inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do some people have a fear of computers?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/02/05 at 5:30 pm

I really have to wonder why some people have a fear of computers...or a non-interest or dislike of them....

To be honest, I truly AM a cybernut..I really think my Presario is cool...as is the 'Net...

I wonder if some people's fear comes from sci-fi novels,movies,and TV shows that make computers God-like,controlling,and infallible...

Or they fear that turning on the thing or pushing the 'wrong' button causes major catastrophe...which is NOT true...

or that those with a mental illness believe that computers can control their mind...

I just find myself wishing that more people would be open to using technology...I find it hugely helpful..and totally FUN.
or just that some people are narrow-minded about learning something that to them is 'complicated'...

Subject: Re: Why do some people have a fear of computers?

Written By: Kryllith on 06/03/05 at 9:43 am

In many cases it's not so much as fear as it is of an unwillingness to learn someone new. Some people don't want to bother with learning new technologies. They can accept it being around them, and even its affects on their daily lifes, but choose not to use them because, typically, they've gotten along fine without them before and are perfectly happy doing what they've been doing. After all, why shell out the money if you're already happy with what you've got.

Those that are afraid may be so because they think they might break something they just shelled out a lot of money for. Others might be afraid of things like identify theft, or about their kid being kidnapped by some internet stalker who learns too much, which can be a serious concern to people that do not know how to protect themselves...

Subject: Re: Why do some people have a fear of computers?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/03/05 at 5:58 pm

I think the reason why I'm so comfortable with technology is that I've been around it since childhood. Two of my uncles were TV repairmen and they installed my mom's FIRST color TV...which was when color tv was still NEW to many folks(1965 and color TV really started on a nationwide network in 1954-eleven years was still new to many coz tech was not fast-paced) and I had stuff like radios and REAL record players(not the 'kiddie' type)as a kid...And when video games were  introduced I hung around arcades playing Centipede...

Check for new replies or respond here...