inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: From "Clones" to "Sith"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/05 at 8:32 pm

I didn't see Star Wars: Episode II, "Attack of the Clones."  I wasn't going to bother with Sith either, but my girlfriend went ahead and reserved tickets for tomorrow night, so it looks like I'm going.
So, what do you Star Wars fans think I ought to know about "Attack of the Clones" in order to understand "The Revenge of Sith"?  Also, I saw "Phantom Menace," how did "Clones" bridge episodes I and III?
???

Subject: Re: From "Clones" to "Sith"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/19/05 at 9:32 pm

Check out Clones Wars, the cartoon series that aired on Cartoon Network for more details.

Written By: Kryllith on 05/20/05 at 11:03 am

Bridging the gaps? Hrmm... well I don't want to go over the whole movie, but I'll point out the salient parts of Clones that link episodes 1 and 3.

1. A splinter group called the Separatists has split from the Republic and is busy urging others to join their cause.
2. Anakin is reunited with Amidala after many years of training and through the course of the movie they fall in love.
3. The Senate grants Palpatine emergency powers to deal with the Separatist group, ultimately putting him in charge of the Republic.
4. Obiwan tracks down a bounty hunter named Jango Fett (Bobo's father... sorta...) and discovered that his genetic code is being used to construct a army of clones for the Republic at the request of a Jedi Master (Sifo Dias) who couldn't have made the request because he apparently died before it was made.
5. Obiwan is captured by Count Dooku, a former Jedi Master who joined the Separatists (unknown to the Jedi) and the Sith, effectively replacing Darth Maul.
6. Plagued by nightmares, Anakin returns to Tatoonie and discovers that his mother (who was sold, married, and freed from slavery) was captured by sandpeople. He attempts to rescue her and she dies in his arms, which makes him go ballistic and slaughter all the sandpeople (including the women and children).
7. Anakin and Amidala attempt to free Obiwan, and are eventually joined by the Republic's army and many Jedi in a large battle against the Separtists.
8. Anakin loses his right hand in a battle against Dooku, but he makes up for it by marrying Amidala at the end of the movie (in secret, since Jedi aren't allowed to marry).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/05 at 12:05 pm

Bridging the gaps? Hrmm... well I don't want to go over the whole movie, but I'll point out the salient parts of Clones that link episodes 1 and 3.

1. A splinter group called the Separatists has split from the Republic and is busy urging others to join their cause.
2. Anakin is reunited with Amidala after many years of training and through the course of the movie they fall in love.
3. The Senate grants Palpatine emergency powers to deal with the Separatist group, ultimately putting him in charge of the Republic.
4. Obiwan tracks down a bounty hunter named Jango Fett (Bobo's father... sorta...) and discovered that his genetic code is being used to construct a army of clones for the Republic at the request of a Jedi Master (Sifo Dias) who couldn't have made the request because he apparently died before it was made.
5. Obiwan is captured by Count Dooku, a former Jedi Master who joined the Separatists (unknown to the Jedi) and the Sith, effectively replacing Darth Maul.
6. Plagued by nightmares, Anakin returns to Tatoonie and discovers that his mother (who was sold, married, and freed from slavery) was captured by sandpeople. He attempts to rescue her and she dies in his arms, which makes him go ballistic and slaughter all the sandpeople (including the women and children).
7. Anakin and Amidala attempt to free Obiwan, and are eventually joined by the Republic's army and many Jedi in a large battle against the Separtists.
8. Anakin loses his right hand in a battle against Dooku, but he makes up for it by marrying Amidala at the end of the movie (in secret, since Jedi aren't allowed to marry).

Wow! Thanks. So Anakin doesn't actually become Darth Vader until Episode III?  And if Sifo Dias didn't make the request for the clone army, then who did?
I do wish Lucas was making Episodes VII-IX, as originally planned.  The fact that he's stopping with "Jedi" is the biggest reason I gave up on the series.

Written By: McDonald on 05/20/05 at 1:46 pm

Dude, did you even need to ask. Need I remind you of the yellow scrolling effect that brings one up to date at the beginning of every Star Wars film...?

Just pokin' fun. I didn't see Episode II either, but I enjoyed the hell out of this movie.

Written By: Kryllith on 05/22/05 at 1:33 pm

And if Sifo Dias didn't make the request for the clone army, then who did?

While whomever actually made the request is not specifically revealed, Jango Fett stated that he was hired by a man named Tyranus to be the model for the clone army. We learn later in the film that Count Dooku's sith name is Darth Tyranus, so it's commonly accepted that he also made the request.

Kryllith

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/05 at 2:01 pm

While whomever actually made the request is not specifically revealed, Jango Fett stated that he was hired by a man named Tyranus to be the model for the clone army. We learn later in the film that Count Dooku's sith name is Darth Tyranus, so it's commonly accepted that he also made the request.

Kryllith

When Obi-Wan is going into exile on Tatooine, Yoda advises him to seek out a certain individual who has attained the secret to immortality.  Can't remember the name.  Maybe it should be obvious, but who is this person to who Yoda refers?

Written By: Kryllith on 05/22/05 at 6:08 pm

When Obi-Wan is going into exile on Tatooine, Yoda advises him to seek out a certain individual who has attained the secret to immortality.  Can't remember the name.  Maybe it should be obvious, but who is this person to who Yoda refers?

The person is Obiwan's master, Quigon Jinn (Liam Neeson), who was killed by Darth Maul at the end of Phantom Menance. Quigon was one of the primary characters in The Phantom Menace, as he was not only Obiwan's master, but he was also the one that discovered Anakin on Tatootine and was the primary support for Anakin being trained as a jedi. While not a part of the Jedi Council, many fans consider him to be one of the best pure Jedi since he believed that listening and following the will of the force (what he referred to as the "Living Force") was more important than obeying the codes and strictures set forth by the Jedi Council. It's also believed (and Sith supports this belief) that Quigon was the first Jedi to discover the secret of manifesting as an apparition after his death, which is what Yoda is referring to in his discussion with Obiwan.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/22/05 at 8:21 pm

Qui Jon Jinn however wasn't in the third one, and was mentioned by name only, so he had probally made contact somehow in between episode III and IV.

Written By: Gis on 05/23/05 at 5:27 am

Qui Jon Jinn however wasn't in the third one, and was mentioned by name only, so he had probally made contact somehow in between episode III and IV.
He makes contact with Yoda in Attack of the Clones.The first time is when Yoda is in the Jedi temple and he hears Qui Gon's voice shout 'Anakin no !' which relates to when Anakin lost his temper and killed the sand people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/05 at 11:03 am

The person is Obiwan's master, Quigon Jinn (Liam Neeson), who was killed by Darth Maul at the end of Phantom Menance. Quigon was one of the primary characters in The Phantom Menace, as he was not only Obiwan's master, but he was also the one that discovered Anakin on Tatootine and was the primary support for Anakin being trained as a jedi. While not a part of the Jedi Council, many fans consider him to be one of the best pure Jedi since he believed that listening and following the will of the force (what he referred to as the "Living Force") was more important than obeying the codes and strictures set forth by the Jedi Council. It's also believed (and Sith supports this belief) that Quigon was the first Jedi to discover the secret of manifesting as an apparition after his death, which is what Yoda is referring to in his discussion with Obiwan.

Ohhh, OK, I remember now!  I only saw "Phantom Menace" once when it came out, so I didn't remember Q. Jinn by name.  I'm definitely going to see ROTS again!

Check for new replies or respond here...