inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How are you enjoying the 2000s so far?

Written By: supercute on 05/23/05 at 5:43 pm

So far I was born in the 80s, came of age in the 90s/00s & a high school senior next yr...these r supposed to be the
'best times of my life'.

Still I can't help but wonder what life would have been like in the 80s or much less, the 90s...Compared to what I've heard from older cousins/friends the 1990s/80s were muccch mucch better...I don't doubt them for a second either.

What can you say about your experiences in the 2000s? 911, Iraq, Reality TV, LiveStrong bracelets, MTV no longer playing music, iPods, music (if I do say so, I can only find a FEW diamonds in the rough).

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Subject: Re: How are you enjoying the 2000s so far?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/23/05 at 5:55 pm

So far I was born in the 80s, came of age in the 90s/00s & a high school senior next yr...these r supposed to be the
'best times of my life'.

Still I can't help but wonder what life would have been like in the 80s or much less, the 90s...Compared to what I've heard from older cousins/friends the 1990s/80s were muccch mucch better...I don't doubt them for a second either.

What can you say about your experiences in the 2000s? 911, Iraq, Reality TV, LiveStrong bracelets, MTV no longer playing music, iPods, music (if I do say so, I can only find a FEW diamonds in the rough).

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

AAAAAAAAARGGH! There's no escape from this thread!! Anyhoo, the 00s have been pretty 'meh' so far. 2000 was bland, 2001 was alright, 2002 was really really good (best year so far), 2003 was pretty good too, 2004 was sh*t and this year has been probs the worst year of my entire life so far. Overall, the 00s have been pretty crap, i'm sorry to say  :(

Written By: Kyle on 05/23/05 at 6:43 pm

AAAAAAAAARGGH! There's no escape from this thread!! Anyhoo, the 00s have been pretty 'meh' so far. 2000 was bland, 2001 was alright, 2002 was really really good (best year so far), 2003 was pretty good too, 2004 was sh*t and this year has been probs the worst year of my entire life so far. Overall, the 00s have been pretty crap, i'm sorry to say  :(

??? I don't think this year is really that bad.  We are now starting have a comeback of real music; music that actually had some talent in it.  If we could get rid of all that ultra-unforgetable mainstream "bubblegum" rap and reality TV, we could have a pretty good second half.

In my book, most of the early 2000's (excluding 2001 because of the 9/11 attacks) was pretty good. Especially 2002 with the brand new technological advancements such as Windows XP.  Even though these "Who Wants to Be An Millionaire" rip-offs got out of hand, it was pretty ditty in the first place.  Music was chessy, but I can deal with it.  Even mainstream rap today has some so-called talent in it.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/23/05 at 7:09 pm

2000... 2nd year high school (meh)
2001... 3rd year high school (also meh)
2002... 4th year high school (also meh)
2003... last year high school (about freakin' time!)
2004... More ups that the previous 4 years. Overall pretty good.
2005... This year hasn't finished yet, so can't comment.

Sure, school was crappy... but those days have gone! Bring on 2005-2009  :D

Written By: supercute on 05/23/05 at 7:15 pm

2000... 2nd year high school (meh)
2001... 3rd year high school (also meh)
2002... 4th year high school (also meh)
2003... last year high school (about freakin' time!)
2004... More ups that the previous 4 years. Overall pretty good.
2005... This year hasn't finished yet, so can't comment.

Overall... yes I am enjoying the 2000s so far! They are fan-freakin-tastic!  :D

Good Red Shirt, it seems to me that we are on the same boat (or @ least close to it!) You graduated the same yr as my older cousin, I'm graduating in May of 2006...wonder if there are other teens on the board?  ???

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/23/05 at 7:16 pm

Good Red Shirt, it seems to me that we are on the same boat (or @ least close to it!) You graduated the same yr as my older cousin, I'm graduating in May of 2006...wonder if there are other teens on the board?  ???

me. i'm in year 12, and (hoping to stay on for another year). There's also Apricot, Josh and YWN to name but a few

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/23/05 at 7:17 pm

Apricot, DAK, Alex_2k5 to name 3.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/23/05 at 7:21 pm

There's also Chica (who mysteriously vanished) and new member Cait Sith

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/23/05 at 7:23 pm

I'm only a teen for about another 3 1/2 months.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/23/05 at 7:24 pm

I'm only a teen for about another 3 1/2 months.

Meh... got until October 11th 2008 to enjoy it  :-\\

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/23/05 at 7:26 pm

Meh... got until October 11th 2008 to enjoy it  :-\\
You're alll invited to the party on one condition... you have to buy the ticket to come here
and pay for accomodation etc.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/23/05 at 7:28 pm

You're alll invited to the party on one condition... you have to buy the ticket to come here
and pay for accomodation etc.

;D Sorry man, i think my planner's packed up until 2034! Never mind!  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/05 at 7:41 pm

THE GOOD: I love the simplicity and fun of the Internet (couldn't live without it now!), cellphones, CD burning (that would've been unimaginable to me, even in 1995) and other technological eases. I guess since it's my "home" I'm more used to it now than I could be to any other time.

THE BAD: It's getting a little better in late '04 and '05 with the slow breakaway from late 90's culture (though it's still around), but in general it's still a generally boring time compared to the 80's and the first two thirds of the 90's IMO. The War on Terror is depressing, as is alot of the mainstream pop music - that hit a low in like 2001/02 though. Too much reality TV (that wore its welcome out in '01 too).

I think I attach a sentimental memory to the culture and my life, before 1997. I don't know if it's cause that was when I started High School or because that was the beginning of when things started becoming the way they are now (i.e. the popularity of the Internet, Boy Bands, South Park) - probably a little of both.

I was only around as a 0-7 year-old in the 80's, but since I paid attention to stuff early on (especially video games and music), I have alot of cool memories of what it was like. A few years later, I just wished I could've experienced it fully and not just from a childhood POV. I look at the 90's as a cool place to hang out, my 'adolescent' decade (8-17 years old), but I don't consider it "home" as much as I do the 80's - even if I have alot more personal experience with it. ;)

I'm mixed on 90's pop culture - some of the TV shows and movies go down as all-time favorites (both then and now): Home Improvement, Seinfeld and Full House as a few examples. However, some of it, such as the beginning of gangsta rap, or 80's styles going away, etc I'm not crazy about.

I can't believe the 2000's are half over, but I think if you asked me in 2020, I'd tell you that I considered them a cool time personally, but mediocre at best for pop culture. I hope that the late 00's will break from the "1999-ish" culture, though. It's funny, but I don't look back on even 1997 even remotely nostalgically. Back then, I was 15 and already missing my childhood and wishing it was the 80's again - just like now, LOL! ;D

PS: Sorry to make this such a long post!

Written By: Everlong on 05/23/05 at 11:58 pm

I'm a teenager- graduate in May of 2007.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/24/05 at 3:28 am

^ I was born in late 1981, making me 18 for most of 2000. Didn't turn 20 till it was almost 2002 - so I was a teen of the early 2000's.

However, I wasn't really a "main" 2000's teen -- they were born more like 1985-1991 -- so I'm more on the fringes.

Yet most days I feel no older than 12, so it evens out! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...