inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bigger difference between 2005 and 1985 or 1985 and 1965?

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/31/05 at 12:13 pm

Do you think there is a bigger difference between how things are now in 2005 compared to 1985, or how things where in 1985 compared to 1965?  I ask this cause I realize if you're a kid today, you would view the 80s much the same way as a lot of us viewed the 60s back in the 80s.  And I realize that if you are a kid today, you would probably want to immediately answer "more difference between now and 1985!"   

In the 80s the 60s seemed like just total anicent history, a chapter in our school history books about hippies and the Vietnam War.  Now I was a child in 1985, but in the 80s the 60s seemed so different from what was around in the 80s.  I mean REALLY different.  Just so many things about the culture appeared vastly different.  From the music, the fashions, the technology and the social values.  There was still segregation and open racism going on in the 1960s for instance.  This seemed like something from such a vastly different time to me back as a kid in the 80s. 

I don't know, but I have wondered about this.  Have any of you?  The technology was different and inferior in 1985 compared to now, but still very recognizable.  Most of what we have today are more modifications of that 80s technology, rather then something just totally new.  No doubt the pop culture is very different from now compared to 1985, we have numerious music video channels on now, but still the difference to me is not as great as my percieved difference of the 60s (and even the 70s at times) Vs. the 80s.

Subject: Re: Bigger difference between 2005 and 1985 or 1985 and 1965?

Written By: Heechee on 06/10/05 at 2:19 pm

Well, I think there are more differences between 1965 and 1985 (although I was born in 1987), but I also think that differences between 1985 and now are bigger than you think. Of course, I don't know the eighties personally (I was too busy playing with toys), but I like this topic and, in my opinion, there are three great differences. First, the yuppie culture and his influence in the pop culture is (fortunately) over. Second, the relationship between people and information technologies is deeper now, almost symbiothic. Third, The values and social trends are less clear now, and that's a great difference where you're a teenager and you're exposed to all kind of risks. And I'm not talking about political differences because there are not important in everyday life, but there are also deep differences in the world order.

I'm wrong, or something?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/11/05 at 11:45 am

GREAT topic, Chris! I've found that, even if I may not always agree with your opinion, I very much like your way of thinking on stuff like this! :)

I think it depends on the situation, but OVERALL, the general "way of life" hasn't changed much since, say the end of the 60's, so I'd go with '65 and '85.

In other words, let's say one of us was beamed back to 1985 wearing our "modern" clothes and talking the way we do - we'd more or less blend right in. An 85-er might be a little confused if we said stuff like "this is tight" (eg: cool), or some of the hip hop-esque slang, but overall, we wouldn't stand out in the middle of a 1985 crowd, whereas an '85-er would stand out in a 1965 crowd.

(Especially if they had a life preserver vest!! ;D ;D)

Speaking of that, we were talking about this on one of my BTTF boards, asking what it would be like if someone went from 2005 to 1975, and most people seemed to agree that '75 and '05 were more "alike" than 1955 and 1985.

Someone on this board even said that the beginning of "modern" culture happened in 1967, so anything after that change wouldn't seem as vast a difference. It could well be argued that the "seed" of today's pop culture started in the 80's - MTV and the like - which I would pretty much agree with.

However, I would have to say '85 and '05 differ more in certain ways, like the MAJOR influence over the Internet, cellphones and the like since the late 90's. In, say 1996 or '97 even, those could be considered luxuries or cool toys, but now they're basically necessities in life -- you'll get a weird look if you DON'T have those today, LOL! ;)

P.S. - It's funny, but I vaguely recall 1985 myself (I was 3 most of the year). As I've said on here before, my parents listened to music alot, so I'd often hear the Beatles, or "My Girl" and other 60's music - mixed in with current hits, and I often couldn't tell a difference! :D

Plus, alot of 60's artists had "comebacks" in the 80's like Starship, John Fogerty and Tina Turner - whereas it doesn't seem like there's that many 80's artists that are having major hits today (except maybe U2 and Aerosmith).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/05 at 4:21 pm

Do you think there is a bigger difference between how things are now in 2005 compared to 1985, or how things where in 1985 compared to 1965?  I ask this cause I realize if you're a kid today, you would view the 80s much the same way as a lot of us viewed the 60s back in the 80s.  And I realize that if you are a kid today, you would probably want to immediately answer "more difference between now and 1985!" 

In the 80s the 60s seemed like just total anicent history, a chapter in our school history books about hippies and the Vietnam War.  Now I was a child in 1985, but in the 80s the 60s seemed so different from what was around in the 80s.  I mean REALLY different.  Just so many things about the culture appeared vastly different.  From the music, the fashions, the technology and the social values.  There was still segregation and open racism going on in the 1960s for instance.  This seemed like something from such a vastly different time to me back as a kid in the 80s. 

I don't know, but I have wondered about this.  Have any of you?  The technology was different and inferior in 1985 compared to now, but still very recognizable.  Most of what we have today are more modifications of that 80s technology, rather then something just totally new.  No doubt the pop culture is very different from now compared to 1985, we have numerious music video channels on now, but still the difference to me is not as great as my percieved difference of the 60s (and even the 70s at times) Vs. the 80s.
I agree with you, Chris.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/05 at 5:54 am

BUMP

In talking about a semi-related thread on another board, I think 1965 is more like 1985 in things like trends. For instance, both were a more rock-oriented culture (and before hip hop took over).

However 1985 is more like 2005 in attitude and lifestyles. There still were the same high school cliques/stereotypes as now (although generally it wasn't as "mean") like jocks, nerds, etc. The beginning of video games and MTV is another example.

I think there was alot more "instantly noticeable" changes from the 60s to the 80s too. 2005 basically is a natural update/extrapolation of 1985.

Check for new replies or respond here...