inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Video Game?

Written By: supercute on 05/26/05 at 12:05 pm

Mine is the RPG N64 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, my brothers cannot wait until November when the new Zelda comes out for GameCube...

Subject: Re: Favorite Video Game?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 12:12 pm

I loved the old Sonic The Hedgehog games for the Mega Drive. It just goes to show that less sometimes can mean more! Otherwise, it's probablies either Championship Manager 4 for the PC... addictive but very slow or GTA: San Andreas (an awesome game, but I disagree with the 10/10 reviews it's got - i'd give it 9/10)  :)

Written By: supercute on 05/26/05 at 12:18 pm

I loved the old Sonic The Hedgehog games for the Mega Drive. It just goes to show that less sometimes can mean more! Otherwise, it's probablies either Championship Manager 4 for the PC... addictive but very slow or GTA: San Andreas (an awesome game, but I disagree with the 10/10 reviews it's got - i'd give it 9/10)  :)

DAK, did you ever have the Sonic the Hedgehog game for Nintendo SuperNES? I think it was? & SEGA? My cousins had the SEGA one, I loved watching them play it. There was also another a Sonic game for a handheld game, similar to a gameboy but it wasn't...it was pretty ahead of its time for back then...

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 12:21 pm

DAK, did you ever have the Sonic the Hedgehog game for Nintendo SuperNES? I think it was? & SEGA? My cousins had the SEGA one, I loved watching them play it. There was also another a Sonic game for a handheld game, similar to a gameboy but it wasn't...it was pretty ahead of its time for back then...

I had ALL the sonic games for the Mega Drive (except Mean Bean Machine which sucked eggs), and I think you're talking about the Sega Game gear, which I didn't have either. Other than that, I had Sonic 2 for the Master System which also came with... get ready for it.... THE VERY FIRST ORIGINAL SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GAME! Which is still, even now a damn sight better than all the new sh*t they're coming out with (What's with Shadow the hedgehog and Cream the..thing and stuff?  ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 12:27 pm

Mine are all NES's from the 80's -- both Zelda's, Metroid, Dragon Warrrior 1-3, Mario Bros 3, for starters. :)

This is pretty embarrasing, but the NEWEST system I own is the Super NES. :o

(I stopped playing on a regular basis when I was about 12, so for like 5 years I was out of sync, and it totally changed by '99/2000 that I couldn't fully get back into it. However I've played X-Box etc at friends houses and all, so I'm not totally stuck in 1994 there!)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 12:33 pm

Mine are all NES's from the 80's -- both Zelda's, Metroid, Dragon Warrrior 1-3, Mario Bros 3, for starters. :)

This is pretty embarrasing, but the NEWEST system I own is the Super NES. :o

(I stopped playing on a regular basis when I was about 12, so for like 5 years I was out of sync, and it totally changed by '99/2000 that I couldn't fully get back into it. However I've played X-Box etc at friends houses and all, so I'm not totally stuck in 1994 there!)

I've still got my Master System and Mega Drive as well as (in order of year), Game Boy, Nintendo 64, PS1 and PS2 as well as two PCs. Yeah, the mario games were cool, probs my 4th or 5th fave games, but.... embarassing confession time..... I also used to love the Pokemon games  :-[
Blue and Yellow I had... after that they were all pretty sh*t (not to mention out of fashion), but they were good games (at the time)

Written By: Kenlos on 05/26/05 at 12:55 pm

I am a big fan of the Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid series.  I also enjoy most sports games.  Back in the day I was a big Sonic fan, I used to like the game show games too.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 12:56 pm

I am a big fan of the Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid series.  I also enjoy most sports games.  Back in the day I was a big Sonic fan, I used to like the game show games too.

Game Show? I don't believe i ever owned one of them  ;D

Written By: Kenlos on 05/26/05 at 12:59 pm

Game Show? I don't believe i ever owned one of them  ;D

Yeah they had video games for Wheel of Furtune, Jeopardy and so on. 

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 1:03 pm

Yeah they had video games for Wheel of Furtune, Jeopardy and so on. 

Wow, I didn't know that!  :o
It's amazing what you miss when you lock yourself in your room with your Mega Drive for 5 years!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 1:48 pm

I've still got my Master System and Mega Drive as well as (in order of year), Game Boy, Nintendo 64, PS1 and PS2 as well as two PCs. Yeah, the mario games were cool, probs my 4th or 5th fave games, but.... embarassing confession time..... I also used to love the Pokemon games :-[
Blue and Yellow I had... after that they were all pretty sh*t (not to mention out of fashion), but they were good games (at the time)

Even though I wasn't too into Pokemon, I had friends that like(d) it, so the secret is safe, LOL.

My favorite of the new systems is a cross between X-Box and PS 2 (the latter only 'cause it doubles as a DVD player).

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 1:53 pm

Even though I wasn't too into Pokemon, I had friends that like(d) it, so the secret is safe, LOL.

My favorite of the new systems is a cross between X-Box and PS 2 (the latter only 'cause it doubles as a DVD player).

I'm kinda looking forward to PSP, i might even (gasp) consider buying one (hell, if you've got the money, why not?!  ;D )
The PS2 has had some good games out, though. But saying that, it's also had some sh*t ones as well (Championship Manager 5 for PS2 was a big disappointment for me  :( )

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/26/05 at 1:56 pm

^ Yeah, my store (I work at Blockbuster) has PSP games already, so they're gaining popularity.

When I was a kid, I tried playing the original handheld Game Boy and, even though some of the games were cool, I got impatient with the small screen (well, I was 9, LOL). Maybe I'll take to this one better! ;)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 2:01 pm

^ Yeah, my store (I work at Blockbuster) has PSP games already, so they're gaining popularity.

When I was a kid, I tried playing the original handheld Game Boy and, even though some of the games were cool, I got impatient with the small screen (well, I was 9, LOL). Maybe I'll take to this one better! ;)

boo! the psp doesn't come out here (in the UK) til september  :(
I know all about losing my temper with handheld consoles! I broke my first two game boys, but somehow my third one's lasted up to this very day with only very minor scratches/bite marks/dents/cracks/scrapes. i swear, when I lose it with a game, I LOSE IT!
This post goes out in memory of the 17,567,948 games (so far) that have been smashed into tiny little pieces by being GAY and not letting me win

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 4:49 pm

http://mortal.shang.free.fr/images/culte/mario%20kart/N64/mario_kart_64.png

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 4:50 pm

http://blog.whatfettle.com/archives/NMFPT/pac-man.jpg

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 5:03 pm

My mate was playin on that today in ICT! He got wrong for it... all 4 times!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 5:05 pm

My mate was playin on that today in ICT! He got wrong for it... all 4 times!
;DSorry to hear that ;)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 5:06 pm

;DSorry to hear that ;)

Meh - it's his own daft fault! Coz we're finished our projects in ICT now, so sir asked us just to do so revision for the rest of our exams. Liam the prat went onto a pac-man site to try and break the high score... and got caught 4 times! I mean, if you're gonna break the school internet agreement, at least do it incoherently! (That's what I do!)  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 5:11 pm

Meh - it's his own daft fault! Coz we're finished our projects in ICT now, so sir asked us just to do so revision for the rest of our exams. Liam the prat went onto a pac-man site to try and break the high score... and got caught 4 times! I mean, if you're gonna break the school internet agreement, at least do it incoherently! (That's what I do!)  ;D
;D True

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/26/05 at 5:13 pm

;D True

Anyhoos (we're drifting off topic here) Pac man is one of, if not THE best original game ever made. It's up there with Metal gear Solid, the three new GTA games, Tomb Raider, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pong, Lemmings and Crash Bandicoot - all million-sellers

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 5:19 pm

Anyhoos (we're drifting off topic here) Pac man is one of, if not THE best original game ever made. It's up there with Metal gear Solid, the three new GTA games, Tomb Raider, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pong, Lemmings and Crash Bandicoot - all million-sellers
I like Galaxian as well :)
http://www.wayoftherodent.com/wilbur/galaxian%20sdfr42w3j4htg45.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/05 at 8:47 pm

Super Mario will always be the best video game ever invented.
I like that one as well ;)

Written By: Kenlos on 05/27/05 at 12:01 am

Super Mario will always be the best video game ever invented.

I totally forgot about Mario, how could I forget him.  All the Mario games were some of my favorites.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/27/05 at 2:46 am

Never played games much. But I have enjoyed games like Grand Theft Auto, The Sims and the like. Can't remember the last time I actually played a video game... probably late last year.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/27/05 at 3:49 am

'80s arcade games and the like are great. I'm sure most of you know of this site already, it's one I visit quite a bit for 80s games:

http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/games.shtml  :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/27/05 at 9:15 am

My Nintendo was my constant companion in my childhood days...from the Super NES I got when I was 9, to the Gameboy, Nintendo 64 and Gameboy (I was too young for the NES). Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong and later Mario 64. I actually spent the time to collect all 120 stars...

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/27/05 at 5:11 pm

NES: Super Mario Bros

SNES: Super R-type (It's the first game that I ever beat on all difficulties)

Playstation: Parasite Eve and Gran Turismo

PLaystation2: Gran Turismo 4, duh (but God of War is sick!!)

Xbox: Jade Empire

Written By: jiminy on 05/27/05 at 5:16 pm

Everquest

Written By: AL-B on 05/28/05 at 7:41 pm

Right now I am hopelelssly engrossed in GTA: San Andreas. I also really dig "World of Outlaws Sprint Cars 2002" for PS2. One of the most challenging racing games ever.
PLaystation2: Gran Turismo 4, duh (but God of War is sick!!)
I haven't got GT4 yet (I want to solve GTA San Andreas first), but I'm a huge fan of the Gran Turismo series.

NullandVoid--what's your favorite car and track on GT4? (I've tried it out at Best Buy and haven't checked out too many of the cars yet, but I think it's AWESOME that they included the Nurburgring in the newest version.)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/28/05 at 7:48 pm

I just bought Sonic Advance 3 and The Sims-Breakin' Out for my Game Boy Advance SP..I like the Sonic game because it's not just the blue hedgehog doing battle..he can be teamed up with either Tails(his pal),Knuckles the Echidna,Cream the rabbit,and galpal Amy Rose... The Sims game is cool too...the sim starts out living on a farm with 'Uncle Hayseed'..

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/28/05 at 8:05 pm

Pac Man

Written By: naaacho on 05/29/05 at 1:30 am

grand theft auto san andreas, fable, area 51, comand and conquer generals and sum more

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/29/05 at 1:47 am

I haven't played video games in about a year.  I lost interest I guess.

I always loved the Metal Gear Solid series.  I beat two of them (twin snakes and sons of liberty,) and I heard a new one came out in November 2004, but I haven't bothered looking for it.

The last game I played was called clock tower 3, which was sick.  I really didn't need to see a little girl get her head bashed in with a hammer (God that was graphic.)

And the Grand Theft Auto series is WAY overrated.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/29/05 at 6:13 am

You can't deny that they're not good games, though. You can appreciate the effort that's gone into making the game (San Andreas took what, 3-4 years?), but i'll agree with you that most of their success is down to hype and people saying "this is the greatest game EVER!"

I just bought Sonic Advance 3 and The Sims-Breakin' Out for my Game Boy Advance SP..I like the Sonic game because it's not just the blue hedgehog doing battle..he can be teamed up with either Tails(his pal),Knuckles the Echidna,Cream the rabbit,and galpal Amy Rose... The Sims game is cool too...the sim starts out living on a farm with 'Uncle Hayseed'..

And that's exactly how Sega have completely ruined the sonic the hedgehog games. They were better when it was just Sonic Tails Knuckles and Dr Robotnik. They've made it far too complicated by adding all these new characters. In the case of the STH games, less is definately more

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/29/05 at 6:46 am

You can't deny that they're not good games, though.

Yes I can.  Now granted I have never played (or even seen) the new Grand Theft Auto video game, but I played and beat Grand Theft Auto III and played somewhat Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

All the game is you control a played and accept missions.  That's not so bad, but all the dang missions are the same.  It's drive here, kill this guy, get some money, and move on to the next boring mission.  The only difference is wheather or not you get a time limit, where you kill the guy, what weapon the guy you kill is using, and how long you have to drive to get there/get away.  The game is crap.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/29/05 at 3:22 pm

You can't deny that they're not good games, though. You can appreciate the effort that's gone into making the game (San Andreas took what, 3-4 years?), but i'll agree with you that most of their success is down to hype and people saying "this is the greatest game EVER!"

And that's exactly how Sega have completely ruined the sonic the hedgehog games. They were better when it was just Sonic Tails Knuckles and Dr Robotnik. They've made it far too complicated by adding all these new characters. In the case of the STH games, less is definately more
You really sound like sour grapes here...I actually LIKE it when games add new characters,plot twists,harder levels,stuff like that...it keeps the game fresh and INTERESTING. Playing the ORIGINAL games over and over again once I've mastered them is like using my brain for a useless cause...boredom quickly sets in!

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/29/05 at 4:12 pm

I haven't played video games in about a year.  I lost interest I guess.

I always loved the Metal Gear Solid series.  I beat two of them (twin snakes and sons of liberty,) and I heard a new one came out in November 2004, but I haven't bothered looking for it.

The last game I played was called clock tower 3, which was sick.  I really didn't need to see a little girl get her head bashed in with a hammer (God that was graphic.)

I would SERIOUSLY! Reccomend that you pick up the newest Metal Gear Solid.. It's Called Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater and it's outstanding.

Grand Theft Auto is one of those games that i can enjoy playing.. but not for hours. I own San Andreas (I actually traded in GTA 3 & Vice City to buy it) and i enjoy it.. for maybe.. half an hour or so. Then I'll switch it off and go do something else.. If i throw Metal Gear in to the machine i can easily sit there for hours without realizing. It's totally engrossing.

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/29/05 at 10:13 pm

Right now I am hopelelssly engrossed in GTA: San Andreas. I also really dig "World of Outlaws Sprint Cars 2002" for PS2. One of the most challenging racing games ever.I haven't got GT4 yet (I want to solve GTA San Andreas first), but I'm a huge fan of the Gran Turismo series.

NullandVoid--what's your favorite car and track on GT4? (I've tried it out at Best Buy and haven't checked out too many of the cars yet, but I think it's AWESOME that they included the Nurburgring in the newest version.)

My favorite car is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Yes I know there are plenty of nicer cars in GT4, but it's a sentimental thing :)
As far as my favorite track, it's The Mazda Laguna Seca. That track keeps you on your toes with it's sick turns(especially the corkscrew).
Btw, I HATE NURBURGRING. It's a beautiful track but it's soo friggin long. I aged racing on that thing. I think you're opinion on it will change once you do the endurance race. ;)

P.S. GET GT4 ALREADY!!!! ;D I split my time between GT4 , Fable and San Andreas, you can do it!

Written By: jiminy on 05/29/05 at 10:31 pm

I would SERIOUSLY! Reccomend that you pick up the newest Metal Gear Solid.. It's Called Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater and it's outstanding.

Grand Theft Auto is one of those games that i can enjoy playing.. but not for hours. I own San Andreas (I actually traded in GTA 3 & Vice City to buy it) and i enjoy it.. for maybe.. half an hour or so. Then I'll switch it off and go do something else.. If i throw Metal Gear in to the machine i can easily sit there for hours without realizing. It's totally engrossing.

I hate the music GTA sticks you with, I wish once you choose a radio station in a car that station is in all the cars
I like First Person RPGs, Elderscrolls Morrowind was good, EverQuest is good online but it's slow as hell building up a charactor

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 08/22/05 at 9:35 pm

My favorite car is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. Yes I know there are plenty of nicer cars in GT4, but it's a sentimental thing :)
As far as my favorite track, it's The Mazda Laguna Seca. That track keeps you on your toes with it's sick turns(especially the corkscrew).
Btw, I HATE NURBURGRING. It's a beautiful track but it's soo friggin long. I aged racing on that thing. I think you're opinion on it will change once you do the endurance race. ;)

P.S. GET GT4 ALREADY!!!! ;D I split my time between GT4 , Fable and San Andreas, you can do it!
(bump)

I finally got GT4 yesterday and I love it! You're right about the Nurburgring, it is quite long (as is the real track in Germany). Although I'm having a hard time mastering it, I really like that new El Capitan track. The scenery is quite breathtaking. As far as cars go, my favorite car in the last few editions was the '69 Ford GT40. I think it's really cool that they included a few "old school" race cars from the 60's, and I was quite excited to learn that they added the 1970 Chaparral 2J ("sucker car") in this latest edition. This was perhaps the most insane idea for a race car ever concieved, and it was so dominant in its day that it was banned from competition after only a few races. I finally bought it and, although it's a little tricky to drive at first, once mastered it's almost unbeatable. It corners like you wouldn't believe! ;D

Written By: shiprunner12 on 08/22/05 at 10:00 pm

My favorite games are DDR, Soul Calibur II, the Splinter Cell games, and Super Mario World for SNES. Most of the Madden games are pretty good too.

Check for new replies or respond here...