inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Man with bloodied chain saw let into the U.S.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/08/05 at 10:06 am

BOSTON (AP) - On April 25, Gregory Despres arrived at the U.S.-Canadian border crossing at Calais, Maine, carrying a homemade sword, a hatchet, a knife, brass knuckles and a chain saw stained with what appeared to be blood. U.S. customs agents confiscated the weapons and fingerprinted Despres. Then they let him into the United States.

The following day, a gruesome scene was discovered in Despres' hometown of Minto, New Brunswick: The decapitated body of a 74-year-old country musician named Frederick Fulton was found on Fulton's kitchen floor.

His head was in a pillowcase under a kitchen table. His common-law wife was discovered stabbed to death in a bedroom.

Despres, 22, immediately became a suspect because of a history of violence between him and his neighbors, and he was arrested April 27 after police in Massachusetts saw him wandering down a highway in a sweat shirt with red and brown stains. He is now in jail in Massachusetts on murder charges, awaiting an extradition hearing next month.

At a time when the United States is tightening its borders, how could a man toting what appeared to be a bloody chain saw be allowed into the country?

Bill Anthony, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said the Canada-born Despres could not be detained because he is a naturalized U.S. citizen and was not wanted on any criminal charges on the day in question.

Anthony said Despres was questioned for two hours before he was released. During that time, he said, customs agents employed "every conceivable method" to check for warrants or see if Despres had broken any laws in trying to re-enter the country.

"Nobody asked us to detain him," Anthony said. "Being bizarre is not a reason to keep somebody out of this country or lock them up. ... We are governed by laws and regulations, and he did not violate any regulations."

Anthony conceded it "sounds stupid" that a man wielding what appeared to be a bloody chain saw could not be detained. But he added: "Our people don't have a crime lab up there. They can't look at a chain saw and decide if it's blood or rust or red paint."

Sgt. Gary Cameron of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police would not comment on whether it was, in fact, blood on the chain saw.

On the same day Despres crossed the border, he was due in a Canadian court to be sentenced on charges he assaulted and threatened to kill Fulton's son-in-law, Frederick Mowat, last August.

Mowat told police Despres had been bothering his father-in-law for the past month. When Mowat confronted him, Despres allegedly pulled a knife, pointed it at Mowat's chest and said he was "going to get you all."

Police believe the dispute between the neighbors boiled over in the early-morning hours of April 24, when Despres allegedly broke into Fulton's home and stabbed to death the musician and 70-year-old Veronica Decarie.

Fulton's daughter found her father's body two days later. His car was later found in a gravel pit on a highway leading to the U.S. border. Despres hitchhiked to the border crossing.

After the bodies were found on the afternoon of April 26, police set up roadblocks and sent out a bulletin that identified Despres as a "person of interest" in the slayings, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The bulletin caught the eye of a Quincy police dispatcher because it gave the suspect's Massachusetts driver's license number, missing a character. The dispatcher plugged in numbers and letters until she found a last known address for Despres in Mattapoisett. She alerted police in that town, and an officer quickly spotted Despres.

In state court the next day, Despres told a judge that he is affiliated with     NASA and was on his way to a Marine Corps base in Kansas at the time of his arrest.

After the case was transferred to federal court, Despres' attorney, Michael Andrews, questioned whether his client is mentally competent.

Fulton's friends in Minto, a village of 2,700 people, told the New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal that he was a popular musician, a guitarist known as the "Chet Atkins of Minto" and a 2001 inductee in the Minto Country Music Wall of Fame.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050608/ca_pr_on_na/us_cda_slayings;_ylt=Ahtd8liNjLxW_VVi71q.owWFM1IB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Subject: Re: Man with bloodied chain saw blood let into the U.S.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/08/05 at 10:09 am

I still trying to figure what the first clue was that guy shouldn't been let into the U.S., he had a bloody chainsaw! Go figure....  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/08/05 at 7:46 pm

Still.... he had a bloody chainsaw.....  ::)

Written By: Apricot on 06/08/05 at 11:27 pm

Saw this earlier today, then saw this post.

I'd laugh at how stupid people have to be to let this happen if it didn't scare the crap out of me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/05 at 11:29 pm

I wasn't aware Chainsaws HAD blood ???

Written By: Apricot on 06/08/05 at 11:33 pm

I wasn't aware Chainsaws HAD blood ???

Hm.. I'm wondering where all this blood came from.. does not one clean their chainsaw once done with the slaughter?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/05 at 11:13 am

Hm.. I'm wondering where all this blood came from.. does not one clean their chainsaw once done with the slaughter?
Yeah, I was a little confused by the wording of the thread title....bloodied chain saw blood ???

Written By: Apricot on 06/09/05 at 11:14 am

Oh, I didn't notice that extra 'blood' in the title.. my mind just subconciously skipped it.  ;D Weird..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/05 at 11:36 am

Oh, I didn't notice that extra 'blood' in the title.. my mind just subconciously skipped it.  ;D Weird..
Yeah, took me a few times to notice something was amiss about a bleeding chain saw :D

Subject: Re: Man with bloodied chain saw let into the U.S.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/09/05 at 10:45 pm

Sorry, it's man with bloody chainsaw.... My bad.  :-[

Written By: Apricot on 06/10/05 at 11:54 am

Meh, it's cool.. typo, we all get 'em.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/15/05 at 8:12 pm

That makes me wonder who the h*ll else is getting into this country via the Great White North..possibly members/symphathizers of Al-Queda(spelling?)?

Where the h*ll is our Border Patrol up north....and why do they let the criminal elements from another country come in here to possibly do friggin' murder,terrorism, and other mayhem here in America!?!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/15/05 at 8:15 pm

I'm not implying that all from Canada are bad. Just who is slipping by a lax Border Patrol in the North...I think both borders should be well-guarded....or another 9-11 could happen...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/15/05 at 11:15 pm

Why didn't he clean the blood off before he entered?  ???

Written By: Gis on 06/16/05 at 6:02 am

I know I have a sick sense of humour but this just cracked me up ! It's like something out of a comedy horror film.I just love the fact they confiscated the 'items' I would love to know how he explained them away 'Excuse me sir can you explain why you have a bloody chainsaw in you baggage'.Do you think they asked him if he packed the bags/car himself ?? Seriously now as a border guard wouldn't you have just been the tiniest bit tempted to test the blood on the chainsaw or to check his previous address details..........

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/16/05 at 2:33 pm

I know I have a sick sense of humour but this just cracked me up ! It's like something out of a comedy horror film.I just love the fact they confiscated the 'items' I would love to know how he explained them away 'Excuse me sir can you explain why you have a bloody chainsaw in you baggage'.Do you think they asked him if he packed the bags/car himself ?? Seriously now as a border guard wouldn't you have just been the tiniest bit tempted to test the blood on the chainsaw or to check his previous address details..........

Border officals would have a field day with Leatherface....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Guiness on 06/16/05 at 2:42 pm

Boarder officials are human, they make mistakes just like everybody does on there jobs.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/16/05 at 2:55 pm

Boarder officials are human, they make mistakes just like everybody does on there jobs.

Yeah, but it's a chainsaw.... with blood on it....  ::)

Written By: Guiness on 06/16/05 at 2:57 pm

Yeah, but it's a chainsaw.... with blood on it....  ::)

Dried blood doesn't always look like blood, thogh.  YOu can't have Gus Grissom from CSI standing at the border inspecting everyone.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/16/05 at 2:58 pm

Dried blood doesn't always look like blood, thogh.  YOu can't have Gus Grissom from CSI standing at the border inspecting everyone.

Maybe that's who they need...  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/16/05 at 3:17 pm

Sorry, it's man with bloody chainsaw.... My bad.  :-I was teased about my "Mokees" thread in the 60's so I was just having a laugh. No harm intended ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/16/05 at 4:54 pm

On a serious note....the man with that d*mn chainsaw could have picked a fight with someone here in America....and committed another cold-blooded murder! That guy is off his rocker IMHO.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/16/05 at 4:57 pm

Border officals would have a field day with Leatherface.... ::) ;D
Or even Jason...with that hockey mask and his trusty ol' AX!!

Written By: Gis on 06/17/05 at 1:32 am

True, but surely in conjunction with all the other stuff he had like the home made sword,hachet and knife alarm bells must have rung ??
Just because they confiscated them they can't have thought "Right now we've taken them away he won't possibly go out and buy/make any more weapons"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/17/05 at 9:50 am

True, but surely in conjunction with all the other stuff he had like the home made sword,hachet and knife alarm bells must have rung ??
Just because they confiscated them they can't have thought "Right now we've taken them away he won't possibly go out and buy/make any more weapons"

I'm with you on that on....

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny.....

"What a bunch of maroons."  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/05 at 2:15 pm

That makes me wonder who the h*ll else is getting into this country via the Great White North..possibly members/symphathizers of Al-Queda(spelling?)?

Where the h*ll is our Border Patrol up north....and why do they let the criminal elements from another country come in here to possibly do friggin' murder,terrorism, and other mayhem here in America!?!

Well, they made a colossal bunder in the case of this whackjob, but I've seen no evidence of hellions coming from New Brunswick in general.
Calais isn't the most remote crossing in Maine, but it is way out in the middle of the woods.  Like the article says, they don't have a forensic lab up there, so they couldn't tell if it was blood or paint.  I wouldn't err on the side of paint, but that's what the customs officials did.  Maybe the big boys in Ottawa will outfit border crossings with some testing equipment so there won't be guesswork in the case of the next red-speckled chainsaw.
It's not so odd for a person to cross Maine-NB border with a chainsaw.  You've got a lot of sawyers and lumber workers up there.   On the other hand, hardy woodsmen don't look like gothic psychopaths!
Anyway, this kid only made it as far as Plymouth, Mass., before the cops nabbed him.  All's well that ends well, not that things ended well for Mr. and Mrs. Chet-Atkins-of-Minto!
:o

Gregory Despres
http://www.hoosierilluminati.com/images/uploads/freak.jpg
He doesn't look the type, does he?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/17/05 at 6:31 pm

Well, they made a colossal bunder in the case of this whackjob, but I've seen no evidence of hellions coming from New Brunswick in general.
Calais isn't the most remote crossing in Maine, but it is way out in the middle of the woods.  Like the article says, they don't have a forensic lab up there, so they couldn't tell if it was blood or paint.  I wouldn't err on the side of paint, but that's what the customs officials did.  Maybe the big boys in Ottawa will outfit border crossings with some testing equipment so there won't be guesswork in the case of the next red-speckled chainsaw.
It's not so odd for a person to cross Maine-NB border with a chainsaw.  You've got a lot of sawyers and lumber workers up there.  On the other hand, hardy woodsmen don't look like gothic psychopaths!
Anyway, this kid only made it as far as Plymouth, Mass., before the cops nabbed him.  All's well that ends well, not that things ended well for Mr. and Mrs. Chet-Atkins-of-Minto!
:o

Gregory Despres
http://www.hoosierilluminati.com/images/uploads/freak.jpg
He doesn't look the type, does he?

This dude just might give a bad name to Goths everywhere....that would be horrible coz most Goths are not as psycho as this sicko is!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/17/05 at 6:32 pm

This dude just might give a bad name to Goths everywhere....that would be horrible coz most Goths are not as psycho as this sicko is!!
He looks like he's stoned outta his mind on something chemical....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/18/05 at 10:55 pm

A murderer is a murderer no matter how he looks >:(

Written By: Climber on 06/18/05 at 11:28 pm

Why didn't he clean the blood off before he entered?  ???

Maybe, subconsciously, he wanted to be caught... ???

Check for new replies or respond here...