movie than Vader in the originals. And it was so cool to see his transformation from the "Chancellor" to the Emperor. I hear people comment on simplistic dialoque. The originals movies had quite a bit of that. I hear people complain about a lot of the humor and one liners in the film(well they are more in the first half). The originals had plenty of that too.

I think because people saw the originals as kids, they are idealized in their minds. So they will tolerate something from the originals, but viewing the newer movies for the first time through the eyes of an adult, they are less tolerant of some of the very same elements.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/05 at 1:53 pm

I just saw it. Incredible. Its as good as one of the old films. Infact, ROTS is now tied as my favorite Star Wars movie along with The Empire Strikes Back(which is widely accepted as the best of the original three).It was very sad though, I cried. Because Hayden's acting was so wooden in AOTC, I thought there was no way I'd feel for him. Well I was wrong. I also felt Padme's pain too, and DEFINITELY Obi-Wan's. I think all three gave great performances.

And yeah, Palpatine was the best. McDiarmid OWNED that role. He was so evil..I think he was even more threatening in this movie than Vader in the originals. And it was so cool to see his transformation from the "Chancellor" to the Emperor. I hear people comment on simplistic dialoque. The originals movies had quite a bit of that. I hear people complain about a lot of the humor and one liners in the film(well they are more in the first half). The originals had plenty of that too.

ROTS--now there's an acronym for you!
Palpatine/Sidious was such an intense presence!  The evil just oozed off him.  It was like watching D i c k Cheney, for chrissakes!  I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but I definitely think it ranks with TESB as one of the two best.  ROTJ loses out only because of the d*mned Ewoks!  I hate that Jim Henson-style cutesy-putesy!  There was a bit too much of that in ROTS, expecially that goofy lizard Obi Wan rides.  Actually, Obi Wan had one of the two worst lines:
IIRC--"Only the Sith work in absolutes!"  Think about that one!  The most laughable is Darth Vader:
(throwing his arms skyward) "Nooooo!!!"  That's just not Vader thing to do!

I think because people saw the originals as kids, they are idealized in their minds. So they will tolerate something from the originals, but viewing the newer movies for the first time through the eyes of an adult, they are less tolerant of some of the very same elements.
Bingo! I was eight, eleven, and fourteen when the first three were released.  When I saw them all again (and again) in my later teens and my twenties I got fussy about stupid cr*p such as character depth, emotional narrative, and dialogue delivery.  I think a lot of people never require these things out of cinema, and that's why so many crummy sci-fi and action flicks do so well!
On the other hand, my dad was a sophisticated viewer, and he loved the original "Star Wars" as much as I did.  I remember going to see it with him for a final time at our local second-run cinema before it left theatres for good.  I think he liked the Tolkein-esque good-versus-evil epic qualities, and the Eastern-style mysticism of "the Force."

Half of ROTS was computer animation, and I swear Lucas integrated images from the original "Star Wars" into ROTS.  For instance, another actor gets credit as Governor Tarkin, but I swear that was the face of the original Tarkin, Peter Cushing, who died in 1994.

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/22/05 at 3:28 pm

"Only the Sith work in absolutes"

I actually loved that quote. It makes me think about you-know-who..

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/22/05 at 8:26 pm

It was a good film and depressing too.

Written By: Gis on 05/23/05 at 5:19 am

For instance, another actor gets credit as Governor Tarkin, but I swear that was the face of the original Tarkin, Peter Cushing, who died in 1994.

No, it really was the actor credited with the part, deliberate casting because he looks like Peter Cushing.

Written By: Gis on 05/23/05 at 5:23 am

Loved it. As many of you from old may know I am engaged to a Star Wars fanatic so by the time I saw it for the first time he was seeing it for the 5th time !  ::)

I still managed to come out of the movie and interpret parts of it completely differently to him a case of men thinking differently to women maybe??

Written By: bj26 on 05/23/05 at 8:13 am

Saw it , liked it, but a bit extreme if he actually snuffed the padawans, that part I could have done without.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/23/05 at 8:32 am

Saw it , liked it, but a bit extreme if he actually snuffed the padawans, that part I could have done without.

I thought that was an integral part of the movie.

As has been stated, he isn't the best actor so i think having him kill a dozen or so small children allowed him to become even more evil to the audience without actually having to do any good acting  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/05 at 10:59 am

No, it really was the actor credited with the part, deliberate casting because he looks like Peter Cushing.

Remarkable!

I thought they did a good job showing Anakin had a proclivity for the dark side, first with the Sandpeople massacre in "Clones", and then with the butchering of the "younglings."  They made Anakin tragically vulnerable from the losses he suffered in "Phantom Menace."  The Sith got to him through Padme, his wife, just like evil people would.

Written By: bj26 on 05/23/05 at 1:47 pm

I know many will love this movie and especially the other episodes, but the more I think about it, the more ticked off I get with this one.  They zapped everyone so quickly, like Lucas seemed to be in a hurry to get it over with so he could enjoy his millions.  Killed Mace and my fave Kit Fisto, gone just like that and the younglings, my kid was crying in the movie.  Go to Wallmart and they have all kinds of Darth Vadar junk the kids want to buy. Was supposed to be a fun story for the generations, with all kinds of funny creatures and squeeking things and R2 and all.  Something's amiss with this one, wish I could explain it better.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/23/05 at 1:57 pm

I know many will love this movie and especially the other episodes, but the more I think about it, the more ticked off I get with this one.  They zapped everyone so quickly, like Lucas seemed to be in a hurry to get it over with so he could enjoy his millions.  Killed Mace and my fave Kit Fisto, gone just like that and the younglings, my kid was crying in the movie.  Go to Wallmart and they have all kinds of Darth Vadar junk the kids want to buy. Was supposed to be a fun story for the generations, with all kinds of funny creatures and squeeking things and R2 and all.  Something's amiss with this one, wish I could explain it better.

It being fun would be utterly pointless.. the whole point of the movie was to show the Darkness that enveloped the Galaxy, the slide of Skywalker in to Vader and Palpatines rise to becoming Emporer.

Talking about that one.. I found it funny that people were shocked he was Darth Sideous.. it's like.. not only in the origional films was he called Emporer Palpatine, but the only difference was the hood.

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/23/05 at 11:15 pm

It being fun would be utterly pointless.. the whole point of the movie was to show the Darkness that enveloped the Galaxy, the slide of Skywalker in to Vader and Palpatines rise to becoming Emporer.

Talking about that one.. I found it funny that people were shocked he was Darth Sideous.. it's like.. not only in the origional films was he called Emporer Palpatine, but the only difference was the hood.

Yeah I'm sorry but you'd have to be an idiot to be seriously surprised that Palpatine was Sideous...

And what did you expect from this film? It was obviously going to be dark.

I'm sorry but if you are looking for light, kid-friendly crap, go see Madagascar.

I thought ROTS was absolutely brilliant. A stunning achievement.

I went and saw it a second-time, and it was just as good as the first. A remarkable experience. I've never felt that emotionally invested in a film. I bawled like a baby at the end.

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/24/05 at 9:25 am

Well, I'm far from an idiot, but I didn't realize it....

How could you not realize it? The only thing different when he was Sideous was that he wore the hood, it was still pretty obvious it was Ian McDiarmid. Besides, Sideous was obviously the Emperor, and the Emperor's name was Palpatine, and the Chancellor's name was Palpatine..its not a hard train of thought to establish, lol.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/24/05 at 9:47 am

AWESOME...although being a Star Wars fan I already knew the plot (which of course, was written before the originals). It's probably just first viewing hype but this is possibly the best of the films...not just for the special effects etc the story etc was of course very solid. I didn't expect the Yoda vs Emperor battle.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/24/05 at 4:06 pm

Well, I'm far from an idiot, but I didn't realize it....

That's because your silly..

I've just never really understood the whole "Star Wars" hype ::)

See Above ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/24/05 at 5:01 pm

My silly what ? 

::) Silly for not being a star wars Fanatic.

Eeeeeverybody knows it's real.. you should really brush up on it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/05 at 1:33 am

Back it 1977, there was to nine episdoes, now it is only six, what has happened to the other three?

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/25/05 at 4:07 am

It is you're was the point I was making ;)

You should know by now.. After the Emporer came to power.. all annoying spellings and grammatical devices were changed.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/25/05 at 9:37 am

Lucas has decided to not make the final 3....but he's not against someone else buying the rights and making them ;)

I know he has written scripts for 7 & 8.

Evidently he would be happy to lend a hand if someone were to go all out and make them but i expect he'd want a substantial chunk of the profits.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/05 at 9:54 am

Lucas has decided to not make the final 3....but he's not against someone else buying the rights and making them ;)

Kevin Smith (AKA Silent Bob) is a big Darth Vader fan.  Maybe Kevin Smith's the man to make the final three!

There's some kind of touchy "concerned parents" type of group out there pressuring Burger King to void the tie-in deal with Lucasfilms because "Sith" is rated PG-13.  "Empire" would have been rated PG-13, too, but there was no such rating as PG-13 in 1980.  PG-13 didn't get implemented until '84 or '85.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/25/05 at 10:03 am

Kevin Smith (AKA Silent Bob) is a big Darth Vader fan.  Maybe Kevin Smith's the man to make the final three!

;D ;D Star Wars 7 - Luke Lets Himself Go

Written By: Kryllith on 05/25/05 at 10:41 am

Hmmm, you think if Smith made them that he might remove R2-D2 and C-3PO and put Jay and Silent Bob in their place? :)

Kryllith

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/26/05 at 4:30 am

I cannot see how there could be another 3. In Return Of The Jedi, Luke brings balance to the force. There are no Sith left (The Emperor and Darth Vader died). Unless Luke turn to the dark side and Han Solo trains as a Jedi to defeat him, or something stupid like that. I just couldn't imagien where the stroy goes from epidsode 6, and I wouldn't want them to make any more movies because "Jedi" finsihed perfectly.

Have you ever read any of the Dark Empire comic books in which the Emporer has himself Cloned?
The general plot was that the Emporer had been cloned numerous times due to the way the Dark side had ravaged his body and he used a special sith technique to transfer 'himself' in to these body's.

Anyway, it dosen't neccisarily have to be a battle against the Sith.. and what's to say a new Jedi wouldn't turn the Dark side. I think your close to the mark with Luke turning a bit. During ROTJ we see him lose his cool a few times, which is as we all know, the path to the dark side.

Lucas and Bantam Books have done a fantastic job with some Star Wars novels, i'd like to see the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy (quintet (sp) if you got a little further) bought to life on the big screen.

I was thinking, one of the very few little problems i had with Episodes 1 - 3 were these.

The whole Boba Fett being a clone... it kind of makes sense a bit but Boba was origionally a Journeyman Protector named Jaastor Pri-something or other. (I'm showing my true geekyness here)

Han Solo was a good 10 or more years older than Luke.. i would have liked to see him on Corellia.

Considering that the Death Star was being completed when Luke was what.. 17? It seems odd that even with the vast resources of the Empire they started building it around the time of his birth.

WHERE WAS LANDO!!!

I mean, come on, they gave us the annoying Anakin kid what about exceptionally nifty Han & Lando kids.. that would be outstanding.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/26/05 at 9:50 am

That's a real freakin neat idea.

You have touched on a lot of points that have already come around in the Star Wars Galaxy. Btw Han & Leia's son is called Jacen and his sister is called Jaina. They also have a younger son named Anakin (further plot development there)

During the Dark Empire series, the Clone Emporer hides away on the planet of Byss in the very core of the Galaxy and launches attacks on the rest of the Galaxy, eventually attacking Corurscant.

Luke becomes his apprentice and kind of turns to the dark side, but comes back and kills him. (With Leia's help)

Here is what i would like to see...

15 Years after ROTJ the Republic is strong once again with Leia as the Head of State. Luke has re-started the Jedi Academy and has begun training up the next Generation of Jedi, seeking out Force Sensitive individuals all over the Galaxy. He stumbles across an individual so strong in the force that it scares Luke. He knows that he/she could be the most powerfull and influential Jedi ever but is also aware that if he/she was corrupted it would have dire consequences for the Galaxy.

Luke consults the Senate and they decide that this student should be trained. However during a meditation said student is visited by the Emporer from after death and manipulated in to thinking that Luke and the Senate dosen't trust him/her.

The Emporer commands said Jedi to seek out the Emporer's other apprentice. The Emporer foresaw Vader's treachery and as such trained another Dark Lord in the ways of the Sith.

This sith could be called.. i dunno.. Darth Nastyguy. Anywho Darth Nastyguy has been building up his forces and has joined forces with the infamous Tactician Grand Admiral Thrawn. With the two sith and Thrawn the Empire could well rise again...

Written By: Gis on 05/26/05 at 10:18 am

I hope they decide to bring out a 6-pack DVD set of all the episodes.r
Oh I don't think there is any risk of them NOT bringing out a boxed set !  ::)

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/05 at 7:33 pm

I just saw it. There were a couple of moments where the acting got cheesy, but for the most part I found it to be a truly compelling and tragic story. I definitely want to see it again.

Written By: saver on 05/29/05 at 11:48 pm

If a real big Star Wars follower got in a fight with the Dark Force.... would you say the 'Sith' hit the fan? :D :D

Written By: Webstor on 05/30/05 at 12:39 am

This movie redeems the entire prequel trilogy...for me anyways.....
Phantom Menace was so-so...but has the best saber fight of them all (IMO)
Attack of the Clones was better...gave a lot of the political back story, along with the love story....which some people didn't like, but you need those parts to make the story complete.
I was awestruck for weeks after witnessing the Yoda vs Dooku fight.....I didn't think anything could top that.....

Until I saw this one!
VERY Dark, Graphic, tragic.....and I loved every minute of it.
I will not discuss it because there may be some people who haven't seen it yet...but take it from a life long Star Wars fan.........out of all 6 movies, this one has slashed its way to the #2 slot, right behind Empire!

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/30/05 at 7:38 am

Out of all 6 movies, this one has slashed its way to the #2 slot, right behind Empire!

Exactly what i thought.

I doubt anything could beat TESB though.

Written By: saver on 06/03/05 at 2:14 pm

Have you heard about the site:
www.sithsense.com

Darth will READ your mind!!! Really!

Written By: Alchoholica on 06/03/05 at 4:01 pm

It took him 26 questions.

Evidently i would be a valuable asset to the dark side and am much cleverer than i appear.

Outtanding.

Written By: saver on 06/03/05 at 4:22 pm

HEHEHEHEHHEHEH i rule I cannot have my mind read!!! My thought was: Sledgehammer!!! He couldn't do it!!!

He down't wike me wewwy much!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 06/03/05 at 4:38 pm

30 questions and he 'kinda' got penis.

I was PiSssing my pants with some of his questions.

Can it be bent without breaking.. errm.. well yer ok.

Does it bring pleasure, can you but it in a store, can you use it at work.  ;D ;D

He said Gland.. that'll do.

Written By: Kryllith on 06/04/05 at 1:29 am

Couldn't guess Four by Four Animal... He guessed a Whopper at 28 which was probably they closest he got. Guess maybe Vader ought to try other burger joints.

Written By: saver on 06/04/05 at 1:41 am

there's an animal called a four by four? ???

Written By: Kryllith on 06/06/05 at 8:34 am

It's a type of burger at In & Out.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 10:45 am

It was 16 and cookie...  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...