inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Cellphones become "everyday"?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/05/05 at 12:36 pm

Carphones were an early popular version of cellphones. Especially in the first half of the '90s, people used these alot. They were as big as a brick and it plugged into a car's cigarette lighter, lol. In the mid 90's, I started seeing some primitive cellphones. But as far as people routinely carring them around, probably more like '98. Although they weren't QUITE became as mainstream as they are now until 2001.

Subject: Re: When did Cellphones become "everyday"?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/05/05 at 1:33 pm

We got our first family cellphone back in 1996, it was a pretty big nokia, and of course all it pretty much did was call people. I got my own in 1998, a nokia as well but a little smaller. By 1999 we got our first digital cell phones and in 2000 I had my first experience with wireless web. When did they become everyday probably somewhere around 2000.

Written By: Kyle on 06/05/05 at 2:50 pm

It is most likely around circa 1998-1999 when cell phone start to get the way they are; a obsessive, must have toy.  In fact, the only time I use my cell phone is to call my friends.

:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/05/05 at 11:04 pm

1996 or 1997

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/05 at 2:05 am

1996 or 1997

That's when they became annoying every day!  As Garrison Keillor said, "the cell phone is the perfect invention for people who never liked the idea of being quiet in public!"
::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 10:46 am

That's when they became annoying every day!  As Garrison Keillor said, "the cell phone is the perfect invention for people who never liked the idea of being quiet in public!"
::)

Well said!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/06/05 at 5:35 pm

cellphones became everyday when people have been using city buses as phone booths. >:(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/10/05 at 12:26 pm

I started selling Ericsson, Motorola and Nokia mobile phones from early 1993 onwards.

Initially my sales were mainly for businessmen, salesmen, and wealthy women who needed a status symbol. Bearing in mind the cheapest phone in my warehouse was $3500 !

By 1996 every one I knew had bought one from me. All ages, both sexes.

I still have my first analogue hotline ericsson. ITS HUGE - yet it was the smallest available in its day !  Its fab features were a rubber flip up antenna and oooooooh back lit keypad, a whopping 20 number storage, and a batterylife of WOW 2 hours !!!!! 

I saved it for 2020 when I get invited to a "Back to the 90's party" !!!!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 06/10/05 at 3:01 pm

I think it was around 1999 when cellphones became "everyday".I miss the days when you used to bring a quarter with you to call someone on a pay phone.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/10/05 at 8:00 pm

If I had a cellphone, I'd have it switched off 90% of the time. It would probably only be used to make phone calls rather than receive them. And if you can't reach me, then tough!

Written By: Carrie on 06/10/05 at 9:10 pm

Cell phones sure have "evolved" over a very short amount of time.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/05 at 6:13 pm

Cell phones sure have "evolved" over a very short amount of time.

sort of like in 3-4 years.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/05 at 6:16 pm

You see a bunch of people on the bus on their cell phone these days.If you said anything today to a person like"Be Quiet Please",watch and see how fast you'll get off the bus cause in this day and age,there are no more courteous people around. >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...