inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You going to eat that?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/05 at 1:07 pm

I'm just curious...

Subject: Re: You going to eat that?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/05 at 3:57 pm

I didn't know that the  Michelin Man went to McDonald's.

Cat

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/31/05 at 3:59 pm

That's about - what? - four kids for the price of one?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/31/05 at 5:18 pm

that's a shame....it reminds me of those kids that are on the Maury Povich show that are like 3 and weigh 200 lbs...why would a parent do that to a child?

Erin

Written By: Dagwood on 05/31/05 at 6:30 pm

that's a shame....it reminds me of those kids that are on the Maury Povich show that are like 3 and weigh 200 lbs...why would a parent do that to a child?

Erin

I know what you mean.  The mom who gives her 3 yr old 4 or more pieces of pizza because if she doesn't the kid cries.  It's just not right.

Written By: Apricot on 06/02/05 at 5:43 am

why would a parent do that to a child?

Look Carefully At The Name Of This Song..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/05 at 1:08 pm

I'm just curious...

Oh, man, that it is one sorry sight!  He'll be diebetic before he hits puberty.  Very sad indeed!
:(

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/02/05 at 2:59 pm

This is child abuse and it's an epidemic.  I cannot tell you how many children in my daughter's toddler center who are already drinking soda and eating absolute crap at the tender age of two!  Not even in moderation either and oftentimes as a reward.  Other mothers roll their eyes when they offer my daughter junk and I say she doesn't eat it.  We need to teach our children to make better choices in all aspects of their lives, including their diet!

Written By: NullandVoid on 06/02/05 at 6:46 pm

I didn't know that the  Michelin Man went to McDonald's.

Cat

!!! That is sooooo messed up, but funny LOL!!! ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/05 at 9:28 pm

This is child abuse and it's an epidemic.  I cannot tell you how many children in my daughter's toddler center who are already drinking soda and eating absolute crap at the tender age of two!  Not even in moderation either and oftentimes as a reward.  Other mothers roll their eyes when they offer my daughter junk and I say she doesn't eat it.  We need to teach our children to make better choices in all aspects of their lives, including their diet!

Take it from a lifelong sugar slave, they get 'em when they're young!
I was never fat because I had such a high metabolism, but I know eating too much sugar was always detrimental to my attention span and my stamina.  Not to mention those dental bills!
::)
I've also had lifelong clinical depression.  Junkfood was not the cause, but it contributed to the severity of my mood crashes. 
If you've got a toddler who will turn down junkfood, you're very fortunate!
This discussion has cropped up on this board before because the problem is so alarming.  As I see it there are three major factors:
1.  The HUUUUGE portion sizes of candy, soda, and junkfood items, as well as fastfood meals.  When I was a kid a soft drink was 12 ounces, now it's 20 or more.  Today's small order of fries at McD's is the size of a large order twenty years ago.
2.  Kids often left to their own devices at mealtimes as opposed to the family gathering for a meal.  Lack of parental supervision in general.
3.  A sendentary lifestyle which is often forced on kids.  Computer games instead of freeze tag.
Sure, the purveyors of junkfood are shameless in their hard sell to kids, but it's been that way for generations now.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/05/05 at 10:31 am

That's about - what? - four kids for the price of one?

I'll rephrase that: one kid at the cost of four (at least).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/05 at 12:38 pm

!!! That is sooooo messed up, but funny LOL!!! ;D

I know. Sometimes I do have a tendicy of staying things before I think.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/05 at 2:40 pm

This discussion has cropped up on this board before because the problem is so alarming.  As I see it there are three major factors:
1.  The HUUUUGE portion sizes of candy, soda, and junkfood items, as well as fastfood meals.  When I was a kid a soft drink was 12 ounces, now it's 20 or more.  Today's small order of fries at McD's is the size of a large order twenty years ago.
2.  Kids often left to their own devices at mealtimes as opposed to the family gathering for a meal.  Lack of parental supervision in general.
3.  A sendentary lifestyle which is often forced on kids.  Computer games instead of freeze tag.

1. A small today is a large twenty years ago? The small hasn't changed in my lifetime.. it's still very, very small. If THAT was the large, what was the small? You'd hardly be able to fit 5 fries in there!

2. Yeah, I see this. But Does This Really Affect The Food Consumed?

3. Yeah, it's not really FORCED, though. I always got a nice blend, and still excercise every day. It's not forced as much as it isn't deterred. I wasn't allowed it, and I'm only really permitted it now because I have structed excercise. If we had that sort of system, it'd be better. But then, I guess... well, playtime gives one social development.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/05 at 2:21 am

1. A small today is a large twenty years ago? The small hasn't changed in my lifetime.. it's still very, very small. If THAT was the large, what was the small? You'd hardly be able to fit 5 fries in there!

2. Yeah, I see this. But Does This Really Affect The Food Consumed?

3. Yeah, it's not really FORCED, though. I always got a nice blend, and still excercise every day. It's not forced as much as it isn't deterred. I wasn't allowed it, and I'm only really permitted it now because I have structed excercise. If we had that sort of system, it'd be better. But then, I guess... well, playtime gives one social development.

1  That's funny.  I could swear the size of the fries had increased.  Maybe I was wrong?  Anybody else?
Well, they didn't do this "supersize it" stuff in the old days.
2.  A dreary old pediatrician on NPR said so, so it must be true, right?
;)
3.  Some families and/or schools are more conscientious about exercise than others.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/06/05 at 6:38 am

maybe not the fries (I'm not sure, I stopped eat at McDonalds decades ago), but I know soft drink sizes have grown quite a bit.  A small used to be maybe 8 oz or 10 oz.  Now it's 16 oz.  A can of soda is smaller than that.

Several recent studies have pointed the finger towards regular soda, since kids drink a lot more of that now than water or anything else.  Five cans of regular coke in one day, would be half your daily caloric intake under the federal guidelines (for an adult).  I can easily drink that many cokes in one day. I switched to diet cola a couple years ago when I realized that most fruit drinks contain the same amount of sugar now too.

Written By: Apricot on 06/06/05 at 11:31 am

Yeah, my dad is trying to switch us all to diet. I don't mind it, but I prefer regular soda. I don't drink THAT much that it really affects me.

Written By: saver on 06/06/05 at 5:57 pm

My post in a separate column also points the finger at the product companies!

Now the coupons they send out are '?$ OFF 2' instead of  50cents off 1..so if you just want to try something at a slight discount you're stuck buying 2..and the American mentality clicks in to eat both ASAP.

Written By: Apricot on 06/06/05 at 7:37 pm

Ooooh... I never realized that. MAN, THAT'S CLEVER!

Written By: saver on 06/06/05 at 9:46 pm

I only came up with it because I am the only one buying for myself AND DON'T WANT 2 AT ONCE!!(i MAY HATE THE PRODUCT??)

Check for new replies or respond here...