inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the Number of the Beast 666 or 616

Written By: jiminy on 05/28/05 at 5:23 pm

I found this interesting article online...
http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/skepticism/616666.html

Revelation! 666 is not the number of the beast (it's a devilish 616)
By Tom Anderson

01 May 2005

A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616.

The new fragment from the Book of Revelation, written in ancient Greek and dating from the late third century, is part of a hoard of previously unintelligible manuscripts discovered in historic dumps outside Oxyrhynchus in Egypt. Now a team of expert classicists, using new photographic techniques, are finally deciphering the original writing.

Professor David Parker, Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism and Paleography at the University of Birmingham, thinks that 616, although less memorable than 666, is the original. He said: "This is an example of gematria, where numbers are based on the numerical values of letters in people's names. Early Christians would use numbers to hide the identity of people who they were attacking: 616 refers to the Emperor Caligula."

The Book of Revelation is traditionally considered to be written by John, a disciple of Jesus; it identifies 666 as the mark of the Antichrist. In America, the fundamentalist Christian right often use the number in sermons about the coming Apocalypse.

They and satanists responded coolly to the new "Revelation". Peter Gilmore, High Priest of the Church of Satan, based in New York, said: "By using 666 we're using something that the Christians fear. Mind you, if they do switch to 616 being the number of the beast then we'll start using that."

Subject: Re: Is the Number of the Beast 666 or 616

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/28/05 at 7:05 pm

Damn... There goe Number of The Beast by Iron Maiden, down the drain!  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/28/05 at 7:23 pm

I remember joking about this just a few days ago (to do with license plates for some reason...) Wouldn't it be great having a license plate "EVL 616" ?! (Wouldn't it be funnier if a hardcore Christian guy got that plate)

...Guess you had to be there to understand what we were talking about.  :-\\ ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/28/05 at 7:25 pm

I remember joking about this just a few days ago (to do with license plates for some reason...) Wouldn't it be great having a license plate "EVL 616" ?! (Wouldn't it be funnier if a hardcore Christian guy got that plate)

...Guess you had to be there to understand what we were talking about.  :-\\ ;D

The irony is the store number of the store I work at.... drum roll please... 666. Seriously, I am not kidding!  ::)  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 05/28/05 at 7:35 pm

So that means that they changed U.S. Hwy 666 in New Mexico and Colorado to U.S. 491 for nothing! :D

Written By: jiminy on 05/28/05 at 9:46 pm

So that means that they changed U.S. Hwy 666 in New Mexico and Colorado to U.S. 491 for nothing! :D

Get Your Kicks On Route 666  8)

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/28/05 at 9:53 pm

I think it's the "beast's" cell phone number and PIN code to his bank account! :D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/28/05 at 10:02 pm

Whichever it is, I hope to ignore it taking inventory. ;D

Written By: Kyle on 05/29/05 at 11:08 am

Get Your Kicks On Route 666  8)

Isn't there a boy band name Route 66. Or  it might be one of these future ones in 2009-2012. ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/29/05 at 3:11 pm

I just read this article, and Revelations still says the mark of The Beast is 666. So I'm sticking to that number. :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/29/05 at 4:08 pm

Damn.. I'll have to re-brand all my victims I mean.. Of course it's 666! Bruce Dickinson WOULD NOT LIE!

Written By: Powerslave on 05/30/05 at 12:20 am

New Bible texts turn up all the time. There's not even any guarantee that the ones currently being used are the right ones, they've just been considered as such for so long that they've become gospel (pun intended). What's the point of changing it anyway? If 616 referred to Caligula (which I doubt. Christianity was barely even a religion when Caligula was alive), what relevance would it have now?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 2:45 am

As long as I still remember my ex's phone number, I know the number of THE BEAST!

Written By: goodsin on 05/30/05 at 7:42 am

As long as I still remember my ex's phone number, I know the number of THE BEAST!

Wow, Max, you went out with her too?  ;D

Cannibal pun- "we must share the same taste in women!"  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/30/05 at 10:33 am

I think it's the "beast's" cell phone number and PIN code to his bank account! :D

Satan has a cell phone?  :o  ;D

Written By: jiminy on 05/30/05 at 1:45 pm

http://www.skatetheplanet.com/design/proposed/SRS%20route%20666.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 2:12 pm

Wow, Max, you went out with her too?  ;D

Cannibal pun- "we must share the same taste in women!"  ;D

Well, I had to pound that one for hours with a meat tenderizer, tough little b****!
:-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 2:13 pm

http://www.skatetheplanet.com/design/proposed/SRS%20route%20666.jpg

Uh, that's pretty cheesy, my friend.  Like something out of a Hollywood biker movie!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/30/05 at 3:22 pm

Uh, that's pretty cheesy, my friend.  Like something out of a Hollywood biker movie!

;D

Written By: jiminy on 05/30/05 at 3:24 pm

it provided a laugh ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/05 at 7:40 pm

it provided a laugh ;)

Yes, that it did!

Check for new replies or respond here...