inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coldest city in America???

Written By: supercute on 05/25/05 at 10:17 pm

I did some checking at weather.com

Average January highs and lows in F. for "cold" cities in the US.

Minneapolis 22 and 4
Chicago 32 and 18
Detroit 31 and 18
Buffalo 31 and 18
Denver 43 and 15
Boston 36 and 22
Toronto 29 and 17
Ottawa 20 and 4
Montreal 21 and 5

Any thoughts???

Subject: Re: Coldest city in America???

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/25/05 at 10:26 pm

International Falls, Minnesota, nicknamed “the Nation’s Icebox,” is officially
the coldest city in the continental United States....here's a Cool link....

www.courier-journal.com/foryourinfo/020705/020705.html

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/05 at 10:30 pm

I'd say Barrow, Alaska would be - the uppermost place in the hemisphere!

But in the lower 48, those numbers seem about right. I'm a wimp that way - if it's over 80 or under 50 I'm uncomfortable, LOL!

Written By: Kenlos on 05/25/05 at 11:58 pm

Toronto 29 and 17
Ottawa 20 and 4
Montreal 21 and 5

Any thoughts???

Umm, unless something has changed since I last checked those Cities are not located in the US.  They are in Canada.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 12:00 am

Rifle, Colorado gets pretty nipply as well :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/05 at 12:08 am

I'd say Barrow, Alaska would be - the uppermost place in the hemisphere!

But in the lower 48, those numbers seem about right. I'm a wimp that way - if it's over 80 or under 50 I'm uncomfortable, LOL!

Barrow isn't the upper most place inthe hemisphere by far, that would the North Pole.
The Barrow weather station records the lowest average annual temperature in the whole United States. I assumed Fairbanks would be colder, at least at the extreme end, because Fairbanks is continental, whereas Barrow is maritime.  However, Barrow is about 750 miles north of Fairbanks, which outweighs the maritime effect.  Besides, once you're north of the Arctic Circle, the sun doesn't shine for months on end, which tends to have a dragging effect on winter temperatures!

For the contiguous U.S. (continental is a misnomer because Alaska is on the continent too), I would have guessed Minot, ND, was the coldest.  International Falls is no surprise, though.  However, Canadians just laugh at this because where North Dakota and Minnesota end, Manitoba is just beginning!
:o

In the Northeast, there's a noticeable difference in the cold between where I live in Amherst, Mass., to a place as close as Albany.  This is an indication of the continental effect taking over from the maritime effect, which still makes a dent in the temperatures here in central-western Mass. and southern VT.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/26/05 at 12:58 am

Toronto 29 and 17
Ottawa 20 and 4
Montreal 21 and 5
Not US cities.

Written By: Climber on 05/26/05 at 1:27 am

http://www.embarrass.org/

Weather Facts
Embarrass, Minnesota Weather - Embarrass is known for it's cold temperatures and can claim the rights as the "coldest spot in the state".  It is not unusual to see 30 to 45 degrees below zero many mornings before the sun comes up during the winter months.  The unofficial low temperature set on February 2, 1996 was  -64.  Although it may be hard to believe that this can be "normal" it can also be normal to get killing frosts during the summer months too. It can be challenging for Embarrass residents to grow gardens or beautiful flowers. There is a theory of why it gets so cold in Embarrass. This theory has to do with geology.

Embarrass is located in the Embarrass River Valley. The Vermillion Range borders the northern end, the Laurentian Divide to the south and moraines at right angles on the other two ends. These natural barriers causes the cold air to sink with the help of gravity. In addition to the right type of soil and higher latitude, Embarrass is colder then in any other part of the state.

Embarrass residents are tough to withstand these cold temperatures. Either that or they all know that the cold is coming every year and prepare for it. Common sense is used when being outdoors.  Although the thought of such cold makes the winter seem long and harsh, the beauty of bright white snow on the landscape can be breath-taking.
Thoughts of  spring and summer gives hope of warmer temperatures to come and helps residents to endure the winter months.

Written By: Climber on 05/26/05 at 1:31 am

Minneapolis 22 and 4
Chicago 32 and 18
Detroit 31 and 18
Buffalo 31 and 18
Denver 43 and 15
Boston 36 and 22
Toronto 29 and 17
Ottawa 20 and 4
Montreal 21 and 5

Any thoughts???

I don't know about the rest of them, but thae average for Minneapolis is without the wind chilld factored in!  :P
That d*mn wind chill can suck (or blow, in this case :P) the life right out of you.  On days like that, I wonder why I still live here.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/26/05 at 5:45 am

Not US cities.

There is more to America than the United States of America. North America, South America, Central America....

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/26/05 at 5:52 am

There is more to America than the United States of America. North America, South America, Central America....
OK then. "America" is usually used to describe only the USA over here, so forgive me.  :D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 11:46 am

For one magical day, in January 19, 1994, New Whiteland, Indiana had the nations coldest temperature with -36. But the coldest modern temperature recorded in the US was at Prospect Creek, Alaska on January 3, 1971 with -80. The coldest CONUS temp ever was at Rogers Pass, Montana, -70, on January 30,1954.

Other cold temperatures:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm

Written By: Kenlos on 05/26/05 at 12:57 pm

That is true, but in the post it self he did say "Average January highs and lows in F. for "cold" cities in the US."

Written By: danootaandme on 05/26/05 at 4:29 pm

OK then. "America" is usually used to describe only the USA over here, so forgive me.  :D

I used to do the same, but I found when I went to Europe that if you say you're from America they look at you like "yeah...and..." because it is like someone coming over here and saying "I'm from Europe" and you know that, but what part of Europe.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 4:46 pm

True, though I really doubt it gets as cold in Central or South America as it does in North America ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/05 at 5:27 pm

Riminds me of an Archie's comic where Mrs. Grundy welcomes a Brazilian foreign exchange student. She asks the boy "Well, how do you like it up here in America?" The kid responds, "Very well. And I also like it down there in America." And the class laughes. As a teen, I found it funny. :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/05 at 6:23 pm

http://www.embarrass.org/

Weather Facts
Embarrass, Minnesota Weather - Embarrass is known for it's cold temperatures and can claim the rights as the "coldest spot in the state".  It is not unusual to see 30 to 45 degrees below zero many mornings before the sun comes up during the winter months.  The unofficial low temperature set on February 2, 1996 was  -64.  Although it may be hard to believe that this can be "normal" it can also be normal to get killing frosts during the summer months too. It can be challenging for Embarrass residents to grow gardens or beautiful flowers. There is a theory of why it gets so cold in Embarrass. This theory has to do with geology.

Embarrass is located in the Embarrass River Valley. The Vermillion Range borders the northern end, the Laurentian Divide to the south and moraines at right angles on the other two ends. These natural barriers causes the cold air to sink with the help of gravity. In addition to the right type of soil and higher latitude, Embarrass is colder then in any other part of the state.

Embarrass residents are tough to withstand these cold temperatures. Either that or they all know that the cold is coming every year and prepare for it. Common sense is used when being outdoors.  Although the thought of such cold makes the winter seem long and harsh, the beauty of bright white snow on the landscape can be breath-taking.
Thoughts of  spring and summer gives hope of warmer temperatures to come and helps residents to endure the winter months.

I guess a guy feels embarrassed in Embarrass when he takes his skivvies off after snowhshoing for a couple of hours.  Major shrinkage there, you can bet!
:-[

Written By: supercute on 05/26/05 at 10:59 pm

I guess a guy feels embarrassed in Embarrass when he takes his skivvies off after snowhshoing for a couple of hours.  Major shrinkage there, you can bet!

lol, ever heard of:
Normal, IL
Cut-N-Shoot, TX
Noodle, TX
etc. most southern states have weird names, thank God I'm in Massachusetts.

Written By: Climber on 05/26/05 at 11:19 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Harvey on 07/30/07 at 5:40 am

Seems a lot of people forget that Alaska is not only part of "America," it's also the 49th state of the UNITED STATES.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/07 at 3:35 pm

Want cold?  Try Churchill, Manitoba.

Written By: McDonald on 07/30/07 at 4:26 pm

Want cold?  Try Churchill, Manitoba.

Yeah, and bring a shotgun. Polar bear capital of the world.

You know, it was suggested in Quebec to start calling the Toonie a 'Churchill' because of the polar bear on the back, because at present, there is no French word for Toonie (or Loonie, for that matter). They just call them one and two dollar coins (in French though, of course).

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/30/07 at 5:06 pm

True, though I really doubt it gets as cold in Central or South America as it does in North America ;)

I wouldn't bet on that, Rock. Ecuador may be Spanish for "Equator", but it's almost all covered by the Andes Mountains! I have no doubt, even on the hottest day of summer, it can get pretty cold when you're up 10,000 feet or more!

As far as the U.S.A. goes, I'm sticking with Pt. Barrow Alaska, probably our closest city to the North Pole.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/07 at 5:16 pm

Churchill was a port city before the Great Lakes to St. Lawrence River canal system.  It was limited from May to September, of course.

Which is colder: Fairbanks or International Falls?

Written By: philimon on 01/10/08 at 9:05 pm

the coldest winter city is yakutsk, russia. go check weather.com right now, and then tell me what's colder. ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/10/08 at 9:11 pm

I read somewhere than Winnipeg, Manitoba has the coldest winter of any city with a population over 600,000 in the world.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/10/08 at 9:24 pm

I read somewhere than Winnipeg, Manitoba has the coldest winter of any city with a population over 600,000 in the world.
I'll put down some stats so people don't have to search:

Average January high & low: -13°C (9°F) and -23°C (-9°F)
Record Low: -42°C (-44°F)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/08 at 4:51 am

Boston, we can give a chill and cold shoulders on the hottest days in August.  ;D

Written By: Blackjack on 01/11/08 at 4:05 pm

Tower, Minnesota had a low of -60 and a wind chill of about -100.

Subject: Re: Coldest city in (U.S.)America???

Written By: Michael on 01/15/08 at 10:58 am

Fraser, CO has an average annual temp of 32.4F, below International Falls, MN at 34.6F. There are lots of small towns in the Rocky Mountains that have a lower average annual temp than IF, MN.

Written By: La Roche on 01/16/08 at 4:40 pm

I don't know about records, but last time I was in Minnesota they were in a bit of a cold snap, it was about -26F without the wind chill. I don't know about some of you folks that live in the south, but here in the Mid West we can get some pretty damn cold weather, it hasn't climbed much out of the mid teens all week, but temperatures that cold physically hurt! I stepped outside and my skin ached.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/08 at 6:05 pm

I don't know about records, but last time I was in Minnesota they were in a bit of a cold snap, it was about -26F without the wind chill. I don't know about some of you folks that live in the south, but here in the Mid West we can get some pretty damn cold weather, it hasn't climbed much out of the mid teens all week, but temperatures that cold physically hurt! I stepped outside and my skin ached.

Yeeeeaaaah!  I know that feeling.  It only hurts for a little while, then you go numb, which is kinda nice...but then you run the risk of frostbite!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sqcold.gif

It used to get a lot colder a lot more often in these parts.  Growing up in NH in the '70s it was frequently in the single digits Fahrenheit when we headed out to school.  Sub-zero was not uncommon.  We bundled up and wore longjohns and stuff. 

Out in the midwest you don't get the maritime effect, so it gets cold as a bitch as far south as the Texas panhandle (and hotter than hell as far north as Winnepeg). 

The coldest city (not location or town) in the United States is Fairbanks, Alaska, with an average temperature of 26.9 F.  This accounts for summer highs and winter lows. 

Written By: Blackjack on 01/16/08 at 9:04 pm

You know, it was suggested in Quebec to start calling the Toonie a 'Churchill' because of the polar bear on the back, because at present, there is no French word for Toonie (or Loonie, for that matter). They just call them one and two dollar coins (in French though, of course).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GIT R DONE!!!

Written By: KKay on 01/17/08 at 7:14 am

my living room.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/08 at 6:28 pm

Mitt Romney's heart.

Written By: La Roche on 01/19/08 at 12:00 pm

I was out and about last night and the temperature was down to around -10 with the windchill at 3AM. I looked in the paper this morning, without any windchill factored in, Minneapolis was down at -6.  :o Ouch.

Written By: limblifter on 01/20/08 at 5:15 am

It's around -2 F (-9 F with the wind)  right now here in Montreal. Supposed to go down to around -8 F (-22 F with the wind) tomorrow.

I say bring on the cold. I'll take crazy cold over 2 feet of snow any day! Besides, all that cold means that the outdoor rinks will be perfect for playing hockey ;)

Written By: Hector on 09/04/08 at 7:32 pm

Um yea its Barrow it snows in barrow from september to july and in august you get a few snow showeres here and there the hottest month is august it gets to about 40 degrees and at nights in august the temp is in the freezing usually in jan and feb and even march the temps are -50 and the windchill is about -70, BARROW BABY CITY ON TOP OF THE WORLD!!!!!

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/05/08 at 12:40 pm

Cleveland.

At least the attitude is cold there.

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/10/08 at 2:26 am

A footnote about Churchill MB!
It was first formed by the Indians the whiteman dropped off at the shores of Hudson Bay in late fall....
They told them "We'll be back tomorrow with food & supplies".....(last the Indians ever saw of them)
Those that managed to survive the winter formed Churchill......

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/13/08 at 1:38 pm

Hillary Clintons Heart ( Ducking now) ::)

Written By: Wind on 02/07/09 at 9:04 am

Want Cold, go up north in Canada, Thats were the real cold weather is.

Example:  Nunavut, Cambridge Bay There Normals for February, High -22F (-30c)
Low -35F (-37c) thats there Normals, when they get cold snaps it goes even Lower.

Theres Probably even colder city's more north than Cambridge Bay.

Right Now Feb.7.2009  its -34F (-37c) with Wind Chill -53F (-47c) thats there Normal.

Go Canada Go

Windsor is the Most Southern City in Canada, and There Normals for Feb 7, High 32F Low 18F.

I Think Canada Is One of The Coldest Countries in the World.

Written By: Wind on 02/07/09 at 9:11 am

Iam Canadian and enjoy the cold weather Iam not joking i like it.

Written By: EthanM on 02/07/09 at 10:07 am

Yakustk is ridiculous. If you flip the highs and lows and take away the negative signs then it looks like typical November weather here in NY.

Written By: zdog90210 on 03/31/09 at 3:44 pm

Umiat Alaska is the coldest place average temperature wise. check the weather report I'm surprised every time i see the temp. on my iPod Touch always negative temp.'s in the 5 day forecast  :o

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:02 am

I grew up in Montreal, Canada, and it was cold there. Real cold. Snowstorms in October, snow in April sometimes.

Written By: Renegadelawdawg on 07/30/10 at 2:29 pm

All of these are good choices but! the Winner is Mt. Washington New Hampshire with 242 days a year below freezing, Second place goes to Alamosa Colorado with 227 days a year below freezing, 6th place goes to International falls Minn.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/10 at 2:30 pm

Nome Alaska?  ???

Written By: Renegadelawdawg on 07/30/10 at 2:34 pm

Yeeeeaaaah!  I know that feeling.  It only hurts for a little while, then you go numb, which is kinda nice...but then you run the risk of frostbite!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sqcold.gif

It used to get a lot colder a lot more often in these parts.  Growing up in NH in the '70s it was frequently in the single digits Fahrenheit when we headed out to school.  Sub-zero was not uncommon.  We bundled up and wore longjohns and stuff. 

Out in the midwest you don't get the maritime effect, so it gets cold as a bitch as far south as the Texas panhandle (and hotter than hell as far north as Winnepeg). 

The coldest city (not location or town) in the United States is Fairbanks, Alaska, with an average temperature of 26.9 F.  This accounts for summer highs and winter lows. 

New Hampshire is the winner with 242 days a year below freezing...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/10 at 3:51 pm

Antarctica is the coldest place on Earth. It is a frozen desert with little precipitation; the South Pole itself receives almost none.

Temperatures reach a minimum of between -121 °F and -130 °F (-85 °C and -90 °C) in the winter and about 30 degrees Fahrenheit (20 °C) higher in the summer months. Sunburn is often a health issue as the snow surface reflects over 90% of the sunlight falling on it. Eastern Antarctica is colder than its western counterpart because of higher elevation.

Weather fronts rarely penetrate far into the continent, leaving the center cold and dry. Despite the lack of precipitation over the central portion of the continent, ice there lasts for extended time periods. Heavy snowfalls are not uncommon on the coastal portion of the continent, where snowfalls of up to 1.22 meters (48 inches) in 48 hours have been recorded.

1 Vostok, Antarctica -128.6
2 Plateau Station, Antarctica -119.2
3 Oymyakon, Russia -96.0
4 Verkhoyansk, Russia -89.8
5 Northice, Greenland -86.8
6 Eismitte, Greenland -84.8
7 Snag,Yukon, Canada -81.4
8 Prospect Creek, Alaska, US -79.8
9 Fort Selkirk, Yukon, Canada -74.0
10 Rogers Pass, Montana, US -69.7

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/10 at 12:02 am

Antarctica is the coldest place on Earth. It is a frozen desert with little precipitation; the South Pole itself receives almost none.

Temperatures reach a minimum of between -121 °F and -130 °F (-85 °C and -90 °C) in the winter and about 30 degrees Fahrenheit (20 °C) higher in the summer months. Sunburn is often a health issue as the snow surface reflects over 90% of the sunlight falling on it. Eastern Antarctica is colder than its western counterpart because of higher elevation.

Weather fronts rarely penetrate far into the continent, leaving the center cold and dry. Despite the lack of precipitation over the central portion of the continent, ice there lasts for extended time periods. Heavy snowfalls are not uncommon on the coastal portion of the continent, where snowfalls of up to 1.22 meters (48 inches) in 48 hours have been recorded.

1 Vostok, Antarctica -128.6
2 Plateau Station, Antarctica -119.2
3 Oymyakon, Russia -96.0
4 Verkhoyansk, Russia -89.8
5 Northice, Greenland -86.8
6 Eismitte, Greenland -84.8
7 Snag,Yukon, Canada -81.4
8 Prospect Creek, Alaska, US -79.8
9 Fort Selkirk, Yukon, Canada -74.0
10 Rogers Pass, Montana, US -69.7

Antarctica isn't in America and Prospect Creek is not a city.  I think the coldest city still comes out to be Fairbanks, Alaska.

Written By: 2015 on 08/06/10 at 1:01 am

Not counting Alaska (too obvious), it's definitely International Falls, Minnesota. In fact, International Falls is actually colder than some parts of Alaska!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/10 at 1:36 pm

Not counting Alaska (too obvious), it's definitely International Falls, Minnesota. In fact, International Falls is actually colder than some parts of Alaska!

Maritime versus continental climate rather than north versus south.  The ocean tempers the climate in cities such as Juneau and Anchorage, whereas International Falls and Duluth are more susceptible to temperature extremes being in the middle of the continent. 

Of course, once you get up near the arctic circle, all bets are off!

Check for new replies or respond here...