inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Best Selling Album Of All-Time - Thriller takes the lead again

Written By: street_walker on 05/30/05 at 6:13 pm

RIAA has recently re-certified Michael Jackson's Thriller which has of 4/25/2005, sold 27 million copies in the U.S. making it the best selling album of all-time, tied with the Eagles greatest hits which has also sold 27 million copies in the US. Michael Jackson's Thriller still remains the best selling album of all-time in the world, with world-wide sales of over 60 million.

Subject: Re: The Best Selling Album Of All-Time - Thriller takes the lead again

Written By: woops on 05/30/05 at 6:22 pm

8)

I'd still listen to the album, though I wasn't even born when it was first released, today instead of the junk that's out now.

Back when Michael Jackson was cool and still had great songs.  8)

Eagles Greatest Hits... There's OK. I've always liked "Hotel California"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/30/05 at 6:51 pm

Best selling "POP" LP. I'd much prefer the Eagles or most other ROCK bands ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/30/05 at 10:19 pm

Robbo, I mean streetwalker...I mean Robbo...bye bye...again ;)

Written By: Im Batman on 05/31/05 at 2:03 am

Just the notion that The Eagles would have the biggest selling album of all-time is so wrong on so many levels.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/05 at 3:56 am

I'm glad Thriller takes the lead over The Eagles.  Those songs on Thriller still sound d*mn hot after 22 years.  All those Eagles songs just sound stale and tedious to me.  They sounded stale and tedious when I was 10 years old too!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/31/05 at 10:31 am

Okay but I can think of at LEAST 100 Albums I'd rather listen to than "Thriller" ::)

Written By: Im Batman on 05/31/05 at 3:11 pm

Okay but I can think of at LEAST 100 Albums I'd rather listen to than "Thriller" ::)

True, but when it comes to albums I would personally take a sledge hammer to, The Eagles Greatest Hits would be right up there.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/31/05 at 3:13 pm

There are several album I'd rather take a sledgehammer to than "The Eagles' Greatest Hits".  ;D

Written By: Im Batman on 05/31/05 at 4:43 pm

Your right.  I would take the sledge hammer to Hotel California, first.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/31/05 at 4:47 pm

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/31/05 at 5:10 pm

Well you gotta respect the guy's comment, no matter how misguided it is. But at least there are no reports of "The Eagles' Greatest Hits" breaking turntables. ;D
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/31/05 at 7:23 pm

I think one of the coolest albums of all time is U2's The Ultimate Fire...The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum are great too!

As for harder stuff...Guns N' Roses "APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION" still kicks major a** even today!!

BTW Axl ruined GnR when he got rid of Slash...WTF was Mr. Rose thinking!?!

Written By: woops on 05/31/05 at 8:37 pm

Depeche Mode "Black Celebration" is more worth listening to than "Thriller" & "The Eagles: Greatest Hits"...

Then again, we all have our opnions & personal taste in music...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/31/05 at 8:48 pm

True, but when it comes to albums I would personally take a sledge hammer to, The Eagles Greatest Hits would be right up there.
Hey everybody's got a right to thier opinions :) Personally I could name a TON of LP's that I think are crap as well but I'm just going to say that for ME personally, I love the Eagles and do NOT and have never thought "Thiller" was that, well, thrilling :-\\

Written By: bj26 on 06/01/05 at 10:50 am

I never bought Thriller and most probably never will. Still don't know what the theme was other than an attempt to rekindle the old 50s horror show genre :o. The mid 80s had a totally different theme going. Thriller video wasn't scary to me, it had some ugly scenes thinking of the zombies and MJ transforming to a werewolf, yuk, not scary at all. The song, Thriller, had a good beat but I was more into the state of the art 80s music oftentimes referred to as new wave, modern rock, whatever ;).  Only song I ever really liked by MJ is Human Kindness not much else.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/05 at 9:43 pm

I never bought Thriller and most probably never will. Still don't know what the theme was other than an attempt to rekindle the old 50s horror show genre :o. The mid 80s had a totally different theme going. Thriller video wasn't scary to me, it had some ugly scenes thinking of the zombies and MJ transforming to a werewolf, yuk, not scary at all. The song, Thriller, had a good beat but I was more into the state of the art 80s music oftentimes referred to as new wave, modern rock, whatever ;).  Only song I ever really liked by MJ is Human Kindness not much else.
Actually, I liked "Billie Jean"...until I realized it's probably about him singing about some little boy named Billie Jean :D And "Beat It" has taken on a whole different meaning as well...though the Eddie Van Halen guitar solo makes it rock for a few moments ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/05 at 9:45 pm

Me too...but I can think of 1000 albums I'd rather listen to than the Eagles Greatest Hits, and having listened to that thousand, as soon as the Eagles CD hit the CD player, I bet I could think of 1001!
:P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/01/05 at 9:46 pm

IMHO Carole King's TAPESTRY is a hugely BETTER album than Thriller...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/05 at 9:46 pm

Iffen I hafta hear Hotel California one more time, I might take a sledge hammer to my skull!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/05 at 9:49 pm

IMHO Carole King's TAPESTRY is a hugely BETTER album than Thriller...

I'd certainly rather listen to Carole King than th Eagles!

Depeche Mode "Black Celebration" is more worth listening to than "Thriller" & "The Eagles: Greatest Hits"...

And how!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/05 at 9:51 pm

Me too...but I can think of 1000 albums I'd rather listen to than the Eagles Greatest Hits, and having listened to that thousand, as soon as the Eagles CD hit the CD player, I bet I could think of 1001!
Yeah but I'd rather walk on broken glass than listen to the croctch grabbing perv ;) I repect you opinion about the Eagles but don't feel the same way about them as you do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/05 at 9:53 pm

Yeah but I'd rather walk on broken glass than listen to the croctch grabbing perv ;) I repect you opinion about the Eagles but don't feel the same way about them as you do.

Well, you don't listen to him grabbing his crotch, unless you're waaaay to close for comfort!
:o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/05 at 9:56 pm

Well, you don't listen to him grabbing his crotch, unless you're waaaay to close for comfort!
:o
;DActually everytime you hear him do his little "Squeal"....I think I know what he's doing :D ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...