inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For Apricot and Others: Music of 2009 - 2012 - What It Might Be

Written By: Kyle on 05/21/05 at 6:19 pm

What do you think the music will be like in 2009 -2012?  I say we might have a comeback of "bubblegum pop and rap" with a combination of something kool like alternative with dance.  Any replies will be welcome.  :)

Subject: Re: For Apricot and Others: Music of 2009 - 2012 - What It Might Be

Written By: Kyle on 05/21/05 at 6:20 pm

If your stuck  - think Jesse McCartney combined with Jennifer Lopez!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/21/05 at 6:22 pm

What do you think the music will be like in 2009 -2012?  I say we might have a comeback of "bubblegum pop and rap" with a combination of something kool like alternative with dance.  Any replies will be welcome.

Based on how the charts look at the moment, probably worse. There'll be less stupid songs coming out than there are now, but there'll probably be a lot more rap, r n b, hip hop and dance. Pop will slowly die out, and there'll be loads more bands such as Keane, Embrace, Athlete, etc. Which means by 2020, the charts will be unbearably bland.
I'll look forward to it...

Written By: Everlong on 05/21/05 at 10:35 pm

I don't see much of a future for good music as long as things stay the way they are now.  But history's a pendulum, so maybe something will change.

Written By: Apricot on 05/22/05 at 10:08 am

If your stuck  - think Jesse McCartney combined with Jennifer Lopez!

If that's the case, I think there's only ONE PICTURE to describe how I'm feeling right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/TheMoonandAntarctica/GoddammitJPEG.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see variation in mainstream. See, we have a problem: Division. sheeshty country stays on sheeshty country stations, sheeshty rap stays on sheeshty rap stations. What we NEED is for all our sheeshty music to unify! Face it, most mainstream is gonna SUCK from now on... might as well have diversity. Maybe the diversity in mainstream from artist to artist will cause artists to try out different styles, see what works for them, and get the best style possible. Then the artists might NOT suck so much!  :D

Well, that's my theory anyway.

Written By: chaka on 05/22/05 at 11:48 am

People these days are shallow and they never stop lying to themselves(and everyone else)

If that attitude stays,well then the future of music looks crap.
I'm sure pop will still be there in 2009etc...and it'll probably be worse

Written By: Kenlos on 05/22/05 at 4:15 pm

Based on how the charts look at the moment, probably worse. There'll be less stupid songs coming out than there are now, but there'll probably be a lot more rap, r n b, hip hop and dance. Pop will slowly die out, and there'll be loads more bands such as Keane, Embrace, Athlete, etc. Which means by 2020, the charts will be unbearably bland.
I'll look forward to it...

I hope your wrong.  Bands like Keane, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Maroon 5 and so on are what have caused me to stop listening to the radio.  Recently I have started looking for more unique and distinct sounding bands and I have found a couple of them.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/22/05 at 5:44 pm

I hope your wrong.  Bands like Keane, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Maroon 5 and so on are what have caused me to stop listening to the radio.  Recently I have started looking for more unique and distinct sounding bands and I have found a couple of them.

Truth be told, I hope i'm wrong too. My prediction is simply based around the digression of the charts from the 80s to now. 80s you had a lot of pop and not an awful lot more, 90s you had all sorts of crap, pop, rock and one hit wonders especially. Now you've just got everything in the charts, which I suppose gives it a bit of variation, but pop is dying out, more and more british indie/rock bands are forming, dance is taking over as is rap and r n b. man, the future looks bleak  :(

Written By: Kenlos on 05/24/05 at 9:54 am

Truth be told, I hope i'm wrong too. My prediction is simply based around the digression of the charts from the 80s to now. 80s you had a lot of pop and not an awful lot more, 90s you had all sorts of crap, pop, rock and one hit wonders especially. Now you've just got everything in the charts, which I suppose gives it a bit of variation, but pop is dying out, more and more british indie/rock bands are forming, dance is taking over as is rap and r n b. man, the future looks bleak  :(

The 80s had a lot of Rock too and they had some one hit wonders as well.  But yeah like I mentioned before most of these Indie/Rock bands are quickly getting on my nerves.

Written By: Apricot on 05/24/05 at 3:39 pm

But yeah like I mentioned before most of these Indie/Rock bands are quickly getting on my nerves.

If they're getting all this hitwhorage on the radio, they aren't truly Indie. They just want that label so trendy teens can claim they're too good for mainstream.

Written By: supercute on 05/24/05 at 9:32 pm

If that's the case, I think there's only ONE PICTURE to describe how I'm feeling right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/TheMoonandAntarctica/GoddammitJPEG.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see variation in mainstream. See, we have a problem: Division. sheeshty country stays on sheeshty country stations, sheeshty rap stays on sheeshty rap stations. What we NEED is for all our sheeshty music to unify! Face it, most mainstream is gonna SUCK from now on... might as well have diversity. Maybe the diversity in mainstream from artist to artist will cause artists to try out different styles, see what works for them, and get the best style possible. Then the artists might NOT suck so much!  :D

Well, that's my theory anyway.

LOL, I hear you on that 1  ;)

Written By: Kenlos on 05/25/05 at 12:03 am

If they're getting all this hitwhorage on the radio, they aren't truly Indie. They just want that label so trendy teens can claim they're too good for mainstream.

90% of main stream music on todays radio is not truly what they claim to be.  This is not only true with the Indie bands but also with Punk bands as I am sure you would agree that 99% of the main stream punk bands are not truly punk.  This can also be said for just about all genres played on the radio.  If you try to get any of the real bands of these genres on the radio they usually don't make it because they are not commercialized enough.  And like I said that is why I rarely listen to the radio anymore, the Indie or wannabe Indie bands are just a part of it, I find my music other places.

Written By: Kenlos on 05/25/05 at 2:38 pm

What's lacking in today's music is melody. It's all about how good is your beat. But we've learned through history that melody's are immortal. Beethoven's 5th is still a popular tune in today's world. It was funked up on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, and recently, Robin Thicke made it into a pop song. Good melodies like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, the Beatles, Motown, etc. will live on forever, but "hot" beats wont.

If record producers and artists keep focusing on the money and the bling bling, rather than creating a wonderful piece of music, than I can only see music going downhill from here. But, at the same time, I can see good artists coming through who are making great music and aren't walking around the place with their shirts of and chain hanging from their necks. At the moment, these good artists and band I talk of are the minority. But if the public gets behind them, and buys their records and they become the majority, then I can see music getting better from here.

That is exactly why I go looking for more unique and distinct bands most of which I have found over in Europe.  The high majority music here in the US is too commericalized.

Written By: Kyle on 05/25/05 at 6:04 pm

What's lacking in today's music is melody. It's all about how good is your beat. But we've learned through history that melody's are immortal. Beethoven's 5th is still a popular tune in today's world. It was funked up on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, and recently, Robin Thicke made it into a pop song. Good melodies like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, the Beatles, Motown, etc. will live on forever, but "hot" beats wont.

If record producers and artists keep focusing on the money and the bling bling, rather than creating a wonderful piece of music, than I can only see music going downhill from here. But, at the same time, I can see good artists coming through who are making great music and aren't walking around the place with their shirts of and chain hanging from their necks. At the moment, these good artists and band I talk of are the minority. But if the public gets behind them, and buys their records and they become the majority, then I can see music getting better from here.

Some of these Indie and Emo bands do have some melody, like "My Immortal" by Evensance and a various songs by Sheryl Crow; but when the music comes gets the chorus, all it is is [size=14NOISE!!

This will probably die down by 2012, I hope!  :(

Written By: Dukefan on 05/25/05 at 10:02 pm

Pop will slowly die out, and there'll be loads more bands such as Keane, Embrace, Athlete, etc. Which means by 2020, the charts will be unbearably bland.

I feel that Pop is on it's way out as well...not that it will be gone entirely, just that it is slowly melting away into other genres, so-to-speak. 

For exaple, over the last five years or so, Country has unfortunately started to take on aspects of pop. (Thanks to Faith Hil, Shania Twain and commercialization in general)         

As much as certain people would hate to admit it, there are also some other -specific- genres that have taken on pop aspects over the last five years too...  ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/26/05 at 5:32 am

The 80s had a lot of Rock too and they had some one hit wonders as well.  But yeah like I mentioned before most of these Indie/Rock bands are quickly getting on my nerves.
Those artists you mentioned aren't indie rock. They are what I would consider mainsteam. Here today, gone tomorrow type of bands. (Or good today, sh*t tomorrow) Anyone heard how bad the new Strokes, Hives and Vines albums were?

Written By: Apricot on 05/26/05 at 5:34 am

Anyone heard how bad the new Strokes, Hives and Vines albums were?

Suckage indeed. At least I didn't like them.

Written By: Kyle on 05/28/05 at 9:51 am

People these days are shallow and they never stop lying to themselves(and everyone else)

If that attitude stays,well then the future of music looks crap.
I'm sure pop will still be there in 2009etc...and it'll probably be worse

Probably that cheesy bubblegum pop and even cheesier boys bands, such as Route 66 and The Half Naked Gimmie Gimmie Boyz.  :D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/28/05 at 4:24 pm

Heavy Metal will go mainstream again once Guns N Roses release 'Chinese Democracy'.

Check for new replies or respond here...