inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: > ¤ ~ YOU & YOUR MUSIC COLLECTION ~ ¤

Written By: supercute on 05/31/05 at 4:38 pm

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own?

2. which ONE is your all time favourite?

3. which artist do you have the most by?

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music?

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they?

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc...

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it?

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about.

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended?

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection?

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on?

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album?

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own?

14. do you lend out music?

15. do you still buy music or just download everything?

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?'

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why?

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for?

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd?

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..?

enjoy...

Subject: Re: > ¤ ~ YOU & YOUR MUSIC COLLECTION ~ ¤

Written By: ktelqueen on 05/31/05 at 7:39 pm

very cool topic,supercute  :)

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? ...a couple hundred albums and about the same for cds :)

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? oh god..that's crazy hard ..i'm going with Rumours by Fleetwood Mac but gotta love so many of my albums,especially the K-Tel ones  8)

3. which artist do you have the most by? Billy Idol from an addiction in my teens  :D(imports/exports/bootlegs,picture discs,etc etc )

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music? Disco tied with soft rock (mainly 70s)followed by top 40 8)

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? too many lol

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... a-z by artists

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? wow..that's really hard..maybe the Default debut cd since it's a bit heavier than what i usually listen to .

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about anything K-Tel(from the 70s,not Mini-Pops kinda stuff  ::) ;D

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? nope  :- nope!!!!!! :o(at least not the vinyl)

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? nothing currently but "Wrapped In Velvet" by Minutes From Downtown(obscure Cdn 80s pop song) took months to find  :)

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? $30 CDN

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? not a clue ???

14. do you lend out music? not very often but i have   :)

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? download these days

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' i pretty much kicked the habit since my collection was spinning outta control :D

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? 24 Greatest Tear Jerkers for the simple fact it was one of my first albums when i was little..back in the days of 'as seen on tv'..K-Tel Records..i desperately needed it(i was about 7 haha) and my parents thought it was too 'old' for me..but i did get it  8)

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? don't know :-\\

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? $12 CDN

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? not since the Billy Idol craze  ;D

album currently on my turntable: Hit After Hit (compilation released by Poly-Tel..1987  :))

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/31/05 at 7:48 pm

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? Approx. 30-50

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

3. which artist do you have the most by? Shihad

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music? Rock (Indie or alternative)

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? Oasis - Whats The Story...? & Everclear - Sparkle & Fade

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... Theres some on the CD rack, some by my bed, some by the stereo, some on the floor...

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Children of Bodom  :o

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. Well... quite a few indie rock CD's I can't be bothered labelling here. The album in my signature (Neutral Milk Hotel) is quite good

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? no.

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection? Wouldn't be the end of the world.

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? Shihad's new one, System of a Down's Mezmerize...

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? $35 (In US$ it's around $25)

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? 70 minutes

14. do you lend out music? Occasionally (sometimes without my knowing)

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? Quite often I download an album then go out and buy it. (Try before buy...)

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' Not much point seeing as I have no Record player

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? No idea

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? nothing...  :-\\

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? $15 (around 7 or 8 US$)

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? No.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/31/05 at 9:38 pm

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? well...combined...I own too many to count.....has to be well over 300-400 or so.

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? Ramones Mania

3. which artist do you have the most by? Ramones

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music? Rock, classic rock

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? Pet Shop Boys Discography & Def Leppard Hysteria

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... I keep them in heavy duty vinyl zippered boxes....by artists

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Rob Zombie

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. The Cars Anthology

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? unfortunately, no

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection? yes

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? none....I download stuff mostly now

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? probably about $18.00

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? I have no idea

14. do you lend out music? nope...I have done it before only to never get it back

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? download

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' I have a big collection

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? too many to answer that

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? um...I dunno, maybe "Disco Mickey Mouse" LOL

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? $10

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? nope

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/31/05 at 11:02 pm

I owned 1,500 plus LP's until late late year....when I GAVE them to my kids...all but 400 ;)

Can't say just one....so for today...and it changes everyday...
1. Boston/Boston~1976
2. Strange Days/The Doors~1967
3. Buckingham-Nicks/Buckingham-Nicks~1973
4. Double Vision/Foreigner~1978
5. Rumours/Fleetwood Mac
6. Rubber Soul/Beatles~1965
7. F.*.C.K/Van Hagar~1991
8. Working Class Dog/Rick Springfield~1980
9. Get Lucky/Loverboy~1981
10.Street Talk/Steve Perry~1984

Beatles...ALL the US AND British Imports

Rock

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they?
A Place In The Sun/Pablo Cruise~1977 and Fohat/Fool For The City~1976

Artist...A to Z

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it?
Off The Wall/Michael Jackson~1979.....not bad at all.

Buckingham-Nicks~1973  BEFORE Lindsey and Stevie joined Fleetwood Mac....awesome LP ;)

Yes

I already did :-\\

The new Weezer CD

$50 back in 1990 for a mint condition Buckingham-Nicks LP

I have NO Idea...perhaps The Doors or maybe the "Dark Side Of The Moon" LP by Pink Floyd....

Yes!

Both

I stopped

My Japanese Import Box Set of The Beatles

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for?
A Hudson & Landry Comedy record from 1971 :D

$5

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..?
Beatles-Yes

enjoy...Thanks, I did
;)

Written By: Kenlos on 05/31/05 at 11:21 pm

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own?  I currently have 61 cds, soon to be 62 as I just ordered a new one today.

2. which ONE is your all time favorite? That is a tough one but if I had to pick one I guess I would go with "Sparkle And Fade" by Everlcear

3. which artist do you have the most by? Everclear (10 cds)

4. what is your favorite style/genre of music? I like all kinds except country, but recently I would have to say Gothic Metal.

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? "Anthology" by Alien Ant Farm and "The Lonely Position of Neutral" by Trust Company

6. how do you categorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... Just by artist and not by a-z.

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Everybody I know knows what music I listen to and what albums I have.

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. Another hard one, but I would say any of Nightwish's albums they are all awesome.

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? I rarely use a cd player so that one really doesn't pertain to me but as for the cds no I don't, probably should though.

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection? More than probably most people can afford and definitely more than anyone would be willing to pay.

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? I have been searching every where for Kamelot's album "Epica" I have only seen it in one store and didn't buy it and haven't been able to find it since, so finally today I Broke down and ordered the dumb thing.

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? $24 but it was a 2 disc one.

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? Not sure total time but it would probably be one of my custom made cds.  Not including those then it would probably be my greatest hits album by Everclear it has 21 songs on it an runs over 70 minutes.

14. do you lend out music? nope.

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? Bit of both.

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' My parents still get vinyls but I am pretty much all cds.

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? Probably my custom made cds because they would be the hardest to replace.

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? I don't know if you would consider the "Dookie" album from Green Day with Ernie on the back of it.  I know that they took him off of it and that the majority of the "Dookie" albums don't have him on it and mine does and I have been told that there are people out there that would give just about anything for it.

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? Depends on what is on the cd but I guess around $15, though less is always nice.

20. with your favorite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? I just like to have all their albums but I occasionally will pick up a single or Import if I find it really cheap, but thats pretty rare.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/31/05 at 11:24 pm

I owned 1,500 plus LP's until late late year....when I GAVE them to my kids...all but 400 ;)
I also own MANY CD's...mostly burned...screw loser Lars Ulrich! I have groups like Weezer, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden...many more and not all burned :)

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 05/31/05 at 11:59 pm

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own?   about 200

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? I cant say I have just one favorite...Back In Black-AC/DC, A Kind Of Blue-Miles Davis, Live at the Fillmore East-Allman Brothers, Beethoven's Last Night-Trans-Siberian Orchestra, 1984-Van Halen, Live in Cincinnati-Jimmy Buffett to name a few

3. which artist do you have the most by? Jimmy Buffett

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music?  Classic Rock

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? Baduism-Erykah Badu, A Briefcase Full of Blues-The Blues Brothers

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... a-z

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Beyond Expectations-Opera Babes

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. Pangaea-Miles Davis...This is a great uncut live performance from 1975 near the end of Miles' "electric" period.   Its a huge 2-CD instrumental improvisational mish-mash of heavy-funk (i.e. Funkadelic), Psychedelic Soul (i.e. Sly&The Family Stone/Jimi Hendrix), Free Jazz(i.e. Miles himself/Ornette Coleman) and traditional African tribal styles.  And its all laid down by Miles and six of the tightest musicians Miles' could find at the time.  Ive probably listened to this at least a 100 times and it never gets boring.  Check it out!!!

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? when I get around to it

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection? most likely no

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? a CD from a group named Svensson, appearantly you cant get it outside Europe

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? about $30

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? Id say the Woodstock Box Set, 4 discs about 1:10 each for a total of 4 or so hours

14. do you lend out music? I just burn them a CD

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? both

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' nope not anymore

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? my rare Jimi Hendrix-Radio One CD, Ive seen it valued at over $100 by the collectors market

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? see #17 and I have an LP of the Beatles Live at the Hollywood Bowl, consequently that is the ONLY album out of the ENTIRE Beatles catalog that has never been issued on cassette or CD

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? $10 since thats about what you can download a whole album for that price

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..no, just their major stuff, a lot of my favorites have such long careers I would have to spend a small fortune to get everything of theirs

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/01/05 at 1:02 am

hundreds....dont know the exact amount, but I own quite a bit...on vinyl, CD, tape, and 8 tack
hmmm....hard question...possbibly London's Calling by the Clash or Rubber Soul by the Beatles
wow....thats a toss up between Billy Joel (i own all of his albums) and Bruce Springsteen (I own almost all of his albums...I think I own more by Billy Joel though)
it depends on my mood...sometimes my favorite is power pop, sometimes blues rock, sometimes straight out blues/R&B and sometimes punk
Teenager of the year-Frank Black and Beck/Ola-Jeff Beck Group
normally by artist....but for storage purposes they are also broken up by medium
I own two Bon Jovi albums (Slippery When Wet and Crossroad) and did like them back in high school...not too big a fan of them now...but the ultimate shocker...I own Monster Ballads...I dont know why lol
Ben Folds Five-Ben Folds Five or Funeral-the Arcade Fire or SMiLE-Brian WIlson or Beck Bogert and Appice-Beck, Bogert and Appice or...so many
when theyre dirty
no..Im a music critic...certainly not
I need a copy of Blank Generation but the only thing holding me back from getting it is lack of time to go to the store....but I have a list of at least 40-something songs (not necessarily singles) that Ive been trying to get a hold of, but I just cant find them anywhere for a good price or on a file exchange service (some are really obscure) or anywhere reasonable.  I just found about three of them through the itunes store (THe Buggles "Clean Clean" and Cheap Trick's "Scent of a woman" and "My obsession"..note, these are the least obscure titles), but I cant find most of them.
one disc CD: $15.  Double disc CD: $25, 3 or more disc CD collection: $50.  Vinyl single disc: $10 Vinyl double disc: $10. 
one disc or two?  im not sure.  I cant even think of a good answer for this one
to friends, yes...as long as I get it back. 
I buy quite a bit...I try only to download single songs that I wouldnt buy the album of
collect is the wrong word...I still use vinyl and buy it like it is still used commonly
damn...um....i dont know
original edition The Paragons meet the Jesters LP, The First Family vinyl, an autographed Brian Daniels demo
depends on its quality....but I hate paying more than $9.99 max...it should be even cheaper than that
Billy Joel is my favorite..I have every album...many on vinyl, tape AND CD...I have a few 45s of his, but I hardly have every single....I have no imports from him...and I dont have every bootleg either. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/01/05 at 1:23 am

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? Approx. 30-50

That's very little.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/05 at 1:59 am

About 1200 commercially pressed CDs.  Number varies with selling and trading.  Then I have about 3000 CD-Rs, this number varies too.  I keep some give away others.  I don't own any vinyl.  I gradually replaced it all with CD, and what I couldn't replace I burned onto high quality CD-Rs.

There's too many, too many genres, too hard to decide on just one.  Anyway, here IS one that's definitely been one of my faves since it was released in 1998: Desde El Otro Lado: Electroacoustic Music from Latin America (O.O. Discs).  I have dozens of electroacoustic collections, but this one rates the highest average in all categories, including proficiency of composition, creativity of performance, sound quality, diversity of sounds, interesting themes reputability of composers, and cool cover art.

Probably John Cage.

Right now I like music in the 12 tone method.  I like it most when it's electroacoustically processed.

From my commercially pressed discs only:
Eleanor Hovda: Coastal Traces
Brian Eno: Here Come the Warm Jets

There are tons to choose from,  chose these because I haven't listened to either in a longwhile, but I've been thinking of listening to both over the past few days.

Well, the commercially-pressed ones are in binders roughly by genre and the CD-Rs are A-Z with a few genre-specific categories, eg "World" and "Folkways."
I really need to come up with a better system, it's hard to keep track of all this stuff!

When my sister found out I owned and enjoyed Pink Floyd's "Umma Gumma" she did a double take.  When she used to play that album when she was sixteen and I was ten, I would shriek That isn't music!, and run from the room!

I'd rather not have my friends know I own and still listen to the Dream Academy CD!

John Cage: The Choral Works I (Mode Records)
Cage is my favorite composer, but people who know him tend to know him only for his reputation for making really strange atonal music with lots of silences and prickly noises.  The Choral Works I includes beautiful performances by the Ars Nova choir and puts to rest the notion Cage was incapable of making conventionally "beautiful" music.

Nope.

That price would hafta be mighty right!

Certain compositions by Lucia Dlugoszewski (1934-2000), that and Jean-Claude Risset - Sud - Dialogues - Inharmonique - Mutations, which isn't available domestically and costs a pretty penny to get!

I generally avoid buying those boxed sets, but I did buy the Joy Division: Heart & Soul boxed set the week it came out for $75.00 U.S.  
I also paid about the same amount for the four-cd historical set Harry Partch: Enclosure 2  (Innova Recordings).  If I wasn't able to get it right through the guy who runs the label, I could have paid upwards of $150.00 for it!

I have a number of CDs that clock in at slightly over 80 minutes.

Heck, I copy it and GIVE it to people.  I don't tell my recording artist friends I do this!  I do lend sometimes to trustable friends, but it's usually easier to just make a copy.

Believe it or not,  I've never downloaded music.  I buy some, I get some gratis from artists and labels, and a whole lot of it I copy from my radio station's collection.

I may buy a nice turntable and start collecting records again if it suits me, but I don't see it happening in the near future.  I worked so hard to rid myself of all those space-consuming records!  I do enjoy phonograph records, but choose not to have a home collection.

The one I mentioned above, Harry Partch: Enclosure--2.  I could have copied my station's copy, but this collection is a treasure curated by one of the foremest Harry Partch scholars in the world, Dr. Philip Blackburn of Innova Recordings.  It was worth buying and having the genuine article.  "Enclosure--2" is only one in a series of several Partch media projects by Dr. Blackburn, but to me it is the best because of all the early recordings of Partch performing his own work, and the inclusion of Partch's hobo diary, "Bitter Music."
http://www.corporeal.com/
http://innova.mu/searchresults.aspx?textfieldName=Harry%20Partch

Everyone else who?  I have plenty of "rarities," but unfortunately, they're so esoteric few people know how great they are and would want to kill for them.  For example, I have Blancmange: Happy Families, and Blancmange-affiliated project West India Company: New Demons.  Both are avidly sought after by die-hard Blancmange fans, but nobody else!

For a standard commercial release of a single full-length CD album, I'd say $10.00.

No, it would be nearly impossible, if not totally impossible to get every recording released by composers such as Cage, Partch, Xenakis, Oliveros, or Crumb.  Furthermore, I wouldn't want to collect every single one because of the vast redundancies involved in the number of the same compositions issued on different releases.

enjoy...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/05 at 2:24 am

Red Ant wrote:
The Seduction of Claude Debussy by Art of Noise is great too ( mostly instrumentals, very different from their previous works ).
Oh, that's a lovely CD featuring the voice of one of my favorite actors, John Hurt.  If you do like TSOCD, might I also recommend:
Derek Jarman: Blue
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005J2M/102-4736687-8038503?v=glance
http://www.learmedia.ca/product_info.php/products_id/1021

and also

Ken Nordine: Colors
http://www.pipeline.com/~dada3zen/COLORS.htm

Art of Noise was an interesting group.  Do you know where the name comes from?

Quirk wrote:
8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. The Cars Anthology
Yeah, The Cars: Just What I Needed anthology is wonderful!  Good liner notes too.  I didn't know Ric Ocasek's earlier band was called "Richard and the Rabbits."  Plus they include some interesting rarities, most notably, a great cover of  Iggy Pop: Funtime.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/01/05 at 2:48 am

I really need to buy some more John Cage

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/05 at 5:50 am

1. 5 Owned, Many Burned

2. Who Will Cut Your Hair When We're Gone? By The Unicorns

3. Ween

4. Shoot, I got a lot. Depends on the song, not the genre.

5. The Mollusk By Ween and The Sophtware Slump By Grandaddy

6. Order I Bought Them

7. Uh.. Moistboyz.

8. Who Will Cut Your Hair When We're Gone? By The Unicorns or BOO HOO by Voltaire

9. Naw... but I will on this recommendation.

10. HELL NO.

11. Uh.. at this point? "Shinola" by Ween.. the new one coming out soon! That or "Live At Stubbs"

12. They Were Gifts

13. Home-Burned... 79:57. Aw yeah.

14. I just make new copies

15. Mostly Download

16. I'd Like To Collect It.

17. WWCYHWWG

18. Craters of The Sac by Ween.. Ween fans would KILL for this thing.

19. 5 Bucks.

20. I'd like to.. I have every track downloaded, but not every album.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/05 at 6:06 am

I really need to buy some more John Cage

Oh, you have some?  What do you have?

Written By: Powerslave on 06/01/05 at 6:39 am

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? Approx. 4000, maybe more

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? It changes from week to week, depending on my mood. It's hard to narrow down an all time favourite when you have 4000 albums to pick from

3. which artist do you have the most by? Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult and Jimmy Barnes

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music? Metal

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? Impossible to answer

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... A - Z by artist, then chronologically by release date. They are also divided into albums and EPs. Compilations are sorted according to genre

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Faith by George Michael

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. A RIse to Power by Dungeon

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? No

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection? My collection is priceless

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? I have a list, but it's too long to add here

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? I spent $99 on Under Wheels of Confusion by Black Sabbath, but that's a box set. Does that count?

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? Embrace the Silence by Vanishing Point and Load by Metallica are both 79 minutes and 50 seconds. Alive in Athens by Iced Earth is 3 hours, but that's a triple live album

14. do you lend out music? No

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? I don't download and I rarely buy stuff. I get most of my music as promotional material for review and because I'm a nice guy

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' Love it

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? There's a few I wouldn't part with.

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? I don't know about kill for, but I have a few collectables: Metallica's Creeping Death on picture vinyl, a copy of Def Leppard's On Through the Night signed by Steve Clark, some other stuff

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? $25 (that's Australian money)

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? No, but it's nice, isn't it?  :)

Written By: Paul on 06/01/05 at 7:18 am

Some rather vague answers from me - I apologise beforehand...

Couldn't honestly say...it amounts to thousands...

Couldn't honestly say again - it can vary daily...!!
However, my all-time favourite single is 'God Only Knows' by The Beach Boys

Most probably The Beatles...all commercially available recordings...

Soul music from 50s (when it was known as 'race' music) through 80s...but my collection near enough covers anything mainstream...

'Time' - ELO
'Jane Fonda's 'Workout' Record...(which originally belonged to one of my sisters (honest!!) and I somehow got lumbered with it...!!)

A-Z...I think it's a guy thing...!

The Best Of Bing Crosby

'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' - Pink Floyd

Not meticulously...only when required...

No...even after several house moves, this heap of junk is still with me...

A little-known slice of Brit 'bubblegum' from 1970...'Stand Up And Be Counted' - The Pebbles

I don't normally like forking out anything over £10 - so I rarely do...

I've still got a 'spoken-word' LP of 'Huckleberry Finn' which must clock in at a hour each side...that's only a guess, as it plays at 16rpm which my turntable hasn't got a speed for...!

No way...not with the stuff I've 'lost' over the years...!!

I mostly download the stuff which I bought many years ago on vinyl...

You want to see my almost legendary 'back room'...!!

Can't honestly say...they all have some sort of treasure attached to 'em...

From a collector's point of view (which isn't everyone else...)

Autographed copies of...
'Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player' - Elton John
'Piledriver' - Status Quo
'Dream Of The Blue Turtles' - Sting
'Born In The USA' - Bruce Springsteen

And two UK Beatles' demo singles...
'From Me To You' and 'Can't Buy Me Love' - both worth £500 apiece when I last looked...

Approx £10...

No...but I've been to record fairs where I've seen some people who have got it really bad...!!

Written By: Paul on 06/01/05 at 7:22 am

Off The Wall/Michael Jackson~1979.....not bad at all.

Well, you've certainly surprised me Mark...!!

Very good album tho'...

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/01/05 at 7:10 pm

Oh, you have some?  What do you have?

I have works of his spread among a few classical compilations and on my comp(not on an album or "Greatest hits" collection) ...I know I have various prepared piano pieces somewhere.  Either on my comp or burned on CD I have "4:33", "Sonata #4", and "Imaginary landscape" (dont know which one...I think I d/led it), as well as d/led prepared piano pieces that I dont really know the names of (Id say "Sonata #1, 2,3 etc" but Id be guessing)

Written By: Paul on 06/02/05 at 1:43 am

I have works of his spread among a few classical compilations and on my comp(not on an album or "Greatest hits" collection) ...I know I have various prepared piano pieces somewhere.  Either on my comp or burned on CD I have "4:33", "Sonata #4", and "Imaginary landscape" (dont know which one...I think I d/led it), as well as d/led prepared piano pieces that I dont really know the names of (Id say "Sonata #1, 2,3 etc" but Id be guessing)

'4:33'...

...catchy little number, that...!!

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/02/05 at 12:18 pm

'4:33'...

...catchy little number, that...!!

lol, I know...to think he created all that out of nothing  ::)

Im very happy to know that you guys are familiar with that piece....it bothers me when people dont know John Cage

Written By: supercute on 06/02/05 at 1:35 pm

Might as well answer my own thread  ;) :)

100+

i love most if not all of them.

Prince

Alternative Rock/Pop/Spanish

NSYNC-No Strings Attached & Jessica Simpson-Sweet Kisses

Color coded

Come-Prince (1994)

Garden State Soundtrack (2004)

I should...

No, as I'll be showing them to my future children  :)

Laura Pausini-Escucha

$52 (don't ask)

truly don't know

heck no

Download only for preview, buy if I like it enough

My parents have vinyl...not me.

don't own any single albums

Gold Experience-Prince/out of print

$10.99

No, but I do have A LOT of obscurities...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/05 at 1:52 pm

lol, I know...to think he created all that out of nothing  ::)

Im very happy to know that you guys are familiar with that piece....it bothers me when people dont know John Cage

"Imaginary Landscape" is one of Cage's most famous, it's one of his best among his hundreds of published works.  I have a couple of different renditions of the prepared piano sonatas.  He didn't invent prepared piano techniques, his teacher Henry Cowell did, but Cage developed the art to a much greater extent.
4'33" is definitely what Cage is best known for, but it's one of the most misunderstood works in the history of music.
It is played at the piano and is divided into three movements. All of the notes are silent. The composition takes its name from the fact that it requires four minutes and thirty-three seconds to perform. The pianist uses a stopwatch to control his tempo. For those interested, there are a couple of CD recordings available, Frank Zappa "performed" it, and his version appears "A Chance Operation: The John Cage Tribute" (Koch International Classics, 1996).  It's more of a conceptual statement.  The idea is to structure time into four equal spans and whatever sounds happen to be in your environment during these "movements" become the music.  Some people "get it," some don't.
Here's a little background on 4'33"
http://cc.pima.edu/users/musictheory/4min33se.htm
The two labels I recommend most for Cage music are Mode Records
http://www.mode.com
They've got the biggest and most accessible Cage collection.
For Cage's really "out there" music, the German label Wergo is your best bet:
http://www.schott-music.com/artist/show,3157.html
There are tons of other labels with Cage CDs available, it just takes a minimal amount of searching.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/02/05 at 2:24 pm

Just short of 200 CDs and exactly 18 vinyl.
    Hard to pick just one.... probably "Music for the masses" by Depeche Mode
    Depeche Mode (by far)
    Anything from classic to techno - no metal please!
    "Live...John Branham Starnes" by John Branham Starnes (never bought it - it was a gift) / "My love" by  Rosy & Andres (wtf??)
    a-z by artists
     "Penicillin on wax" - Tim Dog
    "Sexadelic dance party" - Vampyros Lesbos
     No
     Parts of it - yes. All? Heck no!
     "I predict....1990" by Steve Taylor
     Can't remember, but it couldn't have been more than EUR 30
     Couldn't tell
      Seldomly
      Still buy. Haven't downloaded anything - yet...
      Still buy.
      All Depeche Mode stuff - wouldn't wanna part with that!
      Can't think of any
      EUR 10 max
      Not DESPERATELY....just the things I can get my hands on. I don't frequent shops, fairs or the internet to shop for anything that might be missing. (Heck, I'm missing TOO much!)

enjoy...
Thanks, I have! I'll leave it up to you to convert EUR to USD...

Written By: woops on 06/03/05 at 1:04 am

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own?  200

2. which ONE is your all time favourite?  Taough question to answer...

3. which artist do you have the most by?  REM, Deborah Gibson, and Green Day

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music? Anything but Country (and most current junk)

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they?  UB40 "Labour Of Love" & Alanis Morissette "Jagged Little Pill"

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc...  Style & Alphabetical order

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Nothing really, but my friends were suprised that I listen to Deborah (Debbie) Gibson. Maybe the first few "Now That's What I Call Music" CDs

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about.  Deborah Gibson "Deborah" & "MYOB"

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended?  yes

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection?  nO

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? Anything that I actually want...

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? 25 bucks (30 with shipping & handling) for Deborah Gibson's "Memory Lane Vol. 1"

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own?  Don't really know....most last about 75 minutes...

14. do you lend out music?  no

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? I still buy music. I don't like downloading.

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?'  Yes, I collect 'em

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why?  Another tough question...all of my vinyls since they're hard to fins and the same for most of my CDs

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for?  Most of the "Living In Oblivion" '80's compilation CDs, "Just Say Yes...Sire Winter Music Sampler", and several out of print discs

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? 17 dollars

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? No, but I wish...

Written By: Kryllith on 06/03/05 at 9:36 am

Don't know... lots...

Don't have one.

Probably a-ha

80s (primarily New Romantic/New Wave)

Well many of them are packed right now, so that could be just about any of them. I'll say Meco's Star Wars disco mix and an Ugly Kid Joe collection.

A-Z by artist, then order of release within given artist.

Nothing really... people typically know what I like

a-ha's East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Occasionally. More the cds than the players.

Sure, provided I made a list of all the albums, found people with those albums willing to sell them to me, and got paid for mine more than I paid for replacing it.

Hmmm... Pirate Movie soundtrack I suppose.

$25 - $30 I think, it was one of those gold-plated ones (Def Leppard's Pyromania, I think)

No clue. But if you want to go for the longest song, I've a Dead or Alive album where all the songs (10-12) just mix into one long song.

Occasionally

Buy... typically if I download it's because I haven't found it to buy.

Still collect

Asia's self-titled album (on vinyl) since it's the first one I've ever bought.

Original release Star Wars soundtrack (vinyl) in awesome condition

$10 sounds good

No... have all the main albums except one live album, but I need some of the imports.

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 3:33 pm

50 cds 0 vinyl

symptom of the universe - black sabbath collection

led zeppelin

classic rock

cat scratch fever - ted nugent
momentary lapse of reason - pink floyd

i dont

milenium - backstreet boys
i dont like them anymore

houses of the holy

no

yes for the right price ( over a thousand bucks)

none
34$
dont know
no
buy
'i still collect it'
dont know
dont know
10 dollars
no

Written By: Miss Tainted on 06/26/05 at 5:21 pm

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? - Umm.. No Idea, probably a little more than 25/30. lol

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? - Oh golly this is hard.... Sing The Sorrow by AFI, Once by Nightwish or Meteora by Linkin Park

3. which artist do you have the most by? - AFI

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music? - Rock, goth, punk, emo, metalcore and rap.

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? - My first two cds ever by Michael W. Smith.

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... - I don't catagorize.

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? - For my family (grandparents) it would be any of my rock cds and for my friends it would be T.M. Revolution or Goo Goo Dolls.

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. - I can't list just one.... Macabre or Gauze by Dir en Grey,The Art Of Drowning by AFI, anything by Nightwish and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 by Coheed & Cambria.

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? - No.

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection? - Sure for a million bucks.

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? - None really.

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? - 16 dollars maybe.

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? - No Idea.

14. do you lend out music? - Sometimes.

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? - Both, but I mostly download.

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' - 'what's vinyl?'

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? - Sing The Sorrow by AFI because it started my obsession with them and it's just so beautiful ^_^

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? -ALL MY JAPANESE MUSIC! Okay they are rare but nobody would kill for them.  :(

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? - 14-17 dollars.

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? - No but I must have the majority of their work.  :)

Written By: Gis on 06/27/05 at 6:56 am

Over 800 on vinyl and about 1000 cd's
Couldn't possibly say.I love loads of them and it depends on my mood or what I'm into at the time.
Hmm stuff by a British rock band called The Almighty.
Glam metal,rock and a load of 80's stuff.
Only two?? there are loads !
A -Z by artist within their genre.well I am a librarian !!
Johnny Logan - What's another year(eurovision song contest winner)
John Kilzer - Memory in the making.
No.
Never ! I had a huge cull about 18 months ago and got rid of about 400 albums but I wouldn't part with what is left.
The Unforgiven on cd would be good.
£25
Probably War of the Worlds.
Not anymore.I did and my vinyl was damaged so never again.
Still buy it.
I don't collect it anymore as my turntable doesn't work !
There are a few really  couldn't choose just one.
An Elvis EP and a Bill Hailey 78 my Dad gave me.An original copy of the self financed version of Live Like a Suicide by Guns and Roses.
£10
With The Almighty yes I have all the limited editions, picture discs etc.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/27/05 at 11:38 am

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? Including my hubby's, at least 50 cds.

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? I love them all.

3. which artist do you have the most by? Mariah Carey (no lie), but she's tied with the Dave Matthews Band

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music?  Dance and pop (from early 90s and earlier)

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? "Like A Virgin" from Madonna and "Thriller" Michael Jackson

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc...  I don't.

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Any of my hubby's rap cds

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. Both albums from India.Arie. Once you hear her, you'll go Alicia Keys who?

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended?  no, I really should though. My hubby does. He's quite anal about it. At least someone's doing it for me.

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection?  no

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? "Too Blind to See It" by Kym Syms (1990 dance song)

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? (album - 18.99) single (4.99 - maxi single)

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? I don't know.

14. do you lend out music? no

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? I still buy music

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' I never collected it. Though I still have my own.

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? I would say "Thriller" b/c it was the baddest (mean good) album when it came out and I'm glad to have been there at the time.

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? My Beatle rarities. I've booby trapped them for security purposes

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? 12.99 (most albums today are filled with crappy filler - why pay more?)

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? No.

Tanya

Written By: Jessica on 06/28/05 at 3:12 am

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? About 150 cd's and 8 lp's.

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? My Depeche Mode collection.

3. which artist do you have the most by? Linkin Park, although Depeche Mode is getting up there.

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music?  Pretty much all of them, except country, teen pop, and Christian rap/rock stuff.

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? "Stankonia" from OutKast and Alannis Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill".

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc...  A to Z

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? 'N Sync's first album. :P

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. Dr. Dre's "The Chronic". The original and best of the gangsta rap.

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended?  Nope.

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection?  HELL NO.

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? Any Split Enz album. I can't find them for the life of me.

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? Twenty something dollars on Linkin Park's "Meteora" enhanced cd/dvd.

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? "Madama Butterfly"

14. do you lend out music? Yes

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? A little bit of both. I'm lucky enough to have a sweet a$$ed music store on hand that sells stuff cheaply.

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' I never collected it, but I have a few laying around.

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? It doesn't qualify as an album, but a cd that was made for me by a friend of mine. Why I treasure it is private, but I will say that it has a lot of good memories attached to it.

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? None. I'm pretty mainstream in my music tastes.

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? $10

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? Just about, although my favorite artist/group might change soon.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/05 at 8:00 pm

1. approximately how many albums (cd, vinyl etc..) do you own? Around 200 LP's, 150 CD's and over 5,000 Cassette tapes

2. which ONE is your all time favourite? Vol. 1 by D:Ream

3. which artist do you have the most by? Hall and Oates LOL

4. what is your favourite style/genre of music? Techno/House

5. take this moment to think of 2 albums from your collection that you've not played in quite some time. which 2 are they? Rappin' Rodney by Rodney Dangerfield ~ Bad Habits by The Monks

6. how do you catagorize your collection? a-z by artists? by style? etc... Alphabetical

7. what album in your collection would shock your family and friends to know that you actually own or even liked it? Atomic Kitten - The Greatest Hits

8. recommend an album you feel more people should know about. The 1990 ST album from World on Edge

9. do you clean your cd player and cds as recommended? No

10. for the right price: would you or could you part with your collection? Heck no

11. what album, single, etc...are you desperately trying to get your hands on? The self-titled 1981 album by Gary O

12. what is the most you've ever spent on a single album? $40 - Singles and More by Saint Etienne

13. which is the longest (playing time) album you own? 1983 K-Tel LP - Raiders of the Pop Charts

14. do you lend out music? No

15. do you still buy music or just download everything? I do still buy CD's quite often

16. vinyl: 'i still collect it' or 'what's vinyl?' I do still collect vinyl, both LP's and 45's

17. which part or single album do you treasure the most and why? The Circle and the Square by Red Box.  It's a Holland issue I found at a goodwill a few years ago, and so far it's the only time I've ever seen it anywhere

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? Depeche Mode - It's Called A Heart/Fly on the Windscreen Two Record 12"

19. what do YOU feel would be a fair price for a new cd? $14.99 - $16.99

20. with your favourite artist/s: do you have to have every album, single, import, etc..? Sometimes.

enjoy...

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/10/05 at 1:40 am

18. what rarity do you have that you know everyone else would just about kill for? Depeche Mode - It's Called A Heart/Fly on the Windscreen Two Record 12"

You mean the D 12 Bong 9 ?  ??? 'Cos I have that too. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/05 at 7:15 pm

You mean the D 12 Bong 9 ?  ??? 'Cos I have that too. ::)

Yes, but mine is still sealed in the original plastic wrap  :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/10/05 at 8:52 pm

I am not 100% sure, but it has to be around 400 or more...

I don't own the album, but I think Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" is an absolute best.

The Beatles, and also  Mariah Carey (I was a big fan of her in the her early years

Pop/Rock & roll

Soundtrack to Wild Wild West (1999) That soundtrack is God awful except for maybe 2 songs. Second would probably be when I was liking rap and stuff. One album I can't find, but would love to listen to again would be Janet Jackson's 1993 album.

I sort mine by genre. I actually have A LOT of classical CD's cuz you can get those cheap so those are all catagorized by who released them *Naxos, Sony Classical, Phillips, RCA Victor, etc*

Hmmm, probably my album that is Jethro Tull's greatest hits.

I'd hate to say it, but Dire Strait's "Love Over Gold" should definetly be heard my one and all. Second to that would be Madonna's overlooked 2000 album "Music."

I do. I use to be VERY peticular with my CD's. I would have a near heart attack when my brother would want to absorb my music for a night in my room while I sat in the other room and cringed.

Heck no, it's taken years to get what I've gotten - plus, some hold lots of memories - like my first CD I ever bought, or I can remember who I bought it with - those sorts of things.

Nothing really pressing at the moment, except I do want this album by Lu Watters called Blues over Bodega that I'll have to by on Amazon.com

Probably $27 for a rare classical CD recording of Debussy's Petit Suite

Hmm, don't most hit the 80 minute mark? I'd think the Beatles White Album get's close to that.

14. do you lend out music? I was very against it and then I loaned a CD to my cousin and when I got in her car and asked if I could have it back, her boyfriend said it was looking dirty and he took his tongue and cleaned it right in front of me - that was the last time I ever loaned one out (except to my boyfriend or brother - two people I KNOW will treat my Cd's the same way I'd want them to be treated :0)

I buy and download - but I also purchase MP3's over Rhapsody.com

I have inherited my mom's vinyl collection.

I think my En Vogue Funky Divas CD I bought when I was 10 holds dear to me because I can't believe I've held onto it for so long and I actually really enjoy listening to it from time to time

I don't know if I have any rarities - I have a few CD's that were recorded by a man in Virginia who's a novelty piano player. One is signed by my ex-boyfriend who designed the covers for them.

$8.99 I think is perfectly fair. $7.99 is a tad bit better and a great deal! Anything over $15.99 feels like a rip off unless you're getting 2 cd's. If they can sell classical CD's for $7.99, why can't others?

Well, with the Beatles it was getting that way for me, but I still have some missing. I do have a rare import CD of conversations with the Beatles that I probably should have never paid for.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/05 at 10:27 pm

I meant to respond to this awhile ago, but it slipped my mind. Here's my chance to correct that. ;)

Counting both tapes and CD's -- no multiple copies or ones I have in both formats -- roughly 1000.

Dang, I knew this would come up. I like so many, but if I had to pick one, probably Sports from Huey Lewis. Aside from the memories attached, it's just great 80's pop/rock all the way through. 

Weird Al Yankovic. I have all 11 of his albums. Others I have alot of include Tom Petty, Van Halen, Eddie Money and the Beatles.

Classic rock/ 80's pop-rock.

Good question. Any that I start forgetting what the songs are like, lol. Cheap Trick's The Doctor and Survivor's Too Hot to Sleep come to mind.

A to Z. I have a separate section for compilations/soundtracks/comedy albums too.

Britney Spears' Baby One More Time. (Hey!!! I like "Sometimes"). ;D

We'd be here all night, lol. One that I love is John Cafferty's Tough all Over. Great retro-ish 80's rock.

Yep. I'm pretty anal about all that. I clean the CD lenses as well as the tape heads of every boombox I have every three months or so (with Q-tips).

Heck no! Yeah on one hand, it's music, but some of it also holds memories (eg: albums we bought when I was a kid). Plus, I've SPENT alot of money on it too.

Tons. I'll get back to you on this. Mostly 80's stuff and some out of print compilations I always keep my eyes out for in secondhand shops.

Me myself? Probably 20 bucks on a 2-disc import of Hall & Oates greatest hits (I almost always shop used, so that's why I typically spend less).

Can't be longer than 80 minutes, lol. So that honor would have to be the Beatles' White Album. It's in two parts.

Some. Only ones that (1) I don't have a sentimental attachment to, and (2) isn't rare. Most of the time, I make mix tapes and CD's for people instead.

Buy almost exclusively. Some friends have sent me songs online though.

Don't have any myself, but I've considered it every time I run across a used LP of a really rare album or one I'd love to have.

Again, a toss between Huey Lewis' Sports with the Beatles' White Album. Partially 'cause both of my CD copies are from 1986 - back on the very first time my dad bought CD's!

Again I'll have to think about this a bit.

Depends on the demand/length/quality of the album. Overall, ones that are $18 now should be $9-12 or so. As recently as 1998-2001 I bought cassettes new since they were only about that much.

Albums yes. I've never really been a collector of singles though (although I did buy alot of cassette singles in the 90's, since I was more "cherrypicking" with music I liked then, as opposed to liking everything - ie the 80's).

Cool quiz! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...