inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NBC's "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

Written By: racer on 05/23/05 at 3:31 pm

This should be a pretty cool show premiering next week! My vote goes for Tiffany.  ;)

http://www.nbc.com/nbc//Hit_Me_Baby/index.shtml

Subject: Re: NBC's "Hit Me Baby One More Time"

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/05 at 3:39 pm

This should be a pretty cool show premiering next week! My vote goes for Tiffany.  ;)

http://www.nbc.com/nbc//Hit_Me_Baby/index.shtml
The UK version has just finished, but I will say anything for I do not want to ruin the concept of it for you.

Written By: racer on 05/23/05 at 4:01 pm

Is it similar to the American Idol show?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/23/05 at 4:37 pm

It's probably gonna be like an American Idol for once-talented has-beens.  ;D

But I hope next season, some of these has-beens and/or unsung heroes make it on the show:

Iron Butterfly -- They had a #30 hit with "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," thanks to FM radio, underground music scenes, live concerts with other rock legends (everybody except for the Beatles), and a single edit of the song that cuts 60% of the 17-minute song out. The album, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, was a huge Top Ten hit in 1968, and they never had another hit song, but their albums brought in mammoth sales.

Twisted Sister -- Dee Snider could prove he's still got it at 60 (Yes, 60!  :o) by singing "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "I Wanna Rock" and then bust into a very hard-rockin' cover of a popular song. I'd laugh if I heard TS singing "Oops! I Did It Again"!  ;D ::)

New GnR -- Just for kicks, I think Axl and Buckethead would add comic relief to the show.

Styx -- Just to show folks that the band that recorded "Mr. Roboto" is not dead. "Blue Collar Man" is a classic. They released an album of covers most recently.

Meat Loaf -- He's about to release Bat Out of Hell III in a few more years. He'd really rock this show up a bit with Wagnerian rock!

Who might end up on the show anyway, even though they suck:

Michael Bolton  :P -- let's hope he doesn't ruin any Britney Spears songs!  :o

Backstreet Boys :P -- They have a new album out, unfortunately  :-[

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 05/23/05 at 9:18 pm

I like Arrested Development & A Flock of Seagulls.

Why not Deborah Gibson instead, though she's still trying to make a comeback...especially with "Naked", which is a great song...  :)  8)  :-*

How about Taylor Dayne!!!

...Ashley Tisdale could judge since she's an upcoming actress/singer & '80's has-been Paula Abdul judged "American Idol", which features wannabe singers...

So, why not up & comers, who most may not familiar with past artists, judge them?  :D  :)

Along with an up & coming stand-up comic  to be the next Simon Cowell.  8)

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 05/24/05 at 1:15 am

For more competitors how about.....

-Foghat  ("Slow Ride")-a tight, talented band from the mid 70's that should have been very popular but never really caught on, I still think they tour frequently

-Kajagoogoo ("Too Shy")-a great early 80's New Wave act that disappeared shortly after they hit it big

-Michael Stanley Band  ("He Can't Love You", "My Town")-a great straight Rock n' Roll band that have been around since the late 70's but have only been popular in the Cleveland area

-Vanilla Fudge ("You Keep Me Hanging On")-A band that pretty much pioneered psychedelic rock/heavy metal in the late 60's

-Soft Cell ("Tainted Love")-They should give these guys another shot since they do still have one of the top selling singles of all time

-Cameo ("Word Up")-how about another try for one of the catchiest yet short lived funk bands

Written By: george78 on 05/24/05 at 8:31 am

I saw the commercial for this show the other day. It's going to be interesting to see who wins. I'm with Racer on this one, TIFFANY gets my vote.

Does anyone know what they "win" at the end of the competition?

Written By: Maddie's The Boss on 05/24/05 at 8:11 pm

-Soft Cell ("Tainted Love")-They should give these guys another shot since they do still have one of the top selling singles of all time

That would be cool  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/05 at 8:19 pm

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" would be perfect for Ike Turner!
:D ;D

Written By: woops on 05/24/05 at 11:43 pm

Definately Arrested Development  8)

A Flock of Seagulls are also great  :)

On the poll: Loverboy get the lead.  :D Though I'm only familiar with "Working For The Weekend", which is a good song.   :)

Tiffany: .   :P ... Though "I Think We're Alone Now" is an OK song, but I would like too see somebody better...

Others:    

The Offspring...pop punk band

Tears For Fears... great '80's band

Jody Watley... '80's R&B singer

The Go Go's... '80's all female band

White Lion... should also comeback

The Pixies...great alternative band

Del La Soul...great rap group

Bon Jovi... '80's rock band, must comeback again

New Order...still around, but should have a comeback

And not least...

Deborah Gibson... one of the most talented/underrapreciated artists ever

Written By: racer on 05/25/05 at 8:26 am

Definately Arrested Development  8)

A Flock of Seagulls are also great  :)

On the poll: Loverboy get the lead.  :D Though I'm only familiar with "Working For The Weekend", which is a good song.   :)

Tiffany: .   :P ... Though "I Think We're Alone Now" is an OK song, but I would like too see somebody better...

Others:    

The Offspring...pop punk band

Tears For Fears... great '80's band

Jody Watley... '80's R&B singer

The Go Go's... '80's all female band

White Lion... should also comeback

The Pixies...great alternative band

Del La Soul...great rap group

Bon Jovi... '80's rock band, must comeback again

New Order...still around, but should have a comeback

And not least...

Deborah Gibson... one of the most talented/underrapreciated artists ever

?????  ???
Offspring? Bon Jovi?
Why would they need comebacks, they are still popular. Especially Bon Jovi, they still perform to 20,000+ crowds. Where have you been?

Written By: ToddR on 05/31/05 at 10:21 am

No way. Looks like the first round should be a tough one.

Looks like Tiffany is leading the pack on the website's poll with 31%!

Written By: racer on 06/02/05 at 12:23 pm

Awesome! She is still in the lead.  ;)

Written By: Carrie on 06/02/05 at 8:33 pm

I was watching this... the host drives me nuts, who is he and what has he done before? I can't figure out why he annoys me, he just does.

Written By: woops on 06/02/05 at 8:35 pm

For some reason, I believe that Tiffany may be Ashley Tisdale's mother...  ::)  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/05 at 10:43 pm

I started watching the show tonight.....they all sounded pretty good...especially Cece Peniston and Arrested Development!!!!

Erin :)

Written By: Carrie on 06/03/05 at 1:09 am

I started watching the show tonight.....they all sounded pretty good...especially Cece Peniston and Arrested Development!!!!

Erin :)
Agreed. Only one who didn't sound so good what Flock of Seagulls IMO. Which is too bad, I really like them.

Check for new replies or respond here...